[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask an arachnologist anything. Serious question will be answered asap.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 14
File: illustration.jpg (945 KB, 2008x1784) Image search: [Google]
illustration.jpg
945 KB, 2008x1784
Ask an arachnologist anything.
Serious question will be answered asap.
>>
>>2009030
Speaking of tarantula in terms of Theraphosidae:
Avicularinae and Stromatopelminae have laterally enlarged tarsi (not in terms of cuticula, but lateral pads of setae) that might actually be used when gliding, just as it is known for Selenopidae.
Apart from that, their size and weight prevent them from gliding as elegantly as observed in Selenopidae (you know the video on youtube I guess).

Speaking in terms of tarantula as Mygalomorphae in general:
Because only few live on trees and a ground dwelling spider doesn't need to glide. Due to missing ecological pressure no adaption needs to be developed.

>>2009033
normal question to me.
>>
>>2009036
also no problem, but I can only talk about things I researched my own or read about.. also only on the families at which certain research has been done. So my ansers certainly do not cover ALL Araneae, but only those for which a certain feature is known.
>>
>>2009026
How many venomous spiders have you handled? What's the proper way to handle them?
>>
>>2009050
depends on what you mean by "handle" and how you define venomous (most Araneae are venomous).
I never actually touched a (potentially deadly) venomous spider, but I kept hundreds.. I mean breeding Latrodectus involves hundreds of specimens from a single sac already. Different species it might be about 20 or a littles less.
Most impressing were Phoneutria, but as I only needed specimens of those for morphological research and ID purposes, I put them in the freezer as soon as I got them - still wondering why people sent me those alive.
The best way to handle them is to not handle them. Keep your tweezers between you and the spider and always keep calm. Also avoid breathing into their direction.
>>
>>2009056
pretty much, yes. The question here is if those setal pads are also used when gliding or are a result of the generally enlarged amount of adhesive scopulae on tarsi and metatarsi. I've never seen any of them glide though. Interestingly, even Ephebopus have the enlarged pads although fully grown females are mostly ground dwelling (see West et al. (2008)).
What's the problem with P. metallica? The population would certainly be doing better if theraphosid-enthusiasts would breed them more often and less wild caught specimens are/were imported. I still remember the hype about this species in the early 2000's and the amount of WC specimens on the market.

WEST, R.C., S.D. MARSHALL, C.S. FUKUSHIMA & R. BERTANI 2008: Review and cladistic analysis of the Neotropical tarantula genus Ephebopus Simon 1892 (Araneae: Theraphosidae) with notes on the Aviculariinae. Zootaxa 1849: 35–58.
>>
>>2009026
As a arachnologists do you study everything that's a arachnid or just specialize in spiders?

If you do study other orders which do you study the most?
>>
>>2009067
well, if it'd be the climate, then a lot of other species/genera would have developed those setal pads. It's still quite interesting that Ephebopus juveniles seem to prefer elevated positions, while older ones are more ground dwelling. Their placement in the Aviculariinae seems questionable to me and the West paper put way too much emphasize on certain characters used in the cladistics, as well as additionally modifying the analysis in a way that enhances this placement.
She turned dark already.. only got a single preserved specimen of P. metallica - never kept any Poecilotheria.. I'm more the Harpactirinae guy, but actually do not keep many Theraphosidae at all anymore.

>>2009068
I worked at university as scientific coworker and my task was to prepare the ID course. I worked with Crustacea, Gastropoda, Insecta and some more, but the research I do because I like it is restricted to Araneae.
>>
>>2009080
>there aren't a whole lot of true swamp dwellers.
what about most Ornithoctoninae and parts of the Selenocosmiinae?

>that's probably due to how wet their environment is as well.
Why do you think so? I mean usually spiders climb upwards in order to escape humidity. Juveniles of Ephebopus and other avicularines have been found in water filled bromelias, which certainly underlines their need for high humidity.

