[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bonsai?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: borrar.jpg (41 KB, 350x436) Image search: [Google]
borrar.jpg
41 KB, 350x436
I just recently started to like trees and bonsais… is this a good place to post about them or do you know a 4chan style place focused to them? thanks
>>
>Bonsais
STOP MAKING JAP WORDS PLURAL
>>
I'd like to know more about Bonsai.

I got a Japanese dwarf maple growing in a container outside. It's just a babby 1-year graft. I don't know why I find something that's going to take years to flourish so interesting. I'd like to get a few more species.

Having a miniature tree like that looks dope. I haven't researched where to start though.
>>
>>2140764
While it's good practice to grow trees in containers, small 1-year grafts should be kept in the ground - trees grow far more readily in the ground than in a pot. OP picture is an Acer buergerianum or Trident Maple, and from its size is probably 20-50 years old.

The best way to git gud at bonsai is to drop $30-40 on a couple of well-developed trees, READ UP ON THEM, then carefully style them in the manner you learned from your research. You want to find material that already looks like a mini tree- good root flare, stout trunk, tapering trunk. If you want it really quick, you need well-placed branches too.

For beginner species, I recommend the trident maple - it grows fast, is pretty much bulletproof, and grows a nice trunk in a just a couple years. Do you know your USDA hardiness zone?
>>
>>2140773
>small 1-year grafts should be kept in the ground
I would if I owned this property. Since it's rented, it's not really my lawn to dig up. On top of that, I can't (easily) take the tree with me when I finally buy property and settle down (if that ever happens).
>>
>>2140181
maple bonsai best bonsai
>>
>>2140773
Oh also I live in zone 6

Also I was mistaken, it's actually a 3 year graft.
>>
>>2141173
>I can't easily take the tree with me when I leave
It's a bonsai, three swipes with a shovel and put it in a bucket. What's the problem?
>>
>>2141180
I was referring to a dwarf maple tree not a bonsai
>>
What tree should I try since I live in zone 9b?
>>
I wanna try with some natives in my area. Like a West Indian Mahogany, I got the seeds everywhere and the grow like weeds. How do I start?
>>
>>2141310
You need a tree with small leaves to make Bonsai work.

I don't think mahogany would work very well.
>>
File: 20160608_160236.jpg (52 KB, 975x548) Image search: [Google]
20160608_160236.jpg
52 KB, 975x548
>>2141314
I think Mahogany has small leaves. I just picked this out. And I'm definitely most maple leaves are larger than this
>>
>>2141317
Eh, it might work. Go for it!

Where do you live anyways?
>>
>>2141173
That sucks. Keep it in a good-sized pot and up-pot it every few years, then. It'll take a lot longer to get big, though.

>>2141204
Try Chinese Elm or Ficus.
>>
>>2141526
I was leaning towards Bald Cypress since I live in Louisiana. Do you have anything against it?
>>
>>2141533
Bald Cypress are great if you can collect a developed one. They take a long time to develop nice trunks, so get one with a good trunk already. They are very easy to take care of, they prefer moist soil (duh). They're one of the few trees you can grow in standing water.
Bald Cypress can be tough to collect, though. Expect to spend two of three hours digging one up, and be careful with the feeder roots. In my experience, they don't have many feeder roots close to the tree so you may need to collect one with very long roots which would need to be progressively pruned back over a period of years.
>>
File: KIMG0273.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0273.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
bonSAI

Had to tilt it to get it all in there. During replant
>>
>>2141317
Compound leaves don't reduce well
>>
>>2142041
You killed it.
Repotting in summer is bad. Usually a tree will survive if you treat it really nicely after a summer repot, but you went even further and barerooted it. I'm guessing this is a spruce? Spruce can NEVER have all of the soil removed from their roots - they have a vital relationship with mycorrhizae in the soil. I don't even know why you repotted.
>>
>Check map
>Three colors near where I live. Not 100 sure what I am
>Think it's 7a. Just Google 7a bonsai tree
>This ugly mother fucker pops up

Oh my god yes. I fucking love ugly things. Can anyone identify? If I can grow this ugly son'bitch in my zone I'm totally going to start tomorrow. It looks like a lost branch from a juniper tree.
>>
>>2140684
> Jap words?

What?
This is a thread about bonsais
>>
any suggestions on a beginner that wants an indoor direct window sunlight
>>
>>2142052
It's a pine.
>>
>>2142311
>Implying a spruce is not a pine
>>
>>2140181
How dare you? Do you have any idea the stress growing in 1/100 of the space it needs generates for the tree?
How would you like to live in a cage where you can't move, you get a glass of water every couple of days and almost no sun?
>>
>>2142320
Pinus contorta, or beach pine is known for an oddly BDSM relationship with its natural environment. This particular specimen has been particularly...contorted.
>>
File: 1455807873678.jpg (66 KB, 266x199) Image search: [Google]
1455807873678.jpg
66 KB, 266x199
>>2142331
>stress
>implying plants can feel stress
>implying most if not all animals can feel stress
>>
>>2142332
Pine still require my mycorrhizae. 90% chance it dies.
>>
>>2142095
dat big broccoli has scoliosis
>>
>>2142334
They do. Not in the sense we give it for us but they still do, and it affects their health.

And seriously, bonsai are a joke, reducing a tree to 1/50 its normal size just for muh beauty
It's fucking ridiculous
>>
>>2143878
Why are you getting assblasted over what people do to plants?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.