[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wild rabbit as a pet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: miss rabbit.jpg (240 KB, 1000x752) Image search: [Google]
miss rabbit.jpg
240 KB, 1000x752
My cat opens and closes a door, and he brought a rabbit inside the house and stored it in the cupboard for later. I only found this out today when he was pawing in a cupboard. And a baby rabbit ran out of the cupboard. So I rescued it from the cat and I've been getting it to drink water, I've also put antiseptic cream on an old scarred wound where the cat grabbed it.

So pet rabbit advice, is what I'm after.

How many hours of sunlight do rabbits need per day, and how large of an enclosure, at the moment I have the rabbit in a cardboard box with some hay in it stored away from the cat.
>>
Edit: it's antibiotic/antiseptic cream.
>>
Wild rabbits do not make good pets. They do not tame well and most die from captivity stress.
>>
>>2006490
Well this one likes me, she closes her eyes when I hold her.
>>
>>2006491
Because it is terrified out of its mind and it can't cope. Or it is seriously injured and is dying.
>>
File: 3r3.jpg (479 KB, 992x744) Image search: [Google]
3r3.jpg
479 KB, 992x744
>>2006493
Yeah it is injured from the cat, it moves slowly and prefers to huddle up at stay still.

Should I nurse it some more, or release it tomorrow, I only got it today.
>>
>>2006498
Let it go ASAP. That rabbit looks like it it's dying.
>>
>>2006499
Right will do.
>>
>>2006498
That rabbit is gonna die.
>>
If you want to help wildlife then keep your cat indoors.
>>
>>2006475
>>2006498
Wildlife rehab, it doesn't look well. Its generally a bad idea to keep wild animals anyway, the stress usually finishes them off.
>>
File: IMG-20151031-WA0000.jpg (56 KB, 479x349) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151031-WA0000.jpg
56 KB, 479x349
>his cat is outdoors
this autism is too much
>>
This reminds me of the time I found a bunch of white rabbits in the woods near by. They were easy to catch because they were black and white babies and kept tripping over themselves as I chased them. I only gave one a home because it didn't scream bloody murder.
>>
Congratulations OP,you letting your cat outside just killed a rabbit.
>>
>>2006498
Sorry OP he ain't looking too good... Wild rabbits don't make very good pets anyways. The combination of being contained in a cage and and very frightened of what you'd consider normal household objects often leads to early death. If you vacuum or sweep, or even use the lawnmower outside, and the rabbit tries to run away but can't because they are in a cage, they will often have heart attacks. I've rehabilitated wild bunnies before, and that happened to me on a few batches; they died from me using the vacuum in another room, sweeping, and even when I was mowing outside. Even as infants, bunnies can't be tamed well. They are just so very skittish and frightened of everything. That's why we have domesticated rabbits that can cope with stress much better than their wild counterparts.

People often discard pet rabbits out into the wild, thinking they will survive. If you see any pet rabbits hopping about, definitely grab them! They can live outside for a while, but are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to feeding themselves, finding shelter, and hiding/running from predators.

Any small animal that has been attacked my a cat needs to see a vet, though. In this case a wildlife vet (an exotics vet may look at it also, but not always). The bacteria in cat's claws and saliva are nasty, and can actually kill people if left untreated. So there's no doubt it would kill a rabbit if left to fester. I would suggest finding a local wildlife rehab center. Generally your state's department of conservation will have a list of animal rehabilitation centers to call, and see if they take in older rabbits. Good luck
>>
That rabbit is severely dehydrated and needs medical attention. Feeding it water won't help, it's at a stage where it needs fluids subcutaneously.

Also wild rabbits make terrible pets and doesn't like you its just too sick to fight you. Take it to a rehab and go buy a rabbit you stupid fuck.
>>
>>2006522
Those sound like pet bunnies someone abandoned. Unless you have a wild species of rabbit where you live that are black and white. It's unfortunately common for people to dump unwanted pet rabbits outside, so it's great that you managed to grab one and re-home it.
>>
>>2006491
>Well this one likes me, she closes her eyes when I hold her.
jesus christ. take it to an animal; shelter or just throw it outside you fucking psycho.
>>
I found a bunch of wild baby rabbits some years ago, only just opended their eyes, and I took one home with me. He was very friendly, but maybe because he was so young? I fed him that milk that you feed baby rabbits, and he turned into the best p et ever, He hung out in my back yard, he was as tame as rabbits you buy from the stores, but more energetic, he always loved his cuddled and he even tried to talk, when he was a year or so he would make little oo oo noises in reply to me talking.
honestly I would recommend leaving wild rabbits, and the one in your photo looks too old to tame so well. I guess once its better to let it go in the wild again?
>>
File: 1434935682602.jpg (35 KB, 600x610) Image search: [Google]
1434935682602.jpg
35 KB, 600x610
>outdoor cat
>>
File: 1405796668602.gif (994 KB, 450x221) Image search: [Google]
1405796668602.gif
994 KB, 450x221
>outdoor cat
>>
File: 2015-10-16 00.45.07.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-16 00.45.07.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>2006490
>and most die from captivity stress

>have rabbit from 2007 to 2015
>kept rabbit in garage the last five years of her life
>accidentally leave garage door open for an hour one day
>I go downstairs to shut garage
>rabbit is still in garage

