[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dog/ - Dog General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64
File: IMG_0550.png (1 MB, 1200x971) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0550.png
1 MB, 1200x971
Ask dog questions that don't deserve their own threads here.

Dog Kibble and Wet food ingredients/nutrition guide:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Dog breeds:
http://www.justdogbreeds.com/all-dog-breeds.html

Previous thread:
>>1995859
>>
>>2003654
Repostin'

>>2003526
She might not be getting the nutrition she needs. What kind of food are you giving her?

>>2000153
Experienced breeders have bred them for there loving temperament over the past century. Since they're retrievers, it's necessary for them to be very family friendly. That's what makes them extremely able to be tamed.

>>1999590
My cat is like this as well. Because my puppy is so high strung, I pick her up sometimes and slowly carry her over to my cat and let her sniff her. Face to face doesn't work most tiems, so I've been letting her sniff her butt. My cat has been tolerating her a lot more recently and I think you should try this.

>>1999422
It could develop into a hostile behaviour when she's older. Tug of war should be fine because she know's she's playing, but if she is directing her growls at you when you take it away, then it needs to be dealt with.

>>1999344
Teach him to stay and other basic commands. Once he's more well behaved and can pull off a good stay, seclude him in a puppy proofed room (no cords or anything to chew on in reach) when you're gone.

>>1999082
Wheatens are very nice soft wire hairs. They're a terrier so they have a lot of energy. Co-worker got one and he's an absolute doll.
>>
>>2003655
and reposting again

>>2003113
>purina super coat for puppies

>Meat & meat by-products (from chicken, beef and/or lamb) and/or poultry by-products
That's quite vague. Why didn't they just mention what's in it? By-products are NOT good.

>fish and fish by-products
Same thing with above

>wholegrain cereals (wheat and/or sorghum); cereal by-products and/or vegetable proteins;
Third item on the list and they've already gone to shit. Again with the by-products and wtf is 'vegetable protiens'. The reason vegetables are in there is to give your puppy a balanced diet with proper vitamins. Not just fucking protein.

>other cereals; minerals and vitamins (including, sodium chloride and/or calcium carbonate and/or potassium chloride and/or choline chloride; vitamin E, zinc sulphate, ferrous sulphate, niacin, copper sulphate, manganous oxide, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin A, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, potassium iodide, vitamin D3, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, vitamin B12); beet pulp; garlic, rosemary plant extract.

The first five ingredients should be specified for meat and vegetables. You don't want "cereals" and "by-products" in there. That could just be some horrible animal they scraped off the side of the road. You want to know what's going into your dog.
Also, imo I don't think you should look for food that has labelled "for coats" because if it was a good brand, all of its foods should be aimed for health. And that's the best way to see how healthy your pup is, by how healthy their coat is.

I recommend these brands:
Acana
Origin
Blue buffalo
Back to basics

You can also look at this website here.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best-puppy-foods/best-dry-puppy-foods-5-star/
>>
File: Marleaux b&w.jpg (31 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Marleaux b&w.jpg
31 KB, 720x480
Maybe someone can give me some insight on this.

My 6 year old AmStaff stopped eating and drinking. Took her into our vet and they couldn't diagnose anything, said it may be a stomach bacteria, gave us some antibiotics. After a couple of days of that, she started vomiting. Took her in again, and they though they saw a mass in her intestines. An exploratory surgery later, no mass, but a couple of enlarged lymph nodes. Nodes are out for analysis, waiting on results.

What is going on with my dog /an/? It's killing me that shes like this. Anything else my vet should be looking at? Her only symptoms now are:

Black, all liquid bowel movement
Lethargy
Not eating
Drinking some water

Pic related - its my child.
>>
>>2003777
Don't quote me on this, but I believe black coloured stool (solid or otherwise) can be a sign of internal bleeding.
>>
>>2003777
>mass seen on x Ray
>no mass found

My dog ate sand a few weeks ago. There was a mass inside of him that changed shape and looked "mineral-y" according to the vet. Perhaps it's something like that? Get that dog back to the vet and get it on an IV to keep it hydrated at least
>>
>>2003777
the enlarged lymph nodes imply some kind of infection.. black stools do indeed imply internal bleeding. I wish I could tell you more. Your vet needs to do a full blood panel.
>>
>>2003655
>It could develop into a hostile behaviour when she's older. Tug of war should be fine because she know's she's playing, but if she is directing her growls at you when you take it away, then it needs to be dealt with.
She doesn't growl everytime I take it away, she only does it if I take it and taunt her with it to keep playing, and she doesn't manage to get it. Like a sore loser.
How do I get her to stop growling when she's happy/excited then?
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
Please help name my new Chihuahua puppy.

It's a girl
>>
>>2003932
Looks cute when a puppy and asleep.
Too bad it'll grow up to be a chihuahua.
>>
>>2003932
Name it Ralph
>>
When should I stop feeding my 3 month old puppy 4 times a day? Last couple of days she doesn't seem as keen to eat her food every time unless I hand feed her it.

She's a small terrier.
>>
>>2003953
You can cut down now, and definitely don't start trying to change how you feed her just to get her to eat because soon she learns that she can expect that every time. Sounds like you might be over feeding and she simply doesn't need that much, just leave it down for twenty minutes and take back what she doesn't eat. Feel luck to have a puppy who self-regulates, because most of the time owners have no clue that they're over feeding and that's why a majority of dogs these days are overweight.
>>
9 days in after buying an 8 week-old Border Collie pup.

The "regret" stage passed about 5 days ago.
Installed gate to keep her in the living room/hallway area (which is huge but fully visible) since she kept trying to explore the house which is still mostly not-puppified.

Going pretty good. She likes to sleep on my neck. Pretty uncomfortable.

Wish these next few weeks could just fly by so I could take her on walks and play outside and shit. Still have to wait for the rest of her vaccines.

Any tips for foot nipping/herding behavior?
>>
I may need to rehome my dog or put it in a rescue/rehabilitation. I wanted some suggestions before I make any big moves though.
I own two dogs, a 4 year old female pit mix and a 2 year old male akita mix. For the first year of the Akita's life, no problems. But he went into adulthood he became seriously resource possessive against dogs. He's never been aggressive with humans.
He can share toys and even bones but there is a 15 second window between hackles up and lunging at my other dog if he manages to find something else. My ex was a slob so I've broken up several fights because of garbage he left in their reach. Now that he's out of the house I keep it very clean but I still find myself catching him just before an escalation over stupid shit like guarding the trash can (which I've had to hide) or snatching something off the counter like a wrapper.
I'm tired of living in fear of him fighting my other dog. I would have let my ex take him but he started neglecting the dogs after our break up and I didn't want him abandoning my akita after going our separate ways. I talked to the vet and they didn't offer me much other than a pamphlet full of shit I already knew like feeding in separate rooms.
Do you guys have any training tips to curb this bullshit? I would really rather not rehome him.
>>
>>2004285
It shouldn't be much trouble to rehome an Akita since it looks like the memedog.
>>
>tfw your puppy can hold it for hours at home but gets so excited in other places she just has to go out every hour.
>>
>>2004154
I taught my collie 'leave it' from a kikopup vid, it works about 40% of the time for the ankle nipping and cuff biting! but she's started to do it while walking! specifically when crossing the road it's very dangerous and she won't stop until I plant my feet and ignore her! which isn't an option in the middle of a road, so I just drag her to the kerb and wait too she stops! it's doing my head in too.
>>
Going to the vet in the morning. I just woke my collie pup and she had a gigantic drool patch, then there was a gooey drool hanging from her mouth like a mastiff. I took her downstairs so I could eat and she did one solid shit, about ten minutes later she did a massive puddle of dark brown liquid shit. Should I be worried? She's fully vaccinated, but on her walk this evening and at puppy class she was whining a bit and eating shit off the floor. I'm not gunna feed her again for a while, just small portions of room temp water.
Any other advice?
Things that were unusual today:
> some bacon scraps on her lunch
> mild cheddar instead of mature for treats
> wore collar for first time in two weeks usually has harness
> excessive drool for the last hour
> went somewhere with rabbit droppings she could have eaten
>didn't sleep much
>>
>>2004667
No vets here, man. Just wait for your vet appointment and see. Just stay with her in the meantime.
>>
should i get a second dog next to my current one?
i think they would have a good influence on each other, playtime wise.
also, my current one is a sire, so i would probably go with a fixed female as a second one, so there would be a higher probabilty of them getting along
>>
>>2004667
Take her to the vet. None of those things would cause what you described. This sounds like a digestive issue that could range anywhere from parasites to an obstruction. If you can't get her to the vet today you need to keep her hydrated tonight and get her asap to the vet tomorrow. Buy unflavored pedialyte and if you have a syringe, squirt it in her mouth.
>>
File: Foto1950.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Foto1950.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
What species is my dog /an/ this is a picture of him when he was younger he's 12 year old and i wonder how much life he has left
He has no hair on his tail as of now though there's a little bit left but he chewed off most of it he had some sort of disease 2 years ago he recovered well though
>>
>>2004716
Aussie, border collie, kelpie, whatever herding breed mix of great Britain/australia.
>>
>>2004716
a beautiful one
>>
>>2004735
Care to be more specific?
Also what is life expentacy
>>
>>2004716

