[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would a pack of dakotaraptors stand a chance against a tyrannosaurus?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 12
File: Dakotaraptor_RPR.jpg (692 KB, 700x876) Image search: [Google]
Dakotaraptor_RPR.jpg
692 KB, 700x876
Would a pack of dakotaraptors stand a chance against a tyrannosaurus?
>>
>>2003313
Chance against it how? Maybe harass it and chase it off, but no way in hell are they killing it, and they wouldnt even attempt something retarded like that.
>>
>>2003317
Dude, I know. Saw a rex hightailing it away from a pack of those things and their kill just last week. What a world.
>>
>>2003313
depends how old the T. rex is.

kinda funny how dinolovers forget their animals weren't born full size.
>>
>>2003847
Of course, but that's a given and no relevant at all unless you're heavily autistic.
A chihuahua could kill a newborn siberian tiger, but you aren't going to go around saying chihuahuas can kill tigers, even if it is technically true.
>>
>>2003870
>unless you're heavily autistic
this is essentially a requirement for going into descriptive zoology.

in science we call it 'rigor,' not autism.

and the point is relevant because you don't know that the size fossils we have for either species is the maximum size, an average size, or neither. In fact you don't know if these animals actually had a maximum size. If you're going to imagine dino-fights, the first thing you need to do is stop thinking of them as mammals. Or birds.
>>
>>2003870
>A chihuahua could kill a newborn siberian tiger
for that to happen the situation would have to be impossibly specific.

it would have to be a weak cub, that's been abandoned by it's mother, and then someone miraculously passed it while walking their chihuahua in the middle of the woods or in an enclosed zoo.

and even then it probably wouldn't happen.
>>
>>2003880
the shitpile has attracted the fly
>>
>>2003313
Why would ancient raptors live/hunt in packs if modern ones are lone hunters?
>>
Guys, don't bully bugguy.
>>
>>2004483
Most predatory dinosaurs lived in groups, but that's all the evidence suggests. It's only speculative to say they hunt in packs.
>>
>>2006301
>Most predatory dinosaurs lived in groups, but that's all the evidence suggests.
even that's going way too far.

most theropods have no evidence of social behavior at all.

of the few examples known some are better interpreted as a predator trap, e.g. the CL Allosaurus and the GR Coelophysis.

Some may just be feeding frenzy, such as the tenontosaurus-deinonychus association.

Some may be single individuals following the same path at different times, such as the Utah allosaur tracks or the glen rose hunting trackway.

others may just be random associations such as the T. rex "family" that might or might not have all died together.

But even if we pretend those are all evidence of social behavior, that's about 6 species out of hundreds of predatory dinosaurs. Almost none. Certainly not "most."
>>
>>2006301
if we want to make sweeping general statements,

most predatory dinosaurs are known from 3 or fewer bones of a single individual animal.

and there's no way to infer social behavior from a tiny bit of one animal skeleton.
>>
File: 1411703454182s.jpg (8 KB, 174x231) Image search: [Google]
1411703454182s.jpg
8 KB, 174x231
>>2006311

Can we just clone these fuckers to see what they were like already?
>>
>>2006313
no. not gonna happen without a time machine, and if you have a time machine you don't need to clone them.
>>
>>2006317
Why didn't that shit with the gushy bone marrow or whatever work. Jesus Christ, put some effort into it. Make it happen.
>>
>>2006319
my understanding is that she only got 1.5 genes out of about 20,000
>>
>>2006321
Can we just throw money at it til it happens?

I mean, it wouldn't be some retroactively produced genetic kin to a dinosaur, if they extracted that DNA, they would have had an actual tyrannosaurus.

Fucking hell.
>>
>>2006322
We'd have more luck backstrapolating bird DNA, and even then humanity probably won't survive at the necessary technological level to do the job.

DNA simply doesn't last that long. Not in any useful form anyways. The stuff we find is rotten and blasted to tiny bits.
>>
File: 1427699482533.jpg (36 KB, 300x354) Image search: [Google]
1427699482533.jpg
36 KB, 300x354
>>2006327
>>
>>2006329
We'll be lucky if we manage to clone a mammoth before modern civilization collapses, and we already have their entire genome sequenced.
>>
File: 1468768648.jpg (8 KB, 242x242) Image search: [Google]
1468768648.jpg
8 KB, 242x242
>>2006332
Don't kikes realize by destroying the world they won't be able to make money anymore and they could be instead making heaps of cash off of a dinosaur zoo?
>>
>>2006333
making money isn't the likely next step for humanity. Technological singularity will likely render the individual meaningless assuming it hasn't already happened....

