[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Pet in a no-pet allowed bulding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Leo.jpg (114 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Leo.jpg
114 KB, 720x960
Hi guys. This is Leo. I've had him for about 2 months. He is my first pet ever and unfortunately the building where I live is a no-pet allowed building. What options do I have? I don't have medical insurance for a therapist to provide a prescription for an emotional support animal at the moment'; so how can I keep my pet?
>>
File: HeaderBigTruck.png (133 KB, 404x228) Image search: [Google]
HeaderBigTruck.png
133 KB, 404x228
Anon if you lived in a no-pet building you shouldn't have gotted a pet, and if you gotted a pet first you shouldn't have moved into a no-pet building. I can't inderstand how you got into this predicament.

You have to move. Don't you dare give away/sell/abandon Leo. I will find you and gut you like an anchovy if you abandon that pooch.
>>
>>2004570
Fair enough and I know I shouldn't have. I was afraid of dogs until 2 months ago. I could never see myself going inside a fenced area with 6+ dogs at the dog park before. He has changed my life and I will not leave him. Thing is I can't move yet so I'll have to go to court with the landlord if it needs be.
>>
>>2004567
#1 reason dogs are brought to a shelter are because the owner has to move/has moved/is living in an area what does not allow dogs.

Your options are slim; either move where you ARE allowed to have dogs, or get rid of your dog. Luckily you have a cute puppy. Unfortunately your puppy is black and extremely plain looking. I can't imagine you would be any good at screening potential adopters, so I would advise looking for local rescue groups. Screening people is very difficult to do.

>>2004570
Do you really want someone who is stupid enough to get a dog while they are living in a no dog apartment, to be solely responsible for training and rearing an 8 week old puppy?
>>
File: geeps.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>2004573
>Do you really want someone who is stupid enough to get a dog while they are living in a no dog apartment, to be solely responsible for training and rearing an 8 week old puppy?
it's not about what I want anon
>>
>>2004572
You may just be evicted out and maybe fined; I can't imagine any good will come of it unless the landlord had made the decision illegally. Also good luck on finding an apartment that will let you have a big dog. That dog is going to get fucking huge. Your saving grace right now is that now he has floppy ears; if his ears begin to look erect, landlords can say he looks like a pit bull because he will fit the 'pit bull' description.

Finding an apartment that allows dogs is hard. Finding one that will allow big dogs is even worse. But finding one that allows big pit bulls is nigh impossible. If you do snag one, never let it go until you can find your own place
>>
Register it as an emotional service animal and they can't make you get rid of it.
>>
>>2004567
Look at those feet.

Your dog is going to get HUGE.
>>
>>2004580
i thought that only indicated cock size?
>>
>>2004581
Feet size is the most reliable predictor of how big a mixed-breed pup is going to end up when fully grown.
>>
>>2004579
that's what Imma do. Anybody got experience with this?
>>2004580
yes, everyone says that. he's 6months in December
>>
>>2004586
I don't have an experience personally, but you should look up your country/state's requirements.

Some may require your dog to be well behaved and proved it by making him perform half-a-dozen to a dozen "standard" commands.

If you haven't taught him things like roll over or play dead, you should now.
>>
>>2004586

In my state the only requirement is to file a form and have the animal vaccinated
>>
maybe if we cyberbully OP enough he can get a legit prescription for Leo >:]
>>
File: trigger.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
trigger.gif
133 KB, 311x366
>>2004595
>>
>>2004595
OP said he had phobia of dogs, and his puppy is helping him deal with that.

OP's pup qualifies emotional service dog under the current, very loose definition of what emotional service animal is.
>>
>>2004597
it wouldn't hurt to bully him anyway though right? >:D
>>
If he's a registered emotional support dog, it's illegal for them not to accept you because of the dog.
>>
>>2004572
go to court? you think they'll be on your side? if the landlord says there's no pets allowed and you signed the lease, he can simply make you get rid of the dog or evict you. there's nothing you can do to keep him except move.
>>
>>2004579
>emotional service animal
That's for actually mentally challenged people,and while OP is indeed retarded for bringing a dog in a no-pet apartment,it's not really the case. Just move out,it wont work.
>b-but I can't
Why can't you?
>b-but no money
Then how the fuck are you going to care for your dog?
>>
I think you guys aren't understanding actual emotional support animals. I mean I can understand why; I've seen so many scam sites saying that all you need to do is pay them $50 and you'll get a phony certificate, and many people don't really know what ESAs are or do because people mis use them so much.

First off, OP will need to go to a psychiatrist and be diagnosed with a mental disorder that is bad enough to be considered a disability. Then, OP will have to prove his animal helps with this disorder, and only then can the doctor claim the dog is an emotional support animal.

Now, even with the emotional support animal certificate, the ADA does not accept ESA as Service animals. However, the FHAA does require landlords to provide reasonable accommodations for ESAs. You would have to go to court with the landlord to see if waiving the 'no pet' policy is a reasonable accommodation, because not every court deems that it is and OP may still be fucked. If they do require the landlord to waive the policy for the ESA, OP may have to pay more money, a down deposit or a monthly extra charge, or abide by some other restrictions. OP will also have to take care of his dog; he can still be evicted if the animal causes property damage. OP can also be evicted/forced to re-home the dog if the dog is a nuisance to neighbors or believed to possibly be a potential threat. In the US, for dogs to be labeled a potential threat, all they have to do is appear menacing, bark or growl.

