[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to get a German Shepherd, but due to over-breeding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: 6964324-german-shepherd-puppy.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
6964324-german-shepherd-puppy.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
I'd like to get a German Shepherd, but due to over-breeding I concerned to get an unhealthy one, bad hip etc.

I'd like to know what should I be aware of when choosing a breeder!

Thanks
>>
Chose a breeder that does the necessary health testing; OFA and CERF. Ask the breeder for a copy of the paperwork on both parents.
>>
>>2002019
Thanks! does this guarantee I'll have a healthy dog in future?
>>
>>2002017
>I'd like to get a German Shepherd
nice meme-breed you chose
>>
>>2002022
Well that is a German Shepherd pup now, isn't it?
>>
>>2002021
There are no gurentees in life.
>>
>>2002024
Quite sad
>>
A true breeder inbreeds their dogs to save the bloodline.

ANY PURE BRED DOG IS GOING TO HAVE ISSUES FAGGOT.

get a mutt
>>
>>2002031
I find this difficult to understand
>>
>>2002036
>what is basic biology/genetics
>>
>>2002031
You show a lack of basic knowledge on dog breeding.

Op ignore this guy. He is going to insist that all purebred dogs are inbred monsters full of crippling health problems.
>>
All I asked for breeder cautions

>>2002019
This person gave a nice answer

Though I feel its not that easy
>>
>>2002038
>full of crippling health problems.
what a miraculous coincidence that certain diseases always appear in specific breeds. But you're right, inbreeding is good for any animal's health. That's why it's allowed to have children with your siblings. It's only natural.
>>
>>2002040
As far as I know incest is illegal in most of countries...
>>
>>2002042
Really? Why would they make that illegal? Especially since according to this fucktard >>2002038 inbreeding is the best thing ever.
>>
>>2002039
Well, you wouldn't open with those questions, but it is that easy. Any breeder worth their salt is itching to show you info on health testing.
>>
>>2002042
Don't feed the trolls.
>>
>>2002058
I'll be more confident now! thanks!
>>
>>2002059
Yeah. Most important internet rule
>>
>>2002060
You should try to attend a few dog shows, it's the best way to get a breeders attention. Emails are not always returned because for every decent dog owner that contacts a breeder, there will be 10 flaky people.
Also, expect to be put on a waiting list.
>>
File: bruno 4f.jpg (80 KB, 414x336) Image search: [Google]
bruno 4f.jpg
80 KB, 414x336
Get a straight backed one.
Ones with sloped backs are bred for shows and will probably become crippled in a few years.
>>
>>2002087
Op should get a pup from a breeder that does health testing, not based on your opinion of sloping backs.
>>
>>2002091
>implying sloped backs can be healthy
k.
>>
>>2002094
>putting words in my mouth

0/10 troll harder
>>
>>2002099
You really did imply that thing tho
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 960x678) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 960x678
Good reference for how stacking actually affects how extreme a dog looks. The way a dog is stacked is not how they actually stand and move IRL:

"This is Atlas showing how stacking can affect a dog. The top left is my preferred and how I stack him in UKC and SV. The top right is how I stack him in AKC. The bottom right is him stacked four square because a lot of people have never seen a GSD stacked like that. The bottom left shows him stacked with an incorrect inside foot position (look at how it affects his croup)."
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1974x1476) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1974x1476
A handy chart comparing BYBs, puppy mills, and reputable breeders. If seeking a puppy from a breeder you should only purchase from the right two columns.
>>
>>2002114
a handy chart of bullshit and class prejudice
>>
>>2002117
>>2002118
BYB detected
>>
>>2002121
BYBs love the roach back.
>>
>>2002121
Don't feed the troll.
>>
>>2002114

>implying reputable breeders don't produce dogs with disease and physical abnormalities.

Do you people even know what a fucking purebred dog is?
>>
>>2002091

They do health testing BECAUSE of the ton of problems that purebreed dogs have, ps what happens to the dogs that fail the health tests?
>>
>>2002129
Dogs that are found to have health problems are spayed/ neutered. Depending on how severly the dog is effected, the dog will either stay with the breeder or be rehomed.
>>
>>2002137
>Depending on how severely the dog is effected, the dog will either stay with the breeder or be re-homed.
or put down, because some of them come out too sick to live. because of all the inbreeding.
>>
>>2002129
They are sterilized and not bred. Depending on the issue and their personality they either are kept as pets by the breeder or rehomed to trusted friends, and usually the dogs will be more active in working activities since they are no longer shown.
>>
>>2002140
>usually the sick dogs will be more active
but...
>>
>>2002139
The vast majority of breeders don't practice any form of inbreeding, if you're concerned about it then talk to the breeder and ask to see the pedigree of the dogs in their breeding program. A good breeder will happily oblige.
>>
>>2002142
It depends on what the issue is and what the activity is, but often times dogs are diagnosed and pulled from the breeding program long before they ever experience any pain or symptoms. Sure, a dog showing early elbow displaysia will not be competing in agility, but could become a great tracking dog or excel in competitive obedience for example.
>>
>>2002156
>a dog showing early elbow displaysia will not be competing in agility, but could become a great tracking dog or excel in competitive obedience for example.
until the dysplasia they bred into it kicks in and it has a short, horrible life
>>
Death and taxes.
>>
>>2002161
In some cases, yes. In others, they can still live a good, fulfilling, and active life.

My GSD was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia of both elbows with severe osteoarthritic change at just 18 months old. We found out he had hip dysplasia in both hips when he was 5 years old, but at that stage there was no arthritic change to the joints.

He's 7 and a half now, he's had severe osteoarthritis in his elbows for six years, and while we do implement a 3-monthly pain management injection that is more long-term glucosamine with a very minor steroid, he's beginning to slow up just a tiny amount. It should be noted that he can still run 5 miles easy while I cycle, and jump about 5 feet vertical.
>>
File: Cripple.jpg (609 KB, 975x633) Image search: [Google]
Cripple.jpg
609 KB, 975x633
>>2002091
>opinion
Wew lad. Enjoy your crippled dog that will probably have to be put down at half of it's expected age. OP may as well buy a pug.
>>
>>2002166
Did you know that a sloping back is not a guarantee of good hips? A dog with a straight back can have inheritable bad hips -- a dog with a sloped back can have inheritable good hips. Many large-breed, straight-backed dogs such as the Labrador, Siberian Husky, as well as others, are also prone to heretidary hip dysplasia.

It is critical that a good breeder have their breeding stock x-rayed upon maturity and prior to breeding.
>>
File: gsd-1915.jpg (24 KB, 500x336) Image search: [Google]
gsd-1915.jpg
24 KB, 500x336
>>2002171
Nothing is a guarantee. But sloped back dogs are much more likely to develop hip and/or leg problems than straight backed ones.

You have to keep in mind that straight backed dogs are bred for working, such as in the military and police forces, where health and fitness is top priority, whereas sloped back dogs were bred for physical appearance, same as pugs and all the other fucked up breeds.

There is literally no benefit of getting a sloped back dog, while there are many downsides. Straight backs are pretty much superior in every way. Sloped backs are memedogs.
>>
>>2002174
I am keeping that in mind. You need to also keep in mind that German Shepherds, in the GSD stack, will always look sloped, regardless of how square they actually stand when square-stacked, and a certain amount of rear end angulation is actually necessary for the correct function of the dog. An underangulated dog with posty legs will suffer just as badly as an overangulated dog, and you can't just make the broad assumption that "oh look the bad is straight" is going to mean the dog is fit.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.