[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever worked with pigeons ? How do I know whether they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1413149648681.jpg (7 KB, 227x200) Image search: [Google]
1413149648681.jpg
7 KB, 227x200
Has anyone ever worked with pigeons ? How do I know whether they like me or not ? There is this one pigeon that hates me with a passion but there are also some that kinda peck my fingers lightly.

Pigeon thread ?
>>
>>2130267

I really like pigeons. The noises they make are soothing to me.

I once rescued a pigeon that had become trapped in a garbage can at work. This particular style of garbage can had a spring door at the top facing directly upwards instead of facing parallel to the ground as most spring garbages do. Pigeon landed on door, door opened from the weight, pigeon fell in, door snapped closed. I'm working outside near this garbage and every couple minutes i hear this THUMP THUMP THUMP noise. Had no idea where it was come from. Finally identify garbage can. Open can. Oh hello there pigeon. Remove garbage lid. Pigeon waits a full 15 minutes before realizing it can fly out now.
>>
Pigeons are pretty cool. They're also racist bastards. They tend to only breed with pigeons that look like they do. This is why you only very rarely see pigeons that are natural colors. Their bird racism is keeping them domesticated colors.
>>
>>2130267

I've worked with pigeons for a few years, I love them very much.

Good signs: coming towards you when they see you, cooing, light pecking.

Bad signs: wing slapping, inflating crop, fluffed feathers, aggressive biting, aggressive neck bobbling
>>
>>2130276
That's not true, here in Nevada you have pigeons in flocks that are all sorts of colors. Some are your stereotypical grey with the neck band. Others are cream colored with brown/black/grey spots randomly all over them. And still more types.

They all get along great with each other and making lots of chicks.

I, personally, love it. There's this one pigeon near our house that doesn't coo so much as hoots. First time I heard it I was confused as fuck because it was broad day light but I thought it was a really small owl.
>>
>>2130510
Ok I concede. I drew my conclusion based on my local pigeons which almost all look alike. After doing some research, I wasn't able to find any documentation to support my conclusion.
>>
>>2130544
You are everything that is wrong with this board
>I made an observation one time
>better present it to the world as a fact
>>
>>2130849
What? Instead of being an argumentative asshole and arguing my point to death even though I now know I'm wrong? Whatever. Get the fuck over yourself. My response is best response to opposition. If more people responded like I did, the world would be less fucked in general.
>>
I live in paris, pigeons are barely scared by us humans at this point. Dey too many
>>
File: 1463452331525.jpg (62 KB, 623x713) Image search: [Google]
1463452331525.jpg
62 KB, 623x713
>>2130849
>makes an obsetvation and tell us about it because it goes against the claims of another anon
>comes back to tell us it's just a field observation and nothing scientifically documented
>is "everythong that's wrong with this board"

You'd be surprised to see that for this board like for many others, the true problem is assholes.
>>
>>2131744
>>2130997

>Waahhh give me credit for being wrong
>I'd like a participation award

oh yeah, a board full of people giving inaccurate and irresponsible advice that affects the welfare of animals, but the real problem is rudeness.
>>
>>2130544
Well, in all fairness it's possible you are actually correct. When you have massive flocks of pigeons, and each one looks exactly the same, then maybe they tend to avoid the random pigeon that looks different due to mob/flock mentality.

I suppose that the flock where I live could be the unusual one due to the fact that almost every bird looks different from the others, so they are used to it.

For all I know, this flock could have been created from the rejects of larger flocks further away. And that's why they all look unique.

If that's true, then it's kind of sad. All the pigeons in my town are the bird equivalent of forever alone neets.
>>
>>2131886
Pigeons are awesome little birds either way. I like the sounds they make. Very soothing.
>>
>>2132614
Oh yes, I love it. I just wish the ones around here weren't so people shy.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 960x554) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 960x554
>there are no pigeons around where I live
I mainly just get cardinals
>>
File: pigeons.jpg (35 KB, 470x375) Image search: [Google]
pigeons.jpg
35 KB, 470x375
I've considered raising pigeons. They can apparently home in on their roost so they can be let go and come back. I love doves but I'm not sure I could keep birds in a cage without feeling badly.

Plus you can get some cool breeds.
>>
>>2130849
>I can't get layed in real life, and no one respects me because I have a shitty attitude that scares everyone off
>Better belittle people on the internet so I can get some form of meager satisfaction

I understand you're angry with the world anon, and I would just like you to know that despite the shit card life through you, someone out there cares about you. Someone loves you.
>>
>>2131865
how is saying birds are racist irresponsible advice. It was just obvious shitposting which is an integral part of the 4chan experience and anon was cool about it. Go back to tumblr.
>>
>>2130267
will this bird be ok?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.