[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to start a colony this spring as a hobby. Any tips for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: russian_queen_May112007.jpg (90 KB, 416x365) Image search: [Google]
russian_queen_May112007.jpg
90 KB, 416x365
Going to start a colony this spring as a hobby.
Any tips for an aspiring young beekeep?
>>
>>2006878
wear a hat?

also, depening on your locality, the bear danger is very very real. they'll travel like 30miles for you bees and they don't fuck around once they locte it.
>>
>>2006880
I live in Utah, and there are a lot of local bee keepers around. There are bears, but they are all way up in the mountains. they never make it as far into the valley as my home.
>>
>>2006878
-Do you live in the suburbs or rurally ? - sometimes local government laws and public opinion can get prevent you.

-If you are starting off make sure to get at least too hives, reason being that it allows you to compare them and be better able to spot differences and problems.

-Bees aren't as handsfree as you might think, you do need to keep tabs and check on them, especially in America where disease and parasites are such a big problem.

-You will get stung

-Once they reach a certain size hive wise they will swarm - which is where half the hive effectively leaves to start a new one. If you dont prempt this and move bees to a hive box of your own, you'll effectively loose half your hive. Not only that but if you live in suburbia they might try and form a new hive in your or your neighbors roofs which will cause trouble.

-Make sure to read blogs by beekeepers/browse the relevant forums as well as do your own research. Its not complex but its not real easy either.

-When buying queens if you can get them marked ie with a coloured spot put on them this will help you monitor your hives.

-Most people have irrational fear of bees - remember this when dealing with people in relation to your hobby.
>>
>>2006927
I live in a suburban area in Utah. We are the Beehive State, and generally, Beekeeping isnt frowned upon. there are 2 other beekeepers within a short distance, and back yard animal husbandry is a big thing here.

Also, yeah, I get stung by bees fairly often. I grew up on a farm, I am used to bug bites and stings, though they are unpleasant.

I am willing and able to check up on my bees, and it is one of the things I most look forward to. Im not a real honey lover, this is more for wanting to cultivate things since I am away from the family farm, and I want to take care of something, and I have always been very interested in bees ever since a bee farm near my house got vandalized, and there was a huge cloud of bees you could see for miles.
>>
>>2006935
You and your circumstances seem quite fortunate then and suburban bees can produce some really good honey. however I would still implore you to square things out with your neighbors lest they cause a stink. Parents with young children can be particulary bad when it comes to this. - sharing honey can help a lot with this if need be. Its really good that you have other beekeepers nearby as well.

Bees are very special insects and trust me once you start reading more about then your respect and interest will only grow.

Also its not an issue in my country but wintering is something you might have to learn about.
>>
>>2006959
Yes, we have very cold very snowy winters here. There was almost a foot of snow this morning, but since there are so many beekeepers around, I assume this is soemthing the bees can handle. Also, there are a lot of bees around here. I am learning more every day, and I will make sure my hives are insulated enough, or whatever considerations I need to take so the colony lasts the winter.
Considering Russian honey bees.
>>
>>2006878
Be careful! some bees have been known to sting people
>>
>>2006878
Bees are not compatible with human semen for breeding.
>>
>>2006878
buy nuc or package ASAP. come spring you ain't gonna find shit. beekeeping is like being the batman, its 90% prep time so get ready now. read read read and get your shit together.

other tip: a veil is a good idea but don't wear gloves. gloves make you clumsy and smooshing bees pisses them off a lot more than exposed hands. baby powder on the hands is soothing to them. only wear gloves when its robbing time and i doubt you will get to rob in the first year
>>
>>2007045
Will do. Looking at local beekeeping resources as we speak.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbMV9qYIXqM

What does /an/ think of the Flowhie?
It doesnt look big enough to be sustainable over the first winter.
>>
>>2007737
Doesnt allow for comb honey either.
>>
>>2006878
Speaking of Beekeeping, anyone watch this crazy fuck?
His bee keeping in hot pants gives me horrible anxiety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmA8hb-1rFk
>>
File: Bee 001.jpg (84 KB, 599x444) Image search: [Google]
Bee 001.jpg
84 KB, 599x444
Inspect your colonies OFTEN and TREAT for Varroa destructor mites and other diseases that you may find. Do not use top-bar hives like an ignorant hippy as they are not as inspectable as a Langstroth hive and spread disease. Also, "organic" beekeeping is irresponsible uneducated bullshit. Get yourself a subscription to the American Bee Journal. Joining a beekeeping club is relatively mandatory for beginners. Please do not try to fly this solo.
>>
>>2007888
Dont worry. Im not a hippie faggot. I am going to care for those fuckers. I plan on going to some beekeeping seminars with the local keepers in my neighborhood.
>>
>>2007737
Its a great idea if you live in a world that has no ashb or any kind of disease and you intend to by new bees every year fue to the inherent negligence. Aside from that ive always enjoyed the little upset stomach from eating honey that wasnt ready to be pulled yet.
>>
Any aussie beekeepers here?
>>
>>2008219
Are you the damn flow hive guy?
Also, I love how Aussies say "Bees" its fun.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.