There's no way to know we aren't living in a computer simulation, but if we aren't we soon will be. That's where tech is headed. Thank vidya, not the jews.
>>
File: jewfeel.jpg (41 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
jewfeel.jpg
41 KB, 500x461
>>2006334
Who do you think pays for the stuff? Lock everyone in a technological wonderland while you sell them cheap phones.
>>
>>2006335
money is ephemeral enough in reality, it would be absolutely useless in a simulated reality.

Who cares who has the most GP at the end of a D&D quest? It simply doesn't matter.

Likewise if money doesn't real, the Jews you blame are equally imaginary. Whether it's real or not though, the ecology will soon collapse. Malthus can be distracted but never completely avoided. We won't be cloning dinosaurs in this universe, we won't last that long.
>>
File: 1.66 billion.jpg (28 KB, 358x489) Image search: [Google]
1.66 billion.jpg
28 KB, 358x489
>>2006340
>God creates dinosaurs
>God destroys dinosaurs
>God creates man
>Man destroys God
>Man destroys Man
>dinosaurs rise again
>>
>>2006345
meh.
dinosaurs still rule the earth by almost any measure.

dinosaurs are the most diverse and the most populous group of vertebrates on land today.

they're doing just fine, they always have been.
>>
>>2006347
birds aren't dinosaurs any more than mammals are still reptiles

dinosaurs are dead, except now we have their retarded children shitting on our cars
>>
>>2006348
>birds aren't dinosaurs any more than mammals are still reptiles
they actually are, but I'm not sure you really want that particular anatomy lesson from a drunken geologist on a Saturday morning.
>>
>>2006350
sauce then?

I always thought they were genetically different enough to be considered two different groups
>>
>>2006351
kek.
you want some authority to tell you how it is, not an actual dinosaur paleontologist to explain it to you?

very well.

>The fossil record indicates that birds are the last surviving dinosaurs, having evolved from feathered ancestors within the theropod group of saurischian dinosaurs.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird
>>
>>2006351
>they were genetically different enough to be considered two different groups
this is impossible to say since we only have genes from ONE of the two groups.

but even if they are, that doesn't mean that one of the groups doesn't still belong to the other.

humans are genetically distinct from apes, but humans are still apes.

Not all apes are humans, but all humans are apes.
Not all dinosaurs are birds, but all birds ARE dinosaurs.
>>
>>2006351
It has nothing to do with genetic differences and everything to do with you being what your ancestors were. Birds didn't stop being dinosaurs just because they have feathered wings and powered flight.
>>
>>2006359
and here I was hoping to expound on how Sir Owen, FRS, KCB, erected the Dinosauria in 1842 based on his observation of the synsacra of Megalosaurus and Iguanodon, a trait found in modern birds, and how this single diagnostic character even in the mid 1800's identified birds as dinosaurs.
Then maybe some discussion about how this was confirmed by the discovery of Archaeopteryx in the 1860's.

alas, I must save it and drink another.
>>
>>2006359
>t has nothing to do with genetic differences and everything to do with you being what your ancestors were

see: >>2006348

>>2006355
This makes sense.
>>
>>2006348
>any more than mammals are still reptiles
there's only about 2 paleontologist left that still classify proto mammals as reptiles.
>>
>>2006365
>there's only about 2 paleontologist left that still classify proto mammals as reptiles.
reptiles isn't a classification, so there's maybe 2 paleontologists left that classify anything as reptiles.
>>
>>2006365
the retard speaks

Too bad I'm at work and can't save cookies or else I wouldn't be reading your retarded post.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>2006369
I get that sometimes too. I have him blocked on my personal laptops but not on my work computers.

