[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All right my fellow human beings. I am looking for a low maintenance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1447128186022.jpg (175 KB, 708x826) Image search: [Google]
1447128186022.jpg
175 KB, 708x826
All right my fellow human beings.
I am looking for a low maintenance pet. Can be whatever (Fish, bird, reptile, whatever aside from insects I fucking hate them). Must be cheap or easily available in the wild (I live in Italy).

Back home there's a small lake where cute little water snails live, I'd usually furnish a small acquarium for them and just watch them reproduce and eat algae but I am away from home now.

Thank you.
>>
Betta fish.
Hamsters.
>>
>>2006445
What if I went out with a jar, filled it with random soil, made a few small holes on the top of it, dropped a bit of water in there while providing sunlight and waited what happens?
>>
>>2006535
You might get springtails, or nematodes, or some neat fungus. Maybe some cute babby weeds will grow if you are lucky.

There are some pretty garden snails in Italy, they make nice pets. Good for your skin.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what is easy to find this time of year.
>>
>>2006442
Common frogs, hermit crabs, and mice are all relatively easy to take care of.
>>
>>2006547
Noice.
I need a jar and random soil from wherever.
How many holes would the jar need? How much water approximately? What happens if creepy things start crawling out the holes or disease/parasites/whatever?
>>
>>2006547
>snails

Oh yeah, plenty of them around these parts. Very pretty and large, in my home town they actually eat them. How should a habitat suitable for them be prepared? Do they reproduce in captivity? What do they eat?
>>
>>2006583
>How many holes would the jar need?
Hold cheesecloth across top with rubberband, keeps most things in.
>How much water approximately?
Moist, but not damp. Spray with water once a day is usually good. Being too wet will give you lots of mold, but even that can look interesting in its own right.
>What happens if creepy things start crawling out the holes or disease/parasites/whatever?
None of the creepy things can hurt you so long as you don't eat or inhale them. If paranoid, set jar in dish of shallow water to prevent escape or weird things from trying to get in jar and eat your pets.

>>2006586
>How should a habitat suitable for them be prepared? What do they eat?
http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Garden-Snails
>Do they reproduce in captivity?
Yes. Even a solitary snail is capable of producing more (for the species I'm thinking of anyway). Eggs are pretty obvious though, if you want to get rid of them.
>>
>>2006609
Fucking neat. These two shall be my next two projects petwise. Thanks for the information.
>>
Bumping this thread.

So, I now have one jar filled with random soil. No creepy thing have crawled out of the soil, and I've made a few holes for air circulation.

I want to see nature fight itself so I've dropped a few lentils in the jar. I want to see who shall win between the lentils and the random seeds in the random soil.

Next, I have a question. If I put some random soil with some water in another jar, but then I seal the jar tight and never open it again, will it die? Will the plants have enough carbon monoxide or whatever to survive? Can it form a closed mini "ecosystem" ?
>>
File: 81vPzG13LRL._SL1500_.jpg (286 KB, 1500x1236) Image search: [Google]
81vPzG13LRL._SL1500_.jpg
286 KB, 1500x1236
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.