The whole process, from diagnoses to the end of the court case, will take OP several months
>>
>>2004633
fucking this

I have a husky mix that is a true ESA. morons throwing it around just to "get around the pet policy teehee" make me fucking ill

the best option is to surrender the puppy to a shelter NOW before he's big/older and less adoptable. say he's a lab mix. people will suck satan's dick to adopt a lab puppy

and fuck whatever irresponsible BYB you got him from. 8 weeks to someone without even getting landlord approval? geez
>>
Maybe it's my state or anything but I wanted to have a pet pig in town and getting it registered as an emotional support animal was near effortless and it was legally binding to preventing them from fussing about it.

And it's just a landlord, as soon as you raise the fuss over its "a esa, take me to court over it" they'll give up because that shit is expensive.
>>
>>2004589
>>2004593
How do I find out? All I can see are phony websites.
>>
>>2004641
because they ARE phony

you need to talk to a psychiatrist
>>
>>2004638
what state? because ESA doesn't work like that
>>
>>2004641
Follow the instructions listed here >>2004633
Any 'easy out' by buying a certificate is a scam, and not legally binding.
>>
>>2004576
you do know that pitbulls have rose ears, and not erect. if anything, it will resemble a GSD more than a pitbull with naturally erect ears

also OP, you are a fucking retard, what were you thinking when you got that poor dog ? (i'm seriously curious as to what you were actually thinking)
>>
>>2004573
>>2004634
Where did you fucks even pick up "8 weeks pup"? OP said he got it two months ago, not that it was 8 weeks. And then later says he's six months soon, meaning he got him at 12~16 weeks, not 8, and that's before >>2004634
>>
File: CRW_0020.jpg (529 KB, 1228x921) Image search: [Google]
CRW_0020.jpg
529 KB, 1228x921
Where are you located OP? I'll take him. I have a great yard for a dog and he's loveable af.
>>
>>2004573

>it's extremely hard to screen people

literally just talk to them, prepare a list of questions you think are pertinent in figuring out how responsible (yeah, this one might actually be a stretch for OP) owners they would be.

>why do you want a dog?
>have you ever had a dog before?
>if so, how long did he live? what happened when he died? do you still ahve him? etc.
>where will the dog sleep?
>how long have you spent at your current residence? are you expecting to move any time soon?
>DOES YOUR PLACE OF RESIDENCE ALLOW DOGS?

it's not rocket science. you want to figure out if someone will be motivated enough to give the dog a good, stable home. get a feel for how serious they are about the dog, etc.

obviously OP isn't exactly a font of wisdom but they don't know that.
>>
>>2004690

where's the fighting pit?
>>
>>2004691
Implying screening is that easy

>breeder/rescuer friend of mine rescues puppy
>nice family who look responsible/etc. adopts with an obligation to spay
>after 2 years the same dog gets to the rescuer, thin as fuck, with visible signs that it had given birth in like 2-3 weeks
>asks the people who adopted the dog how it is
>'yea we totally spayed her, and she is doing just fine, very playful athletic '

Seriously people these days
>>
>>2004702

this is not testament to the ease of screening, but the limitations of it. you can only test peoples' outward display -- part of the screening process is to try to gently break it to see what's behind it. but ultimately there's only so much you can learn about someone in the time it reasonably takes to perform a screening. this says nothing about how "difficult" it actually is to just ask the right questions and try to read into their responses
>>
File: dis guy.jpg (43 KB, 850x315) Image search: [Google]
dis guy.jpg
43 KB, 850x315
>>2004693
>>
>>2004674
There is a 'check list' of what qualifies a dog as a pit bull, that may vary from state to state... they only need to have anywhere from 3 to 10 fitting matches on the check list to be a pit bull. As it stands, a pure bred Labrador would be a pit bull in most states. But the checklist is mainly used by police and landlords so they can back up their claims that a dog is a pit bull, not to decide if a dog is a pit bull. It's also widely used in BSL areas

>>2004691
People lie. Most of my job is screening people, and it's very fucking difficult doing it on conversation alone, and I have a list of people not to adopt to on top of that. At least a quarter of the dogs I adopt out are returned within a year, and it rises after that. Of course I will never know the amount of dogs abandoned, given elsewhere, sold elsewhere (although I do know a handful I have adopted how have been sold on craiglist). It is a lot of mind games, and understanding how people act when they lie, and as the current owner of the animal, trying to find a new home for an animal, you sometimes have to be a pushy asshole. Being polite gets you walked on by assholes (which doesn't mean assholes make bad pet parents, but you need to make sure they wont chew you up, spit you out and take horrible care of your dog). Not everyone is cut out for it, has the time or resources for it

But something very few people understand is how hard it is to say no to people, especially the very pushy people who are probably the ones who, among others, REALLY shouldn't have the dog. After years of counseling people, I still will need help from others, just to back me up, to say no to someone.

If OP wants to go the re-homing route, I could definitely give tips. But it's strenuous, especially considering he has a lab looking puppy and everyone wants that
>>
>>2004675
>implying anyone but a BYB would sell a dog to someone without verified landlord approval
>>
>>2004583
That's not true at all. All mutt puppies are a gamble, there is no way to accurately predict a puppies size if you do not know the parents.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.