[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/, /fa/ here, Can somebody recommend me a couple of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: 1NewMorph315.jpg (74 KB, 315x209) Image search: [Google]
1NewMorph315.jpg
74 KB, 315x209
Hey /an/, /fa/ here,

Can somebody recommend me a couple of lizards/chamelons that aren't an insectivores? I did a little research but everywhere they tell me if you want a cute reptile you have to feed them disgusting crickets and other nasty, vomit inducing things I wouldn't touch with a ten foot long pole.
Now, the way I see it, the only other options left are frugivores and herbivores, or even actual carnivores, like stuff that eats mice. Anyone got ideas?
>>
Iguanas are herbivores no? Or are they like tegus and need a highly varied diet?

Not that I'd recommend either to anyone without a lot of reptile experience.
>>
>>1985197
awww, he's cute! His skin looks almost like moss on trees.
I'll look into those thanks!
>>1985205
well, I have a tropical freshwater aquarium if that counts for experience with animals? it's 4 years old, very stable. I recently started working, and I really wanna buy a cute reptile with my first or second paycheck.
>>
>>1985205
Iguanas are pretty strict herbivores when they're adults, as juveniles they'll eat insects occasionally.

>>1985194
An option might be a blue tongued skink, they're omnivores which need a varied diet of meat and veg but the meat can be dead, so like minced meat, even eggs.

http://bluetongueskinks.net/foodchart.html
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Blue-Tongue-Skink/
>>
>>1985209
>His skin looks almost like moss on trees.

>not like a wrinkly old scrotum

you have a cleaner mind than I.
>>
>>1985215
>wrinkly old scrotum
lol you do have a point there
>>
>>1985194
I'm actually curious too because I don't want escaped crickets chirping all over my house, that'd be annoying as fuck.
>>
>>1985197
I want one of those.
>>
>>1985370
Crickets are shit feeder insects, even if you get silent ones they're really fast, jumpy and annoying. There's better choices like locusts, which even if you see one jump away they're really easy to catch.
>>
File: iGOtu86[1].jpg (68 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
iGOtu86[1].jpg
68 KB, 720x960
Gargoyle gecko tbh
>>
>>1985388
Covered in >>1985197
>Rhacodactylus sp.
>>
File: b3719e2e.jpg (150 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
b3719e2e.jpg
150 KB, 1280x960
>>1985194
Why don't you try amphibians instead?
Paddle tail newts are very interesting, and you can feed them frozen worms and pellets.
>>
>>1985501
>amphibians
Actually I've thought about that. I really like tree frogs, but they too are insectivores. And I'd probably end up taking the easy way and buying axolotols in the end. Axolotols are absolutely adorable, but they're pretty much like tropical fish which I already have, and I kinda want something that's not aquatic.
Lizards on the other hand are terrestrial,so I have a chance to create a whole new biome in my home, be it desert or rainforest.
>>
Iguanas are strict herbivores, but are also enormous and can send you to the emergency room if they decide to maul you on one of their frequent hormonal rampages.
>>
File: 1445379730705.jpg (97 KB, 832x624) Image search: [Google]
1445379730705.jpg
97 KB, 832x624
>>1985517
There are many species that can be kept in semi-aquatic enclosures and accept frozen food, like pleurodeles waltl, bombina orientalis and triturus marmoratus.
>>
>>1985209
Iguanas are bad choices because they get big, real big, and they can get mean. Their tail can do serious damage.
>>
>>1985560
>accept frozen food
>bombina orientalis

Oh, I envy you. Mine only want live prey.
>>
>>1985560

As someone who has never had fish before...how expensive is that set up?

I mean it looks like the dream enclosure. that anyone could want.
>>
Uromastyx are also viable choices.
>>
>>1985595
probably like a thousand dollars.
>>
>>1985743
uromastyx benefit from live food once a week though
>>
>>1985595
Not much more than an aquarium of the same size, but there are a lot of work hours involved. The "rockwork" and plumbing is done mostly with cheap builder's foam and PVC pipes. The most expensive part would be the plants and possibly the lights.
>>
>>1985595
There's more time/expertise involved than money. I've built a few 55G paludariums and the hard part is making sure the system works as a whole, meaning you don't have substrate leaking into the water, you don't have little crevices where fish/other animals can get behind the false rock work,you can easily access the heater/filter/airstone/etc. for maintenance, and you've provided the proper environment for ALL inhabitants. The costs are fairly limited, with the tank and water filter usually being the most expensive parts.
>>
>>1986082
>The most expensive part would be the plants and possibly the lights.
>the light
oh god don't remind me. For my shitty 14 gallon tank, the top that houses that single fluorescent tube cost almost as much as the tank, filter and heater all together.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
11 KB, 259x194
>>1985194
I own a chuckwalla that looks like pic. Such a nice pet even if they're not "cute" - I mostly feed mine rocket, curly kale, chopped peppers and apples or strawberries as a treat.

