[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Corvid question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
So I've recently begun feeding the corvids that hang out by the pond at my university. There are mainly magpies there, plus a few crows. There are jackdaws in the area, too, but they stay away from thepond for some reason(possibly because of the magpies; I've observed antagonism between magpies and jackdaws in the past).

In any case, I've noticed that it's incredibly hard to feed the crows whenever there are magpies around. They might start going in for the food, but as soon as they notice that a magpie is on its way there, they beta out and retreat. This seems to be the case even when the concerned magpie is low down on the social ladder.

Can anyone explain this behaviour? Is the crow simply afraid of magpies when they are in big groups?

Also Corvid general, I guess.
>>
File: crow.jpg (90 KB, 769x516) Image search: [Google]
crow.jpg
90 KB, 769x516
>>1997678
>This seems to be the case even when the concerned magpie is low down on the social ladder.

What makes you say that?

Magpies are incredibly aggressive birds, so I don't think they're particularly afraid of having it on with the crows. But I've never actually seen crows and magpies fight, maybe they have a truce.
>>
>>1997690
Well, I haven't noticed any fighting between the crows and the magpies, with one exception: last year, a magpie couple began building a nest in a tree just outside my apartment building. However, before they were finished, a crow couple, who might have had a nest in a tree nearby appeared, and simply drove them off. There was no violence; the magpies were just chased away. Today, a few sticks still hang in the tree as a monument of their lost ambitions.

Anyway, it's still appears that the crow at my uni is giving the magpies(even the pleb magpies) precedence while eating.
>>
>>1997678
Magpies can get really territorial regardless of size. With crows they do seem to have an armistice of sorts going. I have seen magpies chasing around full grown peregrine falcons though. They don't care.
>>
>>1997678
>magpie is far down on the social ladder

You should probably stop personifying and habituating wild animals. You are only doing a disservice to them.
>>
>>1997831
But magpies, like jackdaws, are highly social. It makes sense to assume that individuals have different ranks within groups.

Plus, whenever I look at the magpies gathering food outside my window, there always appears to be one poor bastard who gets pecked on more than the others. Doesn't that suggest that they are lower in rank?
>>
>>1997690
I'm fairly certain that corvus corvids can recognise other corvus species, I once saw a crow attack and chase of a sparrowhawk which was attacking a jackdaw.
>>
>>1997831
Corvids have social hierarchies so that isn't personification, but you are right he should quit trying to habituate them.
>>
>>1998248
>quit trying to habituate them
Isn't that a bit too late, though, considering that they're already living in the middle of a city, completely dependent on human waste?
>>
How do I befriend the local magpies?
Is it as simple as just feeding them? What should I feed them? bread ok?
>>
>>1998287
Bread or unsalted peanuts is best, but make sure you talk to them. I don't care if there are 20 people around, start cawing at those motherfuckers like you mean it. They'll know what's up.
>>
--NEW QUESTION--
since it's a corvid general:
What are some easy and effective methods for befriending local crows? I live in a suburb and the crows stay to the trees, but I'd love for them to warm up to me and perhaps settle closer.
As far as I know the best (only?) way to go about this is to somehow feed them. How might I do this in a suburb? Other methods?
>>
>>1998284

There is a difference between adapting behaviors that benefit a species in the presence of humans and training specific individuals to trust people.
>>
>>1999769

"Befriending" corvids is not a good idea, you are doing a disservice to them. A lot of people don't like corvids, so training individuals to be comfortable around humans can lead to them being hurt or killed by teenagers/assholes that don't like corvids.
>>
>>2001833
That argument doesn't work as well with crows.
As it has been shown that they are capable distinguishing between people. These "Befriended Crows" would possible be only friendlier towards him.
>>
>>2002309

Yes crows can distinguish between people but that doesn't mean they habituated to one person and then aren't affected in any other way. That's retarded.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.