[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are some /an/ approved dog training methods? i have decided
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: giantdog.jpg (456 KB, 574x648) Image search: [Google]
giantdog.jpg
456 KB, 574x648
what are some /an/ approved dog training methods? i have decided to get a dog when the winter passes, and i want to be prepared when the time comes. naturally, i want to cover all the basic stuff, but i would also like to train the dog to be protective of me and my house, and to start or stop manically barking on command. any pointers or recommended resources are appreciated. pic unrelated
>>
>>2003601
>i would also like to train the dog to be protective of me and my house

this is a slippery slope. teaching human-aggression (which is basically what you mean when you say "protective") in a creature whose decision making processes are much narrower than our own can be dangerous, to say the least. and there is always a trade-off. when you teach a dog to be a "guard dog," it doesn't understand well in which situations it needs to go by what you have taught it, and in which situations you're just bringing over your new girlfriend, or whatever.

if you're attached to the idea of a protective dog, you're better off just going with a breed that's more innately attentive and making very sure you're drilling in the discipline.

there are a bunch of really good resources out there, but just stay away from cesar milan. and if you see the phrase "alpha roll" stay away from anyone who recommends that as well.
>>
>>2003606
thanks for the input. i will read up on naturally protective breeds. one of my family is expecting a litter of english mastiff/great dane puppies, i was thinking about grabbing one of them.
>>
>>2003611

it's a little scary at first, but just realize that it's not rocket science. take everything you read with a grain of salt and recognize you always just have to be smarter than the dog. they have literally evolved alongside us to serve us as companions and tools. producing a well-trained dog is time-consuming, but the malleability is there, ingrained in his genetics. that said, puppies are lovable little retards and will do their best to prove everything i said wrong. shitting in the house, pissing in your shoes, chewing on your power cords, etc. but it all goes away with time and firm discipline.

good luck, anon
>>
>>2003611
English Mastiffs are quite protective, but Great Danes really aren't much of guard dogs.

You may or may not see guard dog temperament in the resulting puppies.
>>
>>2003611
I've had an english mastiff and he was just naturally protective.

He was a big puppy though, really nice with people, kids, was sort of autistic around other dogs though. He wouldn't start shit but I think him just being so big and running right up to them spooks them.

I could tell he just guarded on instinct though. Would always position himself between me and strangers, stuff like that.

They don't live long though ;_;
>>
>>2003606
>cesar Milan
Why ?

>alpha roll
What is this, I'll Google in the meantime, bit I'd appreciate a human conversation about this.

I never had a pet, but I need to and want to do the best job I can do if I ever do get a dog.
>>
>>2003899
I see. Google it. Alpha roll seems pretty extreme.

And I'm assuming that avoiding cesar Milan is because he endorses this kind of stuff, correct?
>>
Does anyone know what a dogs IQ number is compared to a humans? I remember hearing 40 or so when I was a kid but when I look it up all google produces is the fact that a dog is about as smart as a two tear old and two year old's IQ's are listed the same as adults.
>>
>>2003900
yeah, he uses debunked "be the alpha" bullshit and there's just way too many times his methods can backfire or not work as well as others. he's regarded as full of shit in the animal training/behavior community for a reason
>>
>>2003611
Both of those breeds are notoriously unhealthy. Bad hips, heart problems and cancer are prevalent in both breeds. Unless both parents are thourally health screened (CERF, OFA) you are asking for a dog with a very short, sick lifespan. Also, that would make the breeder a BYB (which is highly probable since no reputable breeder would mix those breeds), and you don't want to get a dog from a BYB.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.