[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Amphibians and reptile general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: IMG-20151119-WA0002.jpg (185 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151119-WA0002.jpg
185 KB, 900x1600
I recently bought a whites tree frog and I am concerned about the humidity. The exo Terra brand dial I bought says upwards of 80% yet the tank is not foggy or steamy. Its 18L with a heat mat on the side at a pleasant 22-23 degrees celsuis. He had a hollow log, fake vine, wide flat water bowl and substrate. I noticed he was hugging where the matt waslast night and breathing rapidly but that stopped 20 mins later

Any tips for a noob?
>>
>>2001108
>photo screencap
>feeding a big mouse to a WTF

I'm assuming that's not your but I cringed hard.

Either way, first off, you shouldn't ever get a animal without making a somewhat decent research on it. For the looks of it, you didn't.

18L it's super small. What are the dimensions on it? WTFs are arboreal, so they need a pretty tall terrarium. I would assume anything below 40cm to be bad for them. Ideal day temperature is between 24 and 28ÂșC. You don't need to have a foggy terrarium to have high levels of humidity.

It's the heat mat from exoterra? Those are pretty shitty, and heat very little. Try to get a bigger terrarium and heat cable.

Pretty much do research on care sheets. If you still don't know, the scientific name for it is Litoria caerulea. Might help on your research.
>>
>>2001112
My sis took the pic off her screen. I intend to feed it mice when its large which is part of their natural diet
>>
>>2001123
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
Please don't be OP
>Please don't be OP
>>
>>2001123
Omg so cringe op how could you do it I hope your frog Derek dies
>>
>>2001112
I did research and the tank is 42cm (?) The one it shaRedwith 3others would be around 12 L. Sorry on second thought its closer to 40+ litre. I have no idea why I wrote 18. The tank is about 30cm wide and 20+ deep. I'm just looking for ways to reduce humidty. Also, as its my first frog its doubtful I'd get it spot on first time.
>>
>>2001126
That's why you need to have it spot on before having the frog. It doesn't work like that anon.

The size is a bit better, but still not that big. imo 30x30x45 would be the least for them. The tank needs to have good ventilation, that's the only way to reduce humidity.
>>
find someone in your area who keeps them and ask for support.
reptile and amphibian lovers like to share there knowledge.
Personally i dont keep frogs, only elapids and some pythons so i cant really give any credible advice.
whats your postcode?
>>
>>2001127
Fuck no one ever ever gets it spot on. Fact. I feel as it is still young and fairly small, that I have provided a suitable environment (aside the humidity) for its development until it gets larger.

I have used a pair of stockings as an emergency fabric mesh to increase ventilation until I buy a wire mesh.

>>2001124
I don't understand, that is part of its natural diet. That is a large mouse for a young dumpy though
>>
>>2001130
No, mice aren't part of their natural diet...they are arboreal. How would mice be part of their diet?

You don't have a good temperature for it, so it doesn't seem as suitable as you say it is. Take pics.
>>
>>2001131
Rats and mice can climb. They regularly come down to water spots. Baby birds work a treat too
>>
>>2001127
OP here I'll ramp up the temp and I'll get a pic later. Ty for the help. Should I start spraying his tank and the remove the bowl?
>>
>>2001134
If the humidity is at 80 I don't think you should spray it more. Always have a bowl with water available regardless.

>>2001132
No. At most you could feed it a pinkie very rarely just because of the calcium it has. But the best diet would consist on insects, dusted with vitamins and calcium every other meal. You can also give it earthworms, since they are a very reliable source of food for amphibians in general, but for the most part the diet should be focus on insects.
>>
>>2001135
At the moment its on medium crickets and I read a few 3 times a week. When do I move up a size?
>>
>>2001159
What size does it have? I've read that juveniles should be fed daily.
>>
>>2001180
Medium crickets. I'd say it's 2inchs and lean
>>
Bad op! Bad! Not reading caresheets. Thinking mice are part of tree frog diet. Not getting terrarium conditions correct before getting frog. Calling thread herp general when there is a herp general thread.
>>
>>1998572
>>
>>2001135
Update: tank was 25 Celsius yesterday afternoon and humidity down to 68%. Gettin there.
>>
>>2001203
caresheets are largely misinformation, especially when they're american because americans are terrible at anything related to breeding.
>>
>>2001131
You do realize arboreal tree frogs don't LIVE in trees right? They will spend plenty of time at ground/water level. Particularly when hunting. White's Tree Frogs are mostly insectivores (moths, roaches, locusts, spiders), but have been seen in the wild to eat other frogs and small mammals on occasions. So yes, rodents are a RARE part of their wild diet.
>>
>>2001704
And I take it you are an expert
>>
>>2001737
Well he does trip on 4chan
>>
File: tumblr_n8wwgj7LgN1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg (488 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8wwgj7LgN1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg
488 KB, 1280x853
>>2001737
pretty much.
>>
thinking of names for my crested gecko I'm getting in a month. I'm thinking of naming him "Sticky Fingers". any suggestions?
>>
>>2002924
Tape
>>
>>2002924
Something simple. Called my frog Derek
>>
>>2002924
You could do Scott like scotch tape
>>
Question here: my frog has red inner back legs where his legs fold up. But he doesn't have any that I can see on his belly or under side of legs. I've noticed lately he goes in and out of his water bowl a lot too. His humidity is usually 65% n temp 20-25 depending on time of day. He still seems active and eats. I've noticed mild discolouration on his back like very slight dark green patches
>>
>>2001131
>You are this dumb
If it doesn't eat mice then why is it eating a mouse? ;)
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.