[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best dogs for when /out/ ? looking for: -loyalty -keen senses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: saint-bernards-lasquite[1].jpg (324 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
saint-bernards-lasquite[1].jpg
324 KB, 600x450
Best dogs for when /out/ ?

looking for:

-loyalty
-keen senses
-something that'll aware me of anything dangerous trying to sneak up on me.

Why? I'm going on a camping trip where there may be wolves / bears. To stay safe I want to bring along a dog with sharper ears than mine.

Plus it would be awesome if I could also use this for hunting.
>>
>>2007454
Where will you be hiking? What's the weather like? Will it get very cold or very hot?
>>
>>2007473
I live in the UK.

I had my eyes on GSP for its all rounded news.
>>
>>2007608
I'm pretty sure you don't have wolves or bears there.
>>
>>2007611
I will travel
>>
Any dog with any kind of working breed genes. A terrier or a sight dogs not a good idea tho cuz they will most definitely do one after some rodent or rabbit and prolly get lost inawoods. I'm a massive faggot for shepherding dogs, border collies in particular. A herding dog has protection instincts, a good bond with its master and acute senses and is also fit enough for hiking. It will definitely let you know about danger.
If you want to hunt then you should go on specific hunting outing with your hunting dog, as in shoot and he retrieves. As I said before a dog that is any good at hunting for itself will make legs so is gunna have to be crated or tethered the entire time you're not using it.
>>
>>2007608
A well trained GSD is as good as anything. Bigger and stronger than anything else that could match it's intellect and guarding instinct.
>>
>>2007454
If you want to fight wolves and bears tho, get pit bull or dogo argentino or presa canario one of them rude motherfuckers rip chunks out of boar. Seen a pit bull cross greyhound I love, would be a ferocious sight dog, could definitely shake the shit out of local urban foxes for man.
>>
>>2007633
Hounds in general will follow their nose/ears/eyes
>>
>>2007454
Kelpie or australian cattle dogs are great for trails. They take commands very well and are bred to go long distances. They'll even carry stuff for you. Mine won't stray from me off leash and won't smell strangers unless given permission, though he does leap high in the air at bikes, so I leash and curb him on bike trails.

They'll give their lives protecting you and you'll know well before hand if there's anything dangerous around. The noises they make are almost similar to coyotes and very recognizable. They'll communicate their distress.
>>
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 2048x1361) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 2048x1361
Pyrs
>>
File: Plott-Hound.jpg (27 KB, 320x262) Image search: [Google]
Plott-Hound.jpg
27 KB, 320x262
I'd say a plott hound. They're large and bred for hunting and being outside in general. They're pretty intelligent and loyal.

Treeing walker coonhounds would be another option. It's another large hunting dog.
>>
>>2007634
>Bigger and stronger than anything else that could match it's intellect and guarding instinct

My great Pyrenees/Anatolian cross would like to have a word with you. Don't be a breed fag op, just get yourself a good dog that you love. damn near any dog will be able keep up with you while you walk through the woods, provided you raise it right.
>>
Karelian bear dog?
>>
>>2007711
seconding

Just hope you don't mind the noise.
>>
>>2007805
Not a particularly smart dog tho, I'm sure it's obedient and has great instincts. But a GSD or collie would shit all over it in intelligence tests.
>>
>>2007809
That wouldn't warn you or scare away a bear, it would antagonise it and expect you to kill it. Sick dog, but it's a hunting dog... Don't take a hunting dog on a little faggot-ass gap year camping in the sticks.
>>
>>2007820

>intelligence tests

Is this actually a thing? I've never had her tested or anything, were would I do that?
>>
>>2007833
>intelligence tests

which are, for dogs, even more arbitrary than ones that are supposed to be for humans. they test for certain variables which may or may not have any real meaning beyond utility. how many commands it takes for the dog to recognize and execute, how long it takes for a dog to learn, etc. shit like that. you're basically testing a dog on how much it has adapted to live with humans and slapping on the results of that the label of "intelligence"
>>
>>2007833
Any test of intelligence, not an official sanctioned intelligence test you pedantic weirdo. Look at assistance dogs, police dogs, rescue dogs etc... See a theme? The smartest most trainable dogs.
>>
>>2007980
the only one that's a specific breed is police dogs, otherwise they're becoming less and less specific breeds and any dog that can do it. in fact there's a rescue here that takes shelter dogs and trains them to do search and rescue, the only criteria being that they're good with other dogs, have a good drive for tennis balls, and under the age of five. there's never been a solid study of any sort to actually show what breeds are "smarter"
>>
Don't get a dog that will fight, preferably not bay either if you don't want to risk losing your dog. A well trained herding breed is a good choice, they're bred to run around like crazy and not get mauled/trampled to death rather than corner something like a karelian bear dog or hound who will endlessly try and keep it there until you kill it.

>>2007805
>breed fag
>as if great pyrenees/anatolian shepherd crosses weren't highly desirable

Don't get me wrong, it's a great cross but at this point they might as well be trying to make it a breed.
>>
>>2007983
There doesn't need to be a study, all dog sport and trials are dominated by the main shepherding breeds, as are the most successful dogs in positions of responsibility. There may be all sorts of breeds and mixes out there capable of the same sorts of things as SAR dogs but they won't be trained as quickly or efficiently.
>>
File: GWP.jpg (92 KB, 470x311) Image search: [Google]
GWP.jpg
92 KB, 470x311
I prefer the GWP over the GSP because i think the coat is more functional and its beard looks awesome.
>>
>>2007633
>so is gunna have to be crated or tethered the entire time you're not using it.