species oldus doggus soondedus, genus snek, family juniperoo
>>
>>2004747

sorry, also known in some parts of the world as brown recluse
>>
>>2004747
Is my dog species extinct?
>>
File: 1362083347449.gif (708 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
1362083347449.gif
708 KB, 260x146
>>2004754

will be soon
>>
>>2004755
Given his age thats true
>>
>>2004679
More the merrier as long as you got money and space
>>
>>2004714
She seems to be right as rain now? Puked once more, pissed the floor, slept and then just started running around chewing shit as usual? It was like a two hour purge, not feeding her still, loads of water tho.
>>
>>2004716
Looks like a tricolour border collie, or a border collie cross huntaway. Should live to fifteen or so.
>>
How are your dogs enjoying winter lads
>>
>>2003658
Hey dude, i was the anon you were replying to. I'm looking to buy one of the brands that you recommended, but would the shitty kibble i'm using now be the cause of my puppy not wanting to eat? He eats treats and literally everything else with no hesitation, but come breakfast/lunch/dinner, he won't touch his kibble, or he'll get half way then stop.
>>
>>2004976
Many "picky" dogs are actually self-regulating while their owners over-feed them. Take the bag suggestion and cut it by 1/3. Use a portion of his daily food as his training treats, or use small training treats and cut back his food to make up for the calories. Have your vet teach you how to feel for proper body condition so you can tell when to increase and decrease his food.
>>
>>2004975
We're 5 days from the start of summer, right now. They've blown their undercoats but they're still hot.
>>
>>2004975

Your dogs face looks almost identical to mine, but mines got a slightly bigger face. What breed is it?
>>
>>2005041
Okay will do, thanks for the info anon
>>
>>2003654
My dog has had this gash on his hind foot for about 2 months, it hasn't gone away no matter what I've tried. Going to the vet is not an option.

He can walk and run fine and it doesn't seem to cause any discomfort unless I step or press it somehow. However it's bothering me that is just isn't disappearing.

I figure he licks it when I'm not around to watch him. I initially bandaged it up, he kept taking the bandages off though and I stopped after less than a week because several "dog people" I know told me you're not supposed to do that with open wounds on dogs. Then I used a ointment that had neomycin in it and that did exactly crap, he loved to eat it though. I've recently started spraying it 3 times a day with an anti septic spray (morning, before I leave for uni and before I go to sleep) and gentian violet 2 times a day (morning and night).

The gash is about 2 inches long and an inch wide, not very deep at all, looks like someone ripped the skin off really, and looks like it has a wet sheen over it (nothing too slimy and no puss). As previously mentioned it seems to only cause discomfort when pressure is put on it.

What do?
>>
What does it mean when a dog is all excited when you get home?

Outdated training methods (such as cesar millan) would say that this behaviour, which is often mistaken by humans as excitement to see the owner, is actually the dog having a lack of exercise, or the dog is acting hyper because it's exercising dominance over you etc.

What would modern dog psychology and training say about this behaviour? That the dog is genuinely excited to see it's owner?
>>
>>2005087
I dunno about no science, but my dog is definitely happy to see me. Even if I go upstairs for a piss and she doesn't notice, I get a full body wag and kisses.
Also relevant, what is it with ears? I'm the type of dude to roll around on the floor with dogs, many dogs, anyone's dogs. And the one thing I've noticed is a nice dog will always lick and snuffle my ears? Is this 'pack' behaviour or are my ears just delicious?
>>
>>2005052
Pomeranian/Dachshund
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-26-08-47-21.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-26-08-47-21.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
Birthday bump, my dog turned 7 yesterday. I'll make sure she gets some ham today.
>>
>>2005242
I disagree
>>
>>2005247
He is
>>
What elbow/hip certs should I ask to see from a labrador breeder?
>>
>>2005289
http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/brdreqs.html?breed=LR
>>
File: 1437999689661.jpg (27 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
1437999689661.jpg
27 KB, 500x335
We're putting my 15 year old dog to sleep tomorrow.
She has trouble standing with her hind legs, her hearing has gone to shit, and she seems distant.
We're gonna put her down before it escalates further.

Why must it hurt so much? ;_;
>>
>>2004975
Absolutely fantastic lads!
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>2005295
I know friend. I know all too well. It's a terrible thing, and I'm sorry that it's come time. She lived a long time though, and at least she's not going to get really sick and suffer bad. Sorry man :[
>>
File: Color-BrownPinkDots_MED.jpg (99 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Color-BrownPinkDots_MED.jpg
99 KB, 500x500
Do you use Martingale collars (also called training collars)?
>>
>>2005087
Of course they're excited to see you.

>>2005215
not just you, my dog loves to lick ears too. i hate it. its like a huge wet willy
>>
>>2005245
happy birthday! your dog is called Rocha, correct?
>>
File: 20151126_112038.jpg (980 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
20151126_112038.jpg
980 KB, 2240x1344
>>2004975
She is dealing pretty well.
Live in California and the part I live in winters aren't too bad.

Pic is of her from this morning.
Boxer/Pit mix.
>>
However, the introduction of canine parvovirus by a visitor's illegal dog to the wolf population led to steep declines
>>
So my parents brought home a two year old English bulldog, and our two year old Shih Tzu who's normally friendly with other dogs keeps barking at it.
I'm guessing it's scared of it or something because it's never done something like this before. What would be a good way about going with trying to get him to stop barking at him?
>>
>>2005622
Martingale collars aren't really meant to be used as training collars, more for dogs who are prone to slipping their collars. That's why you often see them on greyhounds and bully breeds, both have thick necks that can make it easier to slip out of traditional collars.
>>
File: IMG_20150923_123738999_TOP.jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150923_123738999_TOP.jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
How do I prevent doggie carsickness? We took our puppy, 8.5 months old, for an hour and a half drive to family's house and she vomited, was drooling and farted a lot. We've taken longer trips before without issue. Not sure what was so different this time.

Pic related, my dog.
>>
>>2005655
Probably was just feeling ill that day.
>>
>>2005655

Was she completely fine before and after?

When was she last fed?

Was the car hot or cold?