I usually read what he has to say in paleo threads though. His misunderstandings help explain cladistics to others I think.

every now and then he actually knows something I don't. He's... well read if not well educated.
>>
>>2006366
I couldn't find a better word for it.

either way there's only 2 that think they were reptiles.
>>
>>2006371
what are their names, those 2?

also out of curiosity, how many paleontologists do you think there are right now? How many of them are vertebrate paleontologists?
>>
File: 1427794644331.png (90 KB, 1125x681) Image search: [Google]
1427794644331.png
90 KB, 1125x681
>>2006370
you accidentally posted without your trip, bugfaggot

get back to r/furries and discuss animals with other autists like yourself
>>
>>2006372
the only recent work I could find last time I looked for it was that one book from Edwin H. Colbert and Michael Morales.
>>
>>2006373
I'm not bugguy.
I've just grown bored with his argument regarding reptiles as a taxon, and I'm willing to admit I've learned stuff from him on occasion. Presumably because he has no life and spends most of his days reading Wikipedia.

I can prove that I'm not him if you like, but I hardly see the point. Like I said, I'm a drunk geologist, and while I can lecture on evolution of the archosauria while drunk I have a bit more trouble doing timestamped selfies.
>>
>>2006374
kek.

I worked with Kirkland naming a dinosaur after the first of those two.
>>
>>2006375
>Presumably because he has no life and spends most of his days reading Wikipedia.
I only post in the afternoon on week days, you know this.
>>
>>2006378
I don't check your time against mine.
as you know I'm on the opposite side of the planet.
>>
>>2006374
protip, he was Ned, not Edwin to his friends.
>>
File: Dakotaraptor_lateral_Wiki.jpg (42 KB, 800x429) Image search: [Google]
Dakotaraptor_lateral_Wiki.jpg
42 KB, 800x429
>>2003313
>mfw googling dakotaraptor

holy fucking shit
>>
>>2006381
I love bob bakker's silhouette in that.
>>
>>2006379
you could have figured by how long it takes me to reply sometimes.
>>2006377
>how many paleontologists do you think there are right now?
I imagine not a whole lot because I've been asked to do some government 'sponsored' plant paleontology multiple times and I didn't even study for it.

then again there aren't a whole lot of botanists left here ever since they 'freed' gardening as an occupation, a while ago you still needed paperwork to do it.
>>
>>2006383
well paleontology doesn't require a sheepskin at all. Just knowledge and a lot of free time. You might be perfect for it.

paleobotany bores me, but then one of my favorite dinosaur paleontologists started off as a paleobotanist.

paleobotany is mostly studying pollen under a microscope though.
>>
>>2006383
>you could have figured by how long it takes me to reply sometimes.
I sleep 12 hours a day. One of the perks of retirement. I assume I'm comatose most of the time you're up.
>>
>>2006385
>paleobotany is mostly studying pollen under a microscope though.
here it's mostly looking at bogwood and drilling holes in it.
>>
>>2006387
yeah, I guess.
either way it doesn't excite me. Molecules bore me, but give me a bone to look at and I'm happy for weeks.
>>
>>2006387
and getting hateful stares from paleontologists because if you find endangered plants near where they're working the entire project gets canceled.
>>
>>2006390
I don't think we'd mind here.

in the US botanists, zoologists, archaeologists and paleontologists are all in the same boat.

most of the work we do in private industry or government work is checking to see if there's treasure on the land that will stop a project.
>>
>>2006390
also if you find endangered species on the surface and we NEED what's underground we just go in from below.
>>
>>2006388
I can't stand doing lab work, which is one of the reasons I work as gardener and sometimes do field work.
>>
>>2006391
the dutch government is retarded, a few years ago they canceled a huge highway construction project because they found a small colony of hamsters.

one of our bigger political parties (de partij van de dieren) is related to PETA, hence why they're so pissy about it.
>>
>>2006394
I also got warned once that I shouldn't interfere with the 'local biodiversity' and expect a lawsuit if I still choose to do so because I requested them to remove some random toilet from a nature reserve after doing field work there.

to this day it's still standing.
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.9253456,5.8777306,3a,75y,75.49h,70.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFBgoP6sQ9LEOez-BX1OhZw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
>>
>>2006393
I love labwork, but not the sort you'd probably imagine.
>>2006394
The US is similar but I can't complain since there's so much money in it. A job is a job, and there's far more paleontologists here than there are teaching or curating posts.
>>
>>2006395
>that random ass fucking toilet.
I can't stop laughing
>>
>>2006395
lol'd
here that would be littering in a wetland, no way that would last.
>>
>>2006396
>I love labwork
probably because paleobotany and vertebrate paleontology isn't much alike when it comes to lab work.

what you study isn't the size of grain of salt and doesn't smell like bog.
>>
>>2006399
the labwork I do now is assaying for heavy metals. Lead, cadmium, arsenic.

