[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my cat (9 weeks) isn't even pretending to understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151115_200250.jpg (4 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151115_200250.jpg
4 MB, 4128x3096
So my cat (9 weeks) isn't even pretending to understand the concept of a litter box. I've tried pretty much everything. From positive reinforcement to stern discipline, and she's just not getting it. Is there any guaranteed way to get your cat/kitten to use it or am I just going to have to get rid of her?
>>
>>2001854
Just catch her whenever she pees/poos and quickly carry her to the litter boxwhile she's going. Or when she starts squatting.
Did this with both of my cat's kittens (not a byb, just accidental) and my own cat. Worked like a charm.
>>
>>2001858
I caught her once, but she was already basically finished. And as soon as I put her in the litter box, she jumps out. The only way I can keep her in there is if I hold her down.
>>
I had a cat that was like this and nothing worked until a got an old dog crate and I set up a litter box in there and it was a lot like the cages they'd be in a shelter, small bed, food, water, and a litter box nothing else. She would have to have shit on her bed or practically on her food dish in order to avoid shitting in the litter box and cats are disinclined to do that so it worked pretty well. She shit on her bed once but I just put that shit in the litter and buried it myself and she figured it out after that. I would just keep her in there while I was gone and then when I got home is wait for her to piss and shit and then let her out for a while for love and exercise and put her back in after a few hours, repeat.

Obviously it wasn't ideal to basically imprison my kitten as if it were in a shelter but if it hadn't started using the cat litter box I would have had to get rid of it so it was an effort to avoid that.
>>
Cat that are taken from mom too young (before 14 weeks) often have behavioral problems. Try locking him in a bathroom with the box.
>>
>>2001868
This actually sounds like a pretty solid idea.
>>
>>2001919
Just in case you're retarded, don't actually do this, or the "rub it's nose in its piss" thing. Great ways to traumatized animals and teaches jack shit.
>>
>>2001941
OP here, I actually fucked up and did this, and since she hasn't been as friendly as she was at first. I feel bad about the way I handled it, but she woke me up at 4am pissing on my comforter, so I don't feel bad for getting angry.
>>
>>2001949

It's no good to do that but you're only human, anon. Can't blame you for losing your cool just try not to do that in the future not even really because it's cruel or anything but just because it doesn't help and just causes the cat to fear you.
>>
cat's don't normally need to be taught to use a littler box. either your house is super disgusting or your cat has a health problem.
>>
>>2001990

This is not the case 100 percent of the time. Some cats really just don't take to it. I've noticed that hand raised orphans often have troubles and other cats neglected of seeing their mom shit in the box. The natural inclination to bury the shit helps but some of them just don't get it. 9/10 cats take to it easily but some do not.
>>
>>2001995
>I've noticed that hand raised orphans often have troubles and other cats neglected of seeing their mom shit in the box.
I've seen more than a few hand raised orphans and dozens of kittens whose mothers never used a box and the only ones that had trouble were sick. it's not a thing cats have to learn.
>>
>>2001999
Well obviously you are wrong, otherwise ops cat wouldn't have problems.
Bus besides that, I have raised about a dozen litters, some orphaned some not. Some kittens do not use the box, even with a mom. Kittens raised with no mom or taken too young have box issues more often.
>>
>>2002005
>otherwise ops cat wouldn't have problems.
unless it's sick
>>
>>2002007
The cat COULD be sick. That doesn't mean that ALL cats instinctively use a box.
>>
>>2001854
there's the option of just letting the thing go outside
>>
>>2002985

What kind of irresponsible jackass are you?
>>
>>2001916

Yeah, it's called crate training, and it's helped to get dogs used to going outside.
>>
>>2001854
dumbasses its like youve never dealt with cats before.
>let cat shit on floor
>relocate cat shit to litter box
>humanely capture cat with hands
>forcefully move cat to litter box, ensuring it smells shit
>cat will sniff shit then bury it
>cat will use litter box from then on.
>>
>>2003052
This. Worked on all my previous cats flawlessly.
>>
Try different brands of litter. Some cats are sensitive to certain types of litter.

Also don't directly put them in the litter and just put them in front. Don't just stare, walk away cause they might have trouble if you have scolded them for pissing or shitting causing them to be frantic for going to the bathroom.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.