Farting is not really a car sickness thing as far as I know...
>>
>>2005658
Yes

About two hours before

A bit cold, we cracked the windows after noticing the drooling
>>
>>2003654
So tomorrow my roommate is bring his sisters dog to live with us. I'm use to owning as a puppy and this dog has one major issue. He strictly uses pads. What can I do to get this dog off of pads or is hope lost. My roommate could care less but I'm sure as hell am not.
>>
File: WP_20151018_16_21_46_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151018_16_21_46_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
>>2005655
just keep taking it out in the car, the more you do it the more they get use to it, my two friends had problems with their dogs, after a few months they were fine. just always take a bag and gloves and a little cleaning fluid just incase.

these are my two bitches.
>>
>>2005633
I really want to believe they're excited to see us, but humans have a tendency to project human emotions to animals so what we believe is excitement COULD be something else.
>>
File: WP_20151008_20_51_23_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151008_20_51_23_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
>>2005720
They are. I've done a few things such as; They know when it's my car pulling into the drive because of the sound, but I sent my friend into the house first, (who they only ever see maybe once a month), they are scared and go get in their basket, he closes the door and they sit their looking worried. I walk in a minute later, they are wagging their tails so hard their entire body just shakes, same as always. Dogs do love you, like part of their family.
There are stories, true stories of dogs sitting by dead bodies, and then by a persons grave for years. Yeah they might eat you if you are dead and they are locked in a house with your dead body. But the just want to be with you and do things with you. Every time i go down staires one the black one always gets a toy and the ginger/white one's running around like a twat thinking I'm going to take them out and play, when i'm really just getting a coffee. I feel bad sometimes, i neglect them. They are usualy sat near the door waiting for mum or dad to come home, just some company.
They do love you and it's the only thing they know. May be purely selfish because you feed them, but that's all your parents do to you.
>>
File: WP_20150930_11_42_46_Pro.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150930_11_42_46_Pro.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>
How do I deal with separation anxiety in an elderly dog? I'm house sitting for my parents and their ~12 year old Shih Tzu goes into a panic every time I am not in the same room as him. My dog grew up with him and his in the house for company but if I leave them in a room alone the Shih Tzu makes the most awful crying whining begging noises and I can't stand it. But I can't watch him 24/7, he's gone blind and practically incontinent so I can't leave the entire house open and I need to do things in different areas of the house without having to spend twenty minutes guiding him around corners or picking him up constantly to move him to wherever I am. The noises he makes can't be blocked out and it's really sad and makes me feel guilty, but I can't even take a bath or a shower without him crying. I put him in the bathroom with me after he kept crying but he just made these soft whines like he's confused and wants out of the bathroom. The fuck do I do to get him to calm down and shut up?
>>
>>2005678
Move the pads outside and walk it there every hour?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-27-09-01-20.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-27-09-01-20.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>2005634
Yeah, Ruca. Thank you. She was extra spoiled this year, I had thanksgiving at my place. Not only did she get that ham but about 12 kids played with her all day.
>>
>>2004285
>I'm tired of living in fear of him fighting my other dog

IKTF

I've got two dogs, they are brothers so both are 1yo

Since i own them they've had 2 serious fights in which they get hurt(like bleeding hurt) and both of the fights have been over a 'prey', first one was over a small bird and second was over a rat.

Really they have no problem when i try to grab the animal from their mouth however when the other dog gets near it all hell break loose. It really only happens with 'live' things, they have no problem eating from the same bowl(they have separate bowls, it's just that sometimes they like to eat from the same one for whatever reason then moving to the other, i don't encourage this and whenever they do i scold them and return them to their respective bowl) or with bones.

So are my only options cutting their nuts or re-homing one of them?
The latter would break my heart :(
>>
Advice for a young puppy that gets excessively nippy?

I try my best to distract her with toys and stay calm when she's trying her best to get my feet and legs but it takes impractically long for her to settle on chomping up a toy instead of me, and when I sit with my hands and legs up she'll try jumping up and barking. She's also got a crate she's comfortable with but I don't want to use it as punishment.

Wat do?

Also I just gave her an ice cube and she seems to love mouthing it and lies down with it, might that be something to keeo her happy?
>>
>>2006432

Aleo, she's not finished her jabs yet so I can't walk her to burn off energy yet, and I have started obedience, but she's a force unto her own when excited.
>>
>>2006433
also*

Sorry for the typos, on my phone and impatient.
>>
File: airedale-terrier4.jpg (168 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
airedale-terrier4.jpg
168 KB, 1024x683
Possible dumb question but do dogs smell worse when they're puppies than when they're older?

Airedale terriers are supposedly not meant to smell much but our puppy smells really bad sometimes, but not all the time.

My dad and I can put up with it but my mum constantly complains about it.

Even like, 3-4 days after giving him a bath he gets the smell
>>
>>2006453
Also, we took him to the vet and mentioned it and the vet didn't tell us much
>>
>>2006453

Puppies generally have more smell than adult ones in my experience. I'd imagine it's to do with all the body development, playtime and lazing around that they do. It's probably not bad to wash them if you get sick of it being particularly bad, so long as you're not regularly shampooing or anything because it's probably not great for their hair and skin. Also, dog grooming wipes are pretty good, especially when they get mucky from outside - it's like a sponge bath and they love it.
>>
>>2006455
>because it's probably not great for their hair and skin
That's because in the olden times dog shampoo was terrible shit. With modern shampoos you can wash them much more often without problem if you rinse well.
>>
>>2006460
Interesting. Not the anon you're replying to, but I just bought an anti-dryness, anti-itchiness, healthy etc. shampoo for my puppy. Since he's living indoors (therefore needs to be more clean), would it be harmful for me to bathe him every week/fornight or even every other day?
>>
>>2006261
Neutering doesn't fix poor training.
>>
>>2006432
You can walk her and socialize her as long as she's had her first series. As for the nipping, give a high-pitched "ow!" like you're yelping in pain and withdraw from play. Praise heavily if she then chooses to pick up her toy. If she continues to go after you then silently put her in timeout in a bathroom for 30 sec, only let her out when she's calm and listening to commands.
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 1500x1500
>>2006462
It depends on the ingredients, can you post it?

The shampoo I recommend the most is Earthbath's Hypoallergenic formula, you can use that daily if you need to.

>>2006453
Can you describe the smell? What is your dog's daily routine?
>>
File: droggo.jpg (132 KB, 605x720) Image search: [Google]
droggo.jpg
132 KB, 605x720
>>2006484
>Can you describe the smell? What is your dog's daily routine?
I don't know how to explain it. It's a typical dog smell I guess but just extremely strong at some times. It doesn't seem to come from one certain spot (mouth or paws for example) but the skin itself.

Dogs daily routine is pretty much wake up at 6, have milk, play around a bit and eat at 9-9:30, play around or whatever. Sleep around 11-12 for about an hour. food at 1, either goes back to sleep for a couple hours or plays around, dinner at 6, take him for a walk, play around or sleep, milk at 9, sleep

If it helps, he's on a raw food diet (barf diet or whatever you'd call it.) , but the vet told us that might not be the cause of the smell
>>
>>2006488
You might try cutting out the veggies and going prey model for a while, see if it's just a case of yeast overgrowth. What is the milk you are giving him? Healthy weened dogs have no real need for milk.
>>
>>2006492
Full cream milk.

My parent's are going off what the breeders suggested we feed him
>>
>>2006478
Could you point me then to a book or something that could help then?

I tried training them but i didn't get too far, just the basics like 'sit, come, the paw, get in your house'
And they used to chew a lot of stuff so i got them to only play with their toys and leave other things alone

The problem is just as i said with live 'preys' so i can't emulate it, without buying little animals for them to kill that is.
>>
>>2006497
If you have a hundred bucks to spare, you can consult a qualified trainer to solve this issue with you.

