[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do rats love their owners? Like, do they actually care? Or are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 19
File: enhanced-12366-1409764113-9.jpg (37 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-12366-1409764113-9.jpg
37 KB, 625x417
Do rats love their owners? Like, do they actually care? Or are they just like mice or hamsters who don't seem to care at all for you unless you have food? Do they crave attention? Cuddle? I'm looking for an apartment pet, but I want something that will actually enjoy and care about my company.
>>
Yeah I would say they do, and I would extend that to some mice too. In my experience they really seem to miss you when you are gone and they seem to choose their owner/really treat different people differently.

If you are doing it right they will sit and wait for you to let them out and get excited when they see you. Some individuals almost act like dogs who wants to be petted.

Rats and mice are highly intelligent and you can learn them tricks , they all have their own personality and they can be very loyal (one of my males really hated everyone but me when it came to touching stuff in his cage, like REALLY hated everyone else and bit everything that even came close to his "territory".. but when it came to me he just ran over and started to climb up my arm, wanting to sit on my shoulder and follow me around the house :) )
>>
File: 1448105170327s.jpg (9 KB, 184x250) Image search: [Google]
1448105170327s.jpg
9 KB, 184x250
Rats feel empathy to the point that they will save a friends life (Another rat) instead of getting food, so i'm going to assume that if you are nice to your rat they will feel a lot of love for you.
>>
File: 1443999278487.jpg (86 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
1443999278487.jpg
86 KB, 560x420
no, rats are not capable of love, only nociception.
they can't feel anything, so feel free to do whatever with them. this is a picture of my rat setup.
>>
File: 1438706814520.jpg (30 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1438706814520.jpg
30 KB, 500x332
>>2004400
I hope someday you will awaken and see the error of your ways my friend.

But until then I'm going to have to address you as you are now : an unfunny troll, a sociopath, and a piss-poor excuse for a shitposter. I didn't know shitposting had a margin of quality until your faggot ass showed up on this board but boy did you prove me wrong.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (35 KB, 269x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
35 KB, 269x200
>>2004405
holy shit dude you didn't have to get that mad, it was probably a joke
>>
>>2004400
rats have demonstrated components of consciousness.
>>
I'm also torn between getting a rat or a guinea pig, what should I do?
>>
>>2004459
rats are superior to guinea pigs.

not because rats are so amazing, it's just that guinea pigs are shit.
>>
>>2004461
but rats live like 3 years max, that's kinda shitty enough, desu.
>>
>>2004471
wow /an/ is censoring words now? I've been away for too long.
>>
>>2004472
They sure are senpai kek
>>
>>2004455
so everything that bugguy likes/finds cool is conscious.

everything else is nociception
>>
>>2004498
i wasn't wrong earlier, i just changed my mind because rats are a whole lot sexier to me than other rodents.
>>
>>2004498
I don't like rats.

rats have demonstrated metacognition.
>>
>>2004500
I prefere this bugguy
>>
>>2004087
At the very least they enjoy being around you. Many rats like to cuddle with and groom their owners.
>>
>>2004515
Look into a mirror to see if you fail the miror test that defines conciousness
>>
>>2004682
>the joke
>
>
>
>
>your head
>>
File: WP_20151009_002.jpg (100 KB, 657x414) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151009_002.jpg
100 KB, 657x414
>>2004515
>>
>>2004472
Not just /an/, 4chan as a whole.
>>
>>2004472

if you're one of those people who actually say that gay shit i hope you stay away for longer
>>
>>2004509
*prefer
>>
>>2004775
shut up faggot
>>
>>2004811
> 2015
> still thinking it's ok to use homophobic slurs
>>
>>2004433
>Tripdubs
>Posts a still GIF
wat
>>
File: 1448176675791.jpg (63 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
1448176675791.jpg
63 KB, 706x706
>>2004906
>>
File: 1440286432749.jpg (203 KB, 381x424) Image search: [Google]
1440286432749.jpg
203 KB, 381x424
>>2004821
>2015
>still giving a shit about homophobic slurs

I am actually gay and it blows my goddamn mind to see people get so upset about this shit. It's a word, not a punch in the fucking face.

Getting called a faggot is like the least offensive thing someone can do to you. I'd prefer someone calling me a faggot to farting in my general vicinity or wearing a goddamn hat I don't like. Get the fuck over yourself.
>>
>>2004920
What you're not understanding is that derogative words are exactly that, derogatory. Majority stem from social stigma, so by using it you encourage it's association with that group of people which doesn't help the least bit, faggot.
>>
>>2004920
And in case you don't understand, human emotions are a product of our evolved socialization skills so emotional pain still exists beyond your Kristen Stewart sociopathic mindset.

