[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I a bad person for wanting a (mostly) pure bred dog? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: dog eating cucumber.jpg (9 KB, 275x184) Image search: [Google]
dog eating cucumber.jpg
9 KB, 275x184
Am I a bad person for wanting a (mostly) pure bred dog? I'm not about to shell out 4 grand for a certified pure bred dog from a breeder, but if it looks like the breeds I prefer, I wouldn't mind buying a pupper from a third party source.

I volunteered at an animal shelter and it really seems like most dogs there are pit bulls and chihuahas, and although the prospect of getting a "rescue" dog is nice, it's a long term investment and I don't think I would be happy in the end.
>>
>>2002441
If you're gunna be a faggot about it "am I a bad person.. " then get the fucking pit bull to appease all your fellow faggots on this board.
But if you have something oh want, go fucking get it. Just make sure you got your shit together either way.
>>
>>2002441
>the prospect of getting a "rescue" dog is nice, it's a long term investment and I don't think I would be happy in the end

>long term investment

i don't understand your logic.

>mostly purebred

there is no such thing, a dog is either a specified breed or not -- 1 or 0. you can call it whatever you want if it's not a papered dog, but it wouldn't matter.

from what it seems like, the appearance of the dog seems important enough to make you unhappy with a dog in the end -- this makes me wonder if you're mature enough for a dog. when people spend 4 large on a purebred dog, you are paying for a RESPONSIBLY bred dog, which is more likely than the BYB-acquired mongrel you said you were considering to last far beyond your presumable attention span. this, in your case, may be a pro or a con obviously, you can't get sick of the dog if he's dead from the cancerous third penis growing out of his skull.

just spend some times thinking about why you want a dog and recognize that, if you are in the minority who actually care about anything other than yourself, it is unethical by any reasonable standard to get a dog and then release it for pretty much any reason.

i'm not sure why the appearance of your dog would make you so unhappy in the end, but it would lead me to believe that you are looking into getting a dog for the wrong reason.
>>
Maybe try a backyard breed. Rescues are great too. I've had two pure bred goldens and one died early on from lymphoma (only 4 years old) and another from don't know what when he was 9. My backyard bred golden lived to 13 with just shoulder arthritis, and finally came down to a ruptured spleen. My rescue is so far the healthiest dog I've ever had.
>>
File: labby babby.jpg (31 KB, 300x345) Image search: [Google]
labby babby.jpg
31 KB, 300x345
>>2002448
Thanks for the well-meaning post. I already have a dog. He's a mutt but many people just say he looks like a lab. That's what I meant by "kinda" purebred. Appearance obviously isn't the only important factor, but I would say it's up there not just for me but anyone who has a dog/wants one. For example, personally, I think Bull Terriers look quite strange and for that reason, I would never own one.

I guess I'm just trying to reconcile feeling guilty when people talk about "rescuing" their dogs, when I don't plan to do that since it seems like the breeds I like are rarely found in shelters.

Pic related; obviously not a pure bred lab, but most people would just pass it off as a lab.
>>
>>2002518
>it seems like the breeds I like are rarely found in shelters
>I want a special snowflake breed but don't want to pay for a responsibly bred one
>>
Stop focusing on breed. Focus on personality.
Go to rescues, and shelters and spend time with the dogs. You'll be surprised which one you end up falling in love with.

And yes, adopting is the right thing to do. Breeders are only in it for their own gains. There are so many wonderful dogs who get euthanized because people buy stupid breeder dogs.
>>
>>2002515
Was your dog backyard bred or rescued though since there is a difference.
>>
>>2002441
Just be patient. After losing my 13 year old Cane Corso I was in touch with rescues and breeders, but it never seemed to happen. About a year later I hit my local SPCA website and found a purebred italian bloodline Cane Corso puppy, a bit under a year old. He's purebred per the breeder I got my first one from, and temperament and personality are very close. Just keep your eyes open. I got a $1,500 puppy for $75 by being patient.
>>
Yes. Fuck the master race.
>>
>>2002518
How do so many people on this board not know about breed specific rescues? Literally every breed has at least one. Get to googling, OP, there are thousands of breed dogs within 100 miles of you waiting to be rescued.
>>
>>2002441
Personally, I could not look myself in the mirror if I knew contributed to breeding dogs while dogs are killed everywhere around the country because people shop not adopt.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.