It's such a specific problem, and the individual dynamic is unique, so there really isn't a textbook method for making them not fight over prey.

It really needs someone with an extensive experience to take a look.
>>
When should you begin training with a puppy you brought home?

I feel like it will take her a couple of days to adjust to a new home and not having her mother and siblings near her.
>>
>>2006577
How old is your pup?
In general, I suggest positive training only for a while (depending on several factors). Do not punish your dog for negative behavior yet, focus on preventing bad behavior and bonding. This time should be used to form a relationship.
>>
>>2005720
Well think of it like this. We are the whole world to our dogs. They don't have the option of hanging out with their friends, or going to work and stuff. They're probably so bored when we aren't there. It might not be "missing you" in loving way, but something like they recognize you as a source of affection, food and entertainment and the prospect of that excites them.

I prefer to think they just love us and get sad when we leave and happy when we return
>>
>>2006577
Good idea on waiting a few days. I did start potty training right away because that was my biggest concern in raising a puppy. Apart from that we just spent the first few days getting to know each other and letting him explore the house
>>
File: untitled.jpg (128 KB, 1278x480) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
128 KB, 1278x480
>>2006558
I'll look into it

I really don't want to get rid of one of these guys, i tried giving away one when they were younger but both of them didn't stop crying for two days so i got them back together. Perhaps i was a bit sentimental and should've let them cry until they got used to being alone, i don't know.
>>
>>2006579
8 weeks when I get her
>>
>>2006488
What breed is this dog?

Also, does anyone have a Cairn Terrier? I am looking into getting a puppy.
>>
>>2006591
Eight weeks is too young to be away from mom.
Are you buying this pup?
>>
>>2006626
>Eight weeks is too young

wat
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Just showing my family's two dogs, Daisy and Blu. Daisy is deaf, and Blu is a goof ball.
>>
>>2006702
Pups under 12 weeks will need a lot of work on your part, especially on socialization.
>>
>>2006589
Ideally you would not have gotten two puppies at the same time, or taken care to train them separately to avoid littermate syndrome, but good on you finding a trainer to rectify the situation. You live and you learn.
>>
>>2006702
8 weeks is the legal minimum, but bringing home a puppy that early means they miss out on important lessons they learn from their mom and littermates, lessons that include: reading dog body language, bite inhibition, and dog social cues.

That's why reputable breeders keep puppies until 10-14 weeks, they want to give the puppies the best possible start in life. If a breeder is cutting corners on this it's likely they are cutting corners in other regards, in ways that can negatively affect the puppies they produce. I would recommend dropping this breeder and going for someone who cares utmost about good health and temperament.
>>
File: samoyed.jpg (37 KB, 430x450) Image search: [Google]
samoyed.jpg
37 KB, 430x450
Is it inhumane to adopt a Samoyed when you live someone as close to the equator as Louisiana?
I really want one but I don't know if it will overheat under all that fur in the summer
>>
>>2006733
>breeder is cutting corners if they don't keep the puppy for 14 weeks

Nobody does this.
>>
>>2006824
Lots of people do that. Good breeders care about the pups they produce, and want them to have the best start possible.
>>
>>2006826
There is absolutely no literature advocating for puppy staying with its mother for longer than 9 weeks, especially for large breeds.
>>
>>2006817
The double coat actually helps the dog from overheating! You'll definitely have to limit exercise in super hot weather though.
>>
File: snow.jpg (252 KB, 734x978) Image search: [Google]
snow.jpg
252 KB, 734x978
>>2004975
We had our first snowfall last weekend, it only lasted about three or four days before melting but we got a good amount

It was our puppy's first experience with snow, I think she thought she died and went to pupper heaven, she was having the time of her life
>>
>>2006839
>http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/puppy_behavior_basics.html

Puppies are usually weaned at six to seven weeks, but are still learning important skills as their mother gradually leaves them for longer periods of time. Ideally, puppies should stay with their littermates (or other "role-model" dogs) for at least 12 weeks.
Puppies separated from their littermates too early often fail to develop appropriate "social skills," such as learning how to send and receive signals, what an "inhibited bite" (acceptable mouthing pressure) means, how far to go in play-wrestling, and so forth.
Play is important for puppies because it increases their physical coordination, social skills, and learning limits. By interacting with their mother and littermates, puppies explore the ranking process ("who's in charge") and also learn "how to be a dog."
>>
>>2006858
Puppies frolicking in snow is the cutest shit ever. I absolutely despise snow but I'm excited just for my dog to play in it
>>
>>2006726
At first i got only one then at the next day a friend asked me to get one for him so i did but at the end he backed off and decided he didn't want it anymore and the man that gave me both dogs wouldn't take it back.

Not even 2 days passed when i tried giving one to a neighbor and as i said they cried day and night so we decided to get them back together, at the time i was clueless about the problems of raising two male dogs together since we previously had 2 (male) dogs and they got along and never fought over anything, now i know it was because one was introduced as a puppy and the other one had seniority(?) on the house.

Problems didn't start until they both hit 6 months old or so when the first fight happened and the second one a couple of days ago. Before that i thought i did a good job training them since they never fought over food, toys or bones but i guess i was wrong.
>>
>go to local humane society to adopt dog
>girl who works there and helps me with the adoption is some barely legal girl with purple hair and eye makeup like an emo 14 year old
>try to act nice so I could get the dog
>just her voice and the way she talks pisses me off
>get through the adoption
>go up front to pay
>tell one of the front office workers that the girl was not a good representation of their organization and they should consider who they hire more seriously
>they said she's a good worker, is great with the dogs, blah blah blah, passive aggressively told me to leave
>mad I gave that libertard organization money

I don't know why it's bothering me so much
>>
>>2006915
>>>/pol/
>>
>>2006484
Purina total care medicated shampoo.

Active constituents: Salycylic Acide & Triclosan
Anti-bacterial
Anti-fungal
Assists the relief of dermatoses, eczema and dry skin

Thoughts?

Your shampoo looks like better and safer though, i'll buy that instead
>>
My 15 year old beagle has a growth on his back leg. The vets need to put him under to cut it, but I'm worried about giving him anesthetic at his age. I know its better to put him under than risk the growth being something really awful, but its scary. I don't want my buddy to go just yet.
>>
My germ shep mix is scratching and chewing at his ass so much it is keeping me awake at night. Been washing him with shed-control oatmeal shampoo, no conditioner. Just bought the most expensive anti itch and moisturizing shampoo and conditioners at pet smart. Been giving him some fish oil along with meals. Is there anything else I can do?

Oh btw he has scabs on his rear.
His vet is out of town until December.
>>
File: feels.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
My dog is getting old, he's 11 turning 12 soon and even though he is a mutt both of his breed mixes only live to be about 11-13 years old
how do you guys deal with the heart break when the inevitable happens?
I've had him since i was 10 and it pains me to know my lifelong friends time is almost up
>>
>>2007058
forgot to add, we took him in when he was only 4 months old
>>
>>2006892
>>2006839
Rek'd
>>
>>2007018
Go to a different vet, in the meantime use a cone to prevent him exacerbating the problem.
>>
File: Dog Discipline.png (170 KB, 330x489) Image search: [Google]
Dog Discipline.png
170 KB, 330x489
Is she doing it rite?
>>
File: 20151129_000339.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151129_000339.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
My dog seems to have a black infection after a few months under his arm.
He continues to scratch that same spot under his arm until it starts to reveal flesh.
Even after he stops scratching it he yelps and pain, going to sleep and having nightmares.
What should I do /an/?
I'm also sorry that the image size is large, have this on mobile.
>>
File: that_s_one_fat_motherfucker.png (372 KB, 460x348) Image search: [Google]
that_s_one_fat_motherfucker.png
372 KB, 460x348
>>2004975
>What your dog is staring at
>>
>>2006967
Is it actual anesthesia or just sedation? Does your vet that you trust recommend it? Will your dog die otherwise?
>>
>>2007194
Vet. That sounds like a skin nfection.
>>
>>2007153
No, should've used one of this desu
>>
I have a puppy coming to live with me in December, and it's going to start snowing hard pretty soon where I live.