>females turn darker after like 3 molts when they're adults.
I know. You remember the red Poecilotheria someone tried to sell back in the days? Those painted ones.. made me laugh back then and always will.
>>
>>2009036
Hurr durr taratullips don feal paigne man i am smart u r always wrong hurr durr
>>
File: 1446918477069.jpg (104 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
1446918477069.jpg
104 KB, 720x1280
>>2009026
I have a friend who wants to be one of you. She's started down neuro and has a lot of classes concentrated on biology. What should she do to help her become an Arachnologist? Her campus offers no entomology courses.

Also, if you have the time.. was it difficult for you to become one? What kind of salary do you make? Are you the asshole that named cupcake sparkles or whatever the hell it's called? How can I get a job naming some of the thousands of species that have no names yet?
>>
Are venomous spiders safe to consume?
If not, how would one make one fit for consumption?
>>
>>2009026
what exactly do you do at your job? was it hard to get?
>>
>>2009128
>cupcake sparkles
Sparklemuffin*
>>
>>2009128
if you don't go into the field of toxicology and just want to describe/classify new species (aka taxonomy and systematics) then you won't earn any money apart from your regular salary. Well, if you don't want to sell species names on ebay at least.
There's actually no real courses you can take to become an arachnologist. Usually you start off by studying biology and specialize in a certain field - if you're interested in spiders then go for them.
I made only little money working at university, but it was enough to live. My new job is not related to arachnology at all, but still I got my privileges at campus and can order material from museums to my address there.
Getting a job only naming newly discovered species is almost impossible as naming new species means also finding new species and this involves a lot of time spent at museums checking their collections and comparing type specimen + finding and reading literature.
I named 3 species so far and been working in the field (rather specified on a certain family) for more than 10 years now.

>>2009130
as long as it's dead and you don't pierce anything it should be safe, but why would you want to do this? Most times the venom denaturates when warmed, so a cooked spider is less likely to cause any problems.

>>2009131
It was my job to prepare courses, gather preserved specimens, ID specimens from the collection and help the students to find the correct ID when material (I checked before) was handed out. Payment was ok, but there are certainly jobs out there that are paid a lot better. I guess you get paid better with a Phd - I'm working on it.
>>
i live in an area infested with black widows, bug bombs and such only work for about a week and they come back. is there a sent or somthing that can detour black widows
>>
>>2009138
no, but why would you want that anyway? they feed on a lot of insects and are not that dangerous actually. I kept a lot of widows so far and never got bit.. not even when a fully grown female and her offspring lived freely in my apartment.
>>
>>2009157
note that I'm talking about phylogenetic features here, not anything they show in captivity.

>water level, spiderlings might drown/get eaten.
that might be the case anyway, but doesn't explain why some species are more arboreal as juveniles and ground dwelling (even burrowing) as adults, as in the same habitat other species/genera occur in which this is not the case and their spiderlings have to deal with similar circumstances.

>I almost got my hands on a P. metallica with gynandromorphism a while ago.
You know the papers by Gabriel on gynandromorph Poecilotheria? According to some authors, gynandromorphism also appears in the wild and the holotype of some Harpactirinae shows similar features.

>>2009160
that's true, but I still would not consider them forming a separate subfamily as suggested by some authors (e.g. Sinurticantinae Samm & Schmidt, 2008), but same goes for "Poecilotherinae" Schmidt, 1995). As soon as the stridualtory organ is considered as a diagnostic characters, Psalmopoeus certainly belong in Selenocosmiinae as the position and shape of their lyra certainly can be considered synapomorphic - Poecilothieria however differ in that feature.
>>
what drew you to studying arachnids? ive always been frightened of them myself.
>>
>>2009166
exactly that. I was disgusted by spiders until I learned they a very interesting creatures.
>>
>>2009172
who are you quoting? I never wrote anything like that. Breeding mostly works when simulating the natural environment. the only way I bred G. rosea.
>>
Do spiders have emotions or thoughts?
>>
>>2009192
don't know about american hobby, I'm from Germany and here only few are confused. As long as know what you're doing you avoid certain breeders and sellers and you're good.

>>2009201
mine usually burrowed, especially before winter.

