[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only person that doesn't flip the fuck out and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
Am I the only person that doesn't flip the fuck out and lose my shit when a bee/wasp flies near me?
I can't even count the amount of times that I've been around different people that just break down and lose all signs of sanity at the first sight of one?
What's the fucking deal with that shit? I just roll my eyes when I see someone doing it now.
I literally don't react at all, and have never been stung once in my life.
>>
>>2153203

Yeah I'm the same way. I've been stung but it didn't hurt so much that will I recoil in the presence of bees/wasps or even feel nervous. Flailing around isn't going to do you any good anyway and will probably just antagonize the bees/wasps more, make them more likely to sting you.
>>
>>2153205
I've noticed that black people are by far the worst offenders of this.
They will get in a car and fucking leave the area. I've seen it happen.
>>
It's like people's fear of snakes. They are scared of the bite. Not the pain of the bite. Just the physical attack. And let me tell you, it's nothing. Been bitten god knows how many times by snakes since I handle them regularly.

Bees and wasps are the same. It is literally just a quick sting. Unless you're allergic, it's no big deal. Stop making an ass out of yourself. I've only ever been stung once, when I was about 8. And I never run from them unless I happen upon a nest, then I give it a wide berth. There's nothing to be afraid of. Feel free to give wasps space (not so much bees, they're very chill), but don't worry too much about it.
>>
>>2153203
I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't make that loud buzzing noise, or if they we're easier to predict what they'll do... fear of the unknown is big part in it. I don't mind bumblebees because they're fluffy and I know they're rather docile.
>>
>>2153212
If they have a white dot on their face, then they literally don't sting at all.
>>
>>2153212
>>2153213

The bumble bees you see out and about do not sting. There is one sect of the bumblebee hierarchy that stings, and they're the ones that never leave the nest. The ones you see buzzing around the next entrance all the time? They can't sting. Basically, any bumble you see is just fine. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to start shit with them because they are rarely far from the next.
>>
>>2153219

Jesus, I don't normally do this, but let me apologize for the sloppy typing. I have no excuse. I'm very full on ribs and being lazy.

... they were delicious.
>>
>>2153219
I actually didn't know that. They don't bother me anyway, but neat to know.
I might try catching one to freak out plebs.
>>
>>2153203
I used to freak out when they start buzzing me, but after years outdoors I just don't care anymore.
>>
>>2153222
don't trust /an/ when your life is on the line

>Queen and worker bumblebees can sting. Unlike in honeybees, a bumblebee's stinger lacks barbs, so the bee can sting repeatedly without injuring itself; by the same token, the stinger is not left in the wound.[76][77]
>>
I don't spaz out but sometimes I flinch or step/walk away from them. I've never been stung so I'm not sure how it feels or if I'm allergic.
My ex, for example, found out the hard way. Got stung once and went into shock, coma and near death in a matter of 30 minutes, she barely made it. I now the odds are low but I'd like to avoid it.

Spiders for example, on the other hand, are bros and can climb on me all they want, I don't mind.
>>
>>2153223
When we were younger, I used to fear for my best friends life when something would fly anywhere near him.
He got so terrified and frantic that he could have hurt himself just trying to get away from it.
He was a big 6 foot something 240lb redneck as well. It was funny but worrying at the same time. Like if one got in a vehicle he was driving it could have caused a serious accident.
>>
Ignorance and media portrayal. Same deal with spiders and snakes.

If you know anything about bees and wasps you know they won't attack you unless you very close to the nest. I will walk through flowering plants covered in bees and wasps and they just fly around. Occasionally a wasp will fly around you to examine you, maybe it thinks you're a tree that might have something tasty to eat. I have never been stung by a wasp, only honeybees when I accidentally stumble right next to their nest.
>>
I've been stung a few times as a kid, once when a bee flew into my bathing suit, another time I stepped on one barefoot, and then a yellow-jacket stung the palm of my hand twice when I accidentally grabbed the flower it just landed on. Regardless, they don't scare me at all. I love the shit out of bees, and wasps are super cool to look at. I'd like to learn how to bee keep in the future.
>>
>>2153207
It's instinct, their ancestors came from africa were the africanized bees and megasized killer bees come from.
>>
>>2153211
this right here, been stung by a bee while shitposting with the window open and it wasn't that bad.
>>
>>2153203

