[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Breeders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: Cute-White-Puppies-04.jpg (122 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Cute-White-Puppies-04.jpg
122 KB, 1024x768
Does this breeder seem reputable to /an/?
http://midlakecavaliers.com/

Some things I'm suspicious of -
>the amount of puppies/dogs they have and are planning to have
>only 1 year health guarantee
>no guarantee on puppy's temperament (is this even a common thing?)
>say they breed healthy puppies, but have no information on any health tests
>doesn't state they do anything with the dogs; no agility, obedience, sports, confirmation etc
>deem puppies and adult dogs purchased are not always able to be registered or registerable with any animal registry (isn't registering just to say this puppy came from the two same registered purebred parents?)
I could always e-mail her for more information, but I don't want to come off as a prick.

If there are other red flags, I'm being too uptight or what I listed is actually on the site, by all means let me know.

Not a red flag but bothers me a little
>they are not fans of crate training
Might fuck me up on the application

Also general breeder rate/cringe thread.
>>
>>2011710
I think you answered your own question, anon
>>
>9 litters for 2016
>they have 26 spaniels(this includes current breeders and retired breeders), and more than one border collie

That alone answers your question. I don't know how often they breed one bitch but this is too much two people(who apparently also have border collies and farm animals). Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are also shit dogs, OP. Like, some of the worst, most fucked up health problems you can get in a dog.

On top of that, they make no mention of THEIR dog's health besides 'they're healthy' on some of them, but they have a portion of their site briefly dedicated to the breed's health problems in general. It looks like its written in a way to weasel out of something, such as if they really are breeding the worst kind of cavaliers without any thought or effort into improving their health then they can just say that it's your fault for choosing the breed.
>>
>>2011710
>the amount of puppies/dogs they have and are planning to have
keep in mind they're only expecting 4-5 puppies per litter
>only 1 year health guarantee
guarantee is only for genetic defects
>no guarantee on puppy's temperament (is this even a common thing?)
don't think that's a common thing- how can any breeder guarantee it? better to check out the parents
>say they breed healthy puppies, but have no information on any health tests
something to ask the breeder about.
>doesn't state they do anything with the dogs; no agility, obedience, sports, confirmation etc
they state they're sold as pet only. do you need those things for your dog? if so, don't go with this breeder.
>deem puppies and adult dogs purchased are not always able to be registered or registerable with any animal registry (isn't registering just to say this puppy came from the two same registered purebred parents?)
you should do more research into what registration means and if it matters to you. it's more than saying it's purebred.

I like that they have their vet information right on the website. You can always call the vet and ask.
>>
>>2011710
Skip this breeder. There are red flags all over the lace, but most importantly there is no record of ANY of the breeding dogs having any health testing at all.

http://www.offa.org

You can type in any dogs registered name. If they had their hips, eyes, patellas or elbows tested there would be a record of it on this site.
>>
>>2011733
Hence why I am trying to look for a good breeder. Although I think looking for a good breeder is always important no matter what you want in a dog. However, those reasons you mentioned are also why I'm kind of grasping for breeders; ones near me all seem pretty shitty.

>>2011734
Genetic issues popping up in under one year is a feat for even puppy mill puppies. The health tests should at least last a couple years, especially since the big one I'm worried about, syringomyelia, usually pops up at age 3-5 and is pretty much a horribly painful death sentence.

The temperament thing I have seen does not last long, only a week or so, and it is to ensure your puppy isn't cowering in a corner and pissing itself in fear, or is already resource aggressive. I don't know if it's widely done but I've heard of way too many people getting a puppy home that ends up acting feral from the day it was brought home to the day it dies, which is why I'd prefer it but it may not be a big deal in these dogs.

>they state they're sold as pet only. do you need those things for your dog?
I want to make sure they aren't just breeding dogs for the sake of breeding dogs, because that is how genetic health problems arise, spread, and become worse.

As far as I have read, registering dogs is just a way to keep track of and find it's 'lines' and history and shit. Which is important to me; If I'm spending this much money on a dog it better be healthy, and seeing if it's parents and grandparents are healthy is a good start.
http://www.akc.org/register/registering-a-dog/

Calling the vet is a good idea, I'm not sure if they are allowed to give me that kind of information though?

