[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to obtain skulls or animal heads?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (517 KB, 2000x1976) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
517 KB, 2000x1976
I live in Ontario, and am moving soon. Because of the layout and set up of my next home I'd really like to do a few European mounts (deer, a ram or sheep, perhaps a pig or horse). But, I'm having a really hard time obtaining them because apparently they need to be licensed. I know when I was a kid my uncles, who were native, and now deceased would make them by the dozen to sell to locals. I even helped in the boil and bleaching process. Does anyone know where I should start looking? I just don't want to pay $600 + shipping on something I use to make free as a kid. I contacted a few friends who hunt but they really have given me empty leads so far.
>>
>>1986107
edgelord alert
>>
>>1986110

Not really.
I don't want them for bragging rights. I don't even have many people besides family. It's just a farm house, and I want to go more rustic with some European mounts. Not like I want an over kill of them either. Better use for them and more respectful to that animal then simply going into the trash
>>
Those are almost always going to have a steep price unless you get the animal yourself and set up the mount yourself. You could try second hand stores or other such places online.
>>
>>1986113
>Better use for them and more respectful to that animal then simply going into the trash
I don't see how
>>
Where you are moving to
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 320x320
>>1986205
Different people different philosophies.

preservation of beauty and honoring the existence of the animal by using it's remains as decor for people to admire for years to come.

Other people might think it's disrespectful because the animal spirit is being triggered by the fact that it's body is being used as decor.
>>
>>1986255
>it's body is being used as decor.
That sickens me.
>>
>>1986263
Congratulations, you are a girl.
>>
>>1986255
I doubt anything short of elephants and cetaceans would mind being a conversation starter after dying
>>
>>1986263
It's a neat hobby. There's no reason for it to sicken you unless you're just overly sensitive and spiritual.
I use my dead insects for display and I collect skulls. My one friend actually sells skulls and skeletons for a business he owns. He uses beetles to clean them off but I forgot to ask him how he collects them. People bring them to him but I forget why.
>>
>>1986107
Go inna woods
>>
File: rottings process rode vos.jpg (3 MB, 3078x1835) Image search: [Google]
rottings process rode vos.jpg
3 MB, 3078x1835
>>1986107

It's just luck finding them, Assuming you got quite some nature around you you could just walk "hike" around and see if you can spot some.

I found this one im busy with in the dunes in the netherlands.

If you want them already done by someone else it would cost you quite some/a lot
>>
>>1986107
skulls unlimited
>>
>>1986263
Yet butchering and eating the flesh is fine? Fuck off
>>
>>1986216

Outside of my city, to a farm house that is a duplex. (amazing rent, close to work, 30 acres of land).

>>1986263

I don't see why. But, maybe I grew up wit ha different philosophy than you. My uncles (who aren't my uncles but are? Marriage.) adopted me as a child for almost 10 years. Whenever they hunted they used EVERY bit of an animal. It was their philosophy. Absolutely zero part went to waste. They would make clothes, dog food, string, and items to sell and trade.

>>1986984
>>1987563

I've tried. All I can find are foxes, and opossums (which one tested positive for rabies a while back and I'm hesitant to pick any up). We're trying to find larger animals. Some deer, ram or sheep, big, boyfriend really wants a cow skull. I have no issue doing all the work myself. But apparently the only way you can get heads is by having licenses or being a hunter. None of which i have or am.
>>
>>1987735
you can go to the butcher for the cow skull, you can just ask for it.

no joke
>>
>>1987808

Thanks, I'm going to start phoning butchers and asking.
Any guesstimate on prices? None are open this late and we only have two. We have one a city over that does bear and deer meat etc so I will phone them too
>>
>>1987810

I don't have a clue about the pricing, but this how a friend got one a couple years ago. it's worth a try
>>
>>1987735
I never hear of needing license for this things . if you buy skull or head online you can do what you want. taxidermy.net is good place to buy . you're looking for domestic animals/native north American wildlife, so Americans there should be able to ship to you ok. there are many sites you can buy skulls.
>>
>>1987829
>>1987818

Thanks a bunch guys.
I have to wait for season to be done to get the heads but I am getting them free on January 1-5th.

And apparently there are laws when it comes to buying them or requesting them. This guy is doing it under the table, and said he thinks itès b.s. too.
>>
>>1987833
Must be different in Canada. In U.S. you can buy, sell, trade cleaned skulls and tan hides for no license required . however I think, technically, you need license to buy, sell, or trade raws. But maybe it's one of those laws who is not enforced strictly. I love my skulls . they are the most precious non-living things I own .
>>
Did butcher/abbatoir say no?
>>
Roadkill? some of the skulls might not be intact, but you can get some pretty decent finds sometimes.
>>
>>1986269
>implying the average girl is that stupid
>>
>>1992189
>not belonging here
>>
>boiling
>bleaching

Don't do this.

>>1987840
Depends on what kind of animal it is and state laws. Such as in some states you are not allowed to sell velvet deer antlers(pic related), pick up antler sheds, most places do not allow fawn parts without them being from a captive animal, etc. I have a black bear skull I was gifted in NJ from someone out of state. In NJ, it is illegal to buy/sell/trade for black bear parts, but they are legal to own if you hunted it(legally with a permit and in it's season) OR it was given to you.

http://www.thegreenwolf.com/animal-parts-laws/
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.