[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my cat has gone missing yet again. He is an outdoor cat and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
So my cat has gone missing yet again. He is an outdoor cat and we let him come and go from the house as he pleases during the day. He has gone missing several times since we got him 11 years ago; the last time being out for over a week before he came back on his own as if nothing had happened. I've decided that if he does come back that I am never letting him outside again and reintroducing him to the litter box so I don't have to deal with the stress of maybe never seeing him again

Is is possible to do this to a cat who is already technically a senior? Could it have any kind of negative impact on him?

Pic sort of related; my cat looks pretty similar but with a black spot on his head and his tail complete black
>>
>So my cat has gone missing yet again
>again
> He is an outdoor cat
only legit response you're going to get is it's dead and that's all you deserve as shit owner.
>>
>>1997710

Yeah, it should be fine. Obviously the biggest issue is mental stimulation, so find toys he likes and play with him as much as you can. As a senior he should be slowing down more anyway, so it's for the best.

He won't like it to start with, but with any luyck he'll get over it. Take him outside sometimes, but watch him and don't let him run out of the yard and give him a stand near a window to look out of.
>>
>>1997712
Bugguy, my cats go missing all the time, and always come back, stop being an ass on all these posts, kill yourself
>>
>>1997755
>my cats do this
>so all cats do this!
That's not how it works, tripfag
>>
>>1997710
Don't worry OP, they'll be back but DONT keep them inside, they are outside cats, and will tear the shit out of your house if you make them inside cats
>>
>>1997710
>Is is possible to do this to a cat who is already technically a senior? Could it have any kind of negative impact on him?

Yes, he can learn to use litter box. He shouldn't have been outdoors to start with as it's a grand way to catch disease or death.

The only negative I can see is having to litter train him. Not having to be in the cold, wet, dangerous outdoors will be welcoming to him, especially at his age.
>>
>>1998099
In addition, make sure you get him a scratching post or trim his nails. If he was declawed, please kill yourself for sending a declawed cat outdoors. Thank you.
>>
>leave your cat unattended outdoors
>it goes missing

the fuck did you expect you dumb nigger
>>
>>1997710
>outdoor cat
>missing again

good, let's hope it's dead
>>
File: 9283659826359625923.jpg (38 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
9283659826359625923.jpg
38 KB, 450x450
>keeping a cat under lock and key trapped in the house for it's whole life
>>
>>1998156
>keeping a cat

fixed it for you
>>
>>1997755
>I neglect my cats all the time and they aren't dead yet!

you sound like the majority of bad turtle/tortoise keepers 'it's been in my care for years! surely I must be doing something right!'

yet here we are and people like that guy with the turtle in the plastic tub with no lights, no swimming space and a single rock that doesn't even get above water exists and almost every sulcata in captivity has MBD.

that your cats aren't dead yet, doesn't mean you're taking proper care of them, and you're not, if you were to do this to any other pet you'd get arrested for animal abuse, it's actually against the leash-law in most of the first world except for britbongia but no one enforces it.

throwing domesticated animals outdoors to fend for themselves unsupervised is severe neglect.
>>
>>1998156

>Implying cats give a shit
>>
He still hasn't come back. He's been gone since Tuesday. Other then putting up flyers, calling up shelters and all the other standard stuff what else can I do to find him?
>>
>>1998564
Put out some food and something with your scent on it, like an old sweatshirt. The scent could attract him back.
>>
>>1998564
Wait for him to come back, if he's always been an outdoor cat he knows what he's doing.
>>
>>1998619
At one point I had two. The other one went missing one day years ago and never came back. I fear that this will happen again. Really I should have learned my lesson with the first one but our house is so small and they would always try to escape when we would open the door so we just gave up one day and let him out
>>
>>1998653
>cat handle the truth

All cats want to go outside and kill birds.
>>
>>1998619
>he knows what he's doing.
cats don't know what they're doing, they die constantly and lose 75%+ of their lifespan by going outside.

there hasn't been a day that I didn't see 'missing cat' folders, usually to see a cat that looks like it laying on the side of the highway nearby being eaten by a bunch of jackdaws.
>>
>>1997712
Stop being an ass, if you read OP's post you would know he has the intention to never let his cat out again.
>>
>>1997710
>get a cat
>let him out of your sight 90% of the time
I will never understand this
>>
>>1998701
>we let him come and go from the house as he pleases during the day
>has gone missing yet again
>He has gone missing several times since we got him 11 years ago
sure thing.

it's roadkill by now.
>>
>>1997710
A cat has nine lives man
>>
>>1997710

Please tell me you don't live in Washington...
>>
>>1998673
Fuck off
>>
Still not back yet. Filled up a bottle of my own piss and spread it around outside near my house because I read somewhere that this might work in attracting the cat back home. Hope it works
>>
>>1998701
Good.
>>
>>1998703
I agree

>>1999599
LOL
>>
>>1997710
Wow, I am in the exact same boat as you.

