[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: That one animal you like that nobody else likes pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 71
File: hyena.jpg (653 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
hyena.jpg
653 KB, 1620x1080
ITT: That one animal you like that nobody else likes

pic related
>sickass mohawk
>bite force stronger than a pussy ass lion's
>strong sense of loyalty and family (at least for spotted hyenas anyway)
>cute ears
>>
File: manta_ray2013_01.jpg (141 KB, 700x423) Image search: [Google]
manta_ray2013_01.jpg
141 KB, 700x423
Mantas are cool. They're really unique-looking, gentle, and their only natural predators are large sharks because they're so big and sanic fast
>>
File: TCluUEO.png (430 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
TCluUEO.png
430 KB, 500x500
Hyenas are cute as fuck as babies. It's impossible that someone doesn't like this.
>>
>>1988567
>>1988591
I love hyenas. The hyena is my "spirit" animal. I plan on getting a tribal hyena tattoo somewhere on my body as soon as I get the cash
>>
File: pets.jpg (41 KB, 450x323) Image search: [Google]
pets.jpg
41 KB, 450x323
>>1988567
if it ain't striped, it ain't right.

why do brown hyenas get a documentary but these guys don't?
>>
File: 131987340571.jpg (124 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
131987340571.jpg
124 KB, 500x500
>>1988594
>>
Lots of people like hyenas. OP is a faggot.
>>
File: house_centipede.jpg (73 KB, 800x482) Image search: [Google]
house_centipede.jpg
73 KB, 800x482
No, really, I like these.
Admittedly they're a little skittish, but in a cute way
>>
>>1988567
>strong sense of loyalty and family (at least for spotted hyenas anyway)
>at least for spotted hyenas anyway
>spotted
>loyal
>sense of family

M8 you better have meant striped.
>>
>>1988907

10/10 choice, I fucking hate you for even liking centipedes.
>>
File: image.jpg (351 KB, 974x752) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
351 KB, 974x752
Love em. I love how they look, how they take care of their young, how they are sexually dimorphic.

I'm always happy to see the occasional lost earwig in the house, or find one when I turn over a rock in the garden.

It makes me sad that people still believe they crawl into ears and eat brains.
>>
File: CurrentCrabs004.jpg (58 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
CurrentCrabs004.jpg
58 KB, 800x600
>they're rarely taken care of correctly and die within a month for most people
>extremely rarely posted here
>cute as fuck when they're babbies and sweet and gentle as fuck when they're big adults (up to the size of a soft ball for purple pinchers)
>live up to 40 years if taken care of properly, you won't ever be lonely with a sweet ol Hermie around
>watching them eat and change shells is addicting
>mfw two of them will face each other and tickle each other with their antennae for like 5 minutes if they happen to cross paths
>they're some of the only animals you can name Zoidberg without looking like a kook

10/10 crustaceans
>>
File: zoidberg_homeowner.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
zoidberg_homeowner.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>1988976
>look at me, I'm Dr Zoidberg, homeowner!
>>
>>1988976
Hermit crabs are GOAT. I had mine for years and years as a kid and loved them. Then my parents got two new babies for my younger brother because he was jealous, and put them in my tank while I was away at a sleepover.

Of course they were sick and got mine sick and they were all dead within a few weeks.
>>
File: 13352128aU.jpg (596 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
13352128aU.jpg
596 KB, 960x640
salamanders/newts
>>
But sempai, that's not an African Wild Dog.
>>
>>1988976
People who know about them dislike them because they're high maintenance and boring.
>>
>>1988975
Their butt scares me.
>>1989069
I held a newt over the summer. Kawaii desu~~
>>
>>1989074
They're boring because they're inactive because the humidity is too low or its too cold. That's not high maintenance at all. That's literally sticking a couple heaters to the side of the tank and having two deep pools of water in there for them to drink and bathe in. I live in colorado, one of the driest places, and I have to spritz the tank with water a couple times a week at most and the humidity is fine. You're a fucking kekold who's too lazy to take care of pets properly
>>
File: 2901162091_e76c3ba782.jpg (113 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
2901162091_e76c3ba782.jpg
113 KB, 500x334
>>1989075
Their pinch is actually painless.
>>
File: giant-earwig.jpg (52 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
giant-earwig.jpg
52 KB, 500x373
>>1989082
Actually maybe not this one.
>>
>>1989085
Oww
>>
>>1989085
extinct, so eh

They use them mainly for male vs male fights
>>
>>1989078
>You're a fucking kekold who's too lazy to take care of pets properly
>implying
I've never had a hermit crab, but thanks for projecting.

>That's not high maintenance at all.
You also have to get them company, housing that's suitable for three softballs that like to climb, mixing and changing out both saltwater and freshwater, a 6 inch bed of substrate that has to be changed regularly, and buy giant impossible-to-find shells for them, all for something that (possibly because I've never seen anyone who's actually bothered with all that) rarely comes out of it's shell and isn't especially interactive with the owner or amongst themselves.
>>
>>1989090
>get them company
Hermit crabs cost no more than 10 dollars at most pet stores
>housing that's suitable for three softballs that like to climb
Nope, depends on how big your crabs are. A 10 gallon tank is just fine for 3-4 small crabs
>mixing and changing out both saltwater and freshwater
You mix a gallon of salt water once every 3 months at the most
>a 6 inch bed of substrate that has to be changed regularly
Regularly as in every 6 months to a year
>and buy giant impossible to find shells for them
Not every hermit crab is as big as a softball you retard. The average crab is the size of a golf ball, and at that size each shell is about a dollar a pop at the very most, and are extremely easily found online
>all for something that (possibly because I've never seen anyone who's actually bothered with all that) rarely comes out of it's shell and isn't especially interactive with the owner or amongst themselves
When taken care of properly, hermit crabs are extremely active, especially Ecuadorians. Regular handling makes them become very friendly and willing to crawl around on your hands and arms and whatnot.

>I've never had a hermit crab

Oh wait you're just a fucking retard who doesn't know what he's talking about

Source: I've owned hermit crabs for 3 years
>>
>>1989094
Are all people with crabs as virulent and cunty as you are? Can't imagine why I wouldn't want to be part of the club.

