[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dog food general i saw this dog food at the store. im pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20151117_175515091.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151117_175515091.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
Dog food general

i saw this dog food at the store. im pretty sure it's made of sawdust. what do you think?
>>
Its made from bone ash. Im buying some cheap Czech dog food called britcare my street mutt loves it.
>>
>>2000314
My buddy was a street dog too. I don't even want to know what she was eating back then.

She's on a good kibble now (RIP my wallet) but sometimes I'm tempted to buy cheaper stuff. :/
>>
>>2000303

Should have taken a photo of the ingredients list.
>>
>>2000323
I wanted too, but the bag was heavy as fuck and I couldn't flip it over.
>>
>>2000368

You should fitten up if you can't flip over a simple 40 pound bag.

Go back to the store tomorrow, lie down in the aisle, and start doing bench-presses and deadlifts with that kibble!
>>
>>2000375

Well they might have to start by bench pressing with the dog treats, working up to the small bags of dog food.

Add in some extra kong action to hit the shoulders
>>
That name sounds like something that would come out of Scooby Doos mouth if he were trying to say (body bag'

Don't fuckin touch it OP, shits a trap
>>
>>2000323
>Ingredients: Wheat Middlings, Ground Yellow Corn, Meat and Bone Meal, soybean Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Animal fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid), Animal Digest Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate , Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Vitamin D Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid.

Doesn't sound good to me.
>>
>>2000391
Shampoo, calamine lotion, shitty human vitamins and preserved animal fat and bones and meat. Also estrogen.
>>
>>2000391
That's awful holy shit
>>
>>2000635
Whats worse is how empty the pallet is.
>>
>>2000391
Haha that would kill both my dogs. Like, literally. (I found out the hard way that one cannot tolerate soy in any concentration during a deworming incident. The other can't have any grain at all because he can't digest it.) This food would literally cause one of my dogs to shit blood until he dehydrated and died, and the other to slow-starve over a number of weeks.

Anyway, the dog that can't tolerate soy eats Orijen Six Fish. The high protein content suits him nicely, as he gets fat easily on too much carb.

The other dog (no grains) is a tricky case, as he must also have less than 4% fibre to prevent occurrence of small intestinal dysbiosis. He has a mix of Taste of the Wild and Addiction, as well as Wellness Core canned food, and which kibble he gets depends entirely on how much energy he's expended.

I've never found feeding a dog to be just going to the store and picking up a bag of anything that looks good to work. It's always been a harrowing balancing act with life threatening consequences.
>>
>>2000303
I get that same food at Tractor Supply for my emus.
>>
>>2000688
What are emus like?
>>
>>2000718
Like big slow not so smart cats
>>
>>2000744
>Like big slow not so smart cats
as if "regular" cats are particularly smart
>>
>>2000744
They look a bit scary.
>>
>>2000792
But they're cute when they're babies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ7SQHH4Xoo
>>
Asked in another pet food thread but this one seems to be getting more traffic

I have a 9 month old pit/husky puppy, and he's on the grain free authority puppy kibble, but I want to give him something better. What's the best option out of things I can buy at petsmart? I exercise him plenty but my worry is a food that he would get easily fat on, got a fat lab mix from my parents and don't want the same thing to happen to him
>>
>>2000811
You can see what foods they sell and research them online. There are a few good websites that review different kibbles and talk about their ingredients.
>>
>>2000368
dude, how weak could you possibly be?
>>
>>2000811

Petsmart usually doesn't have a whole lot of variety when it comes to grain-free high quality foods. Simply Nourish, Blue Wilderness, and WellnessCORE are some good ones they typically have in-store.

You might want to look into ordering through Chewy if it's feasible. They have some smaller brands that are just as high quality. Taste of the Wild, Acana, Orijen, that kind of shit.