Should I train her to use a pee pad?

It's going to be difficult for her to go out and pee and poo in three feet of snow.
>>
>>2003654
My dog is a small Pinscher one, and he always does this thing where he runs to me and bites my hand.
Does it mean my dog is dead?
>>
>>2007337
Pee pads are a bad idea.
So is getting a puppy in winter in a snowy place.
>>
How many of you here brush your dog's teeth?
>>
>>2007346
Why is it a bad idea?

She can't really go out for a walk for the first month anyways due to vaccines not yet kicking in, etc.
>>
>>2007346
>>2007360
I meant, why is getting a puppy in the winter a bad idea?

I understand the objection people have to pee pads.
>>
>>2007360
Pee pads can be confusing for pups. You are encouraging to go in the house, then you suddenly want them to only go outside.

How old is this pup? It should have all its immunizations before you get it.
>>
>>2007362
9 weeks when she's scheduled to come live with me.
>>
>>2007367
That's too young to be away from mom. Are you buying from a breeder? If so, skip this one.
>>
File: 1420935392755.gif (4 MB, 270x152) Image search: [Google]
1420935392755.gif
4 MB, 270x152
I had no idea 4chan had this board
>>
File: doge can jump.webm (809 KB, 262x458) Image search: [Google]
doge can jump.webm
809 KB, 262x458
>>
File: doge with puppies.webm (3 MB, 704x394) Image search: [Google]
doge with puppies.webm
3 MB, 704x394
>>
File: duck swimming.webm (410 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
duck swimming.webm
410 KB, 400x400
>>
File: how2stair.webm (2 MB, 262x460) Image search: [Google]
how2stair.webm
2 MB, 262x460
>>
File: like a baos.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
like a baos.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>
>>2007368
Kill yourself, my man.

Fun is fun but people who don't know better will actually fall for this stupid meme.
>>
File: 1321538221154.png (136 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
1321538221154.png
136 KB, 428x510
>>2007388
>>
>>2007390
>BYB detected

reputable breeders keep the pups with the mom and littermates until they're 12-14 weeks because it gives them the best foundation for socialization. go do a bit of research if you think everyone except you is wrong

the only reason to get a pup under 12 weeks is if they're a rescue
>>
It begins.
rip dog g
>>
I'm looking for a new dog to adopt. At least 2 years old.

I've decided I don't really like the "gimme attention 24/7 or I will make you give me attention regardless of how much exercise I get" breeds. I see this a lot in Labs and Rotties.

What breeds are more independent?

The dog that I think was the closest mirror to my own personality and fit my wants in a dog was a Catahoula. Absolute bro tier dog.

I want to find a dog to keep my old lab company, but I really don't think I could stand two labs vieing for attention.
>>
>>2007400
Most reputable breeders in my country adopt the litter at around 10 weeks. Kill yourself for trying to tell people how to adopt their lovable companion.
>>
>>2007381
>>2007383
>>2007384
>>2007386
>>2007387
>>2007388
Board is pretty dead/slow compared to others, but your posts are much appreciated!
>>
Do you use clicker to train your dog?
>>
>>2007442
>mad they live in a shitty country
>>
how expensive/difficult is it to install a doggy door? can it be done on a sliding "glass" door?

I have 6 acres of fenced yard and a 7 month old husky/staffie. when the weather was warmer I would leave the back door open (the sliding glass door) enough for him to come and go as he pleased, but now that it's cold and I have the heater on I can't really do that. Any advice?
>>
I'm moving to a lake soon and I want to get a dog. So what are some breeds that love water besides labs and golden retrievers?
>>
>>2007358
My dogs on a raw diet, so it's not really necessary.
>>
>>2007360
If your puppy already has its first round of shots it's okay to go out.
>>
>>2007621
Spaniels and pointers, you'll find all kinds of hunting breeds love water, they're mostly bird retrievers. Border collies are crazy about water too, I've know Irish setters that love a swim.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 340x368) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 340x368
>>2007621
Poodles love water, standards are particularly athletic. You don't have to keep them in the typical poodle cut if you don't like it.
>>
>>2007549
Yeah, I haven't noticed any difference from just using "good/clever" as a marker, but I suppose as her training gets more technical I can click when she's in perfect positions etc, and also won't be distracting her with my own voice maybe?
Anyone use whistles? I got a dog whistle with a thread in it to adjust the pitch, but have no idea what adjustments I'm making, never used it on my dog because of my obvious lack of knowledge but keep it on me for emergencies if my pupp gets attacked or the po po try Sikkin dogs on me.
>>
>>2007599
>Doesn't know what country i'm talking about
>Calls it shit anyways
You're trying way too hard it's pathetic. Kill yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 1024x683
All I see on this board is people acting like they're Jesus for adopting a strangers old dog. Wtf. Has anyone had any bad experiences getting a dog from a shelter/pound? Seems like a dangerous and ridiculous scenario.
>>
>>2007672
this has got to be bait
>>
>>2007675
Deadly serious mate. Blows my mind people would get an old dog from unknown background.
>>
>>2007675
It costs near enough as much as buying one from a breeder, why not just get the dog you want!? So you can act like some sort of martyr and tell people you 'rescued' it like you literally walked into a burning building and carried it out or what? Too lazy to train a puppy? Like social dropouts inspecting your house because they have a magical criteria that makes you a dog owner or not?
>>
>>2007683

>not sure if serious

>costs the getting from a breeder

Wtf are you on??
>>
>>2007680
so.. you're saying peopl should only ever get puppies from breeders? that's ridiculous for a lot of reasons m8
>implying rescues don't have puppies

getting a dog from a shelter is perfectly fine if you bother spending a day researching the one you're going to, which shouldn't be a problem considering you should research any place you would be receiving an animal from, breeder or otherwise.

>>2007683
>thinking breeders charge the same as rescues
maybe if you're going to a shitty Craigslist BYB. for someone bitching about "wanting to know a dog's history", you sure are ignoring that BYB purebreds are even more of a gamble

>what are breed specific rescues
>implying more than a small minority of rescues/shelters do home visits
>hurr you're an asshole for not wanting a puppy
this has to be bait, holy shit
>>
>>2007687
I enquired to a dog shelter in the uk about rehoming any dog under a year, they told me it would cost anywhere between £200-700 that's breeder ball park. I now have a dog, from a reputable breeder that was £500 all flead, wormed and immune, ownership papers and records.
>>
>>2007695
I didn't say people shouldn't adopt dogs, just wondered what possesses them to, is it cuz it's cheaper then?
>>
Why does my dog stare at me as I am sitting on my desk?
>>
>>2007731
He's wondering why you always fap to trap porn on /b/
>>
>>2007701
cheaper, people like knowing they're caring for a dog that would otherwise be euthanized or put through rehoming roulette on CL, and it's a good way to get an adult dog. unless you're really dead set on a specific and hard to find breed (most people aren't) then there really isn't a reason not to
>>
>>2007388

>this vid

fuckit man that dogs having the time of his life. i wouldnt even be mad
>>
>>2007765
They really should have trained the dog better before spending hundreds of dollars entering it in an obedience trial.
>>
>>2003924
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vtn8NhofOw
^this
It's important to teach them to bark on command and be quiet on command.
>>
>>2003924
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vtn8NhofOw
^this
It's important to teach them to bark on command and be quiet on command.

>>2003932
Pico!

