[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will getting a dog make me feel less depressed? I'm against
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1464076458405.jpg (14 KB, 326x326) Image search: [Google]
1464076458405.jpg
14 KB, 326x326
Will getting a dog make me feel less depressed? I'm against drugs and want something to make me feel better.
>>
You'll get overwhelmed by all of your new responsibilities, then end up mistreating or neglecting your dog. Fix the underlying cause of your "depression" first before you commit to getting a pet
>>
>>2162646
You ought to go to /fit/. Exercising is a great way to combat depression, because you get a boost of endorphins (natural high to combat chemical depression) and you begin building up more testosterone (more if you're a guy, but still a noticeable bit if you're a girl) which boosts your confidence/assertiveness (combats psychological depression). I was on a buncha meds for depression before that only served to kill my libido, which made me even more depressed. I decided to go walking around the neighborhood every day and slowly segued into jogging, and added lifting afterwards. I felt much better.

>>2162651
This. I'd say start getting in shape, and then get a dog once you start to feel a bit better. Use your dog as motivation to continue feeling better/to go walking every day.
>>
>>2162646
Pretty solid advice from other anons - a dog is a big commitment for the duration of its life, and it's not a feels-based decision to take lightly. It will all be based on if you can personally turn yourself around - if you can, a doggo companion to help you go further could be the best thing in the world. If not, it'll just be even more miserable for both you and the dog.

t. someone also going through that inital phase of sorting myself out before I get the pupper treatment
>>
>>2162651
>>2162660
>>2162676
Thanks for the help, I'll give it time before thinking about getting a dog
>>
A dog is a commitment but maybe that's what you need. I know when I'm down having a little retarded fluff waiting for me at home keeps me going.

I say go for it, just understand that this is a life you're putting in your hands. Take care of it and it will take carr of you.
>>
Two things can happen:
1) As other anon have said, you get massively overwhelmed and your pupper suffers for it.
2) The pup gives you a sense of purpose, and a reason to live. Knowing you have another creature depending on you for its comfort and happiness is powerful.

That being said, it's impossible to know how you'll feel. I agree with the other anons: get your life on track and then get a pup.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.