[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got a new rat dog. Its basically attached to my gfs lap
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: two money pits.jpg (297 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
two money pits.jpg
297 KB, 1080x1776
Just got a new rat dog. Its basically attached to my gfs lap 24/7, cries really loud if she leaves the room or when we leave for work and digs at his kennel. Shits and pisses everywhere.

Send help please.
>>
>>2009790

Take a .22 and shoot him, then cut him in quarters and use as fish bait.
>>
How old is he?
How long has your girlfriend had him?
How long is he left alone?
>>
>>2009790
so cute!!! ...drop kick it into a river.
>>
Hit it with a hammer
>>
Sounds to me like they're fucking when you're not around.

Sorry OP, but you might want to leave your gf.
>>
File: 1433455715582-1.jpg (23 KB, 186x271) Image search: [Google]
1433455715582-1.jpg
23 KB, 186x271
>>2009836
>>
>>2009809
He's about 5-6 months old now
He's been with the gf and I for a couple weeks now. I initially didn't cuddle and left most of the care up to her. He follows her everywhere and whines if she ever leaves to another room and he can't follow.
We both work 9-5, she usually takes him out before she leaves and gets home a bit later than I do.
Main issue I'm having is that when she is home she sometimes turns her back to do something and he shits in my compu room. He uses pee pads since he can't go outside due to the cold. Rat dog can't tolerate -10.

Can't leave her because she's a pretty good gf but fuck I can't with her dog. She won't get rid of the dog because her parents brought it up from Mexico and its the pup of her dog back home.
>>
>>2010002
9-5 is too long for a puppy to be by itself.
It sounds like your gf wanted a puppy and didn't think it through. Pee pads encourage a dog to go in the house, what did you expect!?!?
>>
>>2010002
That's just too long for him to hold it, to put simply. Pee pads are actually teaching the dog it's OK to pee and poop inside. At most, you will teach the dog that it is OK to pee and poop on soft things like couches and beds, which it hopefully won't do because he would like to sleep on those things.

I'm not really sure what to tell you here. You work too long hours, the dog has basically been trained to shit inside and will need to be completely re-trained (which requires VERY often potty breaks, think like it's a very young puppy), but you have a breed in a climate it can't tolerate. The dog would probably have done better down in Mexico. So deal with it I guess.
>>
Forgot to mention that gf comes home at lunch to let him out. I want him to go outside but last time we tried he nearly got frost bite. (Had sweaters and coat and all)

She wants to keep the dog in the bathroom with pee pads out so that he can do his business whenever, but cat already inhabits that area so I kinda insisted on him being kenneled.
>>
I know how you feel OP. My Mom bought a maltese that never stops barking, and the house is constantly covered in piss and shit. I never leave my room because it smells so bad. I can't wait to move out.
>>
>>2009790
How much exercise is he getting?
>>
>>2010051
Since he can't go outside, gf plays fetch with him for 10-20 minutes before he's in the kennel or whenever she's home and has free time. About 2-4 times a day for 10-20 minutes. He also runs around with the cat, the chase each other around the house much to gf's annoyance.
>>
>>2009790
You got a puppy without thinking it through. You want the baby animal in a cage all of the time and for it to use the bathroom solely outside it seems. If you already had the cat, why do this?

And when you have to go to the bathroom, why not cross your legs and hold it for as long as possible, then go outside naked to piss and shit and see how you feel about it? Just because it's an animal and doesn't feel the same way we do doesn't mean it's a fucking furby that we can toss around and do whatever with. Jfc this board sometimes.
>>
You have an indoor dog, OP. Shit is going to get fucked no matter what you do at this point. It's bored of the stale environment, it wont be house trained and will actually be trained to piss inside, it's under stimulated both physically and mentally, and all it really knows is your home. Of course he is going to freak when one of the few things he recognizes on the planet leaves in the, what he perceives, as the total unknown.

It's just fucked. Next time get a breed that can handle the winter and get an older dog. That's the only realistic advice I can give other than move elsewhere or give the dog away to someone that lives in a warmer climate.
>>
>>2010073
This. I understand that your gf is attached to it, but it sounds like neither of you have the time to properly care for it. Dogs can't just be left home all day like cats.