>Oh wait you're just a fucking retard who doesn't know what he's talking about
You're right. I should have just said "fuck it" and bought one at PetShart without doing any research beforehand.
>>
>>1989100
>"HERBUT CRUBS R STUPID N DONT DO NUTHIN"
>no, you're probably just not taking care of them properly
>"BUT DER SO HI MAINTUNENCE"
>no they're not you retard
>"SHUT UP"

this is every conversation ive ever had with anyone who doesn't have hermit crabs on how to take care of them, ever. Why can't you accept the fact that you're wrong?
>>
File: oryx.jpg (441 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
oryx.jpg
441 KB, 800x531
>>1988567
So is this animals I like that other people generally ignore or that other people hate? Because my favorite animals are Bovids and Deer, especially Elk, Fallow Deer and Oryx species, but most people are plebs and their favorite animals are generally some form of wolf/dog or cat

As for creatures I like that other people hate? I've always liked non-biting flies. Their larvae feed only on dead tissue - they're so harmless they're literally used as medicine - and their adults just kinda slurp up organic liquids. They only bother me when there are too many of them. I also really love vultures. I have a thing for scavengers.

>>1988591
Yeah, they're adorable as puplets.
>>
>>1989105
My heart has a soft place for ungulates too.
if I wasn't going into snail studies I would definitely study them.
>>
>>1989107
How old are you? What other stuff are you interested in? For some absolutely bizarre reason, nobody is interested in Ungulates.
>>
>>1989109
21. I'm graduating soon and have a couple of advisers interested in me.

I'm mostly interested in the ecology/conservation of land snails. I have affinity for them. I also find their ability to invade ecosystems and affect human health interesting (and devastating).

I do have interest in ungulates; their population dynamics and how they affect forest structure.

I don't get it either. I think they are beautiful. Since many people hunt deer and the like, I feel understanding their dynamics are important.
>>
>>1989102
I can accept the fact that I'm wrong. Why can't you accept the fact that you're far more of a cunt than necessary? I understand that you're frustrated nobody likes your favorite animal because there are a hundred better alternatives, but come on.
>>
File: Delphinapterus_leucas_2.jpg (3 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Delphinapterus_leucas_2.jpg
3 MB, 3008x2000
>>1989109
>>1989112

best ungulate reporting in :^)
>>
>>1989114
I learned something today. I thought cetaceans were some sort of carnivores in the past.
>>
>>1989112
It's funny, the first thing I thought about when you said snails was Floridian Land Snails. I actually studied them VERY briefly when I was designing a Floridian Hammock enclosed garden, but I ultimately decided their care would be too difficult for the space I had in mind.

>I do have interest in ungulates; their population dynamics and how they affect forest structure.
>Since many people hunt deer and the like, I feel understanding their dynamics are important.
This makes me nervous. Deer don't actually affect forest structure all that much. At most they reduce herbal layers and delay (for a few decades generally at most) reforestation. Hunters and the conservative culture that's dominant in America have given an EXTREMELY skewed view of how Ungulates fit into ecosystems as some kind of destroyer of vegetation that needs curbed as much as possible (this is, of course, a completely unbiased view from a group of people who - by total coincidence - take pleasure in murdering and eating Ungulates kek).

>>1989114
There always has to be one.

>>1989118
They were. Also Ungulates. They descend from very bizarre ancestors.
>>
File: hyrax.jpg (242 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
hyrax.jpg
242 KB, 1024x768
>>1989118
Yeh I think that's due to the fact that in some documentaries they say they originated from a wolf-like ancestor. Tbh i don't know how accurate this is, but a ungulate could still be a carnivore I guess, so you could still be right.

Also this fucker right here.
>>
>>1988975
Have you ever tried keeping them as pets?
>>
>>1989122
>Deer don't actually affect forest structure all that much. At most they reduce herbal layers and delay (for a few decades generally at most) reforestation.

It is mostly what I was getting at.
I would have to disagree and say they do affect forest structure and herbaceous cover. I didn't mean it in a negative way; that's just what they do.

Except now, the populations are raising because of less natural predators. So in some states, plants are being negatively affected and invasive ones are going even more wild (it's there big break). I don't think hunting will fix this. I don't know if reintroduction of some predators would work.

>>1989124
Sounds OP
>>
>>1989129
>I would have to disagree and say they do affect forest structure and herbaceous cover.
I never said they didn't. But they're certainly nothing resembling the menace that Americans would have everyone believe. Americans are highly enamored of predatory animals. I'll never forget the "Wolves changed the rivers" video where wolf reintroduction to Yellowstone was spoken of in hushed tones as some kind of cure-all for supposed extreme vegetation loss caused by Elk. They failed to mention, of course, that later Elk numbers plummeted in the park because of these wolves. But Americans, of course, don't give a flying fuck because wolves are "majestic" and Deer are just "nuisance animals" whose population "needs curbed".

>Except now, the populations are raising because of less natural predators. So in some states
Yeah, except no. See above. Wapiti are nearly extinct due to hunters and White-Tailed Deer are never a nuisance to anything but farmers and people's gardens some times. Even the studies that attempt to show that White-Tailed Deer "overpopulation" is "harming the environment" can only ever show minimal effects. The truth is Deer don't really harm vegetation significantly.

> So in some states, plants are being negatively affected and invasive ones are going even more wild (it's there big break)
These are all problems caused by HUMANS, NOT Deer. Another part of this "overpopulated Deer" mythos that pisses me off is that the EXACT same pigfuckers who claim we need to curb Deer populations ignore the damage humans do to the biosphere and believe human overpopulation is "a myth". It'd be funny if it weren't so sickening.

>I don't think hunting will fix this.
Of course it won't because Deer aren't causing it. HUMANS are.

>I don't know if reintroduction of some predators would work.
Why would it? What would work are for humans to stop harming the environment by leaving it the fuck alone except to remove the non-native species THEY introduced.
>>
>>1989134
I agree with most of what you said and humans are causing the problems surrounding ungulates.
I don't agree with you stating that ungulate populations not raising or overpopulation of ungulates. Of course, that is happening because of human expansion. The more land we take; the less there is for other animals.

> leaving it the fuck alone
This would fix most problems. I know not everyone would want to do that though. There are alot of people who need to exploit nature. Excluding hermits and possibly homesteads we all need to use natural resources.

I'm really enjoying this conversation.
>>
>>1989179
>I don't agree with you stating that ungulate populations not raising
As far as I know, Wapiti populations AREN'T raising. And in Yellowstone, they're dropping. And the Wapiti not only lost almost all of its subspecies, but its range and numbers ARE lower now than they were before European colonization. My guess is White-Tail populations are probably more or less stable. They're CERTAINLY not OMG OVERPOPULATED THE HORROR!! like is popular now to portray.

