[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
redpill me on hamsters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
redpill me on hamsters
>>
>high maintenance requirements
>cage smells like cedar flavored pee
>fucking pee smell
>always chewing on shit
>chew their way out of anything except glass or diamond
>cage smells like piss unless you clean it daily
>hourly
>will bite you sometimes
>males grow giant inflamed nutsacks
>short lifespan
>enjoy cleaning piss soaked cage hourly with your bite ridden fingertips
>>
>>2146618
>except glass or diamond
HOLY KEK
>>
>>2146618
>implying this is the same for all hamsters
get yourself a female syrian or 'short hair' hamster, mine is extremely loving and has never even acted like she was about to bite. her home doesn't smell (though I work at a locally ran pet store so I smell way worse things on a daily basis)
>>
File: Winter-White-Dwarf-Hamster.jpg (44 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Winter-White-Dwarf-Hamster.jpg
44 KB, 500x333
I work at a local pet store and they're easily the meanest fucking things that I work with. It's ridiculous how many people are drawn to them, especially dwarf hamsters (those little twats are way cuter than they have any right to be) despite their mean temperaments, but will push their nose up in disgust at the nice, friendly rats. And only the dwarf hamsters are really cute, all the other ones look like stumpy tailless squirrels.

I tell people not to buy them unless they know what to expect. I've never heard a good story about people owning hamsters. It was always "we got two hamsters and they were fine at first until one day the one tweaked and ate the other hamster's spine" or something fucked up like that.

I'm not saying there are no exceptions, but almost every hamster I've dealt with is meaner than hell, wants nothing to do with you, and reeks of piss. If you want a friendly rodent, pretty much every kind will be better than a hamster. Rats are the best in my experience, and people who have dealt with them before will agree with me there.
>>
>>2146639
I do wonder:

Why do hamsters cannibalize each other and how can you prevent it from happening? I never owned hamsters so I have no experience.
>>
>>2146639
DWARF!
DWARF HAMSTERS ARE THE MEAN ONES!

the short hair hamsters, and the teddy bear hamsters are nice as can be!
>>
>>2146651

i guess manlet rage crosses through multiple species
>>
>>2146618
>Went to qt3.14 house
>Has pet hamster
>Let's me hold him
>Pisses on my hands
>>
>>2146551
They're like tiny cannibal wolves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6u3ZwuIF0
>>
>>2146618
They can chew through glass. One little spot they can work their teeth on (like a crack), and they'll get through it within a day or so.
>>
>>2146633
>her home doesn't smell (though I work at a locally ran pet store so I smell way worse things on a daily basis)
So you're use to smelling shit that is worse than her cage. That doesn't mean those little turds stink. I work at a pet shop and they do smell like rancid piss.
Also
>inb4 we don't clean our cages
>>
>>2146741
*DON'T Stink.
Dammit
>>
I got a Syrian longhair hamster from a family owned petstore and hes the chillest hamster ive ever had but then again he did have an infection from the other hamsters that i didnt notice for a while. I got another one from petsmart and she kind of cool. I got one before her that i exchanged because that other hamster was really aggressive so i guess it depends on the hamsters personality and where you get it from
>>
>>2146665
>p.s. I enjoyed it til the last drop
>>
>>2146643
When a female hamster gets pregnant it will sometimes eat the male if it hasn't been getting enough nutrients.
>>
>>2146639
I agree with you anon.

I work at a pet shop too and hamsters bite me more than anything else. The ones that trend in aggressiveness are Russians/winter whites.

Working with them, you learn their body language and can usually tell when they will bite. Syrians/short hair/fancy bear/whatever other pet stores call them are easier to tame.

Robos and Chinese dwarfs will usually run from you before trying to bite, but are easy to tame as well.

As far as cleaning goes, robos are the easiest to clean up after/stink less. Syrians smell awful, but most usually use one spot for a "bathroom".

I have 2 rats because they are so awesome and the worst they will do is nibble you to see if you're food or not. I've only been bit hard trying to get a scared one out of hiding.

