[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Pet Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20150815_231518782.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150815_231518782.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
I'm a 20 year old living alone for the first time and I would like to get a pet but don't know what animal's human I want to be. What are some animals that aren't too expensive to purchase or maintain as well as affectionate?
>>
>>1997216
Bearded Dragon
>>
House rabbit
>>
https://youtu.be/gmDcx86qU4k
>>
I've always wanted a bearded dragon or a crested gecko. Bunny seems like a good option too
>>
Get yourself a good cat, Anon. Check your Craigslist-Pets for cats. Check for ones that have some kind of description of personality, and look for a friendly, chill cat. They make great apartment pets. Ideally, they should be indoor only cats so you can keep them safe from the parking lot of doom surrounding most apartments.
>>
File: rat tube.jpg (39 KB, 816x460) Image search: [Google]
rat tube.jpg
39 KB, 816x460
>>1997216
Rats are mega cheap to own and care for, they're smart and they're cuddly. Get two of the same gender and shoot for younger ones if possible or well-raised older rats.

You can find a decent cage at most thrift shops for under $30 if you look. Pet stores and shelters sometimes have rescue rats that come with cages. Don't use aquariums (poor airflow) or plastic water bottles (can cause bacteria issues), use glass water bottles and wire cages. If you're broke use old newspaper for bedding and dryer lint so they can make a nest. If you're broke clean their cage with vinegar water and paper towels or designated "rat cage sponges" or you can use fancy "cage cleaner" with the same techniques. Rats love toilet paper tubes and tissue boxes. Creative broke people will always have happy rats.

They can eat human bread, grains, fruits and veggies in addition to food blocks and they adore coffee. Don't give them cheese, chocolate or anything fatty. They do gnaw on things, but putting wooden ANYTHING in their cage will fix that. Old wooden kids toys, faded bird toys, popsicle sticks and more all keep rats entertained and gnawing. If given enough gnaw-toys they don't gnaw on anything else.

Feed them by hand and give them love. They can learn to eat from your hand if you leave food flat in your palm. They'll learn to be mellow and will ride your shoulder. My rats used to chill at the nape of my neck just inside my collar while I was working and would tug my clothes or pace along my shoulder to let me know when they wanted to go home. I owned rats for over a decade and never had any of them bite anyone.

Rats are a perfect kind of broke "living alone" first pet. I can't recommend them enough.
>>
>>1997272
Wow thanks for the great post anon, I had never really considered them but after that I definitely will
>>
>>1997285
Different anon, but I also recommend rats to people who don't want to spend a lot of money. I love DIY- there's no end to the ways you can get creative when you own rats. I lucked out and got 4 very sweet rats and a ferret cage off craigslist for $50.

I won't own a dog until I'm not poor because I want to be responsible with it, and that costs a lot of money- getting them fixed, shotted, groomed, emergency vet costs- and that's if they don't have any chronic issues. Rats have a short life span- which is both a pro and a con. A pro because it's less commitment/responsibility, and a con because you only get to spend ~3 years with a precious friend.
>>
just get some sneks

THE SCALIES ARE GOOD

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>1999515
gtfo scalieposter
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.