>overpopulation of ungulates
The weird thing is, Ungulates really DON'T GET overpopulated. If there are too many, they simply starve down or disease outbreaks occur to keep their numbers in check. Despite Lion King idiocy about how ecology operates, most megafaunal populations are not kept in check by predators but by territory, disease and food availability.

>I know not everyone would want to do that though.
Nobody wants to do it. Humans are a cancer upon this planet. They'll consume every natural resource, then blame rabbits ffs.

So what would be your favorite Ungulate(s)?
>>
>>1989183
>starve down
Not the guy you're talking to, but that would be considered a direct consequence of them being overpopulated, no?
>>
>>1989184
But that's just it. My point is there is never a point where Deer build up their populations to where they wreck the ecosystem, which is what hunters claim. They're still subject to natural forces. Those same cunts try to claim though, that human overpopulation is a myth, when the total opposite is true for humans and we ARE wrecking the biosphere. Ungulates just never get so populous they wreck an ecosystem unless that ecosystem is already damaged - typically by humans.
>>
>>1989102
If that is your perception of how that interaction went....wow....im not even the person you were responding to
>>
>>1988567

There are too many OP
>>
File: ahahahohwow.jpg (894 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
ahahahohwow.jpg
894 KB, 3008x2000
>>
>>1989183
>Ungulates really DON'T GET overpopulated. If there are too many, they simply starve down or disease outbreaks occur to keep their numbers in check.

What?

If there's too many disease breaks out?
If there's too many they starve?...from over population.
>implying predators don't affect prey numbers
>>
>>1989206
Oh they get overpopulated enough that their population is naturally reduced through lack of food and disease. But they never reach levels that cause the ecological devastation that hunters and other human exceptionalists claim.

>implying predators don't affect prey numbers
I didn't say they didn't. But in megafauna they also don't affect their numbers to anything resembling the degree most people are made to think through constant hunter propaganda.
>>
>>1989208

>naturally reduced through lack of food and disease. But they never reach levels that cause the ecological devastation

That doesn't make sense.

>But in megafauna they also don't affect their numbers to anything resembling the degree most people are made to think through constant hunter propaganda.
>propaganda
>implying megafauna make up the bulk of the herbivore species
>the vast majority of species ARE affected significantly by predators.
>>
>>1989214
his post made sense and he in right on the fact that the idea of a need of human hunters to keep deer populations in check is insane.
>>
File: 1434216638470.jpg (29 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
1434216638470.jpg
29 KB, 400x392
>>1989216
he is*
>>
>>1989216

You cannot say that animals starve because of a lack of food and that they don't cause ecological issues in the same sentence.

It's ridiculous.
>>
>>1989183
I didn't know wapiti was another way to say elk.

I think desert elk are beautiful. I like white-tailed deer too, but I'm quite use to them.

I'm currently in Maine and haven't seen a moose.
>>
File: Gypful.jpg (374 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
Gypful.jpg
374 KB, 1152x768
>>
>>1989214
>the vast majority of species ARE affected significantly by predators.
Except that's simply not true. It's just mainstreamed propaganda like "America is the best country on Earth." It's meaningless drivel with no relation to reality. The largest megafauna don't really have any predators. And island megafauna tend to have ZERO predators of any kind.

>>1989222
Deer is one species (whatever species we're referring to). Ecosystem necessitates the interactions of more than one species, generally including abiotic factors. Saying "Deer starving is an ecological disaster" is simply grammatically incorrect. You can say it's a disaster for the Deer, but it's not for the ecosystem if everything else remains intact.

>>1989232
Well I differentiate because a lot of people like to say that American Wapiti and Eurasian Red Deer / Elk are two different species, which I don't tend to agree with, but there you go.

>>1989239
Awww I wish we still had Teratorns. Fucking humans ruin everything, then always blame everything but themselves.
>>
>>1989241
No I meant that the vast majority of herbivore species on the planet are not megafauna. And therefore the vast majority of herbivore species on the planet ARE affected by predator numbers.

>island megafauna

Like what?
>>
>>1989105
Oryx are beautiful. Good choice.
>>
>>1989248
>No I meant that the vast majority of herbivore species on the planet are not megafauna.
I was only referring to megafauna.

>Like what?
Like literally all of them. Islands tend to follow a pretty similar pattern. Honestly, humans have destroyed the vast majority of island megafuana.
>>
File: Gemsbok.jpg (149 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
Gemsbok.jpg
149 KB, 750x500
>>1989253
I like Gemsbok a lot too. I have trouble deciding which I like better. I like the stark white on black of O. leucoryx, but I love the sturdier build and markings of O. beisa and O. gazella. I'm not so fond of O. dammah. I've always loved all sorts of Antelope really.
>>
>>1989183
Are you fucking 14?
>>
I really like jackals and other small scavengers.
>>
>>1989069
Who doesn't like them?
>>
I like centipedes a lot dont know why just think they're interesting besides that birds and snakes. Though theres a lot more people that like those
>>
>>1989267
One time when I was in highschool I went to some rich faggot's party. I'm okay with hunting but his dad killed like 10 of these things and had all their heads/ pelts on the wall. Yeah I'm still butthurt considering some subspecies are becoming endangered.
>>
>>1989070
They're almost like giant mammalian ants, to watch the ruthless efficiency in how they dispatch and devour their prey is both an awesome and unnerving sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QofZ8i0DMhQ
>>
>>1989332
Wait, this one is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGkyzhub3JI
>>
>>1988907
i had one of those crawl across my leg last night without me even noticing. i only noticed it because i saw it, not because i felt it. then it jumped like 2 feet. i didn't even know those fuckers could jump.
>>
>>1989313
Everytime I mention salamanders to anyone they never know what they are until I explain.
The other day I had a friend confusing salamanders with geckos. How is this even possible?
>>
>>1989454
because your friends are retarded or 14 years old.
>>
File: coyote2.jpg (2 MB, 2782x2274) Image search: [Google]
coyote2.jpg
2 MB, 2782x2274
Coyotes. I think they are beautiful, and I love hearing their choruses of yips at night.

And they really aren't harmful, but public perception of them (especially here) is just overwhelmingly negative. For some reason people love wolves, but hate coyotes. I don't get it.

>>1989239
That is one beautiful bird.
>>
>>1989458
most are 20+.
The one I talked about it's actually in the 4th year of uni.
>>
>>1989454
How is it even possible? Are you retarded? Different people have different interests and grow up immersing themselves in knowledge from different areas of interest. Culture and media where they grew up also plays a part.

