[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever cook for your pet? How often? Why? What do you give
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: cooking_with_dog_chef[1].jpg (64 KB, 623x338) Image search: [Google]
cooking_with_dog_chef[1].jpg
64 KB, 623x338
Do you ever cook for your pet?

How often? Why? What do you give them?

My pup got a hard start after I adopted him from the rescue; he came with a lot of parasites. I cooked a lot of chicken and rice through those months. Now, though, I scramble him an egg in the morning and put it in his kibble.

My uncle and aunt add a lot of stuff to their dog's kibble. He cooks chicken for the dog but will add in things from the family dinner like rice, vegetables, bread, etc.

My cousins rarely feed their dogs kibble at all and instead give them scraps from whatever they're cooking. They toss leftovers throughout the day into a bucket by the sink and give it to them at the end of the day. They're ranch dogs, so they exercise enough not to be overweight, at least, though I don't know how healthy it is for them.
>>
Putting an egg in with the kibble is fine and probably beneficial. Your uncle and aunt sound like what they are doing is ok too, maybe minus the bread.

However your cousins are stupid. You can't just feed a dog whatever you eat and not expect it to develop problems. Do they ever cook with garlic or onions? Those are bad for dogs and very common in cooking.

I think adding human food in moderation is fine, but cooking your dog food 100% of the time is probably detrimental unless you've done some serious research. My mom feeds her dogs chicken, rice and chicken jerky treats from China and that's it. One of her dogs just died early from dog diabetes basically. The dog had 3 times normal blood sugar levels and it's kidneys were failing. The other chihuahua is on its way because he's severely obese and obviously not healthy. I thought she'd learn her lesson after losing the first one but I guess not.
>>
I fed my last dog entirely on porridge, scrambled eggs and chicken and rice in his old age. He started developing digestive issues when he was about 12 and was fine eating these meals, but got an upset stomach on commercial dog food and red meat. I don't know if it was perfectly balanced, but my primary concern was seeing my old dog enjoying his food and not experiencing any discomfort from it, not squeezing every bit of longevity out of him. The little shit lived to nearly 16 so I ended up scrambling a lot of eggs for him after all.

I don't specifically cook for my cats, but I do put aside bits of unseasoned meat or fish that they can have as treats or mixed with their regular food.
>>
>>1998250
A lot of people forget that dogs started off eating our leftover scraps and living alright lives. Is it the best diet for them? Will they thrive on it? Probably not, but it's not like giving them crappy kibble that amounts to fast food either.

We know a lot more about dogs digestive systems than we used to and know the major foods that are poisen to dogs, so if someones going to give them mainly scraps, they can avoid overly seasoned foods and bad foods and probably still have a pretty healthy dog if they are taking them for checkups and doing everything else right.

Of course, if said person doesn't have a very healthy diet themselves, chances are the dog is going to be hurting too.

That being said, I do cook for my dog on occasion when I'm running low on kibble and can't get another bag for a while. I'll take out some old frozen chicken from the freezer, carrots, yams, peas, a little rice, and some oatmeal and basically make her a homecooked soup. I try to keep nutrition in mind while leaving out anything that could be bad for her, and use this combined with the kibble to just give me a bit more time before I have to go out and get her more food.
>>
>>1998250
I Cook three times a day for my dog, I'll start feeding it her raw when she's about 9 months. But for now she's not eatig fast enough so it's easier to have the food ready cooked.
>>
>>1998250

Whenever I trimmed meat or butchered a deer, I would always give the leavings to my dog. I also kept the rib bones after making short rib stew and froze them for him.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2840x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2840x2448
I feed a carefully formulated raw diet, including very specific freeze-dried meat treats. But I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
>>
I'm a Vet Tech so I'm gonna go on a bit of rant here because nutrition is super important and there are so many ways cooking for you dog can go wrong...
First off, in case this is still somehow a question in your minds,
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BALANCED VEGAN DIET FOR A DOG.
>B-but my dog is fine!
no he's not and he hates you.

