[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dogs and shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Forum Personafied.jpg (67 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
Forum Personafied.jpg
67 KB, 1152x864
how come dogs evolved into those different types when there was just the wolf or a common ancestor of him? Like, the difference in size and whatnot, was it all just luck and literal physical retardation that some got floppy ears etc?
>>
>>2002275
neoteny and gene plasticity combined with a lot of intentional inbreeding.
>>
>>2002277
wat
>>
>>2002288
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenotypic_plasticity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding
>>
>>2002288
>being literally retarded
pls google
>>
>>2002303
i have to watch mcdonalds toy reviews tho
no time for that shit
>>
Because wolves were great and all, but then we wanted scenthounds that are really great at following scents, sighthounds that are really good at running at turbo speed, guard/watchdogs that are really big and scary and frighten off intruders, dogs that can herd domesticated animals, dogs that are really fucking cute companions, etc. All of these favour different physical traits- you can't have a dog which is as fast as a greyhound and strong enough to pull a sled and also has a strong herding instinct as well as a strong chasing instinct. They've been bred for their job and for the part of the world they live in.

Then there's the fact that domestication tends to lead to animals retaining juvenile characteristics (shorter snouts, rounder and bigger eyes, floppy ears) into adulthood, and the fact that dogs are very adaptable as a species and can be healthy and functional in very different shapes and sizes. And there's just novelty- people get attached to their dogs, they like cool colours and coat patterns even if it doesn't necessarily have any benefit besides appearance, so they're going to breed more cool-looking dogs.

However, if you look up pariah dog, that's essentially the default dog shape that stray/feral dogs tend to revert back to within a couple of generations if people are not deliberately breeding them to retain breed characteristics. That dingo-like appearance is the one that is favoured when no one is looking after dogs and they have to fend for themselves.
>>
>>2002277
so this can be done with any other animal as well?
>>
>>2002672
no. not to the extent it's been done with dogs.
>>
>>2002674
why
>>
>>2002682
I'm sure it could be done with another species given the thousands of generations dogs have had.
>>
Because you're an idiot
>>
>>2002275
Look up the Russian fox experiment for an example of taking a wild animal and domesticating the population over about 50 years.
>>
>>2002682
because dogs have extraordinarily high phenotypic plasticity.

didn't you read any of the references I cited?
>>
>>2002275
Inbreeding
Dogs are unhealthy mutants created entirely as tools or toys for man
This is why they cannot survive in the wild
>>
>>2002749
>This is why they cannot survive in the wild
kek
>>
>>2002749
How could you possibly not know about feral dogs?
What are you even doing here?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.