The world is a big ass place and individual people/cultures around the world vary a lot. You can't HONESTLY say that it sounds impossible that people can make a mistake differentiating animals when they have no interest in animals. Holy fuck. The egocentrism is real.
>>
>>1988619
Stripped hyenas are best hyenas.
Although they sound like chronic smokers when they grunt, so it kinda spoils the cute factor. But it's funny tho.
>>
>>1989468
People hate yotes for the same reason they like the mafia but hate niggers.
>>
>>1989114
>Best ungulate
>Not Orcinus orca

C'mon m8
>>
>>1989501
Kek sounds interesting, please elaborate
>>
>>1989468
Agreed. I spent 4 months in utah camping. One night I left my tent to take a piss and heard 50 or so pairs of feet scitter away from me in the dark. It scared the fuck out of me at first, but I realized then how harmless they are even in a whole pack. The only dangerous coyote is a coyote with rabies. Cool animals.
>>
>>1988567
i like hyenas too anon
>>
>>1989496
I'm the same age as the people he's talking about. Learning what an amphibian is was part of standard curriculum back when I was in elementary school, and it remained relevant through high school.
There are certain things you're expected to know as an educated human. It's like confusing birds and reptiles.
>>
>>1989496
It has nothing to do with interests, that's the most basic knowledge.
You're supposed to know the difference between reptiles and amphibians unless you skipped kindergarten and elementary school.
>>
File: they're in the trees!.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
they're in the trees!.webm
3 MB, 640x480
Crayfish are some of the best pets in the world, but everyone I tell about them just jokes about eating them.
>>
>>1989608
Kawaii. It's just chilling on the plant.
>>
>>1989454

Because they both look like lizards you autistic fuck.

>>1989569
>>1989598
Some people just don't give a shit about animals. You can't understand, because you like animals and therefore remember.

Fuck I can't remember any famous celebrities/musicians on the radio because I just don't care. Whilst someone else could name every song and artist.
>>
>>1989248
>No I meant that the vast majority of herbivore species on the planet are not megafauna.

>doesn't realize deer are megafauna
>>
>>1989085
Nope nope nope fuck you
>>
>>1989608
when I got shrimp everyone was baffled. they suggested eating them, too. and these are just run of the mill cherry shrimp.
>>
>>1989917
To be fair thats true, because most herbivores are invertebrates.
>>
>>1989608
>>1989912

crayfish and shrimp are the comfiest aquarium pets next to grass eels
>>
>>1989070
Are they actually canids? They look like they are more closely related to hyenas than wolves/jackals/coyotes/dogs.
>>
>>1989105
For some reason this is reminding me of that thread where people discussed "creating unicorns" with goats.

Do Oryx develop their horns the same way goats do? If it's done in a humane manner, could you surgically alter them when young enough so both horns grow into a single large horn in the center of the forehead?

I both love and hate when curiosity drives me to contemplate such things. Half of my brain is all, "What the fuck, they are perfectly majestic as is!" And the other half is all, "REAL LIFE UNICORNS! FUCK YEAH!"
>>
File: 18fcb990.jpg (78 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
18fcb990.jpg
78 KB, 832x584
>>1988567
>liking matriarchal societies
>>
File: look-of-disapproval-lisa.jpg (110 KB, 509x490) Image search: [Google]
look-of-disapproval-lisa.jpg
110 KB, 509x490
>>1990005
>>
>>1989280
Jackals are fucking bad ass. Their sense of smell is much more powerful than that of wolves or even domesticated bloodhounds.

I remember watching a documentary where a Russian guy used jackal dog hybrids to create a whole new breed of dog for sniffing out drugs in airports. His breed was so successful that the Russian government was afraid it would be diluted and bastardized to the point it would lose it's superior scenting ability so they banned any exporting of the breed to prevent that from happening.
>>
>>1989208
>Oh they get overpopulated enough that their population is naturally reduced through lack of food and disease.
>overpopulated enough that their population is naturally reduced
>naturally reduced
>starvation and disease more natural than predatory pop control. Which doesn't exist according to me
>main gripe is North America and they have wolves that prey on megafauna
?????
>>
>>1990008
Don't give me that look, you little yellow cunt. You created an entire civilization from rotting one of your teeth in soda.
>>
>>1990000
Yes, they are canids. The dogs in the picture are puppies so they look a little different, but a full grown African painted dog is all canid.
>>
>>1988567
Grey wolf would destroy a spotted hyena
>>
>>1989916
>famous celebrities/musicians on the radio
>this is the shit they teach in elementary school in Australia instead of basic fucking taxonomy
>>
>>1990067
>basic fucking taxonomy
the terms "reptile" and "amphibian" haven't been used in taxonomy since your grandpa was in school.

you'd be better off learning about rappers than science that's 45 years out of date.
>>
>>1989523
They're both bad, but one has class
>>
>>1989916
>Because they both look like lizards you autistic fuck.

>lizards now have a moist skin
nice going bruh. congrats for being more retarded than bugfag
>>
>>1990072
>the terms "reptile" and "amphibian" haven't been used in taxonomy since your grandpa was in school.

What the fuck are you people learning in biology class then?
>>
>>1990125
>What the fuck are you people learning in biology class then?
they only teach 150 year old science in the US.
Mendel's peas, Pavlov's dog.

they try to teach Darwin but people get mad about that because the American public thinks science over 150 years old is brand new and still up for debate.
>>
>>1990127
>science
>up for debate

I'll never understand what's going on in those heads.
>>
>>1990125
While the definition of those terms might have changed due to new discoveries, they aren't outdated and are still used in scientific literature in the traditional sense.
>>
>>1990157
meant to reply to >>1990072
>>
>>1989562
Yeah, everytime I've seen one they were shy and skittish. They don't generally bother people. For me, a coyote sighting is a real treat.

People are just overly afraid of them/seem to think that they are disgusting, sinister animals for some reason. That's the general public perception that I hear about them. And a lot of people here are seem to think we should exterminate all the coyotes because they are a danger to smaller animals like cats, because they are concerned about their pets. Aside from the fact that it's not nearly as common as they think, how are you about to blame a predator animal for doing what predator animals do? If they are worried about their animals, they shouldn't let them roam unsupervised in areas they know coyotes have been present.
>>
>>1988567

You forgot the part about pseudo-cocks f.a.m
>>
>>1990209
>The mammalian pseudo-penis appears to be simply for display, though the spotted hyena is an exception: the female spotted hyena additionally uses her pseudo-penis for urination, copulation, and childbirth. In addition, this makes it difficult for males to mate without the full cooperation of females, which means that mating preferences of the female are predominant.
>>
>>1990005
Wasn't one of the origins of the unicorn myth sightings of Oryx with only one horn? Not born with one, but one of the two broke.
So from a point of view, real life unicorns exist. And so do sirens.
>>
>>1990127
Holy crap it's like baby babble with science vocabulary. This shit is gibberish.
>>
I was at a petting zoo with my little cousin and a young cow walked up to me. I pet the shit out of that cow. I started to scratch its neck and it even did the dog "hit my leg against the ground" think and it eventually leaned into my arm and sat its head on my lap.