Also, gerbils are awesome.
>>
>>2146643
Most cannibalize due to overcrowding. Most hamsters don't do well with more than one, especially older ones.

If you want more than one, but them at the same time, from the same cage, and hope for the best. A big cage, giving them their own hide and food bowl will help reduce fighting.
>>
File: 5.png (733 KB, 619x1054) Image search: [Google]
5.png
733 KB, 619x1054
>mfw reading this thread

Will never look at these filthy little devils the same again. Are rats really that much better?
>>
My Campbell's Dwarf Russian females killed and shredded their mother, strewing innards and fur all over the cage, and eating some of her. My male ate his dead brother's eyeball.
>>
>>2147084
Yes. Rats are like little puppy dogs, they like to explore and be petted. I've never been bitten by a rat working at the shop, the worst they do is poop on you sometimes but it usually rolls right off because pellet turds.

Hamsters are godless little abominations
>>
The hamster cages at my work don't smell like much of anything. Using CareFresh bedding helps, probably.

Temperament is different for different species.
Russian dwarfs are bitey fuckers that seriously belong back in Russia.
Winter whites are chill as fuck and have never come close to biting anyone. They hardly even run away from you if you pick them up right.
Robo dwarfs are flighty and just run away from you, but don't bite.
Syrians are easy to tame, but untamed ones are stupidly skittish and can bite hard enough to draw blood if you piss them off. Tame ones are cuddlebutts.

Also holy fuck don't put two hamsters together, dipshits.
It sounds like half of you are just morons who manhandle the things and have no idea what you're doing.
>>
>>2147084
Yes.

And I was like you until I started working with hamsters. At first it was "aww they are so cu-- aw fuck!" Not just blood drawn; it's like a razor cut. Small, but won't stop bleeding. Now I warn parents wanting to buy the meanest Russian we have for their toddler because "aw it wants to play" as its swatting furiously at the glass. No, bitch. That hamster wants to eat your face.

I try to work with/tame as many small animals as I can. I have had a high success rate, and my boss has even mentioned returns due to "biting" have dropped.

The biggest mistake made is not being patient and earning the Ham's trust. People always want to grab from above like a damn bird of prey and wonder why it's so terrified/aggressive.

>>2147094
And this anon is right. Shredded paper or something like CareFresh smells waaaay less than wood chips. Period.

And I learned fast that "manhandling" hamsters will always have a negative outcome.
>>
>>2147094

Just to add a few things.

The only time you can put two hamsters together without them trying to tear each other apart is if they are from the same litter, and even then, it's hard.

Socializing a hamster is possible and takes a bit of work. Just like training a dog.

I have had a Winter White bite me, but I've never had any draw blood.

Syrian shorthairs are fucking vicious. The longhairs are adorable though.
>>
File: IMG_20160213_110230.jpg (299 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160213_110230.jpg
299 KB, 480x640
>>2146639
This. This right here. Fuck hamsters. Rats are a way better "pocket pet". Have had hamsters all were gifts. All were asshats.
>>
>>2146551
>redpill
Plot by the Jews to destroy the mouse race.
>>
>>2146643

In the wild hamsters are mostly solitary and somewhat territorial, being forced together stresses them out. Plus meat is meat.
>>
after reading this thread I would buy a rat, but for some reason I associate pet rats with people who own fedoras and enjoy vaping. Seems like a "I don't care what fucking normies think" type of pet
>>
>>2147358
that's so weird, i always kind of associated rats with queers
i've never met a single rat owner (including myself) that wasn't gay af
>>
>>2147368

that's funny, I just youtubed a pet rat FAQ with a flamingly gay host. But then the next video was one of those "People react pet rats for the first time" type of deal and the fag totally fagged out upon seeing the rat. I guess pet rats are a hugely polarizing topic within the asspirate community
>>
File: 1462044092281.jpg (19 KB, 366x380) Image search: [Google]
1462044092281.jpg
19 KB, 366x380
>>2146551
they're niggers
>>
>>2147358
>>2147368
I got mine because they were a lot nicer than the hamsters, you can train them and you can have more than 1.