After you mentioned the puppies, I got curious and looked back at it. For a 3 month period they plan to have 6 litters. that's an estimated minimum of 24 dogs in 3 months. However they may work with other kennels, something else I should plan to ask them.
>>
>>2011754
I'm not a breeder and I've never bought from a breeder, but I've seen things about the AKC that are discouraging. I'm -pretty- sure that you can ask the vet about the health problems, because most likely he's been working with her dogs for quite a while. Don't be embarrassed to ask her these questions, either: you're making an important decision!

I know nothing about the breed but if it's true they're prone to a lot of health problems and there's only a one year guarantee, if the vet/breeder can't answer your questions I'd say skip.
>>
>>2011710

http://www.nenycavaliers.com

https://www.ackcsc.org/images/2015_Breeder_Referralfv3.pdf

This should help you find a good breeder.
>>
>>2011759
The AKC isn't always good, by any means. But there are other kennel clubs besides the AKC, and even breed specific clubs. The AKC is just explaining registration there, and it was the easiest to read one that I could find.

If a breeder is not registered by the AKC, that's fine by me as long as they have a good reason for it and are still registered in some kennel club so I can comb through this future puppy's heritage.

>>2011764
Thanks! I'll be sure to check them out
>>
Too bad not every breeder could be like this
http://www.tibetanmastiff.net/index.shtml

I combed through and I can't find a single thing about them that would even raise an eyebrow
>>
>>2011780
I could only find 2 breeders on that site, one of which no longer operates a website (im assuming that means they retired?).

The other breeder has very little information, so I'll have to get my shit together to write out a decent email and get some answers
>>
Good on you OP for researching and ferreting out the BYB before falling in love with a puppy. The sad thing is the majority of the breeders out there are only doing it for the money and it really takes some knowledge to know the difference. Again, great job.
>>
File: wolfhavenspirit.jpg (53 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
wolfhavenspirit.jpg
53 KB, 600x448
Speaking of breeders, does /an/ remember these guys? pic related.

>wolfhavenspiritofthepast

>dat hambeast sitting next to starving dogs
>>
>>2013342
she probably ate a couple.
>>
>>2013342
how can someone own huskies and be that obese
>>
File: BUYNOW.png (2 MB, 1592x1780) Image search: [Google]
BUYNOW.png
2 MB, 1592x1780
>Bad breeders
>no one has mentioned bully breeders

Well I suppose I will be the first -www.bullbloodline.com Used to gloat about dogs being inbred by having, in parenthesis, (INBRED GOLDEN GOLIATH DAUGHTER) like it was a good thing. Even the puppies look fucking awful.
>>

None of the other reasons you state raise a flag for me as much as this one! A reputable breeder of a pedigreed and registered animal will REQUIRE registration with the AKC even if the animal is sold as a pet and not for show or future breeding purposes. In fact, for "pet" sales, most will insist that the animal be spayed or neutered as they don't want their particular breed line to be in anyone else' shards unless they pay through the nose for it.
>>
File: micro tiny.png (1 MB, 1418x824) Image search: [Google]
micro tiny.png
1 MB, 1418x824
>11 different breeds, some of which are totally made up (Daisy Puppy for example)
>sizes include Toy, Tiny Toy, Teacup, Tiny Teacup, Micro Tiny Teacup
>most dogs over $700, average above 1g, some dogs are over 15g
>give away free dogs at times
>claim these dogs will never have an accident as long as you limit their water intake
>their quoted facts seem to be completely baseless
>has a link for 'lower priced teacups' and then just attempts to guilt people buy saying you don't care for the dog if you don't pay money for it
These 'breeders' even go as far as to 'explain' issues like people saying there is no such thing as teacup breed, that they are unhealthy etc with false and uncited information. Couldn't get worse than that
.texasteacups.com

>>2013342
I guess this makes 2 terrible texas breeders
>>
>>2013969
That was what was worrying me. I know people think that I'm not breeding or showing, so why would it matter? But I want to have my dog's heritage down on paper and recorded if I'm paying top dollar for this animal to begin with. Currently I'm thinking it's your average, maybe better than average breeder that is cutting corners to get more money out of adopters.