>>2009222
depends on how you define emotions.. if this is simply a reaction to environmental triggers, then yes, they do. Otherwise no and they certainly have no "thoughts" in our terms. Considering a thought as just an impulse that triggers a nerve, then they do.
>>
>>2009137
>but why would you want to do this?
Out of curiosity and possibly survival.
If I ever were to get stuck out far away from civilization and I'm starving I might have to eat things I wouldn't normally eat.
>>
>>2009107
who are you quoting?
>>
>>2009246
well, in Thailand they are fried (Theraphosidae) and are edible.

>>2009254
there're some others as well. I had some nice talks with Grabowitz, but actually never bought from him. Not because I wouldn't do so at all, but just because he never had anything I was interested in.
Apart from that, I stopped buying spiders some years ago and get most stuff I need for free anyway.
>>
Is there a career for arachnologists beyond academia?
Also, at what point did you decide to specialize into arachnology?
>>
>>2009337
ment him and some others ;)
A friend bought some Nephila from him and on the way home it died.

>>2009339
absolutely, von Wirth, Nunn, and some others do not have an academic degree and do great work.
>>
>>2009345
I know. As I said.. never bought from him anyway. Worst are the disgusting giant snails all over the table.
>>
>>2009026
Why do some trapdoor spiders have that weird emblem pattern on their back.
Also how do I become less afraid of opiliones.
>>
File: 1434078268297-0.gif (931 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1434078268297-0.gif
931 KB, 500x282
>>2009036
Keked
>>
File: 20151201_235848.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151201_235848.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Judging from your experience, what gender is this spider?
>>
What's the prettiest species in your opinion?
>>
>>2009446
you mean the sclerotized plate on the posterior opisthosoma that can be found in (e.g.) Cyclocosmia? They use it to close their burrow and protect themselves against predators.
Why are you afraid of Opiliones? I mean they really can't do shit and are completely harmless.

>>2009502
see >>2009565
and even then it's not 100%. If you really want to know, examine a moult.

>>2009569
depends on the family, but I'm not a real Theraphosidae guy, so my vote would go for either Linothele megatheloides (Dipluridae) or Porrhothele antipodiana (Hexathelidae).
I'm more interested in the plesiomorph taxa of Mygalomorphae.
>>
>>2009026
Do you like your job? I considered going into it but I'm going into forensic pathology instead
>>
>>2009643
as it isn't my job anymore, I love it as a hobby. I'm certainly trying to get back into that job when I got my Phd.
Examining material, working on my microscope, classifying specimens and describing new ones + doing phylogenetic analyses.. this is what really calms me down. Might be a little weird, but at a rainy day I love working in my little prrivate lab listening to Bach.
>>
>>2009681
it's a guess with 80-90% chance, you only know for sure when you examine a moult. I examined quite many type so far, all described as females, and they turned out to be juvenile males.. you never know.
I like Atypus - interesting behavior and prey capture, but you rarely see them. If you dig out some, then make sure you keep them between two glass plates with ~1-1,5cm between them. Use at least 30cm of which you fill ~20cm with sandy soil.. like a small Halpopelma tank. Make sure to keep the lower parts of the soil slightly wet for A. affinis, but only a little moist for A. piceus.
I had some spiderlings at the beginning of this year..
>>
>>2009026
do you also work with scorpions or purely spiders?
>>
>>2009693
even more difficult in spiders without real spermathecae..

>>2009695
only spiders, mainly Mygalomorphae.
>>
So I know at night cats eyes reflect light really well and recently I saw something similar with spiders.. I was in the Australian river land and we were using red lights rather than white so the bugs wouldn't be attracted to us at night. Anyway, these spiders on the ground reflected the red light very well. It was spooky being in the dark and frequently seeing bright red reflective spots of the ground, and then realising they were all spiders, rather than glass or metal items. Under normal white light they were close to invisible being very well camouflaged. They were spiders with a trap door near by.