I quit paleontology, I'm an environmental contractor in mining now. Like you I have a eidetic memory though. I don't forget anatomy just because my current work is mostly water.
>>
>>2006398
it has been standing there untouched for 5+ years so far.

I'd move it in secret but it's like 100 pounds of ceramic and bog and my lift trolley would get stuck in the mud.
>>
>>2006401
I'm not even sure how someone would cross those canals to get it. It's pretty fuckin funny though. I've seen similar shit in my area. People dump the strangest things. I know of a couch a couple miles from my house just sitting in the woods waiting for someone's ass.
>>
>>2006400
sounds very uninteresting, but if it pays well and you've got plenty of free time it's worth it.

> I'm an environmental contractor in mining now
yeah you're the le evolutionary paleontologist guy from like 4 years ago right.
>>2006402
there's a ton of random facades just standing around here because if a house is older than 100 years it's illegal to break the front down.

I should have a picture laying around of one.
>>
File: facade.jpg (692 KB, 1275x849) Image search: [Google]
facade.jpg
692 KB, 1275x849
>>2006403
observe.

just on some random clearing in the middle of a forest.
>>
>>2006403
you know who I am. If you gave a shit you'd undoubtedly know my name irl by now. I've posted enough info in this thread alone to dox me. I'm not ashamed of my name or my work though.
I'm not the person that follows you around ragging on you most of the time. I suspect you know that too.
>>2006404
I wish we had a law like that being enforced. Most of our old structures were torn down or burnt down a long time ago.
>>
>>2006405
/an/ isn't smart enough to piece clues together so I wouldn't worry about it.

if there's a law for it atleast make it beneficial, this is just letting random bricks stand around where no one will see them anyway.

the worst part is that they're actually 'maintained' to some degree, which roughly means they'll destroy the endangered ferns that grow between the bricks once in a while.
>>
>>2006406
>they'll destroy the endangered ferns that grow between the bricks once in a while.
which make you wonder why they don't trim those trees.

it's probably because that requires powered tools and this work is literally done by drooling idiots and they'd end up injuring themselves.

>your work is to scrape ferns off bricks on structures no one will ever see.
good use of tax money.
>>
>>2005698
So he's not just posting in the horse thread?
>>
>>2006406
>/an/ isn't smart enough to piece clues together so I wouldn't worry about it
I'm not worried, I spent a lot of time hoping someone would ID me. I use a pirated IP addy though, so the only way anyone will ever dox me is through my work. I'd be amused if someone looked me up and confirmed my credentials though. They'd be shocked.

The alternative to your law is what we have here- entire towns that have disappeared, nothing left but trash and the foundations of houses. I'd love to see what some of those ghost towns looked like but they're gone for good. Nobody even took a picture of them in a lot of cases.
>>
>>2006409
bugguy is often about 1/3 of the posts on /an/.

he's cut back some lately.
>>
>>2006410
>and confirmed my credentials though. They'd be shocked.
this is /an/ they'd just pretend they didn't see it and continue shitposting like they know better than you.

there's still plenty of old empty houses there though, we don't have a whole lot of those.
which is sad because I'd like some urban exploring.
>>
File: De tuin van mijn vader 3.jpg (2 MB, 3167x2056) Image search: [Google]
De tuin van mijn vader 3.jpg
2 MB, 3167x2056
>>2006411
more like 1/3 of the traffic, I don't post that much, it's just that people keep shitposting after I'm done shitposting.
>>
>>2006412
Paleontology and fishkeeping are just my hobbies. I'm fairly famous for something else.

Regarding houses, I like metal detecting. Amateur archeology. But I'd give my left nut to know what some of the old buildings looked like.
>>
>>2006415
>old buildings
how old?

there's still plenty of pre-war villages in Europe for you to visit.
>>
>>2006418
the stuff around me is 140 years old at most.
old mining camps. thousands of houses and tens of thousands of people that aren't here anymore.

