[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vegetable, Fruit, Herb,Spice general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 22
File: images-38.jpg (21 KB, 482x305) Image search: [Google]
images-38.jpg
21 KB, 482x305
Post some interesting and little known fruits and vegetables. Some obscure facts about them too.

In general i just want to know and see more crazy fruits and vegetables and hopefully sketch them.

Thanks in advance guys.
>>
File: 45.gif (124 KB, 560x400) Image search: [Google]
45.gif
124 KB, 560x400
>>1991020
This is a jackfruit. You can find them at most Chinese grocery stores. They taste like rubber pineapples filled with thin honey, with a weird "Chinese snakeoil" after taste which I suspect has more to do with how they're stored than anything else.
>>
>>1991033
>They taste like rubber pineapples filled with thin honey, with a weird "Chinese snakeoil" after taste

that sounds unpleasant
>>
File: rambutan.jpg (61 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
rambutan.jpg
61 KB, 500x375
Rambutan. It's a fruit from Thailand. Even if it looks like a weird abyssal creature, it's actually pretty good and very sweet.
>>
File: durian.jpg (199 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
durian.jpg
199 KB, 1600x1200
>>1991040
Durian,another asian fruit. This one is probably the stinkiest fruit I've ever seen. I didn't bother with tasting it ,but opinions are very divided about it. In Thailand it's severely forbidden to take it on public transportations because of how smelly it is.
>>
More! What's the first one
>>
>>1991033
I always see those things at my local asian grocery. Smell awful I thought they were durians at first. I'm not a bad enough dude to try one.
>>
File: liecheat.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
liecheat.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
This is a lychee. It tastes like pears but has an odd texture. Pretty good. It's native to China and the sole member of it's genus.
>>
>>1991020
Is this shit supposed to taste like cucumber?
>>
>>1991020
These thing right here are pretty hella.

>>1991117
As are these

The sad thing about "exotic" fruits is that many of them are very underwhelming. The reason you very rarely see them in stores is because there's no demand for them. Many are surprisingly bland, given their interesting look.
>>
File: images-41.jpg (14 KB, 236x314) Image search: [Google]
images-41.jpg
14 KB, 236x314
Thanks for contributing guys these will help me with my screenwriting a bunch.
>>
>>1991020
Bought one of these yesterday. How do you eat it?
>>
File: 800px-Momordica_charantia_007.jpg (163 KB, 800x1066) Image search: [Google]
800px-Momordica_charantia_007.jpg
163 KB, 800x1066
Fucking bitter gourd.

I hate this shit.
>>
>>1991338
Those are edible? God I see those all the time and all I do is pick them and throw them on the ground to watch them splat.
>>
File: guav.jpg (110 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
guav.jpg
110 KB, 500x364
>>1991037
>>1991033

Its not my favorite thing, but its not the worst either. Id suggest just biting the bullet and buying one for a party or something, that way you can at least get rid of some of it.

In other news, these are yellow guava, they taste a lot better than green but the only time Ive ever had them was when I spent a month on Easter Island; they grow wild in all the volcanic craters as far as the eye can see. Ate them every day with local bread and cheese for breakfast. Never got sick of them. They taste like a dryer, lightly tart melon, with a texture similar to that of a pear, with the fibrous pulp of an orange close to the rind.
>>
>>1991033
>>1991040
We have those in Guyana, they are called by other names but I can't recall them atm.

>>1991338
That is a fruit. Those, we call Suriname Cherries, I can't really describe the taste from memory. They are used in herbal medicines because they are rich in vitamins, we also make drink with them.

>>1992478
That is a vegetable, it's called carilla. We cook it, and use the vines that it is grown on for medicine. It's BITTER AS FUCK, but if cooked properly delicious.

>>1992490
Guava, fruit. When they are green it just means they are unripened. We use them as jelly, "cheese", fruit drinks etc etc.
>>
>>1991044
It looks like it has animal organs.
>>
>>1992519
There are guava that are ripe when they are green
>>
File: Sapodilla.jpg (39 KB, 530x329) Image search: [Google]
Sapodilla.jpg
39 KB, 530x329
Guyana fag here

This is Sapodilla.
Its super sweet when ripe, but if you eat it green it "stains" your teeth and tongue with white sticky material.
>>
>>1991110
guyanaandevanna()blogspot()com/2012/11/fruits-of-guyana()html

Replace the () with a dot
Someone can save the pictures and post the definitions of them.

I'm too lazy atm.
>>
File: Locust.jpg (37 KB, 336x252) Image search: [Google]
Locust.jpg
37 KB, 336x252
This is Locust (aka stinking Toe).

It's kinda smelly, and it has a powdery flesh inside that hard shell.
>>
File: NONI.jpg (33 KB, 320x308) Image search: [Google]
NONI.jpg
33 KB, 320x308
>>1992619
Guyana again.
This is Noni, it tastes NASTY.

I don't know how people eat or drink this "fruit".

