[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Secretly taking dog to dog park
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: pet paw prints.jpg (59 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
pet paw prints.jpg
59 KB, 500x375
Hey /an/. You may remember me. I am the OP from: https://desustorage.org/an/thread/1968920/#1968984

I live in an apartment with my small dog and my mom doesn't allow me to walk my dog on the ground and asks me to put him in a stroller instead.

So recently I've been secretly taking my dog to the dog park where he can run around (although he just tends to follow me all the time in the dog park). I haven't gotten him a leash or anything yet. Am I doing the right thing? My mom will be angry if she finds out that I am secretly taking him to the dog park. I am from a conservative Asian family so yeah there is this cultural aspect in this issue.

Also another thing. Today my dog pooped when he was at the dog park. I am worried that he will never poop at home after this (I've heard that dogs will never piss or poop indoors after they did that outside but I don't know if this is true or not). If this is the case, I am scared that my mom will find out that I am taking my dog to the dog park. I will be travelling abroad for a month soon and I cannot look after my dog during this period.

Should I continue taking my dog to the dog park or what?
>>
Yes, you're doing the right thing by allowing your dog to exercise and enjoy basic joys of doggy life.

I do think you should get him a leash though, and take him for walks instead. Since he seems to just enjoy walking with you/following you anyways. Plus, since he's mostly been kept indoors his entire life, he's bound to be lacking in socialization with other dogs. So taking him to the dog park may result in some conflicts with other dogs down the road (basically, your dog probably lacks doggy social skills, and other dogs might be off-put by this.) So at least for now, I'd recommend taking him for walks instead of taking him to the dog park.

Oh, and no, your dog will still go to the bathroom indoors if that's what he's used to. There's no need to worry that he'll stop. It probably feels more natural to him to go to the bathroom outside of his living space, but since he's trained to use the pads and it's what he's used to, he'll still use them. It's not like he can hold it forever anyways.

And thank you for doing the right thing, anon. I remember your other threads and I'm glad you decided to take action.
>>
>>2142456
He just tends to shy away from other dogs.
>I remember your other threads
You do remember me? It was ages ago since I've posted it. But yeah, I guess this was odd as other people in my neighborhood recognize me when I "walk" my dog as well.
>>
>>2142462
>He just tends to shy away from other dogs.
nothing wrong with that. it's better than him attacking the other dogs because he's unsocialized. give him some time, he'll probably interact with the dogs more as he becomes more comfortable with the situation.
>>
>>2142451
>I've heard that dogs will never piss or poop indoors after they did that outside but I don't know if this is true or not
it's not true.

I remember your other threads too, OP. good on you for doing something good for your dog.

as for park v. leash, what the other anon said about poor socialization probably is correct, but if the dog just wants to follow you, I don't see a real problem. generally, dogs that just do laps around the park with their owners are left alone by the dogs who want to play, in my experience. if you can't get a leash without being found out, I'd say continue what you're doing. you can always whisk your dog up into your arms if there's trouble.
>>
I think you are doing the right thing, OP.

Get him a 6ft leash and a 15ft leash. Sounds like he is a good boy and doesn't run off, so this is more for his protection to keep him away from dogs that will want to eat him. You can use the 15ft lead to work on recalling as well as playing chase. Given he likes to follow you, he may really like to play chase. Put him on the leash, act all goofy, and start to run around.
>>
>>2142550
>I remember your other threads too, OP
Am I actually that easy to recognize? I don't really use this site
>dogs that just do laps around the park with their owners are left alone by the dogs who want to play
Yeah this happened as well
>>2142554
>he likes to follow you
Btw why does my dog like to follow me? None of the other dogs at the dog park does that
>>
>>2142586
Maybe he is insecure being outside.
>>
>>2142554
>I think you are doing the right thing, OP.
>Get him a 6ft leash and a 15ft leash. Sounds like he is a good boy and doesn't run off, so this is more for his protection to keep him away from dogs that will want to eat him. You can use the 15ft lead to work on recalling as well as playing chase. Given he likes to follow you, he may really like to play chase. Put him on the leash, act all goofy, and start to run around.
Incorrect dogs are more aggressive on leash if they feel they have no escape.
>>
>>2142586
of course you're easy to recognize. a story about a crazy woman who won't allow her dog outside on the ground, wants her son to cart it around in a stroller, and actually forces it to go to the bathroom inside the house isn't exactly common.

the dog likes to follow you because it's spent its entire life inside with no real stimulation, and you've been introducing it to new situations. it's overwhelming. you are the only familiar thing in the dog park, so of course he's going to gravitate towards you. it'll take a LOT of time, but it's possible he'll eventually become more confident and explore on his own.
>>
>>2142612
>>2142614
I still have to remind myself that I am using 4chan and this site has a reputation for giving terrible advice.
It is more common within my culture? But still, some people in my neighbourhood can recognize me and my dog so I guess they find it odd as well.
>>
>>2142451
>I live in an apartment with my small dog and my mom doesn't allow me to walk my dog on the ground and asks me to put him in a stroller instead.

theres no way this is real.
>>
>>2142548
>give him some time, he'll probably interact with the dogs more as he becomes more comfortable with the situation

no, do not give him time. small dogs are unintelligent and poor socializers. if the dog is not socialized, it will not be able to socialize with other dogs, and you are asking for an attack and for the dog to be instantly killed.

dogs who weren't socialized don't pick up social skills later in life, *especially* not small dogs. this dog should never be allowed to get close to another dog.
>>
Is this bait? Are you actually being serious? I'm definitely falling for it.
>>
>>2142994
I live in Asia and this is surprisngly more common here
>>2142995
Really? Forever?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.