[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dwarf Hamster Fighting or Playing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: MySweetHamHam.jpg (79 KB, 478x800) Image search: [Google]
MySweetHamHam.jpg
79 KB, 478x800
Hey /an/,
I have a question about my 2 dwarf hamsters, I got them this Saturday, they were both 5 weeks old and from the same litter.

In the beginning there were no problem with them but yesterday and today there have been a lot of squeaking from one of them.

What I have seen is that the one on the right(Magnus) is walking to the other(Mikkel), Mikkel starts falling on his back and starts squeaking, then Magnus goes away.
The problem is that sometimes Magnus sorta chase after Mikkel, until Mikkel falls on his back and one time I saw Magnus bagin biting(?) Mikkels nether region (around the scent glands).

Now everytime Mikkel goes near Magnus, Magnus falls on his back and squeaks, however sometime they can be together, sharing houses, mostly when Magnus sleeps.

Are they just playing or is there going to be a bloodbath one day? What is going on?
>>
It should be noted that it all began after I tried taming them, Magnus were more social and got in my hands, could my scent on Magnus be freaking Mikkel out?
>>
Hamsters are shitty pets and it looks like your setup is WAY too small to be housing multiple robos.
>>
>>1991849
Actually now that I look, they are Campbell's dwarf hamster and not robos. Either way hamsters are still shitty creatures and your setup is way too small, which only makes them fight more.
>>
>>1991849
>>1991853
That's only a small part of the cage, it's dimensions are 71x46x31.5 cm, or 28x18x12.5 incehs.
>>
>>1991825
Are they both males? You sure there isn't blood?
>>
>>1991857
They are both males, I've read they are less aggressive.
I've looked at the ears and nose and there bellies, no blood.
>>
Another thing to note Mikkel, the submissive one, likes to make a lot of tunnels, don't know if it means anything...
>>
I thought hamsters are solitary, what the fuck.
>>
>>1991955
Not the robos
>>
>>1991825

Hvorfor har de teite menneskenavn?
>>
>>1991976
Because my girlfriend wanted to name them and we are from Denmark.
>>
They are hamsters, there will probably be a bloodbath one day.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SoahbnYwRk
>>
You should probably separate them if it continues. My CDRH was killed by her daughters after a few days of behavior like that. They ripped her to shreds, there was blood, fur, and innards everywhere. It was traumatizing, she was actually a really friendly and sweet animal.

>tfw I had made plans to get another cage to separate them that weekend before she died
>>
File: duna_multy1.jpg (102 KB, 763x763) Image search: [Google]
duna_multy1.jpg
102 KB, 763x763
>>1992317
ej hvor sjovt samme her.

You should without doubt get a bigger setup, their cage is way to small, it's very little space for two male hamsters.
rodents male are known to bite the genital of each other. (the alpha male will bite the other males balls off, often resulting like really badly!)
they need two private areas, not like in each cage but they should have a corner each so they have a "safe spot" make sure they have lot's of toys and things they can clib on and make tunnels in
>>
>>1992432
I've looked at a bloodbath not long ago, anyway, when they fight fight they seem to fight for some time, here they just jump one an another and goes away. Sorry for you loss.

>>1992466
As I've said before, the dimensions are 71x46x31.5 cm, they have their own little houses, two wheels, two drinking things and two food bowls, there is also some tube they crawl in, which dimensions do you recommend?
>>
>>1992432
Then again, I have observed one of them looking at the genitalia, but I have also seen that they switch it up a little now, I'm starting to think they are just seeing who is the dominant here.
I'm of course just hoping, really hoping.
>>
Try to separate them for a while, and then sometimes switch places so they get used to the scent of the other.
>>
>>1992610
I've read somewhere that if they are separated for too long, they'll forget the scent and start attacking, but thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>1992594
i would recommend a 100x80x 40 - 50 cm cage.
it's a lot bigger and would make their private space bigger, which could help on the fighting.
I was thinking you should try to have a wall between them, so they can see and smell each other but don't touch, whenever they fight. to calm them down.
and you have to active help Magnus, it's not healthy if he gets to submissive
>>
>>1992665
Alright, I'll look into getting a bigger cage, we already have a wall with bars, so I could insert that if gets too much.

Also, great new, after we got a second wheel, the fighting has minimized a lot, there is still an occasional chirp/squeak, and they still don't sleep together anymore, so I'll still follow your advice. Thanks.
>>
>>1992665
Also, in my defense, I did get the largest cage I could find, I think I'll look in Germany, since they have a larger minimum requirement.
Do any of you have a website showing a cage with 100x80x40?
>>
>>1992616
I meant separated in the sense of putting a glass wall in the middle of the cage,so they can see each other,can sense the scent of the other,but can't hurt themselves.
>>
>>1993048
Okay, I've got a metal gate thing I can use, I'm going to clean the cage tomorrow, where I'll put them together in a little playground.

I've also done something risky, I've got a bowl, where I put them in, if they attacked each other I would get them out, fast. But, they were relatively calm, I think that after I cleaned out, all the scent will be gone, meaning there won't be any territory.