I feel as if not many people out there legit love cows and llamas like I do. They are my fucking bros. Whenever I went to a friend's farm I'd be hugging a llama in about ten minutes flat.
>>
>>1988976
I like em cause the industry collects all the shells from beaches to sell to us, so the real hermit crabs can't use them.
>>
File: Common_raven_by_David_Hofmann.jpg (378 KB, 1789x1571) Image search: [Google]
Common_raven_by_David_Hofmann.jpg
378 KB, 1789x1571
I love how such a common bird could have such an obnoxious call, and have the balls to be smart as hell, too.
>>
>>1990157
>they aren't outdated and are still used in scientific literature in the traditional sense.
kek
American I presume?
>>
>>1990480
Not that guy, but what do you mean?
That Lissamphibia is more correct (since it includes only extant amphibians) and that Reptilia includes birds or what?
>>
>>1990480
Not american, any book about herpetology uses both in the traditional sense.

>>1990486
Yeh he's trying to be smart. Pretty sure most people who like to study these things know that, but use the traditional sense of reptile and amphibian a lot.There's no real reason not to.
>>
>>1990486
I mean neither one is a taxon including its traditional members. Reptilia was abandoned and Amphibia now exludes most of its traditional members.

they haven't been used in taxonomy in the sense being used itt for longer than anyone here has been alive.
>>
>>1990500
>any book about herpetology uses both in the traditional sense.
the traditional sense is as taxa, they aren't those taxa anymore and haven't been for decades.

I'm not sure what books you read, but I'd guess they're for children.
>>
>>1990502
Vltt & Caldwell 2014 Herpetology

The ecology and behavior of amphibians Kentwood D. Wells

And an Atlas of the herpetofauna of my country

Unfortunately I don't have access to much more than this.
>>
>>1990501
>Reptilia was abandoned and Amphibia now exludes most of its traditional members
The crown gruop is called Sauria, but Reptilia still exist. Same goes for the Lissamphibia-Amphibia thing.

>>1990502
What book do you recommend?
>>
>>1990504
You don't need more.

Source: molecular biology MS
>>
>>1990504
yep.
none of those is a formal use of taxonomic nomenclature.

they AREN'T using them in the traditional sense, they're only referring to crown group Lissamphibia, not traditional amphibians.

and of course when they say "reptile" they don't mean birds or mammals, so they aren't using that in the taxonomic sense either.

Those words have no taxonomic meaning.
you just don't understand what "taxonomy" means.

You would easily pass for a product of American schools.
>>
>>1990505
>The crown gruop is called Sauria, but Reptilia still exist. Same goes for the Lissamphibia-Amphibia thing
saying something over and over doesn't make it true.

sorry.
>>
>>1990508
You can talk about them in a taxonomic sense if you use synapomorphic taits characteristic for the whole group, not just the extant ones.
>>
File: 1443261389974s.jpg (9 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
1443261389974s.jpg
9 KB, 250x247
>>1990508
>muh semantics

Great news, we have a new bugguy.
>>
>>1990512
absolutely, but they aren't called "reptiles" or "amphibians" then.

in taxonomy nothing is called reptiles anymore.
And amphibians exclude over half of traditional "Amphibia."
>>
>>1990513
I'm the old bugguy.

and don't make ridiculous claims about taxonomy and "reptiles and amphibians" if you don't want to be corrected.

to a taxonomist it's honestly funny that you even think those are still things. We got rid of them in 1975! when were you born?
>>
>>1990507
ok, so I see you are restricting the use of the word to taxonomy
I wasn't referring to taxonomy alone. That's why I said scientific literature.
The fact that they mention reptiles, excluding the birds, makes it the traditional sense. Of course not in a taxonomic sense.

>and of course when they say "reptile" they don't mean birds or mammals, so they aren't using that in the taxonomic sense either.

Mammals aren't reptiles.
>>
>>1990516
>I'm the old bugguy.
>credibility goes down the drain
>>
>>1990518
>Of course not in a taxonomic sense.
I'd have to go back and check but I think I used the word "taxonomy" in every single post I made, and I was responding directly to another post calling reptiles and amphibians "basic taxonomy."

>Mammals aren't reptiles
taxonomically there's no such thing as reptiles.
>>
>>1990516
>to a taxonomist it's honestly funny that you even think those are still things
But since you're nothing more than a gardener you wouldn't know about that :)
>>
>>1990520
oh, did I have some credibility with you before?
kek

bugguy has made a long and annoying career of copying me exactly.

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess.
>>
>>1990522
I don't have bugguy's green thumb.
He doesn't have my education.
>>
>>1990521
And probably you used, but I do have attention divided atm so I might have overlooked that.

Regardless I do agree with you if are talking about taxonomy alone.
>>
>>1990521
If somebody is not autistic they see when you use it in a taxonomical or everyday meaning. I don't really see your point.
>>
>>1990525
>oh, did I have some credibility with you before?

Why not? Your claims were argumented.
>>
>>1990528
>I don't really see your point.
my points are:
1. anon was incorrect saying it's basic taxonomy
2. it's funny that you faggots don't know basic science that happened long before you were born.
>>
>>1989070
You sir have excellent taste in animal
>>
>>1990521
>another post calling reptiles and amphibians "basic taxonomy."
That was me. I wasn't using "taxonomy" in a strict sense. I was just trying to illustrate the idiocy of equating not knowing the difference between a lizard and a salamander with not knowing the names of radio celebrities. I didn't expect a high octane autism shitfest to come from it, but congrats, you've impressed me.
>>
File: laQTuDg.jpg (35 KB, 453x500) Image search: [Google]
laQTuDg.jpg
35 KB, 453x500
>>1990602
>high octane autism shitfest

my sides
>>
>>1990602
>I wasn't using "taxonomy" in a strict sense.
which just goes to show how completely uneducated you and the rest of the public is about science.

there is no informal use of "taxonomy."
there is no hood version, no street usage, it isn't the vernacular. It's not slang, it's not even a word most people know. It has one meaning and you managed to fuck it up.