They use it for herbal medicine, tonics etc etc.
>>
File: persimmons.jpg (94 KB, 720x482) Image search: [Google]
persimmons.jpg
94 KB, 720x482
Recently my local Mexican market has started carrying persimmons. Other than eating them raw, can they be prepared in other ways? Do they go well with other fruit?
>>
>>1992621
i thought they taste bitter
>>
>>1992739
Persimmons are terrible. Is it normal for them to make your mouth feel tingly and numb?
>>
>>1991117
They're alot more purfume-y than pears in my opinion, maybe like a fruity Earl grey tea in solid form.
>>
>>1992965
Don't fucking eat the skins retard.
>>
>>1992476
the bast way is probably to cut it in half and use spoon. It's pretty runny and i didnt know that when i first bought it

>>1991124
yup but a tiny bit sour
>>
>>1991117
that thing in the middle is seed. You dont eat it
>>
>>1991044
>>watched chopped
>>
>>1991128
Yeah but just like how I kill people based on how they look as do I eat shit
>>
File: Monsteradeliciosafruit.jpg (136 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Monsteradeliciosafruit.jpg
136 KB, 800x600
Monstera Deliciosa

I used to eat them every summer when I went to my grandmothers house in Mexico when I was little.
>>
File: 220px-Pawpaw-fruit.jpg (20 KB, 220x246) Image search: [Google]
220px-Pawpaw-fruit.jpg
20 KB, 220x246
>>1991020
I tried that once and it tasted good but I couldn't handle the consistency. It felt like having a bunch of baby fish in my mouth.
but to contribute, the pawpaw is the largest native fruit to north america, ranging from a custard,mango, and banana taste. wish they were more popular.
>>
>>1991044
what does it smell like?
>>
>>1993253
what are these and how do you even eat them?
is there a picture of it cut?
>>
>>1993953
They're too seasonal and fly-pollinated without a strong-smelling flower so they don't even set that well.
>>
>>1992965
Only when they're under ripe. I don't particularly care for them, but when ripe they should have a sweet honey flavor to them. I find them bland.
>>
>>1991020
I think I saw some of those at Whole Foods last week. Neat.
>>
File: Papaya_cross_section_BNC.jpg (3 MB, 3854x2569) Image search: [Google]
Papaya_cross_section_BNC.jpg
3 MB, 3854x2569
>>1993953
That looks nothing like the ones we have in Guyana, also
>native to north america

Lel we have those in throves in Guyana. Hell, i have 3 bearing trees in my yard atm.

You throw the seeds into the yard and a tree pops up.

It's that simple.
>>
>>1994092
Papayas are not Pawpaws. Asimina is only native to the US.
>>
>>1994104
I googled it, they look like buxton spice mangos (a variety of mango in Guyana).

It also says that its in the soursop family, had one in my yard a vew years back, probably could get my nands on some of those pawpaw seeds.
>>
>>1992739
Make persimmon punch.

Technically you're supposed to use dried persimmon for it, but I've used fresh before and it STILL worked.

> Whatcha need
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 stick cinnamon
> a thumb-sized piece of ginger
> 3 cups water
> 1 persimmon

Bring the water to a boil. Add sugar, ginger and cinnamon. Let it simmer until the water is colored. While this is going on, peel and cut up the persimmon. Remove the spices, add the persimmon and cut off the heat. Let it soak like a tea.

Best served cold, especially if you leave it alone overnight. You can leave the fruit in it!
>>
>>1991117
Lychees taste like perfumed grapes, but way harder to eat.
>>
This is a wonderful thread, thank you. Please keep posting.
>>
>>1992965
When they're ripe they're good, but if they're just a little unripe they leave a pretty bad taste and sensation in your mouth. Had to throw out a whole bag of dried persimmons because they were dried while really unripe.
>>
>>1992965
lol. This guy ate the skin.
>>
File: images[1].jpg (5 KB, 190x266) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
5 KB, 190x266
This is a pear. A friend bought one of these for me from a street vendor. It was the first time I ever ate one. It tasted like dirt. Apparently you are not supposed to eat the sticker that comes with it.
>>
>>1994300
wew lad
>>
I've got a mangosteen tree growing at my backyard. How long does it take for the fruit to ripe?
>>
>>1992621
I remember trying one in Hawaii and spitting it back out because it was so bad. I could not get the taste of vinegar our of my mouth nor off of my hands.
>>
>>1994300
Interesting ... Tell me more... Have you ever heard of an apple? Such rare. Much fruit,
>>
>>1993966
You wait for the little scales to fall off then eat the fleshy part that is exposed.
>>
>>1994104
Love me some PAw paws
>>
File: sarsaparillaroot.jpg (33 KB, 420x308) Image search: [Google]
sarsaparillaroot.jpg
33 KB, 420x308
sarsaparilla root

Have no idea what the live plant looks like.

We use it for a nunch of ailments i Guyana, but I see Americlap's drug eebsite has it listed.

Sarsaparilla is a woody, trailing vine, which can grow to 50 meters in length. It is grown in the areas listed above. Many Smilax species are very similar in appearance regardless of origin.

The part of the plant used for medicinal purposes is the root. Although this root has a pleasant fragrance and spicy sweet taste, and has been used as a natural flavoring agent in medicines, foods, and non-alcoholic beverages.

