[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would plants from other planets look like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
What would plants from other planets look like?
>>
near exact copies of troll dolls, various generations of iMac, ikea furniture
>>
>>1996358
If I were a biologist and I were given all of the parameters like "This color sun, these minerals in the soil, this much water, this much space, this kind of atmosphere, etc" it might be possible to guess. And that's assuming alien planets plants would evolve the same mechanism as ours. Chemistry is too creative an engineer for that though.
>>
>>1996358
>>1996450
Right. It is entirely dependant on the environment.
>>
Who says there would even be "plants"? Remember that there are multiple different types of life forms on our planet alone, many of which utilize the sun in their own way.
>>
they wouldn't be classified as plants.
>>
>>1998265
>many of which utilize the sun in their own way.
except fungi.
>>
Assuming you are talking about organisms that operate on similar processes as plants do here, I imagine they'd look rather familiar to us. There is so much diversity in plant life here. There are plants that have evolved to live in just about any environment our world has to throw at them.

Also, assuming these organisms use the same processes and are made from the same elements/materials in the same temperature range, I really think we'd see some remarkably identical species to ones we have here. There are only so many efficient solutions to basic problems of survival, which plants have had a very long time to perfect.

Why would something somewhere else try and reinvent the wheel just to be different and exotic when there really is one easy/efficient solution?

The real differences would come from organisms that exist based on different materials, temperatures, systems etc. So essentially things we would not define as "plants" in our current understanding of them.
>>
>>1998267
>many
>>
>>1998267
But don't fungi also use sun, only indirectly by using things produced ultimately by sun's energy?
>>
>>1998267
Lichen could be an exception to that, though I guess it's the algae/cyanobacteria that's doing the work.
>>
>>1996358
>tfw you will never have extraterrestrial plant life in your home
>tfw you will never go to space or other planets
;_;
>>
>>1996358
Like a Venus fly trap. They would probably talk and sing too.
>>
>>1998358

except BIGGER! because everything is larger on alien worlds, obviously
>>
>>1998340
let's classify species by the individual atoms they're made from while we're at it.

every classification would be an entire book.
>>
>>1998385
fuck off
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.