We have a cat who is rather old now (12 years?) and has been an outdoor cat all his life. We recently moved to an apartment on a busy road, so he no longer has the safety of the rural area we used to live in while outdoors.

We haven't let him out since we have moved and it's been an adjustment. He keeps trying to claw a hole in our window screens so he can jump out (he did this at the old house when we tried to stop him from going out).

He is getting used to using the litter box with two other cats, but has went on the floor a few times. I find if I keep the litter very clean, he will use it without any issue, but if there's waste from the other cats he is not happy.

Aside from the screen-tearing and him staring longingly out the window, we are getting a long pretty well.

As for negative impacts, I am sure he will put on a bit of weight due to decreased exercise, but at least I won't have my cat plastered all over the road!
>>
>>2000553
>so he no longer has the safety of the rural area
it no longer has the safety of being eaten by an owl and dying within seconds.

instead it has to slowly succumb on the side of the road alone after it's been hit by a car.

>He is getting used to using the litter box
it's been 12 years and you still haven't given your cat the most basic training in the existence of pets.

lol
o
l
>>
> Hurr cats should not be allowed to go outside!
> Hurr it will get diseases
> Durr your cat will die in a fight or get run over
> Whurrrr you are a bad owner when you let your cat go outside
> Turrr someone think of the burds
> Bluuuhrrr cats should be kept inside

Fuck

You

Guys
>>
My neighbour has two outdoor cats and one of them has been stuck in our roof for three days now after getting in when our roof tiles were getting replaced. If he isn't road kill go ask your fucking neighbours if they've seen him you iijit. This ass in my roof just makes me hate outdoor cats even more. All he's done is eat the little food we've offered to try to get him down, shit and piss in our roof and try to attack my arm when i try to grab him. If you ever get another cat keep it the fuck inside you dickhole. Jfc.
>>
>>1998162
mfw actual rational agreeable post from bugguy
>>
It's been over a week now. How long is a reasonable amount to wait before I kill myself due to grieff?
>>
>>2000605

>OP lets cat outside
>Cat escapes, possibly dead
>get upset at people telling you telling you too keep your cat inside for it's own safety..

Wut
>>
File: 1437687719648.jpg (33 KB, 500x428) Image search: [Google]
1437687719648.jpg
33 KB, 500x428
>>1997710
your cat may or may not come back home
>>
Even though I hate outdoor cats I hope you find your cat back op
>>
>>2000553
>He is getting used to using the litter box with two other cats, but has went on the floor a few times. I find if I keep the litter very clean, he will use it without any issue, but if there's waste from the other cats he is not happy.
Standard advice from animal behaviorists is that you should have one more litterbox than you have cats. It's no wonder why your cat's shitting on the floor if it's being forced to share with two others.
>>
I hope you find your cat! One of my cats is from the streets and she looks like that cat in the op but she has a couple brown spots on her head and a calico tail.
>>
>>2000605
would you let your dog roam free outside?

>>2001397
do you not learn your lesson the first time it went missing?
>>
>>1997710
>outdoor cat
no such thing
>>
How much longer should I wait? It's been close to two weeks now
>>
>>2002764

you can wait the rest of your life if you want. take this as a not-so-subtle reminder that cats should be kept indoors
>>
I love my cat but he is really annoying. He is an indoor cat but he cries all the time to go outside. I let him outside a few times a day and he stays in the backyard. When he is inside he is always crying to go outside. Does anyone have any solutions for this? all of my outdoor cats have died in the past so i really want to keep him inside.
>>
>>2002807
Harness and leash. Or build a large outside cage for him.
>>
>>2000630
I know right? He didn't even come off as a condencending asshole either. Maybe he's sick.
>probably has the goat aids
>>
>>2002764
Wait at the nearest car wash. Someone has to scrap it off.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.