[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are lizards rational human phobias, learned human phobias, or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: bearded dragon.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
bearded dragon.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
Are lizards rational human phobias, learned human phobias, or are they a common phobia at all?. (what about snakes and spiders)
>>
nope
I guess
nope
>nope,yes,yes;nope,yes,yes
>>
>>1992755

Lizards aren't.

Snakes are (people fear the fangs)
Spiders are definitely.
>>
>>1992755
>>1992755
Kids that get to see snakes up close, as in pets or being shown the snakes by others who keep them as pets, are quite alright with the whole thing and don't seem to have any instinctual fear.

However, kids who have had no contact with snakes of any kind, dangerous or safe, do seem to develop a phobia, or at least a bias, by their teens. I blame media for that.
>>
ok thanks just wondering.

(I don't have a phobia of lizards)

Also there was one time I was at a zoo and was nodding at an Iguana and it nodded back and started walking over the glass where I was. But When I put my finger on the glass it would slowly open its mouth and try to grab it.

Was It pissed off at me, or did it think my fingers were carrots?
>>
>>1992790
>nodding at an Iguana
it was pissed
>>
>>1992790
>nodding at an Iguana

You're lucky to be alive.
>>
>>1992799
>>1992801
ok, is that something you should never do to lizards?
>>
Iguana head bob is sort of along the lines of 'u wot m8?' It is a semi aggressive body language but well short of 'cheeky cunt i'll bash yer 'ead in swear'n me mum.'
>>
>>1992810
The later example there is when the tail starts whipping back and forth and mouth is held half open.
>>
>>1992755
>lizards
>rational human phobias

Only if dragons are real
>>
File: how to train your pokemon.jpg (11 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
how to train your pokemon.jpg
11 KB, 299x168
>>1992816
dude, most people want dragons to be real.
>>
>>1992799
>>1992801
>>1992790

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NFBm_brx4Q
>never smile at a crocodile

Same applies to Iguanas...they just lack a catchy tune.
>>
File: abe.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
abe.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
>>1992799
>>1992801
>>1992810

Aww. I want to go to an Iguana and go: Hello, (hello) Follow me ( ok)
>>
All three are absolutely learned phobias.
>>
>>1992826

God I love that game.

*Pffft* Hehehe.
>>
File: absolutely beautiful.jpg (30 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
absolutely beautiful.jpg
30 KB, 512x512
>>1992801
God dammit, I've been here five minutes and I'm having a good time already.
>>
>>1992755
Aww, that thing is so freakin' adorable.

It's so tiny.
>>
File: chill beardie.jpg (276 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
chill beardie.jpg
276 KB, 736x981
>>1992755
>Are lizards rational human phobias, learned human phobias, or are they a common phobia at all?

None of the above. They are qt as fuck.
>>
>>1992819
Only if they had the brains of dogs. Nobody wants a dragon that behaves like a reptile.
>>
I'm scared of cats :(
>>
>>1995924
what a [spoiler]pussy[/spoiler]
>>
>>1992755
>Are lizards rational human phobias
No
>learned human phobias
I guess
>are they a common phobia at all?
Not really, snakes are-
>(what about snakes and spiders)
Ah
>rational
Some snakes are dangerous/lethal, so yeah there's a basis. Same for spiders if you live near a lot dangerous ones.
>learned
Snakes, no people and animals have been killed by them since the beginning of forever, it's probably instinct at this point.
Spiders, kinda, there's evidence it's insticual for a majority of people, like 60-75% of the thousand some guys tested. But it's reinforced more than snakes, and though less commonly dangerous, the idea you could put on a shirt and risk a little fucker having a slight chance of giving you localized necrosis the size of a sand dollar is utterly horrifying. A very slim chance, but still. Fuck that.
>common
Both yes, very yes.
>>
there are no rational phobas.

they're irrational by definition.
>>1998460
there are no dangerous spiders unless you have a compromised immune system.

hurting like fuck isn't the same as dangerous.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 254x352) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 254x352
Oh bugguy...
>there are no rational phobas.
>they're irrational by definition.
There's justified phobias. Which is obviously what op meant.
>there are no dangerous spiders unless you have a compromised immune system.
So there are dangerous spiders. That's like saying they aren't dangerous because they aren't on the same continent as you, therefore you're not in danger.
No shit you aren't in danger, but other people are, dipshit. So yes there are dangerous spiders.
>hurting like fuck isn't the same as dangerous.
You know there is a jellyfish in Australia that causes horrible unending pain for several days, sometimes weeks, right?
I'd say chemical torture is dangerous, but then again I'm not an autistic tripfag.
>inb4 but we weren't talking about jellyfish!
You said "hurting like fuck isn't the same as dangerous.". I'm disagreeing.
Fucking bugguy
>>
>>1998474
>There's justified phobias.
no, there are not. the fucking word means it's unjusified.
>That's like saying they aren't dangerous because they aren't on the same continent as you.
not really. it's more like saying they're not dangerous because the only dangerous ones are fictional. so yeah, bilbo fucking baggins need to watch out for dangerous spiders, but we don't.
>>
>>1998461
What about phobias learned from abuse? Like me with water
>>
>>1998484
shut the fuck up or I'll drown you, you stupid bitch.
>>
>>1998474
>There's justified phobias.
no there's some 'justified fears' although they still make you a huge pussy, phobias are always irrational.

they're also not genetic, they're detrimental to our survival if anything.
>but other people are
if their health is compromised, which means they're not healthy to begin with, and even then only if they don't go to a doctor.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.