They're pretty expensive pets though because the vivarium is kept at desert temperatures, so like 45C on the hot side.
>>
>>1986076
Aside from stimulation, not really. Animal protein isn't good for them.
>>
>>1986230
The first time I looked at that pic I thought it was a komodo dragon. dear lord.
>>
>>1985194
But the perk of insectivores is that you HAVE to keep live crickets. You get the benefit of falling asleep to crickets like in summer, only year-round
>>
>>1986870
>You get the benefit of falling asleep to crickets
I can't sleep a wink with those fuckers in my room.
>>
>>1985194
>>1986882

Wow what a pussy
>>
>>1986926
It's like having a dirty hooker sitting next to you scraping the dried cum off her teeth with a rusty fucking spoon.
>>
>>1986938
cum can't dry in your mouth, anon
>>
>>1986940
Have you even tried?
>>
>>1986946
I usually swallow, so no ;)
>>
>>1986870
>wanting to keep crickets
The sound is nice in moderation. It quickly becomes irritating. They also smell fucking awful, holy shit. It's actually best to go into roaches unless you keep small species.
>>
>>1986870
No need to suffer the noise of crickets. There are alternatives. Dubia roaches or locusts (in the UK) are both more pleasant to deal with. Phoenix worms are great, and the soldier flies they hatch in to. Silk worms, horn worms, butter worms, etc. Lots of things you can do other than crickets. Also, even if your insectivore refuses to eat Repashy Grub Pie, you can leave a little bit of it in the food dish is the tank as a high protein pre-feed gutload for your insects; mealworms, superworms, and crickets I know will eat it readily.
>>
>>1986870
>But the perk of insectivores is that you HAVE to keep live crickets.
not only do you not have to, you shouldn't be, they're shitty feeders. get roaches.
>>
>>1985194

Crested Gecko

they're omnivores but you don't actually have to feed them crickets you can just feed them all in one diet stuff
>>
>>1985194
If crickets make you vomit perhaps owning a pet isn't for you.
>>
>>1987584
crickets are gross anon, they make everyone puke.
>>
>>1985563
Like this guy said. You can keep a baby iguana in a 4-50gal tank, but as they get older you need bigger areas. A full grown adult iguana needs at least 6ftx6ftx6ft (the height is important because they need to climb, they are arboreal lizards)

And the males can be super agressive. I have a pretty calm one and still got occasionally whipped (even though he would usually just come up and climb right on me)
>>
>>1987564
Are they actually nutritionally bad, provided you gutload them and everything? The way I understood it is just that they are inconvenient compared to roaches.
>>
File: 9437865.jpg (77 KB, 602x406) Image search: [Google]
9437865.jpg
77 KB, 602x406
>>1989389
They're not as good nutritionally as roaches are. I found a random chart to compare them for you.
>>
>>1989425
A lot of those percentages add up to over 100%. Phoenix worms are less than ten percent moisture? Never feed mealworms to a bearded dragon?
>>
>>1985194
>/fa/
>afraid of crickets
God damn what a fag
Cleaning out poop is worse than having to touch crickets
>>
>>1990493
>Cleaning out poop is worse than having to touch crickets
oh yea, that's super nasty. When I decided to get a pet a couple of years ago, I choose an aquarium with a couple of fish. The crap gets dissolved fast and turns into nitrates which feeds the plants, so it's very economic.
Plus the fish are literally marinated in water at all times which makes them very clean, hygienic pets.

I'm guessing with the correct set up, geckos and lizards too could have their own little ecos-system where crap gets used by the plants. I'm still in the process of research, but when I'm done I'll have a fully functioning, insect and mostly crap free lizard vivarium. It'll be very /fa/.
>>
>>1991885
>I'm guessing with the correct set up, geckos and lizards too could have their own little ecos-system where crap gets used by the plants

Yes this is easily accomplished. You don't even need the plants. A culture of springtails, pillbugs, other isopods etc. with very efficiently take care of the majority of gecko waste. Most of my tank cleaning is removing urates on the glass and fake plants.
>>
>>1991885
As >>1992139 explained, you're going to have either a crap-free or bug-free ecosystem, not both.
>>
Its possible to get breaded dragons or leopard geckos to accept freezedried insects, which means its probably likely you could get many geckos used to them though its never guaranteed. Many tropical geckos are willing to eat reconstituted fruit mix too, but I don't know how reasonable that would be as a balanced diet.

Generally though, most reptiles small enough to be comfortably kept in your house are insectivores or omnivores.

>>1991885
There are potentially set ups that are full ecosystems, but most of them have some kind of creepy crawly detritivorous microfauna.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.