Do you know why they reflected the red specifically rather than white like cats? What spectrum of colour can spiders see?
>>
File: sydney brown trapdoor.jpg (73 KB, 415x606) Image search: [Google]
sydney brown trapdoor.jpg
73 KB, 415x606
>>2010480
this one?
>>
>>2010480
I'm not completely sure about the reflective part of your question, but most primitive spiders are known to not being able to see red light. Hence they do not hide. It might just be they hid when you used white light.. usually the eyes (especially of Lycosidae) reflect all wavelength at least to a certain degree.
At Mygalomorphae and most Araneomorphae it's believed they can only see contrasts and mainly rely on their sensory organs (e.g. trichobothria) for prey capture and such. At Salticidae, it's believed they are able to see colors, but their eyes are far more developed than in other families.
>>
File: IMG_20151109_184241.jpg (148 KB, 704x704) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151109_184241.jpg
148 KB, 704x704
What kind of spider is this? Is it albino or are all of this species white? The flower is cosmos bipinnatus. Sat on there for a while. Made no Web.
>>
>>2010487
that's some Thomisidae. Some are white and some can change their color to white.
>>
>>2010490
>some can change their color to white.
Interesting! It's white colour was well suited, but I thought it was strange as it would stand out on flowers that are not as pale. Which is most flowers.

Although I just google the name you gave me and saw some white ones on vibrant blue flowers and green leaves. Is the colour not always to camouflage? Why then?

How fast do they change colours? Do they have to shed?
>>
>>2010491
keep in mind that the colors we see are not equal to the ones insects can see. So camouflage may be maintained even when a white spider sits on some brightly colored flower.
Color change in Misumena vatia does not take that long.
>>
I just opened the first link to let someone know how huge of a shit I'm taking right now.

it's crazy
>>
>>2009026
In animals with endoskeletons excess energy can be stored as adipose fat. Spoders have exoskeletons, so can't really store excess energy for times of scarcity that way. So how do they do it? I know they can go dormant over the winter, but if food just goes short for a few days, perhaps?

Did an experiment on just this using crickets in Biology. Sadly, I had problems with the equipment rendering my results unusable. My hypothesis was a decreased metabolic rate might be in effect, but I'm not sure.

Could you weigh in?
>>
>>2010689
spiders have a very slow metabolism and several "blind intestines" they can actually store nutrition at.
>>
Okay so I'm going to apologize ahead of time for this kinda dumb question, but I can't wrap my head around it.

So spiders eat by digesting the prey's insides and sucking out the 'soup', correct? If this is so, where does the rest of the cricket go when I feed my tarantula? How come they're just completely gone instead of there being little dried up cricket husks everywhere?
>>
>>2010742
you don't find the remains of the cricket because the spider chews it up to a nasty little digestive-vomit-soaked wet ball.
Although spiders digest their prey externally, they possess structures that allow them to hold and actually chew the prey. Usually those are positioned on the pedipalp endites (maxillae), like the serrula or maxillary cuspules, but they also got teeth and small tubercles on the ventral chelicerae (not the cheliceral claw!).
>>
>>2010737
"blind intestines" meaning dead ends in the intestinal track?

Nifty.
>>
>>2010509
it's been so long since my last one but I came back and I'm taking another shit

also why does my dog have cancer
>>
>>2010812
exactly

>>2010816
that's nice, feeling happy for you. Your dogs cancer is completely your fault tho.
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 294x238) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 294x238
>>2010509
>>2010816
What the fuck is going on?
>>
>>2009235

welche Universität? bester thread seit wochen egs (ehrlichgesagt)
>>
File: ErSpiderBlackWidow.jpg (18 KB, 165x189) Image search: [Google]
ErSpiderBlackWidow.jpg
18 KB, 165x189
i found what i thought was a black widow in my garage, only it had a white shape marking under its abdomen, like pic related. i still cant figure out what it is, and if it is poisonous? can black widows have white instead of red markings?
>>
what are the best sites to browse and research arthropods?
>>
>>2011808
adolescent black widow females can have a range of different colors on their abdomens, ranging from light pale to orange to red.
>>
>>2009053
>breeding latrodectus
ok perfect, i have a question about exactly that. have a black widow and brown widow ever been crossbred to produce black/brown widow hybrids? i'm curious since i live in southern california where the two species overlap and i've considered trying it myself. for that matter, has any hybrid spider species ever been bred? are they sterile like some other hybrids?
>>
>>2012023

How can you fuckers sleep at night, I would be absolutely terrified that these things would get out and swarm me.