While there exceptions, with most bees/wasps, swatting at them is more likely to get your ass stung. I had one nest of yellow jackets that I was exterminating once, and holy fuck, once I got down to where the nest was, they all fucking came out. It was the species that can have 50k or 100k or 200k or whatever in one fucking nest, and I was in the middle of that shit. I could have sworn it was 50m or 100m or 200m or whatever. After shitting my pants, I very slowly started walking away. 20 feet away from the nest, I could have swatted in any direction and hit at least ten of the fuckers. I made it out of the swarm with only one sting, right on my ear, because I subconsciously tried to brush it away when it landed on me. I was waiting for repeated stings, and it was going to be white lightning out of the area.

Had I swatted at them, I probably would have wound up in the hospital.
>>
Been stung by a yellow jacket, and I'm allergic.
I duck or whatever if they fly right at my face, but I don't flail around like a retard.

Even if you hit the nest with a stick or something they're generally too retarded to make the connection that you're the one doing it.
>>
I not only don't mind a wasp flying around me, I go after it and try to get it to land on my hand. Love wasps, especially paper wasps. The only time I got stung by a paper wasp just gave me a warning shot, no swelling. Unlike bees, wasps can control how much venom they inject. Eventually want to handle a tarantula hawk.
>>
>>2154080
Their ancestors didn't deal with africanized bees because they were man made in the last century
>>
>>2153203
No, I did when I was a child though but I was scared of all bugs back then. Now I'm not that bothered. I've had hornets and bees land right on my hand and not sting me and they seem chill as fuck. I think if you freak out they freak out too and they call in their hive buddies to sting the shit out of you. I probably would too if I was this tiny thing and this huge flailing giant was stomping around everywhere in my territory.
>>
>>2154389
here's the joke
here's your head
>>
A wasp or bee flying around my face will make me nervous, but I won't make a fuss. I've been stung on the face as a child too, kek.

A random bee landed on my hand while we were camping the other weekend and I thought it was cute. My friends think I'm God.
>>
When I was a kid my parents were very protective of me during camping and whatnot. Whenever there was a bee or a wasp nearby they would swat it away from me and I would end up getting stung without doing much. Until this day I still get randomly stung by wasps or hornets without doing anything at all, maybe I've become a wanted criminal and they've planted a mark on me over the years idk.
>>
>>2153203
Bitch you don't react because you have never been stung, obviously. I was stung by wasps/hornets/yellow jackets multiple times as a kid, because I played outside and had horrible luck. I feel like you must not know much about wasp behavioral patterns to feel 0 fear. A lot of times they will sting unprovoked, can sting multiple times, will chase, and attack in groups. I have a horrible memory of trying to shake loose wasps that were stinging me, and looking down and seeing them not loose, stingers sticking them to my arm. Horrible
>>
>>2155420
Kek, that does sound really shitty for a kid.

Most of my bee stings were on my feet, iirc, from stepping on them. But there was this one time they really fucked me over.

>~12 years old
>first 'romance'
>seriously in love with this girl for a kid
>(we've remained friends actually, she's still fucking lovely)
>we break up
>I'm devastated (I was a seriously sooky kid)
>get home
>I have a favorite tree on our property, a huge ancient eucalyptus
>I climb it
>I'm sitting in my tree, crying where no-one can see (thick foliage, had a peppercorn tree growing next to/almost inside it
>there are bees in the tree, they live in a hollow on the other side
>I am safe, however, they will not bother me and I'm not near their entrance
>keep crying, idly pulling at bark
>pull off a big piece
>oh fuck bees
>think that if I remain still they won't sting me
>they sting me
>three times on the face and once on the arm
>fall out of tree, get hurt but nothing broken
>cry on the ground instead
>>
>>2155445
Girls are nothing but trouble.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.