Just check dog food advisor for whatever you find that fits your budget.
>>
>>2001227
>Orijen
I've heard good things about this, can anyone attest?

my budget is about 50 a month for just food, not counting any of his other expenses
>>
>>2000303
You should check out the 4health brand. The Performance dog food is rated 5 stars and right now just $33/35#
>>
>>2001231
That's a 5 star rating from dogfoodadvisor.com, by the way.
>>
File: IMG_20151117_175318592.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151117_175318592.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
>>2001231
That's what I'm feeding my dog right now. She's on the salmon and potato one.

>>2001230
Orijen is excellent but also crazy expensive. All the ingredients are fresh and sourced locally.
>>
since dogs are carnivores i always figured raw meat would be best for them.... like a flac steak and a little lettuce for roughage
>>
>>2001235
yeah I need to head over to the TSC- I need to pick up some dog food for my ratties. I was really shocked how good it seems for the price.. I was looking at petsmart and it's like holy shit $15/4# for an okay dog food.
>>
>>2001237
I don't know specifically about dogs, but lettuce is trash nutritionally. mostly water.
>>
>>2001238
What dog food do you feed your rats? I have four girls and they're on a lab block but it's expensive for how much you get.
>>
>>2001240
i just mean some type of leafy greens. you could use kale, etc. there is a reason dogs are always eating/nibbling on grass
>>
>>2001249
I buy whatever quality dog food I can get for cheap with a coupon. last bag was nutro senior for $6 because it was on clearance and I had a coupon. I'm going to switch to 4health though, it looks amazing.

if you switch to dog food just make sure you do your research: only about 50% of their food should be dog food :)

I have four girls too! They're a handful.
>>
>>2001253
Dogs eat grass as a method of inducing vomiting
A healthy dog will never eat grass
>>
>>2001258
My dog is healthy and she eats grass every time we go outside. She never pukes after.
>>
>>2001258
Some dogs just like the taste I think
>>
>>2001291
they're probably just hungry from eating all that high-meat, low-filler food.

the reason kibble is mostly grain and trash is so dogs feel full and don't spend the entire day looking for junk to eat.
>>
>>2001297
Tbh I think it just tastes good
>>
I used to feed my dogs various brands of dog food and biscuits, but they were all picky and would often not eat all their food. I now feed them on a raw feed diet which consists of mostly minced chicken (the left over meat and bones from chickens), with beef, tripe or minced offal. I pick this up from my butcher 2 mins from my house and it's cheaper than cheap brand dog food. Sometimes I mix in a little boiled rice or natural yogurt, but dairy shouldn't be regular as dogs can't process it well. It all contains everything a dogs needs with none of the shit in dogs foods. They're noticeably healthier, showing more energy, better coat and best of all, they love eating it. When on this diet you can't feed your dogs any standard dogs foods and treats, cooked meats etc. as it will give them the shits. Big time. You can get all sorts of treats, like raw bones, some people feed their dogs dead chicks with all feathers and shit, but I and my dogs are not big fans. Highly recommended to put your dog on a raw feed diet, just google that shit for more info
>>
>>2001297
No, it's to make the kibble as cheap as possible. That's the primary purpose.
>>
>>2001237
A balanced raw diet is healthiest, but it takes a little more than just throwing a few steaks at your dog.
>>
How bad is textured soy protein in wet dog food? I feed a 5 star kibble but it's expensive as FUCK and I want to her replace her morning meal with cheaper food.

Example of canned food I'm considering.
>http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/retriever-beef-chunks-dinner-dog-food-132-oz
>>
>>2002113
You cut corners on food and you could end up paying more in the long run for health issues.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/retriever-dog-food-canned/
>>
>>2002159
Is soy protein actually bad for dogs though?
>>
>>2001763
>A balanced raw diet is healthiest
>completely unsubstantiated claim
the best you can hope for with raw is that it will be as good as kibble. A pretty big hope when there's strong risk of food-borne illness and malnutrition.

the only benefits raw seems to offer are completely useless and subjective ones like "glossier coat" and "drier, more compact poops."
>>
>>2002204
>I have never researched and fed a raw diet so I have no idea what I'm talking about
>>
I don't know why would you want to buy kibble when you can just get your dog meat/organ meat and whatever veggies it will eat.

