[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I cut down on costs for taking care of a rabbit? My
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1455555061849.jpg (54 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455555061849.jpg
54 KB, 539x960
How can I cut down on costs for taking care of a rabbit?

My girlfriend has a Holland lop and is having trouble taking care of it financially. I usually so most of the caretaking (which I don't mind at all because I love the thing) but I can't really help.
>>
You shouldn't own it if you can't support it financially
>>
Collect your own plant matter
Feed it less
>>
>>2155864
What kind of cage is it being housed in? If you can, cheapest thing to do is get an Expen and place it somewhere on hard floors, and let it live in the expen. Put down newspaper to absorb piss and put fleeces/blankets on top, shake the fleeces out every so often and wash them as needed. The newspaper should be changed at least every third day. If you can't use an Expen, look into C&C cages. Very inexpensive and since it's diy very customizable. Do the same shit with the bedding; use newspaper and linens and just clean often. Never ever buy the disposable bedding like carefresh and wood shavings if possible, because there are much cheaper methods.

Buy Timothy hay in bulk if possible. It gets extremely cheap In larger quantities. Don't waste money on food with dried fruit and Timothy hay in it, it's unnecessary. If you want to have Timothy hay mixed in the food, get the hay dust at the bottom of the bag and use that. I'd advise getting a litter box or shoe box or something, keep a litter shredded newspaper or pine shavings at the bottom to soak up piss, and fill it with Timothy hay. When it's soiled or out of hay, toss it all and repeat.

Get your own greens from outside (check to see what they can and can't eat) and also shop smart too. Buy veggies that are in season, see if they have any that have gone too ripe and are willing to part with(not rotten though, bunnies can still get sick.) And buy in bulk whenever possible.
>>
>>2155864
>is having trouble taking care of it financially

how? assuming you have a cage already you should just need timothy hay, whatever vegetables are lying around and bedding. That's like $15 a month max
>>
>>2156153
>keep a litter shredded newspaper

a flat newspaper will soak it up better than shredded

>litter box or shoe box

early on I would use a cereal box with the front cut out. line the bottom with newspaper. worked fine.

but what specific costs are you talking about op??
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.