Do you think it'll work?
>>
>>1992984
>>1992990
I will link a website, you were danish right? because then you should be able to order from this site
http://dyrenesnetsalg.dk/hamsterbure-og-bure-til-mindre-gnavere-234/gabry-80-p11955

http://www.anthons.dk/shop/hamsterbure-67c2.html
i would't not say their cages are big enugh for two but it's better then what you have
i realized that it is very hard to find a hamster cage that is "longer" so i would recommend you build upwards instead so you get more place that way
i have myself a cage at 120x58x36 but that is for bunnies not for hamsters, but i have given you a link to two sites you can order from
>>
>>1993068
Thanks, I was also having a bit trouble finding bigger cages, I have been thing of buying an extra cage and connecting them in some way. I'll look at the sites.
Again, thank you so much.
>>
>>1993069
oh that was actually a very good idea! that way you can also make sure they have their private space.

you are more than welcome, it's nice when people want to do their best!

btw. the first link they have like really really good service, they ship very fast, i ordered for about 1700 dk Friday and they called my Monday to ask if which colour i wanted my bunny toilets in and then they told me they would come next day, next day at 8 they arrived and helped me get everything up, very nice and very good service
>>
>>1993070
they called me Monday..
>>
>>1993070
Alright, I got a:
http://www.anthons.dk/shop/hamsterbur-cavia-varm-22714p.html
So, I think I'm getting a new one, I don't live too far from some pet stores, so I think I'm getting it there.
But money is getting sorta tight then, so I think I have to split them with cage bar until then.
>>
I also have to find a way to connect them...
>>
>>1993073
that is very nice if you plan on putting them together!
and of course you can wait a bit, i own four bunnies, (just got two new because my bf's brother put my female and male together without any supervision) so she suddenly had kittens without my knowledge, but i also just bought the stuff that i needed a little at a time, i bough a triple cage so i had space for four bunnies (so they have each their cage) and ramps so they can come out of the cage, more toy etc, but i did that spread across a couple of months, because they can wait and if you want to do it right it's very expensive.
>>
>>1993074
you could connect them by cutting a whole in each side and then put a crawling pipe in between, of course make sure it sits right so they can't move it around, but that would also make it funny for them to crawl forth and back between the cages, you can also place a pipe system from the top of one cage to another, so the pipe system gets bigger to run around ind
>>
File: a-1104-saucer.jpg (9 KB, 200x144) Image search: [Google]
a-1104-saucer.jpg
9 KB, 200x144
>>1993077
Our hamster had those the last week, before we replaced it with a traditional one, they didn't know how to use it and they fought over the other wheel.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure if they can use tubes going from top.
>>
>>1993080
hm, if your hamsters don't like tubes you should make a "train station" it sounds fucked, but cut a hole in each cage, make a platform between the cages so they can move around, and then make a square box to close the holes off so they can't get out but can move around, does this make sense?
>>
>>1993082
We got a pair of paper rolls that they love, it's not that I'm afraid they won't like the tubes, it's more that I'm not sure if it'll be too complicated with tubes going from the top of one cage to the other.
>>
>>1993089
oh, i kinda understand that, but what if it's only between, so you only need like one small tube?
>>
>>1993094
Then I'll have to cut a hole, which tools should I use?
Just so I don't break anything.
>>
>>1993098
well you can use a can opener um if it's electric,but something sharp
>>
>>1993104
I was more thinking about making it the right size and shape.
>>
OH GOD I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!
Alright, so I heard some chirping coming from the cage so I went over see what was going on.

There is this little house and I saw one coming out of the door and started chewing on a chew stick they have dragged to the door.

Then the chirping continued, from inside the house, meaning they have just been sleeping together.

Now I just need to know why Magnus keeps chirping at Mikkel...
>>
File: Hamster cage.png (13 KB, 1138x548) Image search: [Google]
Hamster cage.png
13 KB, 1138x548
>>1993105
well it shouldn't be to big, because they don't need much space to come back and forth, so the holes should be a bit bigger than your hamsters, or the pipe you would use to make it connect
this is a shitty illustration but like this
>>
File: Hamster cage.png (13 KB, 1138x548) Image search: [Google]
Hamster cage.png
13 KB, 1138x548
>>1993113
you could also make it at the bottom
instead
>>
>>1993115
I think middle, or maybe top with some kind of stairs, bottom is filled with their digging stuff, it's 5cm above ground, so they kind hide in it if they want. (Sometimes they fall asleep underground)
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have cut in plastic before and the edges usually become sharp, and I'm a little scared they will cu themselves.
>>
File: hamster cage tape.png (15 KB, 1138x548) Image search: [Google]
hamster cage tape.png
15 KB, 1138x548
>>1993117
you have to make sure you have some corners softener, because you are right when you say corners get sharp but what i have done when i have cut cages is to put some good layers of gaffa tape over the cut out holes, that keeps the corners from being sharp
>>
>>1993120
So, I should apply tape first then cut; or the other way around? I just need to be sure.
>>
>>1993125
first cut (make sure your hamsters is somewhere else than the cage, and then apply tape more than a couple of layers should do it, and make sure it overlap tape, so there isn't any sharp edges
>>
>>1993156
Okay, thanks a lot.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.