She had more than enough opportunity to run away. If rabbits die from 'captivity stress', then that must mean the owner is treating them like shit. My rabbit died of old age just recently. Miss her dearly.
>>
>>2008951
That don't look like a wild rabbit to me, boo.
>>
>>2006528
near where I live there is a sort of wilderness park near the river. And there have always been a TON of wild rabbits there. Then this last summer some weird looking rabbits showed up. They looked like wild rabbits, but with all sorts of weird colors. They one day I saw why. Someone had abandoned a pet rabbit at the park (I saw the original parent, unlike it's offspring, it looked nothing like a wild rabbit) and it had apparently mated with the wild rabbits. So there are about 6 or 8 oddly colored wild rabbits running around. They are much less shy of humans than regular wild rabbits, but they still won't let you get too close. They just don't run away at the sight of people. They run away when the people get too close. Usually. I actually sat down in the woods watching one eat, and I just sat still for 10 minutes, and the rabbit came closer and closer, and then it actually walked over my legs as it moved on. I could have easily grabbed it if i had wanted.
>>
We had rabbits at my school. One day some people came in with a wild rabbit they mistook for one of ours because it was running around in the area and we put it in one of the cages.I'm assuming the teachers were planning on calling animal service the next day, or maybe just releasing it.

But next day it was dead. Probably from stress I now realize.
>>
>>2008951

That's very clearly not a wild rabbit with that color pattern. Anon is talking about the fact that over 90% of wild rabbits die quickly when 'rescued' by people, not the fact that you managed to not kill a domesticated pet bunny which is specifically bred to live in captivity.
>>
hey, i have rabbits in my garden and occasionally i will sit next to them and they look at me but otherwise don't pay me any mind.

moreover there are quite a lot of them where i live.

should they be scared of me if they're wild? what's going on that the nearby bunny population isn't skittish around humans?
>>
>>2008951
>other post clearly says wild rabbits
>posts cute domesticated rabbit
>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>2009005

If they appear healthy (sick rabbits can appear docile, but it's usually pretty clear they're just too ill to respond), they're probably just really desensitised. I live on a military base and we're overrun with bunnies that hardly bother getting out of the way when you're walking around.
>>
>>2009005
Wild bunnies can become used to humans if they live in a populated area, like birds.
>>
>>2009282
>non-anecdotal citation needed
>>
Fuck I always hated people like you who thought they'd keep a wild animal as a pet when I worked at a rehab center. If you try to take care of a sick or injured animal again jut pit it somewhere dark and quiet until you can take it to a rehab center.
>>
>>2009302
Yes, as we all know, everyone in the world has an animal rehabilitation facility within ~20 minutes driving distance and a car.

My closest rehab center is two hours from here. That's not enough time if you're dealing with an injured enough animal.

How're the suburbs and mommy's money treating you?
>>
>>2006511
I second this, cats should be shot if found outside!
>>
>>2006511
>>2009908
idk, moderated outdoor time isn't bad. mine is 99% an indoor cat, but i take her outside for walks and stuff.
>>
Rabbits are tough animals. I have 2 I got from a shelter. They need lots of hay, a 24/7 supply. they're digestive systems are very sensitive. since its a wild rabbit maybe go out and just pick tons of grass, mix it in with hay from the store. (only timothy hay) cuz you don't want to change up its diet too quickly.

if you plan on keeping it, take it to the vet to get checked out. most rabbits dont really like being picked up. probably even more stressful for a wild rabbit. rabbits are prey animals. they're only constant thought is "whats going to try to eat me next?" they equate being picked up with potentially being eaten. if itll let you pet it, only pet its head, up until right behind the ears at first. thats the sweet spot. even if its sitting still while you pet it, if the ears go tense and it is breathing very rapidly, its terrified of you, and leave it alone. but they also play dead, if it seems like the breathing has stopped and it goes flat, it's terrified again, and playing dead. .... rabbits can be a bit hard to read.

rabbits are extremely sensitive so the whole "captivity stress" thing could be true. they don't like change. and this is a big change. try to be as quiet as possible, and make the surroundings as peaceful as possible. a sudden loud noise can be enough for a rabbit to die of cardiac arrest, especially if they're already stressed out. keep the cat and the rabbit separate. you might not be able to bond with it, if you want to try, it'll take a LONG time. hours of sitting and waiting and trust exercises.

be careful, mind your p's and q's and do a lot of research. Good luck.
>>
>>2006475
I wouldn't

Rabbis are kinda lousy pets. They're not bad pets, they're just not worth it for the work. They shit and piss more than a dog and cat combined and eat through almost everything. Mine sheds twice a year and gets endless amounts of hair on everything. They're great for cuddling and stuff but I just don't think they're worth the work. They live for quite a while too.
>>
>>2006475
Mostly I'm impressed you've managed to teach your cat that the cabinet is for storing food for later.
>>
>>2010117
...taking your cat out on a leash is clearly not what people are talking about when they mention outdoor cats. so don't worry, you're not the person all the anons are hating on.

>>2010912
this
they just sit there and look dumb and chew on my pants

anyways, why on earth is this thread still alive? OP's rabbit is certainly dead.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.