[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of this? Say I go to the dog park to play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 3bYExau.jpg (62 KB, 600x598) Image search: [Google]
3bYExau.jpg
62 KB, 600x598
What do you think of this?

Say I go to the dog park to play with, pet, and get used to dogs again. My life is very animal free. Frankly kind of hate it. I have no money to care for a pet.

So what would you think if I went to the dog park and asked permission to pet or play with your dog, with your supervision? Because I sure as fuck don't have the time or money for my own.
>>
Volunteer at your local animal shelter
>>
>>1999794
I've read and talked to people who say that is misleading. They worked at places that did not allow them to actually play with the animals. Disappointment!
>>
>>1999792
Animals aren't for your personal gratification. You sound like a shitter. If anything, be a dog walker.
>>
>>1999801
Not that guy, but you can always go in just to visit.

Anyway, I'd let you play with my dog provided you didn't look like a creeper.
>>
>>1999792
It is a bit odd but I've seen people come into the dog park and hang out without having a dog. Most don't stay for long since they usually just come in to ask questions about somebody's dog, what kind is is, where did you get it, how old that kind of shit. Some of them will also pet and play with the dogs a little bit though too. The only people I don't like are the people that bring kids into the park to play with the dogs. My two are really good with kids but we have a few dogs that are afraid of kids and weird around them and a lot that are hyper and will knock kids down. It isn't that uncommon for an adult to get knocked down either. Two 100lbs dogs chasing each other around and not paying attention to where they are going can be a little dangerous.
>>
>>1999831
Most animal shelters hate people that do that because it takes away from people who are genuinely interested in adopting. It's not socially appropriate to do that. I remember a weird fat guy in the cat house of my local shelter that would collect the kittens and sit there petting them like an autist.
>>
>>1999846
Really? I go pet all the animals at my shelter and the response I get is "they love that, they need all the love they can get". How could it take away from people who are genuinely interested in adopting? I've been doing this for a year now at the shelter across the street from me and they know me and say hi to me. Provided, I don't go all the time, more like once a month or two.
>>
>>2000080
For the reason that if you are there most people understand that you are there for the purpose of seeking to adopt a pet. Your presence is under the guise that you are interested in adoption and your playing is a process of evaluating a pet. You aren't actually doing that and while you play with the shelter animals it further decreases their small window of opportunity of getting adopted and reaching the time limit to be put down.
>>
>>2000080
>>1999846
>>2000147
doesn't it help socialize them though? i imagine the shelter people are probably pretty busy and don't always have time to work on making all the dogs super adoptable friendly
>>
I wouldn't allow you to touch my dog lol get your own one
>>
I'd let you touch my weasels.
>>
OP go volunteer and a shelter. Find a nice big one though, it'll involve a bit of cleaning as well, but they let you pat the dogs and take them for walks.
>>
>>2000162
No it doesn't. Most animals that are presented for adoption are socialized already and have aloted time where a volunteer or employee will exercise and spend time with each animal. The ones that aren't socialized are kept away from the visitors pens and are worked on by staff and if deemed unadoptable most shelters bump up their euthanasia date. So no, you playing with animals at the shelter for your own amusement is wasting everyone's time.
>>
>>1999846
I've volunteered at the largest humane society in my state and encourage people who come just to visit. There's a care worker that brings a retarded guy every week for an hour or two (he's very well-behaved). The HS itself has also mentioned people coming to visit in a positive fashion on their Facebook page.

Maybe it depends on the facility, or is a kill vs. no-kill difference. But people "just visiting" sometimes do turn into adopters, and unless they're mishandling the animals they're at least giving positive attention to creatures that are otherwise being cooped up and largely isolated in dull cages all day.
>>
>>1999801
Volunteer to socialize the dogs, not as an actual shelter worker. Many shelters I've been to are often looking for people to just drop in and socialize/exercise/walk with the dogs, depending on the location and whatnot. Just walk in and tell them you'd like to spend some time with dogs, and if there's any they have that need some extra attention.
>>
>>1999792

I wouldn't have a problem with it. My dog is friendly and I want him to be socialized as much as possible. I'd let you toss a stick for him or whatever.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.