[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Skinny dog help!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Hope-SkinnyDog2w.jpg (15 KB, 235x274) Image search: [Google]
Hope-SkinnyDog2w.jpg
15 KB, 235x274
Hey, /an/ I really really need your help, I am a "foster mom" for a dog, Tossie is he's name. he is at my place from 7 in the morning till latest 10 and earliest five. From Monday till Friday. He usually comes in the weekend too, but that is more random, like the owners will knock on my door two seconds before leaving, and placing him with me, usually not telling when they'll be home. (i don't mind this though so that is not the problem)
my problem is they don't give me any food to feed him with. i of course feed him myself i own a dog too, so he gets what my own dog gets, my problem is just that my dog is overweight so he's food is "slimming, not fat" blabla, but Tossie is like very opposite he is very very skinny, have actually lost weight the last couple of weeks, even though i do everything i can to make him fatter.
The owners feed him with something that should be high in protein, but i don't really think it help.
Well and as you can read i spend more time with Tossie than they do themselves, So i kinda decided that my goal is to make him gain weight. Because he really needs it!

So /an/ How do i proceed? how the fuck do i make him gain weight, he really needs it!
>>
>>1993716
Please someone help.
Tossie really needs to put on weight,
he freezes all the time and it's just very unhealthy for him to be that skinny.
i feed him about 200 grams dog food in the morning, then i feed him throughout the day with human food, like meat etc. so he can put on weight but it doesn't seem to help, i'll again feed him about 200 gram food when it's dinner time. I don't know what the owners feed him when he is home. all i know is that they say he's food is high in protein
>>
>>1993716
>>1993738
He is a English toy/Dwarf Pincher, mixed with a dachshund . He has very long legs and is almost perfectly build for running.
so he isn't a big dog but not a small one either, i would say he sould weigh about 10 - 15 kg, maybe 20. but he does not weigh close to that, he weighs at least 10 kg to little
>>
His owners sound like they don't have enough time or desire to properly care for their dog.

Not giving you his food when you take care of him 10 hours a day seems unreasonable.
>>
>>1993740
>His owners sound like they don't have enough time or desire to properly care for their dog.

I know they don't really have the time, that's why i step in instead, because it's a wonderful dog, so he is never alone

>Not giving you his food when you take care of him 10 hours a day seems unreasonable.

Well i have brought this up, because it's expensive to feed two dogs, i buy 4 kg dog food for 36 dollars. But the owners keeps forgetting to bring he's food.

i don't mind feeding him, or taking care of him, i almost have a mini zoo already, and have been taking care of him the last 6 months so i love him as was he's my own, but i just don't know how to get him to gain weight, is there some food that really helps? or
>>
>>1993716

I used to feed my underweight foster dogs three meals a day, starting with little and increasing the amount of food over time. Cooked rice and chicken is a good alternative if you don't know what to feed (in addition to their wet/dry food). I gave them things like dried pigs ears or bones every other day too.

Protein is good and all but in your case I think the dog needs some carbohydrates in addition to that. Try mixing his food with cooked rice, potates, watered down oatmeal. Or add a third meal. In between meals a cup of jogurt, cottage cheese with oatmeal/potatoes can help too.
>>
>>1993761
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Well i guess i should go out and buy some other dog food, so my own dog and my foster dog doesn't share food. buy some yogurt and cook rice so i can mix he's food with it, i already give him a lot of chicken and meat/ fat from meat so i'll continue this as well.
i read somewhere that dog's shouldn't eat to much wheat products, but i guess it's because it can make them fat? so in this case i should feed him, wheat snacks and so?
>>
>>1993761
Don't give your dog excess carbs, if he's as emaciated as your picture he needs to build muscle, not just indiscriminate fat. A good food for weight gain is Wild Calling canned food, it's fairly inexpensive and is very calorie-dense. I specifically recommend their lamb formula, because lamb is well known for feeding heavy.

You should also pressure the owners go get him to the vet because there could be an underlying medical condition for his weight loss, cancer is famous for presenting like this.

When you have a chance could you post some pictures? Ideally top-down and straight-on from the side. That way we can get an idea of how underweight were talking about.
>>
>>1993771

Thank you for taking care of the dog. Most people wouldn't care to take some responsibility.