Oh and you're still a faggot.
>>
>>2004927
>assert that emotional pain is real
>call your opponent a sociopath
>then try to inflict emotional pain on them because you're a sociopath

people can choose not to be hurt by the opinions of retards and strangers.
Sorry.
>>
>>2004929
>Implicated assertion that psychological pain is nonexistent despite the countless observations you likely see everyday
>Ironically you didn't substantiate nor demonstrate this conjecture
>Not knowing that the likelihood of you being sociopathic from a observational stance took from your word salad that clearly implies your mindset and overall character
>Last bit was supposed to ironically conceding with your drivel

You honestly couldn't be more of a faggot even if you tried.
>>
>>2004933
>thinks I'm the person she was previously arguing with.

ah, retards.
>>
>>2004929
Oh and I failed to address the most conical part.

>saying people can choose not be hurt by others words yet they still do, so you still failed to demonstrate this bullshit because others are less prone and more composed than others

At least you tried, Anon.
>>
>>2004936
>more word salad
I liked "conical" best.
are you on meds for your schizophrenia?
>>
>>2004934
Ah, even if you weren't the person I was originally arguing with it still wonderfully applied to you outstandly. Your in the same boat and I still addressed you, and either way you're still a faggot.
>>
>>2004937
Comical*
>>
>>2004939
>it still wonderfully applied to you outstandly
no, but seriously,
is English your second language or do you have a mental illness?

go back and read your comments and tell me if they mean anything. Because your use of the language is FUBAR.
>>
>>2004942
Second
>>
File: 1439567583472.jpg (127 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1439567583472.jpg
127 KB, 600x450
>>2004924
You're sorely mistaken in the assumption that I give a fuck.

If there's one thing internet culture has done it's stripped both the sting and meaning out of words like "faggot" Fag is pretty much a suffix at this point, and relieving a word of it's original meaning through saturation is a far more effective method of spreading tolerance than banning it or ever discouraging it's use.

But please, do go on about how I'm harming my fellow buttfuckers by slinging derogatory language around on a Renaissance-era-tapestry-weaving festival.
>>
>>2004944
But your not helping your cause .
>>
>>2004943
second as in you agree, the second of the listed options, or your second language?

If anon writes this badly, isn't it just possible that her comprehension is equally mistaken?
>>
>>2004947
he explicitly stated how he's helping his cause.

take people's hate words and make them meaningless.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
YES YES YES!!! Absolutely rats make great pets. Particularly dumbo rats, as they show great affection for their humans, I.e. Kissing, grooming, playing, cuddling. I would suggest contacting a rat rescue group in your area to adopt a lovely little ratty.
>>
>>2004944
believing that because internet culture has saturated and changed the definition in individual communities (such as 4chan) that it will rid the problem of it's usage in reality. The definition is still a term relating to a homosexual male and using it to denote someone is still wrong at the core. It's equivalent to calling a black man a nigger and saying because you use it as a replacement for friend justifies it. But it doesn't justify nor it's previous and common derogative meaning and obvious history of it. That's why people don't say it because nigger is still a derogative slur used to denote black people, thus it's association with social stigma from centuries ago exist.

It does more damage than it does create tolerance. Not only that, that is how the word stays.
>>
>>2004948
Second language
I'm on my phone so yeah
>>
>>2004944
If you truly want to help, teach people that its usage is wrong not just attempting to change it's meaning.
>>
>>2004960
notice that the southpark episode "the F word" correctly points out that "faggot" no longer applies to homosexuals. In another southpark episode they point out how saying "nigger" still causes harm.

It's just a cartoon, but they have their finger on the pulse of America. "Faggot" isn't an insult anymore, at least not the one you keep pretending it is.
>>
>>2004966
Words and their definition evolve independently. Nigger had really bad history with but faggot just referred to someone's sexual orientation so it cannot be compared. And my argument still applies, even to south park. A day ago in a dick rate thread on /b/ people where calling the posters faggot left and right.
>>
>>2004944
> I speak for the entire LGBT community

Do you have any idea how much damage your ignorance is causing?
>>
Rats can be as affectionate as dogs. They're a pack animal with a fairly sophisticated hierarchy, they crave interaction and cuddling.Their social intelligence is much higher compared to that of a Guinea pig or hamster.