>I didn't expect a high octane autism shitfest to come from it, but congrats, you've impressed me.
you're an idiot and aren't used to people that aren't retarded talking to you. I can understand why. If I knew you irl I guarantee I wouldn't talk to you about anything more sophisticated than Sunday football.
>>
File: 356543.jpg (319 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
356543.jpg
319 KB, 960x640
These cuties.
>>
>>1990621
>pretends to be educated
>talks about sunday football.

kek
>>
File: 130221984383.png (84 KB, 299x288) Image search: [Google]
130221984383.png
84 KB, 299x288
>>1990516
Wait a minute. Are you seriously trying to claim that a tripfag stole your identity?
>>
>>1990625
I love all spiders, they hold back the insect hoards, but jumping spiders are just adorable
>>
>>1990632
I'm anonymous, I don't have an identity to steal.

bugguy spreads some memes I started.
>>
>>1990656
Such as?
>>
>>1990656
>>1990667
I'm guessing nociception and possibly the anti-outdoor cat thing. Assuming this is my nocicpetion-senpai (I'm overly pleased that I'm not the only one that calls him that anymore), I was honestly worried that bugguy was my senpai for a little bit, because his writing style is similar. But bugguy is definitely the bigger asshole, and often comes off as a tryhard young adult, rather than a tired and slightly bitter man.

Also,
>>1990526
shots fired.
>>
File: Platypus-7 (1).jpg (442 KB, 1772x1382) Image search: [Google]
Platypus-7 (1).jpg
442 KB, 1772x1382
>>1988567
these little fuzzballs tickle my fancy.
>>
File: camel cricket.jpg (102 KB, 550x378) Image search: [Google]
camel cricket.jpg
102 KB, 550x378
I like these little guys. Kept one as a pet for a few months when I was a teen. My father named it Edwardo, and refused to change the name when I identified Ed as a female.

Now there's one in the bathroom that I've been watching grow up. She appears next to the toilet at the same time most nights. She started off the size of my pinkie nail, now she's enormous, and has been around for about five months.
>>
>>1990693
>I'm guessing nociception and possibly the anti-outdoor cat thing
Possibly the nociception thing, but get the fuck over yourself with the outdoor cat thing. I wish I could kill people who let their cats run wild. It's BY FAR not just bugguy who this shit pisses off.
>>
>>1990693
yeah, nociception and the mirror test is mine.
Outdoor cats not so much.
>>
>>1990216
>the female spotted hyena additionally uses her pseudo-penis for urination, copulation, and childbirth.
>uses her pseudo-penis for urination, copulation, and childbirth.
>pseudo-penis
>childbirth.

Women should never complain about the patriarchy ever again. It's a fucking miracle from above that they don't have a dick or are forced to give birth through their urethra.
>>
>>1990806
Now I know who to blame.
>>
>>1990625
I love all spiders, they hold back the insect hoards, but jumping spiders are especially adorable
>>
>>1990835
yep, blame "Anonymous."
that bastard.
>>
>>1990793
>get the fuck over yourself
What? Chill, I don't like outdoor cats, either. They shit in my garden, tear my porch screen, and keep me up at night with their fighting. The arguing just reached a peak of ridiculousness a while back that seemed intentional.

>>1990806
You know what, though? I actually appreciate it. You've gotten me to spend more time researching shit than almost anyone else. I wouldn't have even thought to look for information on nociception.

>>1990811
Not giving birth through the urethra has very little, if anything, to do with gender inequality. That being said, I move to give epidurals to all birthing hyenas in captivity. The epidural was incredible, it made the birthing experience almost pleasant.
>>
>>1990694
But who doesn't love platypus?
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 568x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 568x375
>>1988976
I fucking love hermit crabs! The one I had lived for a couple years. I would always watch him eat.
>>
>>1991057
Most people are too stupid to be aware of more than a passing knowledge that they exist.
>>
File: Capybara_portrait.jpg (3 MB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
Capybara_portrait.jpg
3 MB, 2816x2112
These chill-ass giant guinea pigs
Goddamn I want one
>>
>>1991064
I'd assume even the most unaware of the normies would at least know them from Phineas and Ferb. Although Perry looks more like a mutant hybrid of a duck and a beaver than a proper platypus.

>ib4 that's what real-life platypus are
>>
File: 1416533490185.png (260 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
1416533490185.png
260 KB, 563x542
>>1991078
but anon that's what irl platypussies are xD
>>
File: Tree-Kangaroo-1-JPG.jpg (76 KB, 537x358) Image search: [Google]
Tree-Kangaroo-1-JPG.jpg
76 KB, 537x358
MOTHER FUCKIN' TREE-KANGAROOS.
>>
File: 980x.jpg (605 KB, 970x727) Image search: [Google]
980x.jpg
605 KB, 970x727
warthogs are pretty cool. I like Wild boars as well.
>>
File: silverfish.jpg (74 KB, 800x574) Image search: [Google]
silverfish.jpg
74 KB, 800x574
>>1988567
These guys. They look so fuken ancient.

No need to kill them, either, since there's bound to be at least ten more for each one you find. I just try to put them in areas where there's nothing they can damage.
>>
>>1988567
Thread is pretty derailed, but I really like Halloween crabs.
>living garbage disposals
>social if given enough room, and back to my first point, they eat the dead
>can be handled but I prefer them as a 'look don't touch' pet
>really entertaining to watch them do pretty much anything, especially so if
you provide soil they can burrow in
>terrestrial
Cool little animals, very entertaining.
>>
>>1991137
This was one I was going to mention. People hate Silverfish irrationally. They're so adorable.
>>
>>1991125
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME4oknMPxxU
warthogs being brutal
>Lion killed by male warthog
>>
File: noodler.jpg (63 KB, 795x524) Image search: [Google]
noodler.jpg
63 KB, 795x524
I think catfish are bad ass.
They eat anything, they have a cool mustache, and if they're tough enough to survive, they become sea monsters.
I just wish hicks would stop dragging them out of fucking rocks so they can chill and get big enough to eat children.
>>
>>1991190
Lel I agree.
>>
>>1991190
Fukn hicks.
>>
File: Opossum.jpg (185 KB, 499x769) Image search: [Google]
Opossum.jpg
185 KB, 499x769
Nobody ever says Opossums.
>>
File: New-Zealand-Opossums.jpg (71 KB, 585x439) Image search: [Google]
New-Zealand-Opossums.jpg
71 KB, 585x439
>>1991430
Because fuck those American things. New Zealand opossums +1
>>
>>1991430
I like these little guys. I don't understand why people are repulsed by them. They're cute and don't bother anyone.
>>
>>1991437
Americans literally hate anything living. You can see by how Americans treat their pets that they only tolerate them even.
>>
>>1990992
>I actually appreciate it.
and I appreciate you realizing that, while bugguy may be my twin, he is my evil twin.
>>
>>1991481
That makes him better. I like him because he hates you.
>>
>>1991430
I love them. They seem so bumbling to me, with their nearsightedness, and I think their faces are adorable.