>>2004679
I have two small dogs right now, pic related.
This is the exact reason I got my second one, the first one was very lonely and needed more socialization. They love each other very much now and are both small breeds, so they don't require much space. Anyway to answer your question, this is a very good idea if you have the space and money.

>>2004716
Bernese mountain dog, maybe mized with something by the looks of it. The colouring is spot on and the head looks to be the right shape.

>>2006453
Hey buddy, Don't bathe your puppy too often. That can lead to dry skin and a rough coat. It's not good for him. It should be done at least every 2 weeks, useless lil' ol' Fido ran through a pile of deer shit and mud.
The odor could also be from the food he's ingesting. My vet told me that a raw food diet could actually cause more problems than you'd think, and a high quality kibble would be much better. How old is he? Milk might also be the problem since there's a reason puppies are weaned off of it and adults can't ingest it.

>>2006577
IMMEDIATELY. Always immediately. Heck, my puppy came outdoor trained. and forget what >>2006579 said. Always use positive training. Dogs will not listen to you if yell or hit them. It'll just make them want to get away from you.

>>2006817
don't listen to >>2006849 because it IS a double coat, Samoyed's are very prone to hot spots.

>>2007697
No. That's BYB ball park for that retarded price.
A reputable breeder will have their puppies on for at least over a grand. Depending on the breed (the most expensive for example) it can go up to 6k. I bought my puppy with breeding rights so I could enter her in shows. She cost me 2.2k
>>
File: IMG_0570.png (704 KB, 950x633) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0570.png
704 KB, 950x633
>>2007795
forgot pic of course.
>>
>>2007276
thats a big dog
>>
So the vet told me my dog needs to get put down. While im extremely unhappy about this if thats what needs to happen thats what will happen.I konw /an/ probably isnt the best place for this but id rather put him down myself in my own yard than bring him to some sterilized vet office and strange people.

I know thats stupid, saying im going to kill my dog because its "for the best" but goddamn im not gonna let someone else kill him. hes my fuckin dog. anyway, what would you say the minimum caliber i should use to put down a large lab? is .22 magnum to small, 9mm/.45 to big?
>>
>>2007918

If you don't know what would get the job done, you're clearly not in a position to do the job. I know you probably think it'll be really noble, with you manfully shouldering your duty and squaring up to Do Right by your dog, but it probably won't be such a beautiful, sombre moment you'll tell your grandchildren about if you end up with a dog squealing and writhing and shitting everywhere because you've fucked it up. Get the vet to do a home call, take him back to the vets (it's not going to make much difference if he's already fucking been there), or at least ask someone who knows what they're doing.
>>
>>2007918
if you have to ask how to kill your dog, you're gonna fuck it up and cause a lot more misery for the both of you.

barbituates performed by a vet immediately cause the heart to stop. have the vet come over, suck up your own ego and get it done by an actual vet for the dog's own good
>>
>>2007918
A dog getting shot is not a pretty sight, especially with the post-death spasms and twitching. Get the vet to do it retard, it'll be like falling asleep for your doge so he can at least die with dignity.
>>
>>2007918
you're an absolute moron that's letting your pride get in the way of what's best for your dog. you're going to fuck up, and you're going put your dog through unneeded trauma just so you could feel like a big ole man and shoot the dog yourself? grow the fuck up. there's people at the vet trained to PTS in the most humane way possible. if you're that much of a baby about it, get a home visit for it and hold the dog while it's being done. don't do something stupid like this just because of your own pride
>>
>>2007918
So take it to a calm sterile environment with a professional, or hit it with a slug, covering yourself in blood and brain and maybe not killing him first time... Weigh it up. Use dynamite you americunt, you people never cease to baffle me.
>>
>>2007918
You should use a shotgun tbdesu
>>
Euth by firearm is pretty much instantaneous if you get the trajectory right. It is most humane for the animal, if they are upset by car rides or afraid of the vet. Not so humane for the person pulling the trigger. But that's not really the point now, is it? Yes, it is bloody and ugly but it is fast and sure. A .22 is fine. It will rattle around inside the cranium and do more damage than a larger caliber that might go in one side and out the other. Euth by chemical is not a sure thing. Some animals have an atypical reaction to either the sedative or the "pink stuff" and THAT, my friends, is truly ugly. I hunt and have farm animals that we butcher for food. My .22 does almost all of the dispatching of those animals. I put two beloved pets down this way also. One cat and one dog. Neither would have been happy about a ride in the car and neither would have tolerated a stranger coming to give an injection at home. It was the most humane thing to do. Very hard to see your beloved pet behind the sights of the rifle and pull the trigger, but it was best for the animal. Had to put down a friend's pony. .22 worked fine for him also. A larger horse, I used a .45. I always use 2 bullets. There is always some amount of twitching as the electrical impulses fade from the muscle.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1481111/
>>
>>2007918

It's not a good idea. I'm not totally opposed to home euthanasia, my dad has shot wild animals, our pets or neighbour's pets when required and I was grateful we had that option, but the difference is that he didn't have to ask fucking 4chan for advice on how to do it. When pets were on a slow decline, we always took them to the vet's anyway- shooting is quick and humane done right, but it's not a nice way to see your pet die and he only did it when an animal was in a really bad way and taking them to the vet would have unacceptably prolonged that suffering.

If you don't know what you're doing, it's very possible for you to shoot a dog in the head and see it fucking run away screaming with its lower jaw missing or the side of its skull exposed. It's possible to miss the brain entirely, hit the brain and still see the animal run off because much of the brain is surprisingly optional, or have the round ricochet around the skull and end up exiting or lodged in the dog's jaw without doing any fatal damage. You need to know what is an appropriate firearm to use, to angle it correctly, to restrain your pet, and be prepared to shoot again and not freak out when your dog is going into spasms (which are a normal part of dying and not seen in euthanasia due to the muscle relaxants).
>>
My toy breed is picky as fuck, flat out refusing to eat his kibble until pecking at it at the end of the day. He gets by on sneaking food from the cat's bowl. Wet food doesn't seem to attract his attention either. Should I cook his food in large batches instead of buying kibbles and cans? How can I do that responsibly? He's small, but gets taken on 3 half hour walks a day, with a trip to the dog park every Saturday morning. He's a pretty healthy weight for his breed too.

Also, the motherfucker never seems to sleep- I have never seen him doze off. Is he just sleeping when I do? I barely get five hours, and there's always someone in the house, and they say he doesn't sleep during the day either. Fuck is going on?
>>
>>2008006
It could be the structure of his meal times, the size of his meal, or just the fact he doesn't like it.
Toy breeds have tiny little heads and tiny stomachs, should be a specific kibble for his size, and only about a quater/half cup of food. Anything more may be intimidating him or causing him aggro when he's tryna chew it.
do you leave the bowl down all day in both the dog and cats case? Because where this is convenient it does tend to make them lazy eaters, they need to know shit I got ten minutes to eat this then nothin for another couple hours, better get it down me so I don't starve. Also cat food probably has a stronger smell so is more attractive to him.
However if you're not noticing him sleep, you may not be picking up on all his eating habits either.
>>
File: 20151129_222233.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20151129_222233.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
I got a new dog 2 days ago. All my neighbors have dogs too. My dog seems to have no interest in playing with any kind of toys or doing anything outside except standing by the fence with the dogs. I brought her over there to meet him but all she does is growl and jump. How do I get her to play or be more social? If I ignore the other dogs when they start to bark my dog starts to whine. What do?
>>
>>2008337
Expose her to other dogs as much as possible. Let them sniff. Read up on dog behavior.
>>
Identify this breed
>>
>>2008431
mongrel
>>
>>2008431
probably a Yorkie mutt or something similar
>>
We have two rooms that are separated by a gate to keep the hounds out of the study during the night. One of them keeps jumping over the gate from one of the chairs and she gets herself stuck.