ok so rant starts here:
when cooking for your pet, there are three SUPER important things to consider:
>is what I'm feeding him/her a balanced diet?
Balanced is not just making sure you've got all your groups and not too much fat and all that jazz. We're talking the boring but crucial stuff like vitamins, minerals, protein ratios, carbohydrates blahblahblah
Raw meat is never a good idea. There is NO scientific evidence that feeding a raw-meat diet to a dog is beneficial.
>B-but wolves in nature eat it! it's nature's way!
Wolves live like 4 years in nature. Domesticated dogs can live up to 20. The Calcium to phosphorus ratio is inverted and multiplied which causes calcification in muscles as well as a crapton of other serious problems.
Usually a veterinarian will suggest you buy specially made nutritional supplements for your food if you want to cook at home. It's not a marketing thing, it's a "if we tell you it's ok without explaining the details and your dog gets sick you'll sue us" kind of thing. Also, you know, we really love animals.

cont. next post, comment too long.
>>
>>1998522

>Know what's toxic to them
tomatoes, onions, garlic, potato skins, grapes, chocolate, xylitol blah blah blah do your research before imposing something this vital on your animal. Also be careful with bone fragments and other obviously dangerous things.

>understand your pet's dietary needs
If your dog is suddenly refusing to eat his kibble is looking kinda crappy, don't assume he just got bored of his food. You should ALWAYS consult a veterinarian before changing the diet of your pet. Your pet hasn't suddenly become a picky-eater, there may be something wrong.
Understand that if your pet has a renal or urinary or whatever condition that you should NOT take it upon yourself to manage its diet.

I am not saying that you shouldn't ever make your own dog food, but please do be aware that there are A LOT of things in play here. The veterinary diets your vet recommends have been tested and studied and sampled and studied and tested and researched x100, they know what is in them and what they are good for.
>>
>>1998522
Preemptive thank you, anon. I see way too many rabid advocates of all-raw diet here because muh wolves
>>
>>1998527
There's a lot of stuff I left out because this is a huge subject...

BY THE WAY
you CAN boil some rice and boil some beef (no seasoning or anything) and offer it to your dog (no rice for cats) if they are having a random episode of diarrhea. I'm talking like they had dierrhea once or twice today, everybody gets those from time to time no? These are very digestible ingredients that will not irritate your pet's digestive tract in the short run.Plus they are very low risk for allergic reactions, again, in the short term.
If the next day your dog is STILL having diarrhea with no improvement then PLEASE consult a doctor... rice and beef can only do so much...
/rant :)
>>
Check out this woman's page for some info on diet supplements in case you really want to cook for your pet:
http://www.completeandbalanced.com/
>>
>>1998522
>taking advice from someone whose livelihood depends on shilling Purina and Royal Canin

Yeah, no thanks. I'll stick to information from people who have actually studied animal nutrition.
>>
>>1998578
>actually studied animal nutrition
>not beleiving someone who is studied it for 4 years and is a certified pet nutrition advisor
Yeah whatever floats your boat, it's a shame your pet has to suffer for your ego though.
>>
>>1998250
Question

Are cooked tenderloin steaks okay for maltese? I use a bit of corn oil and usually around 70 grams of meat
>>
>>1998713
>pet nutrition advisor
Yeah, I'm talking about people who have their PhD in animal nutrition and consult for zoos. Peoples whose "nutrition education" wasn't sponsored by Hills or Purina.

But by all means, keep shilling.
>>
>>1998715
They are okay as an occasional treat, but as regular meals you'll need to add more to make it balanced. I'd also recommend forgoing the oil if you can, don't want to run the risk of pancreatitis.
>>
I feed raw because i'm not a huge faggot
>>
How many people here are actually /fit/? The way you guys describe how you cook for your dogs, you sound like bodybuilders prepping their meals. Kinda sad when you think about how your dogs eat a more balanced and healthy diet than their owners.
>>
>>1998784
>Kinda sad when you think about how your dogs eat a more balanced and healthy diet than their owners.

