[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greyhounds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 10
File: GraceTheGreyhound.jpg (671 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
GraceTheGreyhound.jpg
671 KB, 1024x768
I have heard nothing but good things about owning greyhounds and am thinking of getting one. Why shouldn't I? what are the downsides?
>>
Heart melts and you die of love
>>
>>2146620

They're awesome. Only slight downside is that their skin is a bit on the thin-ish side and rowdy playing with other dogs can occasionally result in minor cuts. This is why when you see race dogs at the track running around in their play/exercise area, they still have the muzzles on. Not because they're bitey (they aren't), just to avoid that complication. Also related, because of the thin skin and low body fat percentage, they are more sensitive to temperature than your average doggo.

Both of these things are easily addressed anyway and I hardly consider them downsides. Just things to be aware of.
>>
File: Greyhoundanatomy.jpg (100 KB, 900x658) Image search: [Google]
Greyhoundanatomy.jpg
100 KB, 900x658
>>
File: GreyhoundanatomyAlternate.jpg (64 KB, 800x568) Image search: [Google]
GreyhoundanatomyAlternate.jpg
64 KB, 800x568
>>
File: longboy.jpg (34 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
longboy.jpg
34 KB, 500x357
I too want a longlord
>>
>>2146620
Ill redpill you.

Greyhounds as pups from a breeder are not calm couch potatoes. They are high energy high maintenance dogs. The retired racers are the couch potatoes. So you would have to go through some sort of rescue

They tend to chase small things, like rabbits, cats and even small dogs. Because of this, you should probably make it wear a muzzle when playing with smaller dogs. Housing with small animals can be iffy. Will never be reliable off leash because of their high prey drive. They are not always cuddly people pleasers and can often be aloof with people, and very nervous around other dogs. Short coat means they are sensitive to cold, and they also literally have thin skin. There is a possibility that you will have to yard train the dog depending on it's previous handler. Many greyhounds are emotional pussies and don't do well with positive punishment. They are a little lazy and won't participate in vigorous daily activities, but it is important that they can run freely and get their energy out at least once a week.
>>
File: 85251575.jpg (301 KB, 1024x607) Image search: [Google]
85251575.jpg
301 KB, 1024x607
>>2146620
Does /an/ support greyhound racing or would you consider it cruel?
>>
>>2146668

The act of luring a dog (which is how racing works at its core) is fine, how the dogs are cared for is not. There's massive over-breeding, very high euthanasia rates, mismanagement of injuries, improper and extended confinement, etc..

The popularity of racing is fading fast, mostly due to cruelty concerns. For the best.
>>
>>2146664
Also they are kinda dumb.

But overall, they are pretty neat pets.
>>
File: IMG-20160609-WA0004.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160609-WA0004.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
I have two of them (Orion is the black one, Tesla is the brown one).

Best dogs I've ever had. So loveable and nice. You won't regret it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
Would their pelts actually make for good vests?
>>
>>2146950

Not really. They have notoriously thin skin that's prone to tears, and even reinforced in a garment it's still going to be very delicate. Considering they have no coloration that couldn't be found in a thicker-skinned breed, and the lack of bulk would severely limit the size of leather you could obtain, it would be a pretty dumb choice.
>>
>>2146620
Have a whippet and a Spanish greyhound (galgo). They don't smell, drool or bark; couch potatoes at home, jack russells outside. You'll fall in love immediately.
>>
File: IMG_20160611_101643.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_101643.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
They are perfect, if not a little lazy! Make sure you go for an ex racer
>>
File: product.jpg (20 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
product.jpg
20 KB, 300x225
>>2147331

Be careful with those plastic tags. They can crack and fall off easy. Don't know if that's a big deal or not, but have seen it happen a couple times.
>>
they look like shoah victims
>>
File: P1060912 - 2.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
P1060912 - 2.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
We have 2 and both are retired racers.

The left one, Kona is 13 years 11 months old, raced until she was 4. The right one, Vala is 8 years and 11 months, raced until she was 5.

It took the one on the left almost 3 years before we heard her bark, large lung capacity made for a very deep bark, which was surprising when we first heard it.

Both are really chill, low maintenance, affectionate and we have a large enough backyard that they have made circuits for themselves when they want to run, although the older one has slowed down considerably but still plays almost every day.

We will definitely consider getting more retired racers in the future.
>>
I've had whippets which have a similar demeanor, just different physiology.

Any racing hound is a great pet, just make sure to give them the exercise they sometimes need and train them mildly well, otherwise they will never listen to you and they will overthrow you as leader of the bed.
>>
>>2147467

But greyhounds exist.
>>
>>2149060
/pol/ pls go
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.