I haven't heard back yet from the one CKC breeder, but I found another that is at least a distance I could bear
>sunjayscavaliers.com

Again a lot of info is left out but so far it seems decent, I can look up the parents of the parents, they do multiple things with their dogs including agility. And the 'golden retriever' part (which worried me because i thought they were breeding multiple breeds) seems to just be a page for their pure bred pet golden
>>
http://www.southernragdolls.net/index.html
What do you guys think of this cat breeder? I was considering buying a kitten from them and everything seems fine but I want to be sure.
>>
>>2014035

talk to them, ask them questions. if they ask YOU questions, that is about the best sign you can get about their ethics. the rest is just seeing how well the cats are cared for. ask to see where the cats live, ask to meet the parents. pick their brains, anything you would have a question about they should already know because they deal with it daily or have been asked it many, many times.

the biggest things you are looking for are if they care about their cats and if they are taking care of them responsibly. these two concepts might seem mutually exclusive, but you'd probably be surprised. that said, one in most cases implies the other
>>
File: 1385838187085.jpg (36 KB, 805x669) Image search: [Google]
1385838187085.jpg
36 KB, 805x669
>>2013968
>mfw that idiot lives in my state
I'm ashamed.
>>
>>2014035
I see some red flags with this breeder.

- usda certified, that is something large scale operations do.

- this breeder has many, many cats

- none of the breeding cats have any kinds of titles

- the breeder sells the kittens on a "first come first serve" basis

-the breeder does not spay/neuter kittens before adoption

- the breeder feeds a chicken and rice kitten food

If you like I can explain point by point why all of those are red flags.
>>
>>2014255
Not the original poster but I'd love if you could tell me what I should look for in a good wet food for my cat. I've researched it to the best of my ability already but there's still a ton I don't know. I want more than just a recommendation of brands though. I want to be able to recognize good and bad food on my own consistently, especially since I have plans to move out of country within a few years and the brands I have available will change drastically.
>>
>>2014255
Not that poster, but I don't understand the first come first serve one. As far as I know, I thought the first person to choose a kitten, as long as they are qualified, gets dibs on that kitten. That way multiple people can't say they want the same kitten.

They also said they don't fix early because of health reasons, and in the contract states they must fix the cat before 6 months of age and will hold registration until the cat is fixed.

Does USDA certified only pertain to large scale breeders? Is it a thing any breeder can do?

Just trying to play devil's advocate, although the other points are spot on unfortunately. I was hoping maybe they were partnered with other cat fanciers, hence the amount of cats, but I can't find proof of that.
>>
>>2014269
There are way more anons on /an/ that know more about nutrition than I do. I suggest starting your own thread.

>>2014318
>I don't understand the first come first serve one
That means that the breeder isn't finding homes BEFORE breeding. This breeder is creating kittens and selling them to anyone who has a few hundred dollars and can fill out a survey. That is not how good homes are found, that's not how good breeders operate. There should be a waiting list for those kittens.

>They also said they don't fix early because of health reasons,
There are no major health concerns caused by spay/ neutering at 12 weeks.
>and in the contract states they must fix the cat before 6 months of age and will hold registration until the cat is fixed.
Which is bullshit. That does not protect the kittens that are sold. Anyone can turn around and breed the cat or sell it to a kitten mill.

>Does USDA certified only pertain to large scale breeders?
Yes. It is something puppy/kitten mills do. It is done because of the number of animals housed in the property.
>>
>>2014325
>>2014064
Thank you very much!! I will be looking for another breeder, these are some very good points and I will take them to heart.
>>
>>2014330
Forgot to add, their health gurentee only cover the first 72 hours a kitten is in its new home.
I don't really have to explain how bad that is do I?

Where are you located, I could suggest a few good breeders near you.
>>
>>2014334
Oh, I completely missed that too. And here I thought I did my research haha.
I'm located in Georgia, USA.
>>
>>2013968
Oh sweet lord...
Don't even mention 'muh bully exotic senpai 6x dax 17x miagi he a beast' *pic of a dog wanting to die from not being able to walk,see,fuck a bitch etc.* breeders.
Makes my blood boil.
>>
>>2011710
Just adopt you fucking pleb
>>
>>2014353
It's for my mother, and if it were up to her she'd go to petland because she doesn't want the unpredictability of even a puppy from a shelter. But I offered to pay for it if she gives me time, so she's letting me pick the breeder and puppy as long as it is red and white. I'm actually looking for an older, adult or senior, CKC because she said she would be fine with an adult as long as it was trained and she knew the history. So I was thinking a retired breeder may be a good fit.

