[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do turtles lose their instinct to hunt and eat if they've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: frito.jpg (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
frito.jpg
24 KB, 500x500
Do turtles lose their instinct to hunt and eat if they've been in captivity a long time?

Some guy was giving away a turtle and aquarium on FB. I'm going to use the aquarium for fish and was going to let the turtle go in a pond behind my house but I don't want him to starve to death.
>>
Maybe instinct isn't what I meant, more like skill
>>
Yeah, they pretty much do. That may also not be the correct habitat for his species even if he were skilled. And supposing it was there would already be turtles there that will out compete. Get a different tank, keep it, or find if a separate home. If you won't give up the tank then at least just kill the turtle instead of releasing
>>
>>1998633
Well that sucks

I have an old tub I can keep him in
>>
>>1998636

That's fine, he doesn't need anything fancy.
>>
File: 1334329164853.jpg (18 KB, 366x380) Image search: [Google]
1334329164853.jpg
18 KB, 366x380
>>1998624
>releasing a potentially invasive species into the local ecosystem
seriously?
>>
>>1998649
It's one turtle, one of a species can't breed.
>>
>>1998649
>YFW I've moved hundreds of random freshwater mussels all over the place
>>
>>1998669
just an hero
>>
>>1998670
Don't even get me started on transplanted toads.

I'm thinking about taking a bag of kudzu seeds to Hawaii next trip around.
>>
>>1998677
>I'm thinking about taking a bag of kudzu seeds
Pretty sure they already have it, so it wouldn't make a difference.
>>
>>1998658
Thousands of people who released their pet red eared sliders thought the same way. Now we have colonies of them everywhere.
>>
>>1998677
>muh autism
>>
>>1998624
>Turtles
>Hunt
I'm not sure anything even the carnivorous sea turtles do can be described as "hunting".
>>
>>1998624
Make sure you appropriately identify that turtle and only release it if it's actually native to your area.
>>
>>1999114
well, you don't know very much about turtles.
>>
>>1999116
He could still introduce illnesses that the native population isn't adapted to deal with. Releasing pets into the wild is never a good idea.
>>
Too late, already released it
>>
>>1999131
That is true. I'd probably still do it if I knew it was native. I might test it for pathogens first, but probably not.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.