Does anyone know why she might be doing this? I would hear if any of the other dogs are growling at her since the house is quiet and there's literally nothing up there for her.
>>
File: Pekoe8weeks.webm (1005 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Pekoe8weeks.webm
1005 KB, 854x480
>>2003654
I just spent about an hour figuring out WebMs.
Proud of me, /an/?
This is my puppy when I picked her up.
>>
So my wife and I have finally decided to get a dog - we have the income and my schedule perfectly allows for a break in my day only leaving the puppy alone for at most 4 hours a day. I'm a teacher so we're getting her during the break so we can use those two weeks to help her adjust.

We've got a long haired dachshund that we're interested in and the breeder so far some legit; I'm waiting on pictures with our names on a piece of paper to verify. What other steps should we take?

I should say, to assure those that may be wary, that her and I love animals deeply and are not getting one "just because".
>>
>>2008521
She looks adorably puzzled.
>>
>>2007621
Irish setter
>>
>>2008588
Okay? Did you have a question or something.
>>
>>2008588
>What other steps should we take?
>>2008647

I am calling the breeder tomorrow before I pull the trigger and I was wondering what questions to ask.

Also, would 8 days be enough to help the pup adjust before having to go back to working?
>>
>>2008588
look up the genetic health tests that should be done for them, and ask the breeder for proof of them. the pups shouldn't leave the mom until 12 weeks, and they should be fully vetted with a desexing contract if they aren't already fixed
>>
>>2008651
probably won't be too bad if you're really serious about spending time with the dog otherwise. I didn't go back to work after getting my puppy until he was about 5 months though. and 4 hours is usually too long for a puppy to hold their bladder unless they're sleeping, so be prepared for that
>>
>>2008660
I was thinking of setting up a pen in the kitchen with her crate open and on the other side so she doesn't pee where she sleeps. If I can't find someone to come and let her our during the day, that is. Think that would suffice.
>>
>>2007999
How can you stand the twitching as opposed to your pet just "falling asleep" via lethal injection? Would rather our pets die with dignity imo.
>>
File: photo copy.jpg (96 KB, 450x566) Image search: [Google]
photo copy.jpg
96 KB, 450x566
>>2008337
Cute doge, looks like a much bigger version of mine
>>
>>2008521
>8 weeks
Prepare to have the peta fuckwits give their smug unwanted input on how you and your dog are shit.

Otherwise, real cute dog man
>>
>>2008690
>tfw that one troll that insists a breeder is BYB if they let people take their puppies before they're 14 years old and on verge of death, having lived a full life with all of their extended family at the breeder's home
>>
>>2008667
That set up would be fine, try set up puppy pee pads all over the kitchen floor so he/she gets used to peeing/pooing on them.

>>2008653
>Pups shouldn't leave the mom until 12 weeks
10 weeks, actually. The last 2 weeks are critical for the new owner to socialise their pupper with everything they want him to be socialised with i.e. car rides, bathing, mowing/vacuuming, family and friends including family pets.
>>
>>2003932
El Yappo
>>
>>2005295
Just take solace in the good times you have had together, if it was easy than you wouldnt have loved her as much as you have.
>>
>>2005637
Beautiful
>>
>>2005702
Cockers?
>>
>>2006478
IT HELPS.
>>
>>2007058
Gotta be strong brother, remember the good times.
>>
H guys need dog advice.

I'd love to get a rescue dog. My predict is that I don't particularly have the time to raise a puppy due to my work hours. I work 12 hours days and have about 3 days on max a week then get a good chunk off. I realise I wouldn't be able to train a puppy correctly and give it the attention it needs when it's in that crucial first year. So instead I was thinking of getting a rescue dog from about 1 to 2 years up. I want a working dog (probably a boarder Collie x blue heeler). There is a working dogs rescue place in Queensland that has more than they know what to do with.

My main questions are if I was to get one that is already house trained ect, would I still be able to develop that bond that you wouls get from rearing a puppy? I had a hunterway x kelpie when I was growing up and he was great. Would never leave my side, could walk him off leash, great with commands ect. Was that a by product of good training and also the attachment he had to our family? Or if I showered this dog with love, affection and exercise even if he is 1 year plus would I have that chance to foster a relationship with him?

I go running almost daily, hiking ect so he would be looked after well. I have a great paying job and a good sized yard for him. I just worry that he might not be happy with me ad I wasn't there since he was a pupper.

Any advice would be great.
>>
>>2008936
Depends on the dog really. Queenslandfag here too, my first dog was some mutt, estimate at least 3 years old, and she was so loveable she'd never want to leave your side. Either she had a really harsh past and she appreciated the love we gave her, or that was just her personality.

So I reckon there's no solid answer but having a old dog that will love you and bond with you as if you raised it is definitely possible. Don't rescues here let you play with the dog before deciding if you want to adopt them?
>>
>>2008936
if you treat the dog well then it shouldn't matter, usually they're pretty loving regardless

but 12 hours is a pretty long time to leave a herding breed alone. better make sure to tell them that you would be running the dog daily
>>
Best way to move a dog cross country?

Planning to move from east to west coast US within a year and I've heard terrible stories about bringing a dog on a plane. Is ground transportation worth it?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Found this adorable guy while out on my jog this morning. No collar, so I've put up signs. He's a very sweet dog, pretty much followed me home after a few "hey buddy"s.
>>
>>2009084
You should rent an RV and make a trip of it.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2009111
Wow what the hell phone
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2009111
>>2009113
Guess we're just upside down today.
>>
File: 1448992557029-rotated.jpg (290 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1448992557029-rotated.jpg
290 KB, 1200x900
>>2009111
Rotated and resized it for you.
>>
File: 1448992741565-rotated.jpg (258 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1448992741565-rotated.jpg
258 KB, 1200x900
>>2009113
>>
File: 1448993077343-rotated.jpg (235 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1448993077343-rotated.jpg
235 KB, 900x1200
>>2009114
>>
>>2009117
>>2009116
>>2009115
Hah, thanks. Owner just came and got him. All's well that ends well, I guess. I've had a dog get out in this neighborhood before and if they're not the type to stick around finding them can be a real crapshoot. Luckily there's lots of dog people around who'll keep an eye out for you.
>>
File: 5_0000003431_1.jpg (114 KB, 940x890) Image search: [Google]
5_0000003431_1.jpg
114 KB, 940x890
I know there have been some questions about housetraining, has anyone taught a dog to use pee pads/litter when they were originally trained to go outside?

We currently live in a house with a puppy proof backyard. So our shih tzu is fully outdoor trained, waits patiently at the door, etc. But now it's going to get way too cold for her to go out, plus we're moving into a condo, so we've been trying to slowly wean her into using peepads in a litter box. However, she's just not getting it, and if we don't let her out/keep putting her in the box, she'll run and hide and poop under a table instead.

She's so smart, and picked up regular outdoor training like nothing. Was our mistake trying to introduce her to the box? Does anyone have any tips? She's only 8 months old, so I'm confident she'll learn eventually... We also just had her spayed. Is it too much change at once? Pic related, the poop feind
>>
>>2009142
training a dog to go inside like that is never a good idea. if she's so good at knowing to go outside, when you're in the condo quickly taking her out for potty walks on a schedule shouldn't be hard. don't be lazy about it

and if an unfortunate situation comes up in that you would have to rehome her for whatever reason, you would be making things very difficult for her sine no one wants a dog trained to piss inside
>>
>>2009142
Just buy her a coat and shoes if you're so worried about the cold.
Dogs live fine in apartments, too. I got a puppy here, in an apartment, she picked up housetraining right away.
>>
>>2007672
I wonder about this too. All of my dogs came to me as young dogs (no older than 16 months). All of them raised equality so we always end up with happy non-aggressive dogs that love to run outside even though they end up chocking on leash
>>
File: CP guardian.jpg (112 KB, 1024x451) Image search: [Google]
CP guardian.jpg
112 KB, 1024x451
I'm going raise guard dogs to protect some important shit off the grid. I have lots of land for them to get exercise and can afford to feed as many as necessary. Two questions:

1. What are the top-tier dogs for territory defense?

2. Are there different dog breeds that would work well together, or would it be best to keep it homogeneous if I want them to form a pack?

