[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I carpet my Aquarium? I really want to do this and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: HC2.jpg (101 KB, 730x258) Image search: [Google]
HC2.jpg
101 KB, 730x258
How can I carpet my Aquarium? I really want to do this and I need help. Any tips/answers/advice would be highly appreciated
>What are the best plants/moss for this?(fast growing/hard to kill).
>Can I grow some without any additional products?
>do I grow them in my established tank or the"dry method"?
>If my tank is already established and I do grow the carpet with dry method outside the tank, is it safe to transfer to my tank once it grows a lot?
>does having a carpet change water levels?
>are there known shrimp/fish that will eat such plants?
>>
also how exactly does hair grass spread? I get the other plants but this one seems to only grow up, how does it spread horizontally across the ground
>>
File: P1020057.jpg (32 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
P1020057.jpg
32 KB, 600x338
>>2167281
>>What are the best plants/moss for this?(fast growing/hard to kill).
Growth rates are going to depend on your lighting, ferts, and CO2. Moss is going to be slower than other plants, but it's among the easiest if you tie it to wood.
>>Can I grow some without any additional products?
No ferts or CO2?
Dwarf sag, moss, marsilea minuta, glossostigma (maybe), chain sword (maybe), crypt parva (spreads super slow), anubias petite (also super slow)
>>do I grow them in my established tank or the"dry method"?
Dry start is to make it grow faster.
>>If my tank is already established and I do grow the carpet with dry method outside the tank, is it safe to transfer to my tank once it grows a lot?
I'd only suggest it if you're planning on buying a very small portion of plants.
You'll put the plants through some shock and may cause them to melt by transferring them, but they could grow back. Actually hunching over with tweezers and planting the stems is also an incredible bitch, so most people prefer to let the plants establish themselves and spread on their own.
>>does having a carpet change water levels?
No more than any other plant.
>>are there known shrimp/fish that will eat such plants?
Whatever fish/inverts eat other plants. Boisterous bottom-dwellers can be a problem while the tank is newly planted.

>>2167282
horizontal underground roots called "runners."
>>
>>2167314
i love you anon, thank you so much, I hope everyone else replies as thoughtfully as you
>>
>>2167281
The best way for sure is to get some marimo moss balls, cut them open and flatten them, then tie them to plastic mesh. Arrange however you want, and let them sit to darken up. They will also grow thicker and more lush.

Best part about it, is that unlike other carpeting plants, whenever you get new decorations you can pull the plastic mesh up, just like a rug, and rearrange your marimo moss carpet. Whereas with other carpeting plants, you have to dig up their roots and always run the risk of killing them.
>>
>>2167327
and they spread well?
>>
>>2167590
Not him, but mine spread out a little less than an inch over five months. It does a better job of getting bushier than it does covering ground.
>>
>>2167601
yikes, wouldnt want that. thanks for the info
>>
File: the charming head.jpg (761 KB, 2527x1685) Image search: [Google]
the charming head.jpg
761 KB, 2527x1685
>>2167281
Snail graveyard is the lowest maintenance groundcover.
>>
>>2167608
That's fantastic, I love it. I'm surprised at how many fancy shells there are though.
>>
>>2167608
lol, cute but I want plants
>>
>>2167609
They're from all the snails that die at the local shops. I ask for the empty shells when I go there. The fancier ones are nerites. This is several months' worth from three different stores.
>>
>>2167619
thats pretty cool anon
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.