[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Education advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I'd like to work one on one with exotic animals. Actually interacting and carrying for them is preferred. What career choices do I have? And what type of careers follow that sort of work? I looked into zoo keeper and animal rehabilitation but It doesn't seem like the type of job that is financially stable, and 20k a year median wage. Is there anything I'm missing? Does zoology let u work with zoos for study? Do you actually interact with the animals or study from afar? I wouldn't mind wildlife vet but I'm not sure I'll be comfortable if I have to put any of the animals down, unless there's no chance of saving them and they are in pain. Thanks /an/
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
May have some typos in there in using the mobile version and it's kind of wonky.
>>
File: 1447907881537.jpg (187 KB, 777x777) Image search: [Google]
1447907881537.jpg
187 KB, 777x777
That's a dream a lot of us animal lovers want. To work with animals, especially exotics. Most jobs relating to animal care don't pay well, but if you love the work you do, you should do it regardless.

You can work in an exotic vet office. I've heard even being a veterinarian doesn't pay well (any vets here feel free to say I'm wrong), but again, it's something they love and put their whole heart into. No better way to get close to animals besides your own. I'm sure everyone who works as a vet worries about putting down animals and having to tell their owners. I doubt you get entirely used to it. But also imagine all the things you can do to save a bunch of animals. They go to you because they need you. If you have to put them down, you're still helping by not letting them suffer. If you never had to put down an animal as a vet, it would be the perfect job. But no job is perfect. I'd rather deal with that than working retail and dealing with cunty customers all day.

Also, I think you can work as just a receptionist at a vet clinic without a license. That way you could get a taste of the veterinarian life before you go to school for it.
>>
>>2002868
>Actually interacting and carrying for them is preferred
Uh oh...
>>
>>2002925
Some jobs are just watching and studying from afar. I want to do the studying and research and interact. Why is that so hard to understand? I appreciate the one person on the "animal" boards that's been helpful tho. As for those that seem confused and feeling the need to just laugh or troll, I do feel sorry for you.
>>
Working with animals doesn't make big bucks because animals don't have wallets. People get into it because its what they love to do. Also, almost every field requires a PhD. Getting a BS in zoology is useless.

Becoming a vet is probably the most lucrative path that involves working 1 on 1 and caring for animals.
>>
Any animal job is financially a burden, but if this is really what you want to do, you'll suck it up.

First of all, euthanasia is part of working with animals no matter what job. You learn to deal with it, and move on. I've had to make the decision several times to euthanize an animal, hard every time.

Zoology degrees will help you get a foot in the door. Most zoos now require a Bachelors and/or 2-5 years paid experience in AZA zoos. (Assuming you're in the US.)
Degrees help, but what really makes a difference on resumes, is experience. If you're interested in working in a zoo, start volunteering. ASAP.
I was a docent at my local zoo for 8 years before I got my first paid job. I was a department manager for 4 years, and still had a hard time finding a new job.
It's all about who you know.
Volunteering/Internships are the best way to figure out if it is really what you want. You will also figure out what type of facility you want to work in. Zoo, sanctuary, rehab etc.
I started in a zoo, but the politics were awful. Bottom line was about money and showing how big one's dick could look to the general public. I'm now in a sanctuary and I absolutely love it.

Stay focused. If this is what you want to do, don't give up.
It's competitive and not easy to get your foot in the door.
But it's the most rewarding thing I have done with my life.
I make $10 an hour, and that is fine with me. I've learned to make it work.
>>
>>2002942
Why don't you look into some kind of Research type degree. If research is what you want. Zoology will be useless if there's no research background. For data & stuff.
>>
>>2002942
>interact

All the damn "animal fags" want to interact. Just be thankful animals are still alive to see.
>>
File: 1430636586574.jpg (12 KB, 212x204) Image search: [Google]
1430636586574.jpg
12 KB, 212x204
I gave up on the interacting with animals dream long a go. It may be possible if you go and work in a sanctuary in poor country, but then you'll get paid even less.

Animal jobs don't pay well. Ever. Unless maybe you're in a research field but that's not gonna be cuddly. That's dosing up animals and trying to lessen their suffering.

I do a zoology degree in the UK. It's mainly all about conservation i.e. watching animals from afar. We did a bit of bird ringing and small mammal trapping which is as close as you're gonna get to handling wild animals unless you take the exotic vet path. Which everyone wants to do.

imo, animals should be left wild without handling unless of course domestic. And if domestic animals are what you want to handle, just get a pet.

I disagree with those that have said 'getting a BSc in zoo' is useless. Over here, any random guy can go work in a zoo if they have a passion. Anyone can do conservation volunteering and eventually land themselves a job doing research or just apply to be an RSPCA officer.
>>
>>2003331
>I disagree with those that have said 'getting a BSc in zoo' is useless. Over here, any random guy can go work in a zoo if they have a passion.

HENCE WHY A DEGREE IS USELESS.
Also, UK has lower standards of animal care than the US.
>>
File: GUNDI.jpg (80 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
GUNDI.jpg
80 KB, 640x480
>>2003916
Sorry, I forgot to add something along the lines of "but they can't get in to any higher up positions that pay more than a pittance, so a degree is a good way to separate yourself from 'cuddly fluffy animals yay i get to touch them'. A zoology degree is not what you want if you just want to work in a zoo".

>UK has lower standards of animal care than the US
Can you explain that for me? Because I can assure you we don't have big cat sanctuaries that breed '~endangered white tigers~' and we never had a blackfish fiasco. We also rarely if at all see any 'wolf breeders' or extreme domestic cruelty. Some woman put a cat in a wheelie bin here once and she was hunted down to prosecution.

Maybe it's due to size of the country but I'd like to see where you're getting your facts from.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.