It's cheaper and healthier, kibble micronutrient bio-availability is probably abysmal.
>>
I mean the problem with dog kibble is that you don't know what goes into it. They might claim that it has a ton of, say, protein and zinc or whatever it is a dog needs, but that protein might be fucking indigestible collagen with elemental fucking zinc that literally passes through the dog.

So the label states something like "150mg zinc per kg of doog food" but in reality your dog is getting 0 of that zinc. It's not conspiracy theories, it's actually a big issue of enriched foods/food supplements made for humans as well.

Finally, even if the pack says something like "real beef protein!" that just means that your kibble has 1% beef protein, 49% soy protein and 50% ground up hooves and hair and shit, DEPENDING on your state laws regarding food labeling.
>>
>>2002338
I have researched and ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT feed raw.

you do what you like. I'll go right on thinking you're an abusive owner for risking your dog's health like that.
>>
Check ingredients.
It's probably all made in China and or full of corn with some garbage by-product meal.
>>
>>2002399
You're a pussy.
Dogs are carnivores and naturally eat raw meat. you don't see wolves cooking their kill over open flame.
Raw is amazing.

If you're scared still, because you're a faggot.
Find freezedried raw.
Or Orijin.
>>
>>2002533
so when you risk your dog's life for no reason you're "brave" and "totally not a pussy?"

I think you're just an abusive owner.
>>
>>2002549
How are you risking your dog's life?
The acid in a dogs stomach is strong enough to kill of anything scary anyways.
I've worked in the pet food industry, and if you're really scared, there are foods like Stella & Chewies that has some kind of treatment done to it to kill off anything scary but keep all the same nutrients.
Don't be so scared.
I'm not saying raw is for everyone, but it's a damn good option.

What do you feed your dog?
>>
>>2001227
Blue Buffalo has 8 lawsuits against them right now for not correctly advertising ingredients in their food. Including by-product meal and ingredients from China.

If you're looking for a good/affordable food, look for Fromm.
>>
>>2002553
>The acid in a dogs stomach is strong enough to kill of anything scary anyways.
see, you say stupid shit like this and expect people to trust you?

you pretend you've done your "research" and you still don't know dogs can and do die from salmonella, e. coli, and other foodborne illnesses?
>>
>>2002562
Thats like saying "my car is safe."
You can still die in it if the conditions cause for that.
Raw is a great food for dogs.
If you're dog is a POS and unheathy/has a weak immune system, why feed it?
Stick to the shitty Iams I know you're feeding your dog.

Acid in a dog's stomach CAN kill all of those things you listed. That's why it's important to know where your dog food is coming from. There are tons of Raw diets on the market that have been safe for years.

You're a butthole.
>>
Dogs can tolerate bacteria that humans can't. Even with that being true, fresh, healthy meat isn't dangerous and the bacteria count is nil. It wont hurt dogs or humans.

I could eat a raw cow that was freshly killed or frozen/thawed at a safe temp and be perfectly fine, because bacteria is mostly present in old or unsafely stored meats.
>>
>>2002563
it's a preventable death and you CHOOSE not to prevent it. You're simply a bad owner.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677&aid=2407
>>
My aussie gets Rachael Ray Zero Grain, he is in excellent health and the vet agrees.[
>>
>>2002627
So use an HPP'd raw diet. Shit, Nature's Variety underwent AAFCO feeding trials for their raw formulas. Feed that to your dog and come back to me in six months and tell me your dog is not healthier than when you started.
>>
>>2002638
>confirmation bias
why are all the trendy-diet people so weak in the head?

there are no known health benefits to feeding raw, and considerable known risks.

you are an abusive owner.
>>
>>2002643
GTFO troll
>>
>>2002627
Says one biased website.