I would say a rat that has been well handled from birth can definitely love their owner - as in they seek you out for comfort and cuddles, come when you call, groom your fingers and roll up in your lap to sleep etc.
>>
>>2004953
Anthony Fantano?
>>
>>2004997
I want a big rat like in op picture but don't know where to find one as big

;_;
>>
>>2004971
You delusional if you think every time someone writes faggot they literally mean 'homosexual male'. A faggot is whiny douche-bag of any sexual orientation. Like nigger, homos often call each other fags and faggot. It only has an ugly meaning directly pertaining to homosexuals if you want it to, but it can also just mean a fucking idiot.
>>
>>2005003
There's a difference between nigger and nigga.
>>
File: 1448502633011s.jpg (4 KB, 125x122) Image search: [Google]
1448502633011s.jpg
4 KB, 125x122
>>2005003
Seriously? You actually posted this mess of an argument I just addressed above?
>hint: communities like 4chan
>>
>>2005003
And of course not everyone uses it the same way, but the widespread associated definition used to denote homosexuals stemming from social stigma doesn't disappear so thus using it encourages its derogative use because there is no context besides its original meaning.
>>
File: 1442030902128.jpg (9 KB, 153x155) Image search: [Google]
1442030902128.jpg
9 KB, 153x155
>>2004965
But it's not wrong. It's a goddamn word and you can chose wither or not to be offended by it. I chose not to be because I'm not a sniveling little pussy with a victim complex.

>>2004980
>causing damage
>By calling people faggots anonymously on the internet
>By not being offended by a word IRL

Did that argument actually make sense in your head or did it just kind of flop out of there with the rest of the bullshit?
>>
>>2004720
how ironic

>the joke
>
>
>
>
>your head
>>
>>2004937
>>2004936
>>2004934
>>2004933
>>2004929
>>2004927
>>2004924
>>2004920
it is all nociception stfu faggots
>>
>>2005206
No, it doesn't. You're argument does not make sense, because people still have emotions and they can react in anyway. Just because some aren't offended doesn't mean others aren't because of the previous statements above.

Your fucking argument solely relies on a very well composed person and a word that shouldn't be treated as offensive. It's simple; don't use it to denote others and they won't get offended, because whether or not you think they shouldn't doesn't mean they won't.

If you can't understand how people actually function in society then be prepared when that black person beats the crap out of you for calling him a nigger; I'd doubt he'd even wait for you to explain why he shouldn't be offended, because he should. Words do hurt and because you think they're nothing is why people commit suicide.
>>
>>2005361
Kinda made a big jump at the suicide part, it's a reason why some commit suicide.
>>
I wish these faggots would stop arguing and start posting rat pics desu senpai.
>>
File: Rats-with-Teddy-Bears-14.jpg (34 KB, 605x465) Image search: [Google]
Rats-with-Teddy-Bears-14.jpg
34 KB, 605x465
>>2005503
OK onii Chan
>>
The nicest pet I've ever had was a female rat. She mostly liked exploring, but she would always come to me and try to groom me.
>>
>>2004920
Get GRIDS, degenerate.
>>
File: 1446573443863.jpg (99 KB, 934x550) Image search: [Google]
1446573443863.jpg
99 KB, 934x550
>>2005361
>Your fucking argument solely relies on a very well composed person

Forgive me for thinking everyone should strive to be well-composed.

I hope to someday live in a world where we can run out in the street and scream faggot at the top of our lungs with nobody giving the remotest fuck instead of one where you lose your job and become a social pariah and send your neighbors into sympathetic tears because of a few fucking syllables.
>>
>>2004400
>>2004455
>Replies to self, forgets to drop tripcode.
>>
>>2004087
ANYWAY, to get the tread back on topic, yes rats can be extremely affectionate, on a similar level to dogs I'd say. Its all down to the individual and how you raise them, but generally they are smart, emotionally complex social little animals. They will happily cuddle and play with you, and will actively seek out your attention. The only down side to them is that they don't live long and suffer from a variety of health problems, its hard getting so attached to an animal only for them to die within two or three years.
>>
>>2005853
I never implied that people shouldn't be composed but that people aren't.

This has to do with what is conditioned right in Western societies. It's bad to use A DEROGATIVE WORD because it's supposed to be offensive. Why shouldn't they be offended? They have every right to complain when attacked verbally, to be offended. Because it effects the persons mental state, their character. Why would you discriminate and use such a word, complaining people shouldn't be offended because they should. Words mean a lot and obviously effect us significantly.

What you strive for isn't bad but it's the opposite for what your striving for, it isn't making a offendless society, but encouraging it. You can't change people for who they are and you honestly can't blame them. Like I said, words do hurt.
>>
>>2005863
>encouraging a offended society
2manymistakes
>>
>>2004471
>>2004459
Guinea pigs are cool, you really need a garden for them to be happy though like rabbits. They aren't apartment pets really. They're also really, really dumb and not social at all. The best you can expect from a guinea pig is for it to tolerate you, most of the one's I've met hated being handled. They are really cute though and make adorable noises. You might want to consider a chinchilla, I hear those guys are pretty social and interactive.
>>
>>2005865
>The best you can expect from a guinea pig is for it to tolerate you.
Naw man that's not my impression at all. They're pretty stupid, but the one I had recognized me from other people, would only come when I called and wouldn't make happy noises unless I was the one petting him. My little sister has one now that's super friendly and loves petting too. He lets you scratch him under the chin and around the face while he flattens out like a pancake and oinks.