That's just fucked
>>
>>2007608
>GSP
>>2007634
>GSD

Completely different dogs btw.
>>
>>2007997
Try buying one from a German breeder tho. You need to be bonfide to even get a second interview.
>>
>>2008016
It's the reality of having a high performance predator with the drive to hunt and kill. It's not a family dog that courses prey for a trick, it's their entire existence. Hunting is work, working dogs aren't cuddly besty friend pets.
>>
>>2008022
Thought it was a typo, understand now.
>>
>>2007986

I wont deny its a great dog. I got it because my uncle raises sheep and sheep guardian dogs, and I needed one because I was having coyote problems with my goats. I don't see a problem with buying a specific breed for a specific task, but when its something like I want a pet that is capable of going /out/ with me, damn near any dog will do, and its just asinine to pay $800+ for a dog when a rescue dog or a mutt can do everything you want from it.

Why support dog breeders when you don't have to.
>>
>>2007993
>they wont be trained as quickly or efficiently

you have absolutely no proof of that though. if it isn't a job the dog is specifically bred for in their breed ancestry, then it doesn't matter at all. breed intelligence is assumed but has never been proven and is constantly contradicted
>>
>>2008164
this really makes the most sense. he isn't getting a dog to specifically herd cattle or hunt small animals or something. he wants a dog for a variety of reasons that doesn't really fit a single breed, so there isn't much reason he shouldn't get a mutt
>>
>>2008167
There are dumb breeds tho right?
>>
>>2008231
maybe, but it's never been definitively shown. plus "dumb" is pretty subjective
>>
>>2008304
Then it's all subjective.
>>
>>2008231
There are breeds known to be harder to train due to stubbornness, being easily distracted, being too smart, and just being too driven.

I don't believe one breed of dog is, as a whole, known to be more or less stupid, just harder to train.

I think >>2008164 is solid advice if it will just be a companion to hike with, but stay away from dogs that seem very easily distracted or more stimulated by the environment than people. Those are dogs that will be harder to train on recall - something you will need if you plan on hiking off-leash.
>>
>>2008696
>There are breeds known to be harder to train due to stubbornness, being easily distracted, being too smart, and just being too driven.
I think that was the anon's point regarding intelligence-
none of what you said is "known" to be true.
>>
>>2008691
that's the point
>>
>>2007659
This. I have a boarder Collie x blue heeler. Such a great guy. Never leaves my side, so chill, only put him on a leash when I see people coming to be polite. Try to stick to ovals and places where I can anticipate or seeple coming.
>>
File: dogkangal.png (96 KB, 400x330) Image search: [Google]
dogkangal.png
96 KB, 400x330
Get a Kangal/Anatolian Shepherd/ Akbash (they're closely related)

They are good livestock guardians and can run pretty fast.
>>
I should of mentioned I need it to be able to handle long distances aswell.

-Guard dog
-Hunting Dog
-Long distances

These are the criteria.

Im leaning toward Vizsla Dogs. They seem to be pretty spot on actually.

No big dogs because they will get joint problems from overly long distances.

No small dogs because they cant handle a bit of aggression.
>>
>>2009093
>guard dog
always a pretty iffy idea and a slipper slope

>hunting dog
I hope to god you don't mean that you intend this dog to do the hunting for you

>long distances
then just stay away from Giants and look for dogs that naturally want to do so, which is many of them

none of your criteria is really hard to find in a dog, have you even looked at actual dogs and not just googling about them?
>>
>>2009093
>guard and hunting
>guard dog while off leash hiking
I guess my first question here is what you mean by guard dog? Because if it's anything more than what the average dog would do when suspicious of something (barking), it should not be off leash in an open area where you could be coming across other people and dogs. Guarding and hunting also do not go together well what-so-ever... On one hand you're trying to teach a dog to run out and protect you, or make noise/scare off intruders, and the other one requires the dog to quietly sit still or quietly sniff out the intruder for you. It's not like herding and guarding; it's quite literally expecting your dog to do the opposites of what you train him to do, and you will have a very confused animal on your hands.

Both of these things would need to be trained anyways; no dogs come out of the womb already knowing how to hunt or guard. Vizsulas are also not bred to be guard dogs; they are pointers and retrievers. They aren't meant to kill it for you. Also you will have to train re-call in any dog you decide to get.

What do you mean by
>No small dogs because they cant handle a bit of aggression
Are you going to be using a lot of negative reinforcement training on this dog? Because Vizslas are very sensitive and won't deal well with that. Not sensitive in a boo boo way, but in a bloo bloo way

If you're set on Hungarian Pointers and you want to get one from a breeder, research what makes a breeder reputable. It is very important to get this dog from a top-notch breeder that knows what they are doing and breeding to better the animal. This breed nearly died out twice, the result being that they ended up being very inbred and the gene pool is limited, so you want to make sure the breeder is doing all precautions to make sure their breeding stock is healthy. And Vizslas are, unfortunately, becoming popular hipster dogs and are being bred by shitty BYBs, which makes the breeder search even more difficult.
>>
File: 26NeG0P.jpg (193 KB, 640x465) Image search: [Google]
26NeG0P.jpg
193 KB, 640x465
>>2007454

Pet Lynx.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.