[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a poor college student who wants a small companion pet.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: hamster-face.jpg (9 KB, 320x238) Image search: [Google]
hamster-face.jpg
9 KB, 320x238
I'm a poor college student who wants a small companion pet. Thinking about getting a hamster.

What breed would you recommend? Or is it even worth it getting a hamster?
>>
>>2006937
Depends on what you want in that small companion. Hamsters are generally more 'look, no touch' pets-can be pretty ornery. Rats are usually better because they enjoy seeing their owners and spending time with them if you get a pair from a good breeder that handraised them. Mice are also pretty chill with a bit of patience, and easy to take care of as well. Can be held and such, but don't get quite as excited or happy as rats. More just want to wonder around a bit and aren't so content to chill on your shoulder.
>>
>>2006941
I've definitely thought about rats since they're so intelligent. I just don't have the space for a large enough habitat for two of them, and would feel guilty keeping only one since they're so social. The hamster I had as a little kid was always pretty friendly. But then again, I spent tons of time taming and playing with it.
>>
>>2006949
Well if you think you can make a hamster friendly, go for it. But really, rats don't need a big cage. A regular bird cage would work for two if you are going to take them out for a few hours when you get home.

Or mice are good too.
>>
I work at Petsmart in pet care, so I spend all fucking day with small animals. Rats and guinea pigs absolutely should be in pairs, and it always breaks my heart a little when people insist on buying only one, against my recommendation. Hamsters are a mixed bag. Some are super sweet and chill, others bite the fuck out of anyone. Make sure to handle the hamster and get an idea of their personality before you buy. Males tend to be nicer.
>>
>>2006970
don't rats not acclimate to people if you get a pair of them? i've had two rats over the years (only one at a time) and we were best of buds. i also spent a lot of time with them though, didn't just leave them in the cage for hours or days at a time.
>>
>>2006970
Are there any particular breeds that are more aggressive?
>>
>>2006974
Syrians tend to be the nicest, robosn tend to be assholes. Seen exceptions both ways and the nicest hamster I ever met was a fancy bear, so.

As for the rats, nothing I ever heard about. But I've never actually owned rats.
>>
>>2006971
actualy they have an easier time bonding with you because they make each other feel more secure and brave

they are not like parrots, they don't see you as their breeding mate
>>
>>2007004
>breeding mate
that reminds me of my parakeets. stupid pieces of shit never shut the fuck up. never stop screaming, shitting, masturbating on the perch, masturbating on the cage bars, masturbating on your hand. worst pets ever, fucking horrible little beasties.

my pet rats were fantastic though. loved them so much :3

I'll remember that about the pair of rats though, if I ever get rats again. my friend had two rats and they were happy as hell.
>>
>>2007009
Don't hold it against the parakeets. This pathological behavior develops because they are forced in a lifestyle where their natural instincts can't flourish, and are in a state of constant frustration.
>>
File: FUKKENDIE.gif (2 MB, 251x203) Image search: [Google]
FUKKENDIE.gif
2 MB, 251x203
>>2007010
yeah well i don't hold it against them. i just fucking hated them. i think it would have been fantastic if we never crossed paths.
>>
>>2007017
Why didn't you give them away?
>>
File: geeps.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>2007032
i didn't want to give them away anon. i wanted them dead. it's not the same thing.
>>
File: what.png (700 KB, 616x539) Image search: [Google]
what.png
700 KB, 616x539
>>2006937
I recommend reading up on them first. Try HamsterHideout.com/forum Theres lots of things to read up on. But a syrian hamster (teddy/fancy bear) is good choice. They're always friendly. Get a male not a female. Females tend to really stink when they're in heat. Do not buy pine or any kind of softwood bedding at all costs. It maybe cheaper than Aspen or paper based bedding but those can cause respiratory issues and will need a trip to a vet. Also make sure you save some money up just in case your hamster ever gets sick.
>>
>>2006937
The problem with small rodents in college is crazy drunk people can be mean.
>>
>>2006970
Not op but we just bought a guinea pig and was thinking of going back and buying its cage mate, would I be able to put the two together right away or do they need to be introduced slowly?
>>
Hamsters are little retards, just for watching. Easily spooked, mean to humans.
If you want a real companion, get a rat.
>>
>>2007260
Not all hamsters are the same..please dont lump them altogether like that.
>>
>>2007254
If they were in the cage together at the store then they should be fine if it hasn't been too long. When people return animals (it happens) they usually just go right back in after a checkup by Banfield.
>>
>>2007237
Also, sadly, this is true :(

>>2007260
I'm with >>2007267 here, hamsters are like cats in that the personality and temperament can really vary hamster to hamster. At work right now there's this long-hair Syrian who just does not give a fuck, you can pick him up and he'll travel up your arm to sit on your shoulder, won't bite for anything (and I actually TRIED to get him to bite me, not by being mean but by picking him up exactly the wrong way, he wouldn't do it).

I really want to buy him but I have two cats (one of whom would make it his mission in life to end a hamster, he's a hunter) so I don't think that would be a good fit. :(
>>
>>2006974
Syrians are typically easier to handle, but do the most damage if they bite

Russian Dwarves tend to bite the most, and are the most 'violent' out of all breeds to handlers and other hamsters

Most Robos don't bite at all but are incredibly skittish and fast. If one slips out of your grasp there's a pretty good chance that it's gone forever. These are the only hamsters that can be kept in small groups but some are still assholes that will pick on others.

Males are typically friendler, and females are more likely to bite.
>>
>>2006937
Advice in this thread is good but make sure you check with your university's regulations. Do they allow small animals?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.