I'm not trying to antagonize you or your gf, but you should have planned better for this.
>>
This might sound stupid, but since you can't take your dog outside, you could take it for car rides to break up the monotony of being trapped in its crate all day. Or take it to dog training classes so that it will be socialized and will get to go somewhere other than the house.
>>
>>2010073
>>2010081
Again I never really wanted the dog since I have a family dog already at my parents place that's super chill. She wanted the dog, but we never knew when her parents would actually bring the dog or if they were at all. They randomly shipped him over a couple weeks back. Gf prepped for everything for him.

Just to be clear, we don't stick our pets in a cage for display for all to see. My gf takes really good care of him and spoils him rotten with attention. The dog eats better than some people do and she buys bones from a butcher for him so he always has access to things to chew on. She also tires him out before its time to go in the kennel and stops feeding him 3 hours prior to being out in the kennel. She comes home on lunch breaks to let him out and play with him. When we are home he's free to roam the house and he's pretty good at using the pee pads (sometimes he gets the corner of the pad but can't get mad at him). He doesn't have accidents in his kennel nor whenever he sleeps with us in the bed (pretty much every night) what she has done is that she lets him go in the kennel 10-15 minutes before she leaves and leaves either a kong filled with liver treats or a beef bone with cartilage and marrow so he's distracted. She leaves 10 minutes earlier than I do so by the time I leave he's whining and crying that I'm leaving.

I'm just fucking peeved that he shits or pisses right next to my chair when my gf starts doing dishes or is momentarily distracted. He doesn't shit and piss any where other than my compu room which is where I spend most of my time. This is probably what makes me mad the most aside from him whining whenever she leaves the room.

He's being properly socialized because we always have people over and a friend with a larger dog visits very often. He doesn't bark unless some one is at the door. She usually takes him out to friends houses on the weekends or to petsmart for grooming or just pet shopping etc.
>>
>shits and pisses everywhere
>gets called out on why it shits and pisses everywhere
>'lol no guys we're good owners he only shits in one particular place'
C'mon OP. It's not the dog's fault, as much as you want to make it out to be.
>>
>>2010100
I think you'd be upset if the first think you stepped in was dog shit and piss after a long day of work.

I'll admit, I'm just pissed that it happened but fuck man just airing my frustrations.
>>
>>2010102
You worded the thread like you wanted help, and plow all the advice down. If you want to vent, don't make an entire thread about it asking for help and waste people's time attempting to help you and your dog.
>>
>>2009790

Rat dog owner here. Never wanted a small breed until I got one for Christmas over a decade ago. Now I can't imagine going back to a big dog because to me at least they're easier to take care of and usually have fewer health problems.

>tried to post pic but 4chan is apparently shitting the bed

As far as the potty training thing goes, have you ever thought about litterbox training him? I've heard some people in cold climates have had varied levels of success with it even though it sounds insane.
>>
fukken obedience train jfc, keep the dog on a leash in the house if it isnt house trained, enforce house training always, dont make him fear pee, dont free feed, or free water him, dont give him any privileges until he fixes his behaviors.
>>
Asphyxiate it with a plastic bag.
>>
>>2010193
>don't free water
Is this a thing? I know people who go to jail for this shit
>>
>>2010002
sounds like you got a defective girlfriend
(Then again all women are defective)

>mexico
>9-5
>yap yap yap
>shiggy indoor poopatello

You know what to do OP
Beat the dog up when it barks and say something like 'fu' loudly and deep

So it associates pain with fu

Kind regards My mums dog.
>>
>>2010235
um you still make sure they have everything they need obvs, but its on a schedule, until they prove themself to be responsible enough, they dont have free access to anything, you are the provider, and they learn to listen to you/ look for you if they need something, its basic.
but yeah for real keep it on a leash until its house trained.
>>
What are you going to do op?
>>
>>2010220
this 2bh
>>
>>2010094

you and your gf lead lifestyles that aren't right for the breed of dog you have.

jfc take the fucking advice you asked for.
>>
>>2010294
>until they prove themself to be responsible enough
dogs can't be responsible, they have no understanding of that concept. they're not like human children, they only do something if they're trained

>you are the provider, and they learn to listen to you/ look for you if they need something, its basic.
yeah, it's basic and wrong

a dog will do what you want because that's how you've trained them. a dog isn't going to connect all the dots that you think they can. it's like assuming they understand the concept of alpha training, they don't.
>>
Buuuuuttttt fuuuuuucccck him to death
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.