Not a fag/fedora/vaper.
>>
>>2147368
Everyone I've ever met who's really enthusiastic about liking rats has been incredibly frumpy, slightly weird, and female.
>>
>>2146618

>High maintenance requirements

I disagree with this so much that I cannot fathom just how lazy you are anon.
>>
>>2146639
getting hamsters in pairs always seems to be a bad idea. we had cannibals once.

now we just get one at a time, qt little siberian dwarf hamsters. very sweet and friendly, never bite
>>
>>2148395
>Hamstercuck BTFO
>butt devastated
>suicide watch
>>
but what about gerbils?
>>
>>2147094
You don't put two Syrian (aka "teddy bear") hamsters together, but Campbell's dwarf russians, and I believe robos and winter whites as well, can live in small family groups. They actually can form bonds.
>>
>Had 3 female Russian dwarf hamsters from the same litter

>1 not female...

>Had 13 inbred Russian dwarf hamsters.

Most were quite nice and sociable, could hold and pet them no problem

2 were horrible vicious spite filled bastards.

1 was so retarded he walked into walls and had eyes like he was constantly being squeezed. His name was Cletus.

One day we found Cletus dead and most of him gone except his little retarded face.

The evil hamsters had blood round their mouths
>>
>>2149543
Gotta eat big to get big
>>
So is it ok to keep a Syrian hamster in a 10 gallon tank with everything they need
>>
>>2150370
No, it will eat itself.
>>
File: 1466202667071.jpg (195 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1466202667071.jpg
195 KB, 1280x720
>>2150395
>>
It's better to make a big bin cage that gives them more room
>>
>>2147135
>>
>>2146665
Why would she piss on her own hamster? What a freak.
>>
>>2147084
All the hamsters I've ever had were sweet and friendly, never bit unless my hands smelled like food, and were pretty clean as well; they're good pets.

Rats are just better in every way. It's like having a tiny little dog with a long cute tail that will fall asleep in your pocket.
>>
>>2147135
That's the cutest little stripe.

>>2150476
congratulations, you're the 324905369439054098905340th neckbeard to get asshurt by a girl on the internet.
>>
File: safespace.jpg (160 KB, 621x621) Image search: [Google]
safespace.jpg
160 KB, 621x621
>>2147135
>>
>>2150504
>congratulations, you're the 324905369439054098905340th neckbeard to get asshurt by a girl on the internet.
>she's this mad over someone pointing out how women are attention whores
lol
>>
Nah, fuck y'all, hamsters are totally bro-tier. You obviously have no idea how to socialize the poor things, or keep them from being stressed.
>>
>>2146618
>hamsters
>high maintenance

u wot m8
>>
>>2146639
Hamsters aren't supposed to be kept in groups. they're solitary animals. That's why. You should know this working at a pet store.

I have owned 3 hamsters and they have all been perfectly fine little cuties. But you keep them alone.

My first hamster was called Herbert and he was the tamest thing. Just sat in the palm of your hand, only ever bit someone once and it was because she picked him up and squeezed him, kek. Loved him for that because she was a bitch; blood everywhere.

Eventually we moved him into a fishtank lined with sawdust because he was starting to find it difficult climbing up and down the tubes of his mammoth hamster cage. He lived to 5 years old.

My other two hamsters weren't as nice or long lived but they were great pets.

Never understood the appeal of dwarf hamsters.
>>
>>2146639
This man speaks truth. Rats are better.
>>
>>2147135
Who's this Melissa McCarthy looking bitch?
>>
>>2147135
Looks like the women from ghostbusters
>>
File: 1464640207491.png (110 KB, 250x310) Image search: [Google]
1464640207491.png
110 KB, 250x310
>>2149557
>>
>>2150654
They're just so damn friendly. Except hoodeds, they're skittish nightmares due to inbreeding.

I would probably go natural over dumbo any day because naturals are way smarter and understand what's going on with the owner/pet relationship. They are reprimandible but don't really take it well.
Other types don't understand that they did anything wrong and getting along with a hooded can be impossible unless you use him/her as a decoration, which you should never do. Just don't buy hoodeds, you're supporting some SHIT breeding practices.