I doubt I'll ever go to Europe, I love palm trees and sandy beaches. You guys have great history but I can't climb all over it and dig it up like I can here. My house is 140 years old, I live in our history.
>>
>>2006419
> but I can't climb all over it and dig it up
you can as long as you don't get caught.

there's no one watching over those old buildings for the most part.
>>
>>2006422
>as long as you don't get caught
I don't actually break laws. Not your laws or mine. I even pay for my pirated internet.

but I doubt anything I'd find around those old houses that would pay for my airfare anyways. I make a few thousand dollars a year metal detecting here, but I spend 60 hours a week doing it. It's like a full-time job. It's either that or play golf.

Where you live looks beautiful though.
>>
File: tumblr_n3q0zxMSvu1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg (470 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3q0zxMSvu1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg
470 KB, 1280x853
>>2006423
there's too many rules for me to bother following them and no one to enforce them.

I make some money selling logs and stumps I found in the forest, that's probably illegal as well.
>>
>>2006426
>that's probably illegal as well.
yeah, that's one nobody enforces over here as well. I like the stump in your pic, it has some nice options.

but to bring the conversation back on topic b4 going to bed, OP's dino is from the Maastrichtian. A time period named for a town near you, Maastricht. I happen to live near Morrison, a town for which the Jurassic Morison Formation is named. We both have dinosaurs in our back yards, figuratively speaking.

talk to you later, I hope you have a good day.
>>
>>2006428
most dinosaurs that are found here are from the caves in the south, here in the north we just get a lot of amber and mammoth bones from the sea.

which is fine, amber looks better than bones when polished.

good night.
>>
File: shitt.jpg (174 KB, 815x857) Image search: [Google]
shitt.jpg
174 KB, 815x857
>>2006429
here's one I found recently.

I've got like 20 boxes filled with it, only the tusks, teeth and skulls are worth keeping if you ask me though.
>>
>>2006431
Why don't we in the holy name of fuck just take a fucking emu, manipulate his genes to give him a tail, teeth and other arcaic traits.
>>
>>2006423
>I spend 60 hours a week metal detecting.
what is wrong with you
>>
>>2006436
because muh ethics apparently.

cloning animals is illegal here.
>>
>>2006439
Where is it not illegal?
>>
>>2006440
I wouldn't know.

just like I don't know why it's banned in the first place, it appears to be based on some leftist bullshit.
>>
>>2006441
I agree. When will those stupid leftists learn that animals only have nociceptors, and not feelspainciceptors?
>>
>>2006313
The cloned dinosaur wouldn't have any parents to teach them and they would end up imprinting on people and becoming all fucked up, believing they are human, unable to hunt or reproduce on their own like toy dogs.
>>
>>2006347
>birds are the most diverse and the most populous group of vertebrates on land toda
Source on that?
Birds have crazy plumage and beaks but the bone structure is pretty much the same for all of them.
You'd think mammals would be the most diverse, ranging from fucking elephants to shrews, to humans, to bats, to platypuses, to naked mole rats and so on.
>>
>>2006348
Mammals and reptiles have a common ancestor, mammals were never reptiles they developed side by side.
>>
>>2006436
They do it with chicken embryos and they develop a snout, but they have to be terminated before reaching maturity.
>>
>>2006471
that depends, proto-mammals are seen as reptiles by some laleontologists.

the term reptile is entirely meaningless though.
>>
>>2006437
>what is wrong with you
I retired 11 years ago at the age of 32. That's a lot of people's dream, I know. But it's actually pretty fucking boring being retired.
>>2006469
>Source on that?
first paragraph of the wiki article on birds.
diverse means most speciose though. Not the most different from each other. There are more bird species than there are mammal species. Reptiles+amphibians are very close in number to birds, but that's hard to compare since technically birds are reptiles.
>>2006471
>mammals were never reptiles
reptiles are those amniotes that lack fur or feathers.
mammals evolved from reptiles by that definition. The first synapsids were amniotes that lacked fur and feathers- reptiles.
>>
>>2006423
Andy is that you?
>>
>>2006868
no
>>
>>2006480

They don't have to be terminated. The embryos autoterminate at about 18 days gestation because the process that activates the genes for tooth and snout development also activates a shitload of lethal recessives. Because genes aren't a computer program with neatly ordered code.
>>
>>2007246
>a shitload of lethal recessives
What if they are terminated because they would be lethal...to humans!
zan zan zannn
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.