[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dachshunds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20151104_224231.jpg (48 KB, 569x574) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151104_224231.jpg
48 KB, 569x574
So, this December we will be introducing a puppy to our lives. My spouse and I have no children, and she desperately wants a pup. She works from home and we had a English Bulldog, whom is no longer with us, in the past. I want to know some Doxie facts, food suggestions and product suggestions and tips from Dachshund owners, if you dont mind? We have our hearts set on a female and we already have her paid for from an experienced breeder in our area who we quickly became friends with. I stalk these boards frequently so I value all opinions. I don't have any experience with a small breed and I heard house breaking will be difficult so do you mind telling me what to watch for?

Respectfully- Me

Pic related: our female pup will be a dapple mini Dachshund
>>
>dapple mini Dachshund
save up for the vet bills
>>
>don't let them jump
>don't let them jump off/on the couch or bed(or anything)
>don't let them use the stairs
>don't get them stairs/ramps to get off/on the bed/couch
>don't let them run around much but you also need to exercise them so they don't get fat
>dapples usually have hearing and eyesight loss, if not going straight up blind/deaf
>don't let them be a dog in general

They are also prone to being very nasty and spoiled unless you are sure to socialize them. Sure this is true for any dog, but dachshunds are just more prone to it. Also if you valued our opinions you would have asked us or did your research first.
>>
>>1992229
Also a lot of dachshunds are territorial and yappy. You will want to train against that.
>>
Ehhh I don't have to ask someone's permission to get a puppy lol either way, we are getting her and I'm pretty excited about it. We have done a lot of research , and after having an English Bulldog with hip issues we know that there is a lot of cost in health issues. Her parents are in excellent health and we actually went and met several breeders as we never did things like this with our English Bulldog when he was with us.

I agree, they are an odd shape, have joint and leg issues along with health issues, but this isn't going to change our minds. I'm asking for tips, not to be punished for choosing a dog breed others hate/disagree with/ don't like.

I mean, come on. They are cute as fuck. And pretty awesome as adults as well. We are willing to take the time, money, and commitment to make her an excellent pet and friend. I just want tips and tricks from experienced owners.
>>
File: IMG_0522.jpg (758 KB, 1170x1170) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0522.jpg
758 KB, 1170x1170
>>1992214
Don't know why this anon >>1992229 said no ramps, because that'd be very helpful.
Because they are long they are very prone to slipping disks and back injuries.
Dapples don't have any health problems compared to a red or a black and tan,
minus probably blindness because they're eyes are more sensitive,
but double dapples are very problematic. It's a gene that crosses if you breed two dapples together that causes
intestinal expansion (some puppies are born with organs or guts outside of their body) they are most of the times
born blind, and they have sensitive skin and are weak.

I was going to get a Dachshund puppy myself and researched them for a good four months.

Unless you've already picked out a puppy, choose a reputable breeder from the AKC or/and CKC (canadian
kennel club) list. Back yard breeders aren't a good guarantee for the health of your puppy and don't usually know
how to raise them properly and socialize them.

It is very bad for they're backs to jump off of things and go down stairs (I haven't ever heard or had a problem when they go up stairs, but just be safe.

They are very prone to weight gain unless they are a work dog and get plenty exercise. I like the Origin and Acana small
dog brand. I feed my Mini Dachshund two handfuls a day of the Acana. Oh and when I say plenty exercise, I mean like
a 20 minute walk a day.
(Also, usually unless neutered, they can be very skinny, so it'll just depend on your pupper)

Also >>1992236
All dogs are unless trained properly. That all depends on OP if he's going to be a good one.
Socialize your puppy lots and introduce him/her to as many situations as possible. This will reduce his/her aggression and timidness.

I just got a Shiba Inu puppy on Canadian Thanks Giving from my vet's mom who is a reputable breeder.
Had to drive over a province and spend $2,200, but I got a very healthy pup. She has been very well socialized and loves my dachsy.
Only 11 weeks and knows a lot of tricks.
>>
>>1992245
>asking for tips, not to be punished for choosing a dog breed...
You came to the wrong board motherfucker
>>
>>1992250
Thanks dude, and yes we went with the AKC breeder here close by.
>>
>>1992488
She was recommended to me thru the AKC website
>>
>>1992250
No, ramps are also bad for their backs.
>>
>>1992613
Please show me a website that states this.
They are used to stop dachshunds from running down stairs or jumping off high places.
The first page of googling this says they are a good option to help elderly or injured dahchsunds, so please explain.
You make owning a dachsy sound horrible.
>>
>>1992214
>I want to know some Doxie facts,
in scientific studies of breed and aggression they're consistently rated more aggressive than pit bulls.
>>
>>1993025
That depends on the owner, not to mention a dachshund can't damage as as much as a pit bull
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.