One time a bush next to my porch kept rustling by me while I was on the phone. I kept telling whatever animal was in the bush to "keep it down, I'm on the phone."

Eventually, this opossum must've gotten curious about who was talking to it, because he walked out of the bush and just stared at me from about a foot away. After a moment of silence, I waved at it and said, "hi." He looked satisfied and slowly meandered back into the bush. He did not rustle the branches for the remainder of my phone conversation.

>>1991481
>>1991489
Oddly enough, I like nociception-senpai more because bugguy hates him. It's funny. But I already liked senpai.
>>
>>1991650
>One time a bush next to my porch kept rustling by me while I was on the phone. I kept telling whatever animal was in the bush to "keep it down, I'm on the phone."
>Eventually, this opossum must've gotten curious about who was talking to it, because he walked out of the bush and just stared at me from about a foot away. After a moment of silence, I waved at it and said, "hi." He looked satisfied and slowly meandered back into the bush. He did not rustle the branches for the remainder of my phone conversation.
That's adorable.
>>
>>1988907
These fuckers eat sprickets. They're okay in my book. Plus they're beautiful with all those legs
>>
>>1989569
>>1989598
Knowing what an amphibian is and knowing what a specific variety of amphibian is are two different things.
>So I saw a cormorant the other day and--
>What's a cormorant?
>Are you kidding me? How do you not know what a bird is?
That's you.
>>
>>1991764
Also,
>The other day I had a friend confusing salamanders with geckos
does not imply that he saw one and mistook it for the other. He could have just been mentioning them in conversation and misattributed the names.
>I brought my brother a gecko.
>Are those the slimy one that live in the dirt?
>No, those are salamanders. Geckos are the lizards with padded toes that can climb up glass and stuff.
>Oh, okay.
You guys are overly critical. It's like not knowing the make and model of a car you see out on the street. As long as you don't think it's a motorcycle, who cares?
>>
>>1991807
Oh boy, bugcu.ck is back, and he's more retarded than ever

>technically we're all fishes
>>
File: 1445772128353.jpg (28 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1445772128353.jpg
28 KB, 250x250
>>1991807
>reptiles are technically amphibians
>a gardener's view on phylogeny
>>
File: 1446572428662.gif (2 MB, 448x243) Image search: [Google]
1446572428662.gif
2 MB, 448x243
>>1991764
>mistaking a big order of amphibians (which most people only know 2 of them) with a reptiles it's the same than not knowing a specific family of birds, which have 20+ orders

ayy lmao
>>
>>1991824
>most people only know 2
Gymnophiona - the hipster amphibians
>>
>>1991814
that's true too.
>>1991818
clade/classistics.
>>
>>1991840
>classistics
that's not a word
>>
>>1991807
sure
>>
>>1991807
>Amphibian is now a synonym for Tetrapod
nice going
>>
File: Maned-three-toed-sloth.jpg (76 KB, 650x430) Image search: [Google]
Maned-three-toed-sloth.jpg
76 KB, 650x430
>>1988567
>maned sloth
Sloths are basically a meme now, but these guys are never mentioned.
>>
>>1988567
>>1988591
>>1988619

Their skulls look so fucking brutal
>>
>>1991807
>this again
>>
>>1991871
more like
>this pothead again
>>
>>1991840
in cladistics you belong to every clade your ancestors were.

amphibians, reptiles and fishes aren't clades.
so according to cladistics reptiles aren't amphibians because neither reptiles or amphibians exist. They aren't clades.
>>
>>1991900
this

and of course bugtard's arguing:
>i'll make up a word to make sure i'm right
kek
>>
>>1991906
>hence classistics.
it's already got several names:
gradistics.
evolutionary systematics.
the old way.
how we used to do things.
outdated paradigm.

it doesn't need another name.
>>
>>1991925
You mean "tetrapods", turdburglar?
>>
>>1991925
>reptile isn't a grade though, it's a class.
it's a grade under cladistics and a class in evolutionary systematics.

since we stopped using evolutionary systematics and adopted cladistics, it's a grade, not a class.
>>
File: 1441911015487.jpg (41 KB, 560x375) Image search: [Google]
1441911015487.jpg
41 KB, 560x375
>>1991935
>we never stopped using it
>we
>saying it like you're part of the scientific community
>>
>>1991935
>we never stopped using it,
true, if by "we" you mean the general public.
>>
>>1991939
I though he clearly implied he's NOT part of the scientific community.

since the scientific community stopped using gradistics while the laity continues to use it. When he said "we" use it, it's pretty clear he means the public in general.
>>
>>1991950
>he clearly implied he's NOT part of the scientific community

Oh no, he thinks he could have an article published on anything with his liberal arts major and "landscaping company".
>>
File: 1441490815429.jpg (94 KB, 806x813) Image search: [Google]
1441490815429.jpg
94 KB, 806x813
>>1991951
>the general public now has something to say in science
>>
>>1991960
I'd like to see how they get something banned in cladistics.

They are only concerned with
>muh evil GMOs
>>
>>1991960
>get things banned without backing it up with actual arguments

>getting facts banned
Wouldn't even be surprised if that happened in Burgerstan.
>>
>>1991970
>state anything you're saying publically and you'll likely end up with multiple lawsuits.
Nah, in the US we let people say pretty much whatever they want. You can't actually sue someone here for saying something you don't agree with.
>>
>>1991970
>state anything you're saying publically and you'll likely end up with multiple lawsuits.
>making shit up to have a point
ok
>>
>>1991974
You can't wait for that law to pass, huh?
>>
>>1991973
it's easy to test it out for yourself.
>>
>>1991974
notice that 4chan is based in the US.
we don't outlaw speech just for offending someone. You can say things on this site that would get you locked up in lots of countries. Because the US doesn't ban speech just for being offensive.
>>
>>1991978
Neil Shubin is not in prison as far as I know
>>
>>1991974
The point of that is it's lame to haze people for what they can't help.
So if someone's being an ass, it's cool to mock them or tell them to cut the crap, but teasing a retarded person is seen as kind of mean and weak.
I'm pretty sure you understand the difference, but about 15% of this site's content seems to stem from trolls pretending not to get it, or straight up manchildren who actually don't get it and think forcing common sense into law is their right as free human beings.
TLDR all this pc shit comes from dorks who need to be told what to do, the sjw types are just determined to be victims.
>>
>>1991984
>think that mod was removed due to complaints though.
I'm guessing they're just waiting for you to go off topic again so they have an excuse to ban you.