The wheat thing- I've read that too, but there are positive sides to adding carbohydrates to the food. It delivers energy and thats what the dog (especially yours) needs. Wheat has such a bad reputation because people forgot that it shouldn't make up the majority of the dogs nutrition. Eventually dogs developed allergies to wheat. It's about balance I guess. Don't feed wheat if the dog is allergic to wheat of course.

Yes, feed him snacks but don't stuff him with bread and potatoes. My dogs liked oatmeal and yogurt, give it a try and see what happens (digestion). If you want to mix it up a little you could buy some dried animal "parts" like bull pizzles (every dog loves those).
And add carbs to normal meals.

A general tip: when you buy the food just look at the labels, the carbs shouldn't be in first place. If they are, that would mean that the food is mainly wheat based, don't buy that, it's thrown out money.
>>
>>1993783
it's not as bad as the picture, but i'll post some of him later, so you can see him!
thank you so much for the advice!
>>1993784
You shouldn't thank, i'm sure others would have done the same! it's an animal they need someone to take care of them, and i'm just glad i have the opportunity to get to know this wonderful dog and be a part of his life, so i feel like i owe him the best!
he often get these chew bones with stuff inside them, which makes him really happy, but he can chew on it all day and then he don't want to eat.
I'm uncertain if i should make him eat more or if i should feed him more.
and should i stop walking him more than twice a day?
he is a very active dog so he runs / jumps around like an antelope when off leash
I really appreciate the advice! will write it all down so i don't forget it! thank you so much!
>>
>>1993783
i just realized i have like very few pictures of him, i'll take some tomorrow or Monday when he comes, i'm so sorry for dragging this longer :(
>>
>>1993787

He seems to really enjoy going outside, keep doing that. Since he is so active, it makes sense to feed him more. I don't know how you would make him eat more than what you're giving him anyway.

He seems to be a funny lil guy, looking forward to seeing what he looks like! Glad i could help.
>>
>>1993749
Next time you talk to the owners, suggest that they should buy an extra bag of food to bring to your house, then they don't need to remember to bring his food.
>>
>>1993860
Shoot, I forgot to add.

Make sure he doesn't have any parasites. If he does it doesn't really matter how much food you give him.
>>
>>1993820
he is amazing! looking forward to post pictures!

>>1993860
I have suggested this, have even asked them to please bring some, but they seem to either forget to buy some or bring it all the time. so i'll just buy some myself!
parasites? how do i make sure he hasn't any?
should i bring him to a vet maybe?

and what about my own dog?
>>
>>1993926
Well I'd ask the owners first. Ask about vaccinations, deworming, and when it was last done.

If you can see them depends on the parasite. Some parasites can only be found through testing. Others, like intestinal worms can be seen with the naked eye around the anus, or in the stool. Ticks and fleas can of course be seen with the naked eye, but I really think you would know if he had any.

I wouldn't worry about your dog until you know if their dog has some, If their dog does have some/any, you should have your dog tested as well.
>>
>>1994037
i know he is vaccinated, and it's about six month ago, maybe a couple of months more and all of our dogs got a deworming for about two months ago, and he have a very huge asshole so i know there hasn't been any worms when he has done his thing so i think that can be debunked! I don't know if it's relevant, but he suffers from anxiety, it could be worse but also better, but if people higher their voice he will shake like hell, i know this is because he has experienced his owners fighting (they are going through a break up that have lasted almost three months) so he is very affected by them fighting.
>>
If you can get a hold of goat's milk give him some of that. Won't fuck him up and give him the shit's like cow's milk and it's packed with calories, fat, and protein.

I have a hardgainer Akita and when he's looking too thin I usually get a carton and give it to him over the course of a week.
>>
>>1994386
i can maybe get sheep milk? is that okay?
sorry i haven't posted pictures, i have not remembered to take a photo :c
>>
>>1994386
Actually cow milk is fine as long as it's raw. Answers has a raw cow milk that just came out, nutritionally it has about double the calories of goat milk. Check with your local independent pet store if they carry it. Ultimately, though, you should focus on upping this dog's regular meals. Supplements will not fix the underlying cause.
>>
>>1995179
raw milk?
sorry i don't know what that is, i'm nordic? we have cow's near where i live i can maybe get like fresh milk from milking a cow myself, he'll probably don't mind. But else i buy milk in the store like on milk cartons, um and i buy something that is called sweet milk, that is milk with less water mixed in it, so it's higher in fat?
um and with that pet store stuff, they don't sell stuff like goat milk, they only sell milk substitute
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.