[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Saving Animals and Stopping Euthanasia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: daww malinois.jpg (3 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
daww malinois.jpg
3 MB, 3872x2592
Hey /an/. I'm working on a school project that is analyzing the feasibility of a service that helps reduce the euthanasia rate of animals in shelters. I am NOT selling anything or trying to market this service, I just need feedback on this idea and see if it's something we can take forward. Also, feel free to leave comments in this thread. Pic unrelated.
>>
Whelp, I'm dumb, forgot to post the survey:
http://fullerton.qualtrics.com//SE/?SID=SV_6hdwkl21L8IKlHn
>>
>>1987243
You want to lower the rate of euthanasia in shelters? Get people to keep their fucking animals in their god damned houses and stop keeping pets they can't fucking manage.
>>
>>1987243
i live in chile and it breaks my heart seeing packs of hungry suffering dogs roaming around town.

shelters are a service to society and they need to euthanise animals to keep the population under control. Theres no worse fate for the dog than living in hunger and suffering on the streets, just so a few soft humans dont have to face the harshness of population control.
>>
No. Get out.
>>
Less pets=less euthanasia.
>>
I work at a shelter, and let me put this in the nicest way possible

this will not work. the only way to significantly lower population is pushing spay/neuter and more education on why breedfags and other BYBs are garbage. the only other solution is mass euthanasia, which even then isn't a solution because then people wouldn't have the education and just keep making more animals that would "just be euthanized". the general public already has a piss poor sense of responsibility to companion animals, it would only get worse if you enforce that all the dogs who "aren't their problem" would be euthanized anyway. it would just get worse. plus getting the money and tech support to run a program like this wouldn't be easy. you're better off doing fundraisers for local shelters and volunteering, and even trying to support laws that would put more heat on owners to be responsible for their pets

>>1989548
>i live in chile
I doubt anon does
>>
>>1989602
I do live here in chile, and we have underfunded goverment plans to spay/neuter dogs and they are not effective. The goverment pushes this plans because they are less expensive than inplementing a shelter sistem.

yesterday i saw a pregnant dog trying to cross the street she seemed hungry and desperate, she made it but people didnt even slow down.

Im sorry that people that live in nice countries dont understand how humane the shelter sistem is.

Bonus points im a chilean vet.
>>
Professional dog trainer here. I have worked in many shelters and i will say that pushing the spay neuter propaganda is not working. In fact simply having shelters where people know they can feel comfortable abandoning there pets instead of taking fucking responsibility is the bigger issue. If people understood that when they got a dog that meant they would have to control and care for it its entire life or be the one to watch it get put down /abandon it in the streets / try and rehome it themselves...they would be a lot less likely to get in over their heads in the first place. We spay/neuter more dogs here in the US than any other country in the world. If you look at europe they do not have nearly the amount of problems with their dogs because everyone there knows they have to take responsibility for their own dogs. Also, breeders are not the issue either, this is really the only way that people can have an idea of what responsibilities they are taking on by knowing what kind of dog it is. Puppy mills are a huge problem however...these are not breeders they are mostly Amish people who think of dogs as nothing other than livestock and a way to turn a profit. Breeding done the right way won't make the breeder any profit, these are usually people who are trying to better the breed and are extremely particular about who takes the dogs in the first place. Not the way that shelters will give out dogs to just about anyone who wants them.
>>
>>1987243
It sounds like catch-neuter-release works pretty well in preventing feral births. The neutered animals still control territory, thereby reducing the birth rate of un-neutered animals. It's more effective than catch-and-euthanize because in that case, un-neutered animals come in, meet each other, and have babies.

But really the only solution is to get far more pet owners to neuter/spay. They seem to outnumber breeders - who also need to be shut down.
>>
>>1990062
>spay neuter propaganda is not working

It would work if it was actually pushed and we had some goddamn regulation. How we still have puppy stores/mills is beyond me. Breeders are another 'issue' but I think you mean to specify BYBs, which are the ones cranking out puppies for money/letting their dogs breed because whatever.
If they can ban certain dog breeds from an area, they can push a mandatory spay/neuter(with exceptions, obviously) and/or a license to breed.

Its really gross how millions of cats/dogs that are perfectly adoptable get put down and we just have to shrug it off. There's honestly nothing we can do about it to even put a dent in it unless something like the above were to happen. Also possibly stricter animal cruelty laws. A dog that looks like complete shit out in the cold/heat but 'nothing can be done about it because it has food and shelter(a box)' is pure bullshit.
>>
1. stop accepting "stray" healthy grown cats. Cats wander. Just because one is in a park doesn't mean it's a stray

2. have a TNR program for the cats that are feral

3. Place a waiting period for people who want to put their animals in the shelter, and fine them if you found out they dumped them (lots of people will try to give their dog away on CL, and dump it somewhere if that doesn't work. This provides pretty concrete evidence when it happens)

4. Reach out to breed rescues.

all this helped my local shelter a lot. We actually have empty cages and kennels, and we now only destroy an animal if we're sure it can't be rehabilitated.
>>
it should be increased if anything.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.