The French physician Monardes described using sarsaparilla to treat syphilis in 1574. In 1812, Portuguese soldiers suffering from syphilis recovered faster if sarsaparilla was taken to treat the disease versus mercury, the standard treatment at the time.

Sarsaparilla has been used by many cultures for other ailments as well, including skin problems, arthritis, fever, digestive disorders, leprosy, and cancer.
>>
>>1996134
>Have no idea what the live plant looks like
Spiny vines, they grow wild here
>>
>>1996149
So do they here, but never saw with my own eyes to identify on google images.

I would have to go into the "bush"(forest, wild places) to see it, and no way in hell am I going into the rainforests of Guyana to look for a vine.

I know what the dried version looks like though.
>>
>>1996134
YOu can use the oils in them to make MDMA. good time to be had by all after that.
>>
>>1991040
You can find these wild in Puerto Rico as well.
>>
>>1996175
>Guyana
But I thought it was a mediterranean plant. Can it survive in tropical conditions?
>>
>>1997029
I don't know, all the street corner herbalists sell this, and if you really know how "bad their lifestyle is", I think you would understand why they wouldn't be able to import it, if it is indeed a foreign import.
>>
Goya
>>
File: 1215.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1215.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Sand plums, mulberries and wild blackberries. They grew everywhere where I was working in OK. The blackberries were the best I've ever had.
>>
File: image001.jpg (77 KB, 400x354) Image search: [Google]
image001.jpg
77 KB, 400x354
These are longans. They grow in China and their name literally means "Dragon Eye" because of how they look and their texture. They have thin, bark-like shells containing a firm white berry-like fruit. We sell them at my grocery store, and they have a fruity and nutty taste. I like them a lot actually.
>>
File: loquat.jpg (376 KB, 1178x877) Image search: [Google]
loquat.jpg
376 KB, 1178x877
I don't really know how common loquats are in the rest of the world. They're a fruit native to China, but around here (New Zealand) they're just a plant that people occasionally have in their back gardens. You don't find the fruit in supermarkets or anything, but I suspect this is because the seed:flesh ratio is high, they spoil quite quickly after they're picked, and their season is relatively short.

They're sweet and tangy and juicy, though you have to peel them. You can make preserves with them that is quite nice.

I had a friend with one of these in their yard when I was a kid, and I kept a handful of seeds from some fruit I was given and planted them. Twelve years later, I have four trees between 8 and 12 feet in height, and one of them has started to bear fruit. With proper pruning and feeding, I assume the others will follow suit.

They're reasonably hardy, and have survived a couple of droughty summers (4-6 months of little to no rain) and also a flood or two, one snow storm, some hail, and strong salty sea winds since I planted them out. Great trees that I hope will continue to grow well and have good fruiting years in the future.

Also -- cherry guava anyone?
>>
File: 1406308684488.jpg (24 KB, 660x667) Image search: [Google]
1406308684488.jpg
24 KB, 660x667
>>1991044
One time I implied that Durian was gross smelling and a second gen chinese dude in his twenties became almost awkwardly aggressive with me about how I can't say that Durian's are smelly because HE likes them.

I think he thought that my assertion that a fruit - a fruit legendary for it's god awful smell - was racist.
>>
>>1999107
They are fucking every where in San Antonio Tx.
>>
>>1991033
Jackfruit is amazing. By far my favorite fruit, but very, very messy. I would advise cutting it up outside, wearing old clothes you don't care about, and have other people around to help you eat it if you get an entire jackfruit. Most of the Korean/Chinese grocery stores will sell you half of one, due to their size. Usually they are good at selling jackfruit that has been picked at the right time and is fresh, at least where I've shopped.

When you cut it up, you'll find it easiest to use a knife to cut it into large chunks and then use your hands to rip out pieces of the fruit. The fruit envelopes a massive seed. It is easy to pull out the fruit surrounding the seed, but sometimes bits of the white core comes with it. I don't mind those, but most people don't like eating the white part. Some people don't like eating the inner, thin stuff around the seed that usually remains after you throw out the seed, but I don't mind that, either.

The seeds can be eaten if you cook them, but I never liked them.

It can be stored in the fridge; use saran wrap all over the remaining fruit to be sure your fridge doesn't get sticky. Try and eat it all within about 5 days, depending on how fresh it is when you buy it.
>>
>>1991020
One can see that (and other exotic fruits) multiple times on top of Nelix's counter on board of the starship U.S.S. Voyager. Funny, though, that even today this kiwanu (i thinm it's gonna spell that way - to lazy to search for it) is so little known.
>>
>>1994264
They are pretty simple to eat.
First: peel the skin. That's easy, cause the protective layer is ether hard or soft.
Second: put fruit in mouth and eat it like a cherry, which means spit out the inner core.
>>
>>1999019
More like Dragon Balls
>>
>>1999107
These are quite popular in spain. They sell the fruit in stores every summer.
>>
File: black-sapote-persimmon.jpg (25 KB, 400x282) Image search: [Google]
black-sapote-persimmon.jpg
25 KB, 400x282
Black sapote.

Top tier fruit. Seeds are covered in a jam-like substance
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.