I've heard that males and females work well in pairs, but introducing 5 or 6 together would be different. Id want to reduce the infighting if possible.

Not trying to coddle these guys and treat them like family labradors, I need them to have a workhard no-bullshit mentality like sheepdogs.
>>
>>2003932
Taco
>>
>>2009191
>CP guardian
Oh boy
>>
>>2009191
domestic dogs forming packs is largely a myth m8

>wanting numerous dogs to fight someone off if they enter your property
>hurr they won't be treated like pets
>encouraging aggression in dogs
>thinking this won't end up with them all bring euthanized due to aggression when you loose control of them

bait/10 try harder next time
>>
>>2009200

>Guard dogs don't exist

Are you suggesting I protect my property with iguanas
>>
>>2009200
Stray dogs (still domestic) WILL form packs
>>
>>2009215
dogs don't form packs.

they form temporally groups that quickly disband.
go back to your facebook doggroup.
>>
>>2003932
Chorizo.
>>
>>2009206
I never said they don't exist, but it's a very slippery slope that can extremely easily lead to you inadvertently creating a dog that is uncontrollably aggressive towards people, even when it's not guarding something. even more so if you're dealing with multiple dogs. why the hell do you think breeds typically used by while trash to look mean as "guard dogs" are also labeled as dangerous? (pits, dobermans, rotties, etc) because the fuck up and attack people even when it isn't defending property from an intruder or otherwise

if you just mean a dog to learn to bark and stop on command, that's any dog that sees where he/she is at as home or their area. not really a "guard dog"
>>
>>2009229

>Guard dogs should be trained properly or there can be consequences

Thank you for your concern, anon. Now do you have any answers to the original questions?
>>
>>2009220
>dogs don't form packs.

Your lack of knowledge is showing again,
>>
>>2009127
You sure the owner was legit? Every time i see "dog found" signs I always wondered if people ever went to pick up a dog that wasn't their's but pretended it was.
>>
>>2009142
Congrats on potty training her dude, savour it because holy fuck it's a hard process.

Also, i know people that live in apartments and because their dogs were potty trained to go outside, they hold it in all day until they go out for walks etc. Your poop fiend will probably be the same imo.
>>
>>2009231
except you're not asking for a guard dog, you're asking for one that is an unsocialized and aggressive mess that will be eventually seized and euthanized. that's any dog that you fuck up

and no, they do not form packs
>>
>>2008588
This anon here,

So I am calling the breeder tonight to interview them and I am currently coming up with questions to ask them. The seller information on petfinder states that the puppy is getting a neopar vaccine and dewormed every two weeks. She will receive her 5 way vaccinations at 6 and 9 weeks, at that point we will pick her up and have take her for week 12 and 16. She is registered but with the ACA (I know, hence my trepidation) and there will be a health contract for congenital diseases.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about assuming I have no interest in future breeding? Is any of that information, aside from registration, concerning? The breeder currently only has two litters and they are too close to be from a mill.

I appreciate any feedback you can give. My wife and I are very excited but want to make sure we aren't enabling poor practice.
>>
>>2008976
Yeah they usually do, it's a pretty good system and the dogs chill on huge farms with other dog friends when they aren't in a home. My friend had a cattle x Collie and she also has the same job as me and this dog is perfect. So I'm hoping that if I get one that's broken in he won't mind being alone. He's super friendly to me too and follows me everywhere. Probably because I take him for heaps of big walks. I'll look into it a bit further before I make a decision.
>>
>>2008588
>>2009360
If i may ask, why a dachshund? I heard they're a difficult breed and also the hardest to housebreak.
>>
>>2009334

>you're asking for one that is an unsocialized and aggressive mess that will be eventually seized and euthanized

What makes you think I'm looking for that?
>>
>>2009388
My wife grew up with multiple dachshunds and loved them deeply. I just love dogs so I'm alright with anything and we're alright with the potential bills. She may end up with some problems, but we think it'll be worth it.
>>
File: Snapchat-5773815609013464112.jpg (822 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-5773815609013464112.jpg
822 KB, 1440x2560
I've got a 13 year old black lab that barks wherever three or more people are in the same room. He barks for attention and only is quiet when we take him out.

I know I shouldn't reward the bad behavior by taking him out so I usually go into a side room with him and try to get him to calm down.

How do I train him to not bark for attention?
>>
>>2007018
he might have some type of dermatitis. my german shepherd would have the same kinds of itching and irritation on his rear and thighs.

definitely take your dog to a vet, but we helped our dog by shaving the areas where he was chewing at and applying eczema creams, and then we put a cone on him. worked like a charm!!
>>
>>2009334
>Except you're not asking for a guard dog
That's exactly what he's asking for you dumb sack of shit.

>You're asking for one that is an unsocialised and aggressive mess
These assumptions came from you and only you. Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>2009395
I see. Well the breeder seems reputable enough, have they conducted health testing and such? Also, don't let these autists tell you otherwise, it's perfectly fine to pick up your pup at 10 weeks, as you stated.
>>
>>2009115
>>2009116
>>2009117
not all heroes wear capes
>>
>>2009360
>>2009424
It's very important that pups stay with mom until they are 12 weeks old.
Anon, do not get a pup from a breeder that sells pups too young. They are probably cutting corners in other places (like health testing).

>http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/puppy_behavior_basics.html

Puppies are usually weaned at six to seven weeks, but are still learning important skills as their mother gradually leaves them for longer periods of time. Ideally, puppies should stay with their littermates (or other "role-model" dogs) for at least 12 weeks.
Puppies separated from their littermates too early often fail to develop appropriate "social skills," such as learning how to send and receive signals, what an "inhibited bite" (acceptable mouthing pressure) means, how far to go in play-wrestling, and so forth.
Play is important for puppies because it increases their physical coordination, social skills, and learning limits. By interacting with their mother and littermates, puppies explore the ranking process ("who's in charge") and also learn "how to be a dog."
>>
>>2009360
More info-
>http://www.dachshundclubofamerica.org/responsible-breeders/

The Dachshund Club of America has a good site with lots of info. I recommend checking out the articles related to health and structure.
>>
>>2009432
Spotted one of the autists. Newsflash for you dumbass, socialisation is not only achieved via litter mates. The key weeks of socialisation is between 6-12 weeks, which is why most reputable breeders adopt their litter at 10 weeks because it allows the new owner 2 weeks to introduce the pup to everything that he needs to be introduced to, especially if there's other family pets and little children involved.
>>
>>2009421
>I'm going raise guard dogs to protect some important shit off the grid
>wants a dog to attack people that enter their property

a well socialized dog that isn't an aggression liability is the exact opposite of what he's asking for, training human aggression in a dog (especially multiple dogs) is one of the absolute stupidest things you can do. if someone isn't smart enough to know they don't form actual packs, they sure as hell aren't smart enough to train what he calls a guard dog, he is asking for an attack dog

>guard dogs just alert their owner of the presence of an unfamiliar person or object
>attack dogs actually go after the person/object
>>
>>2009437
>The key weeks of socialisation is between 6-12 weeks
actually it's 6-16 weeks m8. that's the range of their 2nd socialization period
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.