Also bugguy, the /horse general/ is talking about giving implied consent again.
>>
>>2011790
>desu
>egs
I want german memers to leave. Du Lutscher.
>>
>>2012063
eh, once you live around them long enough you start to know where they'll actually show up and where they won't. under rims of garbage bins and potted plants are big danger zones, but even then i've never been bit, or even seen a full grown widow inside my house.
>>
>>2012504
why the fuck are you bitching at bugguy when he's saying that horses can't consent to sex with a human? seriously, next time think before you post, you horsefucker.
>>
File: tumblr_lwkzpfxcsY1qevxlko1_500.gif (422 KB, 500x267) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lwkzpfxcsY1qevxlko1_500.gif
422 KB, 500x267
>>2012532
but that's one of the only things people should be made about on this board. horsefucker apologists and bad owners. mind that's half the board.
>>
>>2012580
>made
mad even
>>
>>2012580
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
>>
>>2011790
war an der uni Landau.. schrecklich da

>>2011808
they can, also see >>2012021

>>2012002
depends on the group you're looking for and the reason you're looking for the. For a taxonomic/systematic research on spiders you should start with the WSC (wsc.nmbe.ch).

>>2012009
but you can't... how does that make you feel?

>>2012023
if those are really separate species, their offspring is going to be infertile (sterile).
>>
>>2009026
Do you think it possible that aliens could be like spiders?
>>
>>2013988
>aliens
sorry, too agnistic to answer this. The general habitus of spiders or Chelicerata in general seems to be quite successful for millions of years now, however.
>>
>>2014059
*agnostic. FFS I hate the mobile portrait mode keyboard!
>>
File: SC20151211-151419.png (489 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
SC20151211-151419.png
489 KB, 480x800
>>2009026
I was really bored at work, found a spider on the floor, without hurting it, I pushed a squeegee behind it to make it run.

I noticed it was only using six legs, while dragging the rear pair, stiff and fully stretched. They weren't broken or anything, it could move them, it was just chosing not to.

The only reason why I could think of was it was making itself bigger as an intimidation thing.

Ever heard of this? Is it common for scared spiders to drag their rear legs?

Pic related, NSW central coast, Australia.
>>
>>2009026
I have a large bone for you to examine.
Pls respond.
>>
>>2015051
no, haven't heard of that and also didn't notice that at other Lycosidae (the family your spider belongs to) in the field.

>>2015174
I bet my bone is larger
>>
How aren't you disgusted? Things with large thoraxes bother me.
>>
>>2015261
I once was like you, but then I saw a tarantula at some fair and was disgusted but fascinated at the same time. I bought it and from that point on I learnt how interesting spiders are. That's been 13 years ago and I still keep discovering new and interesting stuff about them.
>>
Hello resident spider expert.

What do you think of hadronyche formidablis?
It is apparently larger, more aggressive and venomous than a Sydney funnel web spider.

I find funnel webs fascinating, for instance the fact that their venom kills primates but other mammals like dogs can be bitten and survive easily.
>>
>>2015892
maybe, but it's occurs in a less populous areas than Atrax sp.
Funnelwebs are actually my favourites.. just handed in some revision on south american funnelwebs some days ago.
>>
>>2016173
Do you think funnel web venom toxicity has evolved as a defence mechanism to predation by primates?

I read a theory that funnel webs are descended from old world turantulas which are hunted by humans for food in parts of Asia.

Considering their fang size, aggression and toxicity, I find it hard to believe that they have not evolved in part to adapt to human and primate predation.
>>
>>2010480
They were likely wolf spiders, you would be surprised just how many spiders are near you at all times, especially in the bush.

Wolf spiders have highly developed eyes relative to other spiders. They're not deadly or aggressive but if you pick one up it might give you a little painful bite that can blister.