I care about my dog more than myself half the time. Plus it fills that parental gap of needing to nurture something, but not wanting the huge responsibility that comes with an actual kid.
>>
>>1998737
>consult for zoos
>talking about domestic dogs

nice one. but there's no actual evidence raw meat is better for your dog. and there's plenty of known complications with it
>>
>>1999005
Actually there are multiple studies about how the nutritions change/vanish with heat treatment.
What are the so called complications?
>>
Am I the only one who finds it amusing that everyone who is anti-kibble has fed kibble before and made their decision based on that experience, yet almost none of the people who are anti-raw have tried even a commercial raw diet?
>>
>>1998250
i bought a border collie that was taken from the mother too early, and thus had a very sensitive stomache. had to give him boiled meat with rice for a few months.

but aside from that, not really.
>>
>>1998784
You make a pretty humorous point, I am completely guilty of eating less healthy than my dog. But the way I see it--dogs don't get to choose what they eat, they depend on us to feed them and keep them healthy. And it's not like my dog is less happy eating a healthy meat treat versus a starchy biscuit. I can justify making health trade-offs for myself, but I can't justify it for my dog. And as far as cost/benefit, the extra time and money I spend are far outweighed by my pup's increased health. I just want her to live the longest, happiest life possible.

My roommates also feed raw, but they are vegans themselves. And they are very deliberate about it, they actually cook and balance their own diet instead of relying on the packaged vegan junk food. It is an insane level of dedication involved in that lifestyle, I don't envy them.
>>
>>1999005
>domestic dogs are not animals and therefore not subject to the same bio molecular principles as every other living being
>>
What's wrong with the brand purina? Just realised that's what i've been using for my pup
>>
>>1999847
It's shit, that's what
>>
>>1999867
Care to explain why?
>>
>What I add to kibbles:

raw meat
cooked or uncooked eggs
cooked or uncooked veggies
joghurt

>What I feed on the side:

meat bones
turkey necks
raw chicken pieces with bones

>Super rare treat because unhealthy
Sandwich
Pasta with sauce
Chili
human food in general that is not explicitly toxic like grapes or onions
>>
>>1998784
i mostly sustain myself with ramen. But the dog didn't decide to live with me so I try to treat her as best as I can. see:>>1999943
>>
my s/o and i cook + prepare fresh food every day for our birds + for his dog sometimes (not often for her cuz he's a vegetarian and i'm vegan)

>>1998784

i eat about the same as my birds... i'll make them food when i can't eat and they have eggs and sometimes bread or pasta which i don't eat, but for the most part it's no different...
>>
>>1999878
Its full of corn and grains
>>
>>2000061
I hope you don't give the dog vegan diet
>>
>>2000000
checked
>>
>>1999847

Nothing, your dog can survive on it and be perfectly healthy. These autistic fucks like to believe that having a dog on an all meat diet will make them so much healthier.
>>
>>1999014

>Actually there are multiple studies about how the nutritions change/vanish with heat treatment.

No. no their isn't.
>>
>>2000215

i thought that was obvious we didn't when i said we don't cook for the dog often cuz neither of us eat meat... she mostly eats dog food, but my s/o will mix it up with leftovers or rice or whatever (dog safe food) sometimes... i'm aware dogs should be eating meat, and she does...

shit our birds aren't even vegan they eat eggs... they just also eat nearly everything i do (just not like eggplant, tomatoes, avocado etc)

it's just me who's vegan and i don't impose it on anyone my s/o and our pets included...
>>
>>2000279

+ i'm not vegan for moral reasons anyway... i think meat is gross and get allergic reactions to eggs etc
>>
>>2000279

that it was*
>>
>>2000260
>not knowing basic nutritional principles, and denying them
I hope you are only trolling
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.