[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
redpill me on axolotls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: CIMG5490.jpg (63 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
CIMG5490.jpg
63 KB, 1200x900
redpill me on axolotls
>>
They will never love you
>>
Bump for info

I've been considering getting one for a while now. A lady in my town breeds them and sells them for $10. I'm aware of the setup they need and that's ok. I just feel like there's something I should know that might make me reconsider..
>>
They are cute! Cuuuute!

I've had one for 4 years.
Don't put two together as babies or they'll eat each other.
Care is pretty easy. They like cold water, but not freezing cold. I haven't ever had to buy a water cooler just by placing the tank under my cool air vent. As long as you have a good filter, you don't need to do water changes too frequently. When you do the water changes, it's best to leave some of the old water in the tank so it doesn't recycle.
They won't ever care about you, but they can tell the difference between you and something else. Mine follows me when I come into the room because it knows I can give it food. It doesn't follow the dog or my sister, since they don't feed it.
It should be fed every other day, but don't panic if you forget because they have slow metabolisms.
They feel very slimy and squishy, but you shouldn't hold them outside of transferring tanks.
They often bite your fingers because they're dumb and think they're worms/food, but it doesn't hurt. They don't have teeth. Their mouths feel like suction cups.

I'll answer any other questions.
>>
>>2160351
They're actually freaks of nature that maintain their juvenile form throughout their lives. If exposed to certain chemicals they'll actually be forced to undergo a metamorphosis into proper salamanders, but they'll then soon die because they can't biologically sustain themselves in that form.
>>
>>2160351
They are fun lil cute bloops an made a squish.
I've heard conflicting reports on ideal substrate; some say gravel is bad, some say it's okay. I just went with sand (white for my melanistics, black for my leucistics) to play it safe, but they don't need substrate.

Make sure there's nothing in their habitat that can cut them or that they can jam a stamper or pinch a wiggle in because their skin is SOFT. They possess amazing powers of regeneration, but there's no excuse for inflicting undue stress or injury on a pet.

Harsh light is a DON'T. Axolotls do not need lighting, but if you provide it make sure to give them many a hidey holes to slink away in. They like a privacy! Also, make sure your lights don't put out too much heat cuz it can mess with the water temperature.

Important! Waterflow is a no-no. If you're using a circulating filter make sure it's got a diffuse output or a spraybar. Too much disturb and they get sad and won't eat.
>>
Ive found Mrs's puff
>>
>>2160520
>Mrs's
>"misseses"
>>
>>2160495
Really makes you think. hmmmmmmmmmm......
>>
>>2160525
>Missus's
>>
>>2160351
>redpill
>dirty creatures
>sensitive to temperature
>prone to fungus
>impaction can be a problem with gravel
>sharp decor can tear their skin
>not very active compared to most fish
>live and frozen food is recommended
>no bright lights
>no strong current
>sensitive to chemicals in the water
>>that means no plant fertilizers
>best not to keep anything else with them unless it's food
>>they eat snails, shrimp
>>they can choke on larger snails
>>fish will bite their gills

>bluepill
>stupidly cute
>very hardy
>definitely an eyecatcher
>dried carnivore pellets are decent as a staple
>look silly when they swim
>live a long time, about 8-10 years
>you can deep fry it and eat it if you ever get bored of it
>>supposedly tastes like sturgeon
>>
>>2160546
>>2160492

What type of live plants would you be able to put with one considering no plant fertilizer and low-light? Or would it be better to go artificial all the way with silk plants?
>>
>>2160351
literally the woopers of the animal world
>>
>>2160556
Anubias and Java moss.
>>
>>2160556
Anubias, java fern, crypts, mosses, buces, and aponogeton for sure. Vals would probably do well. I used to have anacharis and rotala, but after growing explosively for a few months, it just died back into nothing.
Mine will bite at the anubias and tear a leaf off if she bumps into it the wrong way.
>>
>>2160546
>impaction can be a problem with gravel
That's just a myth.
>>
>>2160677
Sure.
>>
>>2160677
>>2160743
If you have any doubts whatsoever, just use aquarium sand or nothing at all.
Sand is better because it provides substrate for beneficial bacteria, but still not necessary
>>
>>2160916
>Sand is better because it provides substrate for beneficial bacteria
"beneficial bacteria" require a substrate and water flow to provide oxygen.

sand provides a great substrate and terrible water flow. This is true of most substrates with a high surface area.

You won't be growing a working biofilter in a sand substrate. Not without a reverse-flow undergravel filter which nobody uses anymore.
>>
File: 20160626_155617.jpg (4 MB, 2120x2821) Image search: [Google]
20160626_155617.jpg
4 MB, 2120x2821
They're wonderful, but you can't really touch them or you could expose them to harmful bacteria and ammonia. I let mine rest in my hand occasionally, and he does bite but it doesn't even feel like anything. You also gotta clean their poop up yourself.
They're like little water puppies.
Also this is my little guy
>>
>>2161188
They're essentially just permanent mudpuppies, aren't they?
>>
>>2161203
Essentially, but much cuter and energetic.
>>
>>2160351
>redpill me
kys
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.