By dog tends to chase them when he's bored and most of his bites occur when he's cornered the spider under a log or in a hole.
>>
>>2016240
it's not clear why they developed such a venom exactly, but as the theory you mention is certainly wrong.
Funnelwebs (Dipluridae, Hexathelidae and Mecicobothriidae) are certainly among the most plesiomorphic families of the Mygalomorphae and the Theraphosidae certainly developed a lot later. Australian funnelwebs belong to the Hexathelidae (greek for 6 spinnerets) although, they have only 4 spinnerets - a feature they share with the asian/european Macrothele and ALL Dipluridae (while Mecicobothriidae share 6 spinnerets except for Hexurella rothi). It seems stronger venom components have been found in some Macrothele sp., but usually those are not deadly. So, considering the relationships (although certainly not fully resolved right now), no other old world funnelweb-spider has a potent venom as Atrax, Hadronyche (or Illawarra?). This however stronly suggests, that this potent venom developed only recently isolated from the rest of the lineage - which (considering the era and tectonic drift), suggests that the venom has been developed only after Australia was separated from the Pangean mainland.
>>
File: YsG5E.jpg (168 KB, 1500x730) Image search: [Google]
YsG5E.jpg
168 KB, 1500x730
>>2016421
Thanks Vosh. Your wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm to answer questions is much appreciated.

>the theory you mention is certainly wrong.
>the venom has been developed only after Australia was separated from the Pangean mainland.

South East Asian Macrotheles are considerably more venomous than their European and African counterparts. Although not quite as deadly as the Australian genus (Atrax, Hadronyche, Illawara.)

It can be argued that this correlates with conventional wisdom regarding theories of primate/ human migration out of Africa.
>>
File: spiderssss.png (138 KB, 545x793) Image search: [Google]
spiderssss.png
138 KB, 545x793
>>2016421
I do understand your point about old world funnel webs being a possible precursor to modern Tarantulas. The lack of urticating hair and relative small size of Hexathelidae compared to Theraphosids being marked differences.

My argument is that if Hexathelidae and Atracinae toxicity was in part an adaptation to primate predation and migration out of Africa, it should increase with distance away from Africa.

Given the remoteness of the Australian continent, the lack of food and the harshness of the environment, It is not unthinkable that a subfamily (Atracinae) should become more successful than it's less venomous cousins (Macrothele) due to predation over a long period of time.

I am not trying to imply that humans are the sole reason for the existence of the entire Atracinae subfamily. I only presume that early Australians would have hunted and eaten any spiders that weren't actively trying to kill them in defense.
>>
I apologize in advance for being so insistent with my crackpot theory of Sydney Funnel Web spiders evolving specifically to fuck up humans but it's something I've been musing over for a few years now and have never had to chance to discuss it with an actual arachnologist.

Please accept this 4 legged huntsman as a token of gratitude.
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (246 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
246 KB, 1920x1080
I'm mixing quotations here in order to answer/comment on certain aspects independently first (field too long error):

>>2016464
absolutely no need to apologize as I really like those question/answer threads.. they lead me to go into my literature even deeper. I certainly do not know all answers instantly.. the difference between you and me is just that I got a database of more than 2000 tagged and ordered scientific papers and know where to look at ;)

>>2016463
that strange and somehow ugly palpal organ of Macrothele yunnanica!
>>
>>2016447
>>2016463
>>2016464
ok, regarding the main discussion:
I wrote "recently" in context of radiation here, but you have to consider that "recently" in the context of radiation of most arthropods and especially Araneae (but also Mygalomorphae) is not "recently" in our general terms. We're talking of at least 45mya here. Those spiders are older than humans.
Also consider that e.g. Dipluridae (especially Diplurinae, but also most Ischnothelinae) build huge webs and certainly live more exposed than most Hexathelidae. This however implies that they get into contact with primates (but also other predators) more often than Atracinae which show a rather hidden lifestyle.
On the other hand, those are mostly restricted to the tropics (except for Euagrinae, which can be found throughout middle america, but also the souther USA, or Afghanistan + Asia), so their advantage of building huge sheet/funnelwebs + the higher abundance of prey certainly did not create any ecological pressure leading to the development of a stronger venom. The araneomorph Ctenidae might actually speak against this, but these do not build any webs. Sicariidae and especially those restricted to more harsh environments (meaning Sicarius here) also have a stronger venom - they have to make sure that if they find prey, they kill it with 100% certainty.
>>
>>2016547
continued:

Macrothele was a rather bad example here as it is considered that the european Macrothele (M. calpeiana and M. cretica) settled at Europe independently and are most likely originating from the asian species. Apart from that, Macrothele is a taxonomic/systematic mess and contains at least 2, if not 3, different genera in my opinion. There are Macrothele with and without lyra, there are Macrothele which have a lyra positioned on the retrolateral palpal trochenter and some with it positioned on the prolateral trochanter of leg I. There are species with elongated (more or less straight) spermathecal stalks (corresponding with elongated palpal organs in males), there are species with relatively short spermathecae stalks ending in globular lobes with their males showing relatively short palpal organs accordingly and there are species with a spermathecae showing a fused base and only lateral horn-shaped appendages with males showing strongly curved emboli on the palpal organs (like the one you showed in >>2016463 at which the spermathecae would not fit the general shape of the embolus).
I certainly cannot prove you wrong here as it's impossible to argue against the strong and severe effect of Atracinae venom (don't know about Illawarra here!) to primates.
But I think it's important to consider that these spiders were already there when humans or primates didn't even exist and the effect of their venom might just be a side effect here.
>>
Can spiders feel pain?
>>
>>2016561
that's an almost philosophical question here.
I can only state my personal opinion: Probably not as their ganglion usually transfers an impuls into some reaction. I think it's ok to claim that arthropods are less likely to "feel" in our terms, but they certainly react to given impulses we would consider painful.
>>
>>2016565
i guess the real question would be - are spiders capable of remembering harmful sensations and changing their behavior in the future to avoid it?
>>
>>2016582
in that case the answer is 'no'.
>>
>>2009026
What kid of paid work do you usually get with that title and did you get into the field with that job in mind? Or did you pursue the education purely out of interest and got lucky to find work?
>>
>>2016790
in my case it was rather the latter. But as I wrote before: You usually start off by studying biology or something similar (e.g. environmental sciences) and then become specialized. So you got the basics of most groups anyway. Spiders are not that different, it's just the characters that change depending on what animal you work on.
>>
Thanks Mr. Drolshagen :)
>>
>>2016814
you're welcome ;)
hope you didn't have to work through literature when checking a single flickr thread at /p/ could have led you to the same conclusion.
>>
>>2016815
There's not many people on the Internet with an interest in the Lyra and palpal organs of macrotheles.
>>2016544
>>
>>2016826
well, true.. after mostly finishing in the last paper I got a little bored so I checked on Macrothele as this genus really annoys me right now. I also started working on funnelwebs in general and it seems Macrothele (together with diplurid Euagrinae) fuck up the cladistics here. Have to keep working on this..
Do we know each other or did you just find my name?
>>
>>2016833
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/archive/index.php/t-81297.html

No I just made an educated guess based on the German name and thought I would scare you haha.

Im going to say you're right about radiation. Australia has been seperate from Gondwana for 100my. Humans have been here 40 thousand years. not quite enough time to allow natural selection to take place.
>>
>>2016839
holy shit, that thread is from 2006.. totally forgot about that one.
Didn't really scare me as I post my flickr at /p/ regularly and I'm using my real name for it.
What's interesting about the whole gondwana pangäa thing is the fact that you find some Dipluridae and Hexathelidae at the northern hemisphere (Laurasia) as well.
>>
>>2016854
Do you have any English publications you can share?

Also what's your flickr?
>>
>>2016871
sure, here you go:
http://zookeys.pensoft.net/articles.php?id=2579
http://www.dipluridae.de/PDF/160204.pdf
flickr.com/dipluridae - only photography, but nothing spider related anymore.
>>
>>2016875
Thanks!

All the best with your future endeavours mate :)
>>
>>2016879
next is Macrothele and then the phylogenetics of mygalomorph funnelweb spiders.. maybe I have to do the Euagrinae before being able to fully resolve those. We'll see...
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.