It's not a trend. It's science!
>>
>>2002637
Enjoy your Chinese ingredients, faggot.
>>
>>2002652
>>2002654
If you actually cared about your pets you'd research the subject yourself.

ignoring me pissing you off for just one minute and check for yourself that dogs can and do die from food poisoning contracted from raw meat.

then you can stop lying to yourselves and others. Feed raw if you want, but don't fucking pretend it's healthier.
>>
>>2000368
Wow you are weak as fuck. It's only 40 lbs fa.m
>>
I have to go with >>2002662 on this one. tried feeding my dog a "tested" raw diet and he got extremely sick, it was fucking horrible. vet told me that's why she never reccomemdeds raw diets
>>
Try all pet food yourself first. Then you may give it to your animal
>>
>>2002637
rachael ray as in that tv show? what the fuck?
>>
>>2000318
Ive done the same. Now i have one Twinkie like dog and one Auschwitz like dog. I normally buy high quality food, but my anorexic dog doesnt like it. I was on a linch last pay period and had to buy cheaper food and she gobbles it down.

Hey, if shell it, why disrupt it, right?
I'll still try to find alternatives lol
>>
>>2002760
People love celeb endorcements. It's such garbage!
>>
>>2002662
Dogs have gotten sick and died from kibble too.

If you store and handle meat properly, the risk is extremely low.
>>
Does anybody have any thoughts on Magnusson?

>Composition:
Whole wheat flour, processed animal protein (beef and pork), animal fat (pork), dried potato pulp, brewers yeast.

Analytical constituents:

Crude protein 25%, crude fat 12%, crude fibre 2%, carbohydrates (NFE) 45,5%, minerals (inorganic matters) 6,5% (of which calcium 1,3% and phosphorus 1,0%), water 9%.

Metabolisable energy:
1420 kJ/100 g (according to the Swedish Board of Agriculture)

Additives (added nutrients per kg):

Vitamins: Vitamin A 12000 IE, Vitamin D3 1200 IE, Vitamin E 120 IE, Vitamin C L-Ascorbic acid 50 IE, Thiamine B1 8 mg, Riboflavin B2 10 mg, Pantothenic acid B5 20 mg, Niacin B3 50 mg, Pyridoxine B6 6 mg, Folic acid 1 mg, Biotin H 0,3 mg, Cyanocobalamin B12 0,1 mg, Choline 1500 mg.
Trace elements: Iron FE (Ferrous sulphate) 200 mg, Copper Cu (Copper sulphate) 15 mg, Manganese Mn (Manganese oxide) 40 mg, Zinc Zn (Zinc oxide) 200 mg, Iodine I (Calcium iodine) 2 mg, Selenium Se (Sodium selenite) 0,2 mg.
>>
>>2003332
or Bellfor? I did some comparing and this seems pretty good:

>Chicken meat Freshly harvested sweet potatoes sweet potato flour freshly harvested pea Turkey meat Poultry fat Duck Freshly harvested tomatoes Freshly harvested carrots, beet pulp (Sugar), whole egg Salmon Oil Cranberry Inulin (FOS), yucca schidigera extract Glucosamine Chondroitin Taurine MOS (Prebiotics), Methionine Lysine L-carnitine

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bellfor.info%2FMuensterlaender-Landschmaus%2FFORSTBACH-SCHMAUS-5-6-7.html%23tab_fragment_1&edit-text=
>>
>>2003333
Both are shit, way too high in carbohydrates.
>>
Is there any actual evidence that corn is bad for dogs? I'm sick of paying out of my ass for taste of the wild. Considering just switching to average kibble. It meets AAFCO standards and has all the vitamins, so why could it be bad?
>>
>>2004522
depends what you mean by "bad for dogs."

corn is highly digestible, so it's an extremely cheap source of calories.

just like in people though, it requires large amounts of insulin to deal with. I'm not sure but I think this is a cause of diabetes?

that's not corn-specific though. the same problem would come from rice or wheat or any grain or carb.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.