Oh and hamsters are literally insane, but can be befriended.
Gerbils are PURE EVIL. DO YOU HEAR ME? EVIL.
>>
>>2150716
Is that you, scizo anon. Haven't seen you around in a while.
>>
>>2150718
Course it is, I'll be here another decade but I hate how I have become identifiable on anonymous boards. I wanted to piss in the sea of piss but have you SEEN THAT SHIT the past 2 weeks?
>>
Thinking of getting two rats. I've owned a teddy bear hamster before. Are they higher maintenance?
>>
>>2150772
It will be rough, if you don't have all day every day, don't do it I say. The cage cleaning is nightmarish for the unprepared, it will be trashed and stinking, sometimes twice a day, and when the cage weighs 45 pounds you may as well already be insane.

Think about what cage you get because if you skip removable bottoms, you will suffer. It can be completely random where they choose to piss dependant on mood and energy.

Prepare well friend. They are the most enjoyable animals you can own but also the hardest to get used to. It's back breaking owning a lone, unnuetered male. Females are easier but 100% less likely to give a shit about you.

The best way to go is 2 neutered, paired brothers, if you have high energy and time.
Or two paired females if you work short hours.

If you work 40 hours a week, don't get rats. If they are albino, they will sleep all day, but do not go above 30 hours of work.
Especially don't work if they're albino males, which seem to need 24/7 care.
Surely I helped none but typing is more of a hobby than caring.
>>
Chinese hamster if you want a hamster. That is all.
>>
>>2150778
>>2150716

Why do you guys think different colors and ear placement means set personalities? That's like saying the same breed of dog or cat are different temperment because of coat colors

Dumbo and fancy eared rats are just fancy with regular or lower ears.
>>
Fucking hamsters and mice are nothing but inbreeding, cancer carrying, death bringers.

Rats are awesome. Hope someone breeds them to be a bit bigger.
>>
Rats get myco or cancer and crush your heart in 2 yrs.....not worth it IMO
>>
>>2149543
My hamsters, Campbell's dwarf Russians, were inbred, too. One had a neat color mutation, and was super sweet. He'd sit on my shoulder and groom my hair.

I have to say that the mother was one of the nicest pets I've ever had, too. She'd run to me whenever I came home, and would hang out in my shirt, either in my cleavage or in my sleeves.

The smartest one of the litter was the mean one. She killed her mama. I was heartbroken. The little freak refused to clean herself up afterward, too, so she was just covered in blood.
>>
>>2151613
Dumbo rats are bed to be calmer/more docile than fancy rats. It's like a rat terrier who is hyper as hell vs a basset hound who is really laid back.

It's not so much set personalities as different general temperaments. I don't think fur color has anything to do with temperament, but they are two different "breeds" of rats.
>>
>>2150716
Whaaat?

My hooded rat is super friendly. Every hooded I've worked with has been friendly.

I can see how you might think fancy rats are smarter than dumbos, but I think it is because they are usually more outgoing.

And gerbils are super cute. I've never owned one, but I work with them. Never been bit. Once I gain their trust, they will hop into my hand and let me hold them. So sweet. And super cute when they get a dust bath.

>>2151606
And this. Of all the hamsters, Chinese dwarfs are easily the easiest to tame without getting bit.
>>
>>2151817
>easily the easiest

Sorry, still waking up.
>>
>>2150718
Who is he?
>>
Why do hamsters have fat baboon asses?

I swear I see no other rodent with this.
>>
File: barkek.png (244 KB, 429x367) Image search: [Google]
barkek.png
244 KB, 429x367
>>2146618
>>2146665
kek and a half m8. can of coke to you lads.
>>
>>2151993
Males only and its their genitals. Male mice and i think rats and gerbils have this too
>>
>>2149495
>hamstercuck
>calling someone a hamstercuck

God damn, I've been on this website for like 8 years, and the lingo still cracks me up now and then.
Cuck is the best meme to come out of any board.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.