[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /an/! Yesterday I noticed our Megalechis thoracata is all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151206_145557.jpg (2 MB, 3328x2496) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151206_145557.jpg
2 MB, 3328x2496
Hi /an/! Yesterday I noticed our Megalechis thoracata is all swollen up. Especially his eyes and belly. He is about 10 years old and I read that their life span is around 5 years, but his buddy is also about 10 years old and he is fine
>>
have you tested if it was constipation?
>>
>>2012148
How do you test that? I dont usually see them poop. I dont have spare tank to isolate him
>>
>>2012223
>I dont usually see them poop
I never saw my hoplo poop either for years. At this point I figure, it's magic.
>10 years old and I read that their life span is around 5 years
Take that with a grain of salt. They are relatives of corys and some of those live for ~20 years or even older.
>all swollen up. Especially his eyes and belly
Sorry, I can't help you with that, mine never had a problem like this. But if the other is healthy, it's probably not an infectious disease. Maybe a fish bladder problem? Or constipation, like that anon said?>>2012148 I don't know. How do you even cause a fish to have diearrhea anyway lol? I think you should research what to feed him in this case.
Hope he'll get better
>>
Swelling might be due to dropsy, look it up.
>>
>>2012098
Bacterially linked edema. Treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic....Perform water changes...provide me with ammonia and nitrite parameters.

life span of most armored catfish are 10years plus. Quoted numbers tend to be from outdated data before modern aquarium husbandry (availability of high end filtration equipment, understanding of energy cycles in the aquarium and easy access to antibiotics) was full developed.

I would go get some Maracyn II and treat accordingly.

With more symptoms a more targeted antibiotic cocktail can be suggested. However Maracyn II is a good start. Treat early for best prognosis.
>>
>>2012304
Forgot to mention that many cats get pot-bellies with age. Eye swelling is highly indicative of pathology.
>>
>>2012306
hahaha, what? You mean catfishes get fat too as they grow older?
>>
He is bloted and his scales are up, it's probably dropsy and he is dead if it is. Just pray the others don't get it
>>
>>2013063
yep. Especially in an aquarium where food is plentiful and there isn't much swimming to do. Pretty normal. I know of some 20+ year old catfish that have a nice healthy gut.
>>
>>2012148
>>2012223
>>2012233

you can give a fish cold boiled peas as a laxative.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.