[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greyhounds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: greyhound_h05.jpg (36 KB, 400x450) Image search: [Google]
greyhound_h05.jpg
36 KB, 400x450
I'm considering getting a greyhound. Anyone have any experience owning one?
>>
Pretty big knot compared to length
>>
>>1999623
this is correct, it is a nice size
>>
>>1999657
bend over and take it up the ass like a good fag
>>
File: welcometoan.png (217 KB, 1414x464) Image search: [Google]
welcometoan.png
217 KB, 1414x464
>>
File: 1433798125596.jpg (293 KB, 621x621) Image search: [Google]
1433798125596.jpg
293 KB, 621x621
>>1999685
>youtsuba
>>
>>1999685

saved.

>>1999613

They're huge couch potatoes but they can be a challenge to take to like dog parks and stuff because they can be prone to biting.
>>
>>1999613
I do. They are great if you live in an apartment. They sleep all day and are quiet. However you do need to let them go to an enclosed field to let them burn off their racing instinct a couple times a week.
>>
>>1999694
>>1999796
Yeah my neighbors bitched about my last dog (Dalmatian) barking too much, so I'm looking something quieter and still short haired. I have an enclosed yard here, and would take it running too. Good to know they don't really get along with other dogs either. Thanks!
>>
>>1999935
what happened to your dalmatian?
>>
Take them for a walk a day, try for at least 45 min total. Great lovely dogs need coats in cold weather love being lazy on couch
>>
>>1999970
It almost got sick!
>>
>>1999685
r/4chan XD
>>
>>1999613
Ask Russ McKamey kek
>>
File: 20130127_011806.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20130127_011806.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1999935
It really just depends on the individual. Mine is fine with other breeds. He's been licked on the nose by a great dane and a lab puppy and didn't care.
>>
Bump because
>>
>>1999685
I just wanted to note that this is the first thread I've visited since coming to /an/
Thanks! I do feel welcomed!
>>
I love greyhounds and salukis but would never own one, they're coursing dogs, that means they have a high prey drive and can run fast as fuck, I couldn't leave such a specimen on a 3m lead and I couldn't let such a specimen off the lead to go and get lost or chase some rodent (or cat, or rodent sized dog) into traffic. It's definitely a big undertaking to have such an animal. If you do however find a way to exercise it effectively (jogging doesn't cut it, these are performance animals up there with cheetahs and great whites) then in the down time they apparently make amazing solo pets, very affectionate and calm.
>>
I don't know if my dog was representative of all greyhounds, but

He was excessively lazy, liked to sleep, and was generally a super comfy dog.

Friendly towards people that we accepted into our house or nice people on walks. However, he could sense uneasiness, and when my mom was freaked out on a walk by some creeper, he started growling.

Liked to walk until he was older. He was a rescue greyhound, and they train them to walk exceptionally well on leashes. He would be good for a walk in the morning, then crash and sleep the rest of the day.

We tried to get one that was good with cats, since we had cats at the time. At first he chased them, but one of our cats absolutely slashed his nose up, and he gained a bit more respect after that. Eventually, they were great together, always friendly and played together.

He was a big softie with people, but wasn't a pushover. We had him stay with another family that had greyhounds when we went on a vacation once. They had gotten a new rescue greyhound, and the new greyhound was a bit cheeky and aggressive. Our dog apparently one day had enough and nearly ripped the other dog's ear off. He wasn't a pushover when it came to defending himself.

All in all, our dog was great. Great walker, good with people, well behaved usually (in the beginning, he had a penchant for chewing on shit, but he got over it), and generally pretty gentle and loving. Honestly a great dog, and I hope to get another one one day.

Note that they're prone to cancers and shit, and don't usually live much more than 10 or 12 years, so you'll have to be prepared to go through that pain more often than with a small dog.
>>
>>2002319
Oh, another thing. They're sighthounds, and they tend to get tunnel vision when focusing on things and lose track of where they are. We had a schnauzer that could always find its way back, never any trouble and was smart as fuck, but our greyhound would get lost easily. Had a couple of times where we had to look for him, found him once in an apartment complex a couple of blocks away, trotting happily around smelling things. It's like it never occured to him that he wasn't home.

Alot of greyhound owners and rescue associations recommend never letting them off a leash cause they're incredibly fast and you'll never catch them. I'd say it depends on the dog--after a while, our dog was mellowed out and didn't really chase prey very often, so we could let him off the leash and he'd stick around us cause he knew we had food. Just play it by ear and make the decision on an individual dog basis.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.