I guess we'll see.
>>
>>1991986
depends who you ask
>>
>>1991824
That wasn't my argument. You may not know that a cormorant is called a cormorant but you would obviously recognize that it's a bird if you saw one. Not knowing what name is attributed to what animal isn't the same as not knowing the difference between a reptile and an amphibian.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1905) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1905
>>1991986
Stay off of my /pol/ Bugguy. Your'e like an unfunny Antman

Also le last of its kind frog
>>
File: _20151104_221137.jpg (39 KB, 720x434) Image search: [Google]
_20151104_221137.jpg
39 KB, 720x434
Baby ferrets are the cutest fuckers on earth and everyone I know hates them
>>
>>1992184
I have ferrets and know a lot of people who used to dislike them, but after actually meeting my ferrets they've since fallen in love with them. I think ferrets just have a bad reputation and it's entirely unfounded.
>>
>>1990471
Came here to post this.

Intelligent ass dicks.
>>
>>1989124
Looks incredibly peeved
>>
>>1989187
>They're still subject to natural forces
Hunters are natural forces
>>
>>1993406
In the broadest terms, yes. But using that definition of "natural" sort of makes the entire discussion moot. We're talking about natural vs artificial here.
>>
>>1993415
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think humans are as natural as any other animal. Perhaps you think we were introduced into this environment from another world?
>>
Dunno why, but I've always found these fuckers cute.
>>
>>1993421
he's got a point.
why even have the word, "natural" if everything that exists is natural?
>>
>>1993430
What is unnatural about an animal hunting it's prey?
>>
>>1988580
fuck sharks
seriously
>>
File: basking.jpg (6 KB, 287x176) Image search: [Google]
basking.jpg
6 KB, 287x176
>>1993433
>>
>>1993431
the use of a gun or bow or any other artifacts of humanity that don't occur in nature on their own.
>>
>>1989187
I just read an article in National Geographic about how they were reintroducing wolves into national parks to bring deer numbers down because deer were overpopulating, eating all of one type of food as well as stripping the bark and leaves off one kind of riverside tree, which fucked up the whole look and biome of streams.
National Geographic, what would they know?
>>
>>1993442
Saying that human technology is unnatural is like saying a beaver dam is unnatural. It's what we do.
>>
>>1993444
Natgeo was recently sold to fox news.
they never were science, but now they're just bullshit.
>>
>>1993448
yes.
that doesn't mean the distinction is ecologically useless.

and our technology is well beyond beavers or any other animals. We're way past instinctively building nests and shit.
>>
>>1993444
>I just read an article in National Geographic about how they were reintroducing wolves into national parks to bring deer numbers down because deer were overpopulating
Yeah, that's not exactly why wolves were reintroduced. They were making an attempt to restore the ecosystem in their minds, which included wolves. Many were against the move in the first place and were proven right in the end.

And here's the result:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/elkinfo.htm

I like how they tried to claim wolves dindu nuffin for as long as they possibly could and I already know it's because humans have an autistic attachment to predatory animals because they like killing and anything that's successful at it they see as "majestic" and they admire. But the fact is, the wolves fucked up the megafaunal community in Yellowstone AND they became a pest to people who lived around the park, killing their pets and livestock.

>National Geographic, what would they know? Not a whole hell of a lot, generally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeoraptor
>>
>>1993451
And yet is is integral to what we are. It is our ecological niche.To ask humans not to use their brains to interact with their environment is like demanding that birds cease flying.
>>
>>1993456
>And yet is is integral to what we are. It is our ecological niche
absolutely.

but that still doesn't make the distinction ecologically useless.

in fact ecology is largely predicated on the distinction between things we CAN or CANNOT control.
>>
>>1993457
I CAN control my appetite for chips but I won't.
>>
>>1993459
you can control your diet, not your appetite.
>>
>>1993440
fuck off sharkposter
>>
>>1993460
Ok, hold on. Where were we going with this? I can't clearly remember the arc of my argument.
>>
File: 1317988610369.jpg (161 KB, 470x500) Image search: [Google]
1317988610369.jpg
161 KB, 470x500
>>1993463
not sure, you lost me at chips.
>>
>>1991430

I love opossums, I think they're cute.
>those ears
>that pink nose

have this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRIVTEBaLkA
>>
>>1993465
I see. Well played then, Anon
>>
>>1988594
Dude dont man. Just dont. Thats like getting a koi fish tattoo
>>
File: jackal yawn.jpg (32 KB, 276x195) Image search: [Google]
jackal yawn.jpg
32 KB, 276x195
>>1988594
If you aren't in a tribe, don't get a "tribal tattoo." Ok Chad from Orange County?

Picture unrelated. Cute Jackal.
>>
>>1991150
I don't know the general term for these animals so Ill just use pig. All wild pigs are fucking tanks, they are dangerous as fuck.
>>
>>1989608
The only problem with them is they fuck up any other living thing in the tank
>>
They are assholes but I respect their commitment to keeping the 1950's motorcycle gang tradition of hassling people for no reason alive and well

Also they are pretty nice to look at when they aren't rolling up in a big group to ruin whatever it is you're doing
>>
>>1993440
Was diving off the Isle of Wight and my buddy pointed over my shoulder, Basking Shark was cruising slightly above us.
Well over 3x my body length, scared the shit out of me.
>>
>>1994717
I like Canada Geese too. Yeah, they're assholes, but whatever. Humans deserve it. The only thing I don't like is the prodigious degree of shit they produce. It's almost as bad as dog shit.
>>
>>1989124
it's the goddamn mouth of sauron
>>
>>1991065
they look like they don't get excited about anything

are they really just giant guinea pigs and not much more? regular guinea pigs are boring enough
>>
I love me some pigeons. Fancy, common, whatever, I like em all. Such pretty birds that get shat on too often.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 71

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.