[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spider Keeping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 402B10.jpg (53 KB, 450x390) Image search: [Google]
402B10.jpg
53 KB, 450x390
One of these chaps, fairly large, is somewhere in my room as of last night. Pretty sure its a male huntsman, pic attached looked like it.
How practical and how easy would it be to make it my pet?
How do I go around luring it into some kind of enclosure without hurting it or me?
Would it eventually become friendly to me?
>>
Burn your house down.

It's the only way
>>
>>1991431
I think the most likely candidates are
Neosparassus salacius
Neosparassus diana
Isopeda queenslandensis
>>
>>1991454
bump
:_:
>>
one option is to forgo the enclosure and let it run around the place. It's not like it's going to attack you, they're more likely to stay out of your way.
>>
>>1991502
theres no way to forge a relationship with the critter in that case though, and it could always get in the way and get hurt or hurt someone. im not alone in this premises.
>>
>>1991431
>How practical and how easy would it be to make it my pet?
>How do I go around luring it into some kind of enclosure without hurting it or me?

Not sure about making it your pet. They aren't stationary guys like the spiders I mentioned in the other thread, they actively move around and hunt without webs.

If you were confident, you could capture it and place it in a large aquarium with suitable hiding spots, feeding it crickets etc.

I have no idea about spiders as pets and how long it would take it to get used to you and/or let you handle it.

Honestly though, it's a wild critter, I'd leave it be. I don't have much regard for their intelligence, but even so I'd be hesitant to take charge of it's fate.

That's just me though.
>>
>>1991431
>How practical and how easy would it be to make it my pet?
They're fast little buggers
>How do I go around luring it into some kind of enclosure without hurting it or me?
Your best bet is actually finding it. They tend to be roamers during mating season, you might not even see it again.
>Would it eventually become friendly to me?
Not how the huntsman spider rolls.
>>
>>1991516

It's a spider, any "relationship" you forge will be entirely a fantasy on your part and you can just as easily imagine it while it's roaming. And again, being a spider, it is naturally going to stay out of the way and not die.

I don't think there is a very good way to keep it. I don't think there would be an easy way to feed it, it will probably just die before it adapts to captivity and I don't think there is anything you could do to prevent if one day escaping no matter how well you tried to secure it.

Go buy a tarantula.
>>
it will live fine in a large clip up tub that is blacked out. use soil for a substrate(nothing with fertilizers etc) and have plenty of things to roam on, hide in and climb on. Feed him a few crickets every 2 days.

personally i believe you can form a relationship with any animal.

I currently have a huntsman in a tub setup similar to above. He is doing fine, eats well etc. i dont feed him as such but pop the crickets in and he hunts at his own leisure
>>
>>1993143

I guess that depends on if you'd consider a completely one sided relationship as one or not. I guess it could be kind of an unrequited affection.
>>
>>1993155
Its possible.
Talking from my experiences keeping animals (mostly reptiles) i have found that building a mutual trust with the animal is the best way to form a decent relationship. Once i trust the animal and it trusts me, its true personality begins to show.

So maybe its not a relationship but an understanding bothways.
>>
>>1993174

You're surely entitled to your opinion and I would agree in the case of most reptiles but I sincerely doubt spiders can trust or understand anything more abstract than life maintaining reactions to various stimuli.

I mean I do like insects a lot but they're more like interesting living decorations than any sort of companion. But I suppose people "marry" body pillows and pony plushes so projecting on a spider really isn't strange.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.