Pretty much, she cares about her grand-kids more than her kids do. She's terrified of an unprovoked bite, nip or growl.

>>2014336
You might have to travel. I'm looking at traveling at least a couple hours.
>>
>>2014361
Contact a CKC breed club. Many breed clubs also have a rescue network. These dogs are often still with their breeder, or with a foster. These dogs generally have a known history and a paper trail. Sometimes there is an emergency, or a breeder dies and there are many dogs to place at once. Generally, dogs from club rescues are not random dogs pulled from shelters.
You should also join a CKC fb group, and a CKC yahoo chat group. You can get to know a few breeders that way, and It is a good way to reach out to many breeders at once.
Having said
>>
>>2014361
>Adopt a shelter dog
>Tell her it's from a breeder
>?????
>Save a fucking dogs life
>>
>>2014361
OP Where are you from? I can help you look for a dog
>>
>>2014361
Does it have to be a Spaniel? Size requirements? Why red and white???
>>
>>2014361
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/33921720
>>
>>2014361
Yeah, I think I'll travel out of the state too. Good luck on getting/finding your dog!
>>
>>2014412
And what do I do when I can't find a pure bred CKC in a shelter with a pedigree and health testing done on the parents? I work at a shelter, of course I am for shelter dogs. I foster shelter dogs. I find homes for them. I can't find a pure bred CKC with a paper trail at a shelter, because it will go back to the breeder. I didn't start this thread to promote puppy stores and defame shelter dogs. This was to help people find good, reputable breeders of healthy dogs, breeders that do not contribute to the shelter population.

>>2014413
Central NY

>>2014417
She just prefers red and white, and thinks the black and brown ones look scary and will scare the kids (I think my one nephew is a little scared of blackish dogs, but I'm assuming he will grow out of it). She wants a dog small enough that she could carry if she needed to, but not so small and delicate that it will hurt itself from jumping, like Italian greyhounds (another dog she was looking into and decided against). We got to the CKC because it's small, but not fragile, it's known to be friendly and a family pet, not a herding or ratting dog, or any other intense job. It's lower on the energy requirement but won't die from a long walk. They are gentle, social, affectionate and, from what I've read, good with kids. No predisposition to guarding, or wariness of strangers or other dogs, they don't have high prey drives.

>>2014418
She did also like brittany spaniels but after discussing it with her, she came to the conclusion they are a bit heavier than she wanted (she wants a dog that, in old age, she can pick up if need be.) and probably require more physical stimulation than she would want to provide.

>>2014421
Thanks! I'm finding it's a lot harder than I thought it would be; maybe it's because of the dog's popularity, but it's like finding a needle in a hay stack. Good luck on getting your kitty
>>
>>2014399
Lots of good info here.
>>
>>2014430
Have you checked here --> http://www.blackfirecavaliers.com/#!breeding-girls/c149v

or here

http://stonehavencavaliers.com/girls.html
>>
>>2014435
I have seen them! You just happened to pick two breeders that are both very far from me. I live in Central NY and both of those drives are roughly 3+ hours, 6+ hour round trip. It's doable, for maybe one trip. But I would like to check up on the dog/puppy more than once at the time of purchase. I'd like to find something closer if possible, but I will be willing to make the trip to Ithica if I need to for Stone Haven. But fuck long island. Not driving through NYC
>>
File: frogs.png (697 KB, 1310x512) Image search: [Google]
frogs.png
697 KB, 1310x512
I can't tell if the backs are fucked or if it's the stance. Either way, some of those stances are very extreme

http://mittelwest.com/for-sale/puppies-for-sale/current-litters/ I'm sure those pups will be healthy
>>
File: wolfhaven.png (3 MB, 1920x1178) Image search: [Google]
wolfhaven.png
3 MB, 1920x1178
>>2013342
I wanted to grab a screenshot of a few awful things they say, but holy shit. Everything other sentence is so incredibly misleading and inaccurate I don't know where to start.
>>
>>2011710
not really
>>
>>2015247
Yeah, pretty much the entire website is 100% infuriating bullshit. It blows my mind. I have to wonder are they just trying to lie to people or do they honestly believe some of this shit themselves? That's got to be a whole lot of cognitive dissonance...
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.