Rats are way smarter and friendlier though.
>>
>>2004459
A lot of people will probably shit-talk guinea pigs on here, but I prefer them because they are much cuter than rats, and grow to be large, cuddly loaves that radiate heat. They do, however, need A LOT of space and companionship. They also shed as much as a dog might.
>>
File: fucking-love-milk.gif (2 MB, 424x240) Image search: [Google]
fucking-love-milk.gif
2 MB, 424x240
>>2004944
Agree. As another big homo.

inb4 'weeeh its a meanie word, obviously you grew up liberal where no one said it to you as a slur'

my father died hating the fact that I was gay and calling me a damn queer, I still don't throw a tantrum on the internet over the word 'fag.'

Learn context, if someone is in the deep south screaming 'faggot' out the window of their run-down pick up truck while trying to run you down, yeah, be offended and upset.

If someone just says 'fag' on a fucking internet board to mean 'acting like a whiny dumbfuck' - then get the fuck over it.

Go back to Tumblr and cry about how no one respects your undercut hair style and special pronouns.

---

Anyway, rats are cool as fuck OP. I have a friend who has a few rats and they all seem to have different personalities. Some of them like to cuddle and play, others are just more curious about their surroundings.

I would get one if I had the space for a decent cage.
>>
>>2004087
My rats don't like me, but then again I am pretty unlikeable.
>>
File: 1404243165578.jpg (81 KB, 651x489) Image search: [Google]
1404243165578.jpg
81 KB, 651x489
>>2006636
>>2004944
Why do you legit homos even argue with that guy? He is literally pic related.
>>
>>2004087
OP, I'm a rat owner. The first rat I ever owned would see me and nose himself right up to the cage. I'd open it, extend my arm, and he'd crawl right up it onto my shoulder, nuzzle up in my lap, and fall asleep.

I don't know if rats can feel love truly or not, but that felt a helluva lot like love to me. Herman was the best rat I ever had, may he rest in peace. and he really seemed to want to be with me, regardless of the attention he got from his cagemates.

Rats are smart, and rats can feel. I really think they are capable of loving their humans. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I'd like to believe.

Pic related, it's my dapper, late Herman. Love you, buddy. You're the first rat I ever loved, and the best rat I ever had.
>>
>>2004087
Does biting usually signify aggression, or is it something else? I've had my boy for 5 weeks, and he sometimes nips my fingers or toes. He's super chill otherwise.
>>
>>2007775
not sure how you could mistake nipping for aggression
>>
>>2007783
Humor the noob, if you'd be so kind. Is it misplaced allogrooming or something or does he just like the taste of human flesh
>>
>>2007784
I'm guessing you haven't been properly bit if you aren't sure :) I think it's mostly a way for them to figure out what you are. He'll probably still be confused by your feet and nip them occasionally- it seems they have a hard time understanding that feet are part of you.

You'll know if he bites you for real, but even then almost all rat bites are defensive.
>>
>>2007799
Huh, okay. He seems to really enjoy being down by my feet, maybe the stank pleases him.

I've just been picking him up and moving him when he bites. He's not gentle about it, it hurts like fuck.
>>
>>2007802
oh, I'm guessing he doesn't like getting picked up because he shouldn't be biting you hard. avoid picking him up until he trusts you more and it should stop. scold him when he does it, he's just not properly socialized yet.

he has a buddy right?
>>
>>2007723
That's a lovely pic. How did you get so close with the camera without him getting up in your face? Mine won't sit still when I try to get good pics of them chilling in the hammock. They want to inspect the camera and everything always ends up blurry as a result.
>>
>>2007775
Some rats never learn not to nibble on toes. You can't do much else but try to make him understand the feet are a part of you and not for biting - i usually make a small squeak and jerk my feet away when it happens, then the rat realizes they are alive and not nesting material or food.

If you're unsure whether he's aggressive or not, he's probably just doing it out of curiosity. Like the other anon mentioned, rat bites towards humans are usually defensive and and the rat will be clearly frightened.

If he bites your fingers hard, it's a real problem.
>>
File: 1426478570354.jpg (46 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1426478570354.jpg
46 KB, 450x300
How the fuck did a SJW get in a rat thread? Somebody gas these people please.
>>
>>2004400
listen here furry boco, get the fuck outta here, your not welcome
>>
File: manicure.jpg (13 KB, 235x175) Image search: [Google]
manicure.jpg
13 KB, 235x175
>>2007723

this is slightly unsettling
>>
>>2004087
Rats are very affectionate when taken care of well enough. They love attention, petting and playing. I suggest doing some research or asking in the Rat General thread for info on what you need for happy and healthy rats.

>>2004405 >>2004455 >>2005856 >>2008517 >>2005856
bugguy S0xZFbp/pY is a parody of bugguy !S0xZFbp/pY (the real one who we know and love)

>>2004433
good GET
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.