[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What animal could I realistically get as a pet that would live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: AndroidSpaceWallpapers44.jpg (355 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
AndroidSpaceWallpapers44.jpg
355 KB, 720x1280
What animal could I realistically get as a pet that would live the longest? I really, really don't handle pet deaths well, and I'd like to avoid it again if possible.

I know parrots outlive their owners fairly often. And I've heard about those tortoises living +100 years, but I don't know how practical that would be.
>>
File: immortal-jellyfish.jpg (741 KB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
immortal-jellyfish.jpg
741 KB, 3872x2592
>>2003414

Immortal jellyfish
>>
File: tumblr_n64rm1FKSJ1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg (394 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n64rm1FKSJ1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg
394 KB, 1280x853
tortoises are pretty pratical.

the only expense I have is buying UV/heat bulbs and electricity.
>>
>>2003414
koi fish also live for ages
>>
>>2003422
seconding fish. Actually, a single or pair of common goldfish will live just as long. Goldfish and koi are both domesticated carp. They can even interbreed and produce fertile offspring.

The two oldest goldfish on record are over 45 years old and still going strong.
>>
File: 300200490-3.jpg (124 KB, 800x624) Image search: [Google]
300200490-3.jpg
124 KB, 800x624
>>2003420
This. You can get a small tortoise that will live 30 to 50 years, and they are pretty easy. it is the giant tortoises that live 1-200 years, and they arent very practical as pets.

Russian Tortoises are fairly easy and forgiving, you can build indoor and outdoor setups for them
>>
>>2003835
The problem is that carp get really huge and aren't suitable for indoors. My bro's goldfish were the size of footballs within three or four years. Turtles really are the best bet for small size but long lived.
>>
>>2003414
Parrots if you can handle the commitment.
Tortoises in general are good, but snapping turtles live longer. (arent the best pets though)
>>
>>2003414
My African grey could hit 50, and I'd be 66 at that point.
>>
>>2003414

is it ethical to get a pet that lives longer than you will? you can provide for its care up until your death but afterwards it's really up in the air what happens to it.
>>
What other anons have said. But you will not get much affection from a tortoise or a fish, if you want a pet you can bond with- parrot. but they are not easy, low maintenance pets by any means.
>>
>>2005365

so you're getting your african grey in 4 years is what you're trying to tell us? getting a christmas present from mommy and daddy?
>>
>>2005410
I've questioned the morality of keeping pets that can outlive their owners too. It's not a big deal with tortoises because they'll be fine with anyone as long as they get the care the need, but parrots are another story.
>>
>>2005419
This doesn't even make sense
>>
>>2005486

He's saying the kid is only 16.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.